Start by marking “Three Days Till Dawn (Antiquity's Gate, #1)” as Want to Read:
Three Days Till Dawn (Antiquity's Gate, #1)

Three Days Till Dawn

(Antiquity's Gate #1)

Antiquity’s Gate forced two realities to collide—what followed tore one of them apart.

Now those who remain coexist beneath the shelter of a domed Antarctic city, held together by a tenuous peace and an increasingly dystopian hierarchy. Any hope of one day leaving the confines of Sanctuary is little more than a fading ember.

A mid-level systems operator, Ripley does his
ebook, Advanced Reader's Edition, 432 pages
Published August 27th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Three Days Till Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Days Till Dawn

Start your review of Three Days Till Dawn (Antiquity's Gate, #1)
Mrs. Y
Sep 30, 2019 added it
I'm giving you a review today of R.F Hurteau's "Three Days Till Dawn" which is the first in her Antiquity's Gate series. R.F asked me to read her book, and I picked this up on NetGalley before she'd published.

Let me start with the first impression, and I'm going to spoil it slightly, I was impressed. This story may sound from the elements I've said like something out of Tolkien, but it's not. This is more like 1984 meets an Urban Dystopian Fantasy, and it WORKS! I know! I was surprised too! ...more
J. M. Benefield
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not kidding, this book zapped me right into a different world. The struggles, the multi dimensional characters, the plot twists... Dude. Ever been on a roller coaster ride?!
Dawn Hosmer
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Three Days Till Dawn, even though Sci-fi is not my preferred genre. Hurteau did a phenomenal job of creating a cast of characters and a story line that immediately drew me in and kept me turning the pages. The characters and scenario were believable and intriguing. Three Days Till Dawn is a fabulous debut novel and I can't wait to read the rest of the series. Great book for those who enjoy Sci-Fi or character driven stories.
Xerxes
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Warning: Contains little spoliers

Antiquity's Gate is a novel where you could seriously see this as being adapted into a Netflix film/tv series.

The plot is simple. Years ago a bunch of aliens named the Therans who are basically the Elves came to earth. What do you think happens next? Boom! Apolocyapse 2.0 and here we are with humans living in enclaved societies run by these Therans. Needless to say, both sides don't like each other. Plus you also have halfies!

F
Trey Stone
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Being a part of the #WritingCommunity on Twitter has it’s perks, because when you get to know a lot of authors, you get to be there for all their awesome cover reveals. That’s what happened here, and I was lucky enough to win an Advanced Reader Copy of this book at the same time.

Three Days Till Dawn is the story about Ripley and Felix, a human and half-elf, best friends, both living in the last human city in the world, Sanctuary, in Antarctica. Antiquity’s Gate is mystical structure
Harli Park
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Okay, I’m cool. I’m cool.

I fucking loved this book.

I have had so many disappointing reads that finding one that just gives me what I want is such a breath of fresh air that I can’t even describe it. Though this book is very much a Young Adult book and, for once, that is not to its detriment as others I have read. It knows its focus, it's not trying to be more. It just lets the story happen. Even with the wide cast of characters,
K C
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great pacing and brilliant dovetailing of the chapters? Check. Lively characters in an interesting setting? Check. Great conflict and tough decisions for our heroes? Check. Great vocabulary for the logophile? Check. Writing that makes you feel? Check. I laughed, worried, sighed and cried. Great binge-reading material. I literally couldn't put it down and stayed up half the night to read it in a single sitting. This book really does check all the boxes for me. I'm usually not a huge sci-fi reader ...more
A.E. Faulkner
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book because it was published by a fellow indie author. And I must say, this is how it's done!! Superb writing, great story, compelling characters. I really enjoyed the story. Looking back, it may seem like a lot of characters, but with the way the story was written, I never felt confused or like I was trying to keep up. I loved the inter-connectivity of some of those relationships. No spoilers here.

About halfway through the story, I had my suspicions of how it was going
Sherlock
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I connected with this author through twitter and she sent me a free copy in exchange for an unbiased review.

So with that out of the way.

I LOVED this book.

Let me preface this by saying I'm not a massive fan of sci fi. So for me to love something in that genre it has to be pretty spectacular.

