Start by marking “Half-Shell Prophecies” as Want to Read:
Half-Shell Prophecies

Half-Shell Prophecies

(Among the Mythos #1)

Librarian's note: There is an Alternate Cover Edition for this edition of this book here.

This cover edition is out-of-date.

FRIGHTENED MONSTERS. STOLEN TIME. AND ONE SERIOUSLY UNDERESTIMATED DAMSEL.

Katie ran from the magical world years ago. She never planned on being dragged back in by a prophesying clamshell.

The seers believe she alone can prevent an apocalypse of ruined
Kindle Edition
Published by Amazon Digital Services (first published January 19th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Half-Shell Prophecies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Half-Shell Prophecies

Start your review of Half-Shell Prophecies
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars - I couldn’t get my nose out of the book. I finished it within two days. It’s full of action, snarky characters, could-be romance between enemies to lovers, no less (pulled off really well! You might know that I normally hate this trope) and all sorts of other wacky things. It was great!

I actually have this whole post about these books, this series is AMAZING!!! My reasons why:

How I read this: free review copy from author in exchange for an honest review, did not affect my opinion

Teddi Deppner
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
The first thing that drew me to Ruthanne Reed's writing was actually a piece of art posted on Facebook. A stunning piece of fantasy art for the book "Notte" (which is due out later this year, I think). Then I read an excerpt that caught my imagination. I signed up for her newsletter. She sent out another excerpt that was so compelling that I stayed on her newsletter and marked her in my mind as an author whose style matches my tastes as a reader.

So let's talk about the Half-Shell Prophecies. I
Devann
I started off really enjoying this. It's got some great world-building, Katie is [for the most part] a fun and snarky protagonist, and it seemed very genre-savvy and would often make jokes and asides about common [often annoying] tropes. But then ...there's Bran.

Katie makes sure to say about 500 times how she is totally NOT into him and that he's weird and creepy and sometimes rapey [ALL TRUE] and at one point even says "He was seven, eight hundred years old. I’m twenty-three. This was not a
Antonia Juel
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This, apparently, is only one book out of many set in the same universe. I may not have started from the beginning, but I did enjoy reading this story. The flashbacks and explanations of previous events were thorough enough for me to drop right into the story and follow along.

I'm sure you can all find blurbs and synopses elsewhere, so I'm just going to tell you my thoughts on the book:
What stands out to me when reading this story is the sarcasm and self-deprecation of the main character. She is
S. Aeschliman
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, tension-filled, fast-paced fantasy that draws heavily from a whole bunch of mythologies but gives them its own twist and has a strong female character who's independent and capable but still needs help sometimes (as all us badasses do). Once I was hooked (5th paragraph) I was along for the delightful & thrilling ride all the way to the end. And despite the fast pace, I can tell that Reid put a lot of herself into this book. Loved it.
Leah Petersen
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. Operation Ruthanne Writes A Fun and Fascinating Romp. The sassy, strong-willed voice of the protagonist is awesome. She's fun to accompany through the beautifully imagined worlds. The author's descriptions are evocative and immersive, the settings well-developed and unique. Scraps of myths and fairy tales from all over the world woven together into a fascinating journey.

The romance is subtle and slow-burning. This is a woman who doesn't have time for this sh*t,
Aidan Darnell
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I talk in my sleep and occasionally my wife - if she's awake - will carry on mini conversations with me. One such conversation occurred one night after I'd fallen asleep shortly after reading this book:

Me: *mumbling* It's a good chapter...

Her: What's a good chapter?

Me: The book.

Her: Who's book?

Me: Ruthanne's.

Her: What's it about?

Me: I don't know. I haven't finished it yet.

Having now finished Half-Shell Prophecies, I can tell you a bit about what the book is about. It is about magic, time,
writegeist
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit I'm not part of the prime demographic for this novel. But while I'm not a fan of Sookie and Anita and the other urban fantasy heroines, I still can appreciate a well-written story. The story synopsis had a "Neil Gaimian" quality to it that intrigued me, so I took a chance. This one definitely fits the bill. The main character, Katie, is engaging and intelligent, gaining enough of my sympathy to want to see her succeed against overwhelming odds. Reid's world-building is top-notch, ...more
Cloud
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, own
First off, I LOVED it! I would say Ruthanne Reid knocked this one out of the park on all fronts. I adore the main character Katie and just the wild adventure that she goes through is astounding. The worlds that the author builds feel real and gritty and something that I believe in as this tale unfolds. The magic system feels very well thought out and that there is a reason for everything. I may not know all those reasons yet, but everything feels rich and alive.

I would recommend reading The
Wendy
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruthanne is a master storyteller and one of