The way everything is slowly drip fed to you in pieces makes it feel as though you are learning about the characters by spending time with them, rather than an info dump. That alone would cover
Allison Pearl
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
There’s always something special about reading your way into a new world and the world of Three Days Till Dawn is sure to stick with you. As these lovable characters stumble into a diabolical conspiracy, it won’t just be the ice and snow that sends shivers down your spine but also the high stakes that put the lives of everyone you're rooting for in danger. A great start to what is sure to be a harrowing tale by R.F. Hurteau.
Swearingen Durham
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW. Love the idea of space elves and plot twists? This is the book for you. Fans of Ridley Scott and Marie Liu will feel right at home in this series. The pace was perfect and the attention to technical detail proves Hurteau knows exactly what she's talking about. Ripley and Felix are some of the most lovable characters I've come across, but I'm going to have to name Ambrose as my favorite. Now I need a film/TV franchise. Can't wait to dive into the next one!
Dani
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three days Till Dawn is a perfectly paced, stunning, and immersive adventure into a beautifully complex and nuanced post-apocalyptic society. The author has created a world so rich and believable, I felt like I had lost something wonderful when the story ended. I wanted back in to Sanctuary, and I wanted more time with the lovable, authentic protagonists the author has created. I found myself entirely invested in the fate of Sanctuary and in the fates of Ripley, Felix, and Willow. I can't wait f ...more
TheDigressiveApproach
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing an eARC in exchange for an honest review.
---
I thoroughly enjoyed this. The writing style is not extravagant and neither is it dry, it is just right, I liekd the world-building and characterization, plot pace and execution. Frankly, this was a great read and I'll be continuing the series,

Overall rating: 5/5 stars
Sarah Chase
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
((I received an ARC))

Antiquity’s Gate, Three Days Till Dawn, is a dystopian / sci fi with immersive world building and a great cast of characters to root for.

The multiple POVs weave together well, creating a full picture of the story. As the reader, I enjoyed experiencing the world and it’s rules, through the characters’ experiences.

I felt the pacing was well timed, and picks up as the book goes on. It made for a fun read!
Amanda N.
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. The characters are well developed and the story is solid. The author’s intertwining of several plot lines is ingenious and very well done. It’s both clean and entertaining. If you like feel good characters and Sci-fi, this book is for you!
Kerri Davidson
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How can I leave a six star review?!
The entire experience of reading this book was, for lack of a better word, satisfying.
It took me to a place where the very best of books should... Out of this world.
Good luck to the next one I review.
It’s going to have a tough act to follow.
Professor Cognome
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got to preview this book a few months ago. It is different in a way that is surprising and delightful. An auspicious debut for this New England author! ...more
Megan
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Three Days Till Dawn is an immersive society that I found myself intrigued by. I loved the introduction of the poem, and although it started off a bit slow, it did pick up and I found myself slowly immersed into the Sigil society. R.F. Hurteau does well to mix Mystery and Science Fiction together while keeping the reader engaged.
Riya M
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you're a fan of sci-fi, action, character-centered plots, and greate bromance, this book is just for you. I liked the book. It's a refreshing read with a promising premise. Read my full review here (non-spoiler and spoiler):
Jacob Rundle
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For months, I saw R.F. Hurteau's cover on Twitter. I received a copy of Antiquity's Gate. And, I'm glad that I read this novel. It's been a while since I've read a novel that completely blew my mind. This novel had everything: Elves, magick, multidimensional interactions, mystery, intrigue. All throughout the story, I never knew how it was going to go. I loved the magic in it. The dark tone was fabulous!!! I really loved the concept of the Antiquity's Gate. Such a great, new idea.
Who doesn't li
B.A. Gabrielle
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
"How long did it lay, in the ice tucked away,
That silent strange traveler from space?
Alone, without sound, it hid in the ground,
Content in the snow's cold embrace.

Till upon it they stumbled, by such a majesty humbled,
So eager its secrets to find.
But their greed, it had made them all blind.

That which slumbered, now woken, with wonders unspoken,
Took root and continued to thrive.
How could they have guessed? They'd have left it to res
Carro Herdegen
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kiss-the-book
Language: PG (8 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG; Violence: PG13
Therans, an elflike race, rule the colony Sanctuary, a dome located in Antarctica that makes living possible for the Therans, humans, and Halfies. Though the people are currently surviving, the humans and Halfies are not living. Several humans and Halfies are ready for a change, and the opportunity to do something is now but as risk of their lives—will they even try?
The story was not nearly as interesting as I wanted i
Korina
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let me preface this review by saying, I do not gravitate towards science fiction. However, just as Star Trek: The Next Generation made me love a science fiction TV show, Three Days Till Dawn made me love a science fiction book. What they both have in common are characters and relationships that you really care about. The domed city the author creates and the societal hierarchy within its walls are relatable, yet fascinating. I was totally immersed in that world. I found myself rooting for Ripley ...more
Shaunna McLaren
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got this one for free on Netgalley and it was, to my surprise, my favourite read of the month.

R. F. Hurteau has written a sci-fi novel that is extremely accessible. I wouldn’t consider myself to be a fan of sci-fi, but I found this very easy to read, and really enjoyable, especially due to its character-driven nature. Hurteau has a strong writing style, delivering good, detailed world-building and natural dialogue and humour between her characters. The only downside about Antiquity’s Gate, fo
WB Welch
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Antiquity's Gate so much. The author did such a wonderful job at creating an environment I could really fall into. The characters, the setting, the dilema...everything about this book kept me locked into its pages. I can't wait to read the rest of the series!
Sarah Burns
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story and am beyond exited to see where it leads!
Kristen Burns
3.5 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book via NetGalley. This has not influenced my review.*

This was a good book with a cool premise about humans and elves living in domes with a dystopian society post-apocalypse.

I think the reason it didn’t fully click with me though was because the book was more focused on plot than characters. It was the characters’ motivation that moved the plot forward, but there were a lot of POVs with related but different things going on so/>
Catherine Rector
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up in an effort to read more indie authors and was not disappointed.

I really enjoyed this book. My absolute favourite aspect was the slow-burn worldbuilding. Hurteau managed to build an entire unknown world for the reader through conversation and description that felt genuine. No info dumps or drawn-out moments. It felt almost like one of those Christmas advent calendars, where every page pulled back a tiny window that let you see a little bit more.

This style was crucial to the b
E.J. Dawson
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of beta reading this book, but had to pick it back up again to see the final product and it captured me all over again. Harking back to my childhood science fiction of Logan's Run, the story is set in a dystopian apocalyptic world where the social norms are dictated by two races, Therans manage humanity's fate in a bureaucratic rigidity that chaffs. But its what they have to do to survive.

Hurteau's story of friendship, love, and what one is willing to do to save t
Maxine Robinson
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
I liked that the author has covered some tough topics, racism, bigotry, elitism, so well. And they are wrapped up in what feels like a light-hearted read.

I thought it was good for the most part. There were a couple of different story lines, with different characters which was fine until about 50% through and then it became confusing, it almost felt like the author lost her handle on the story a little bit if that makes sense. The pacing is a bit patchy in the second half. I think thi

• Bits & Pieces
  • Olive & Pekoe: In Four Short Walks
  • My Cat Looks Like My Dad
  • How to Give Your Cat a Bath: In Five Easy Steps
  • Blood Drops: A Collection of Horror Short Stories
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • Side Chick Nation
  • Qwerty
  • Aletheia  (The Seventh River #1)
  • Peripheral Vision: A Supernatural Thriller
  • Along Comes a Wolfe (Shepherd & Wolfe Mystery #1)
  • Planet Urth: Extinction (Book 6)
In the amount of time it takes you to read this, R.F. Hurteau will have finished yet another cup of coffee. More caffiene than human, she harnesses the powers of this magical bean juice to create stories that explore worlds unknown through the lens of that age old curiosity that drives all creatives: the human condition. She lives in New England with her husband, five kids, and an impressive array ...more

Antiquity's Gate (3 books)
  • Through A Mirror, Darkly (Antiquity's Gate, #2)
  • Strands of Fate (Antiquity's Gate #3)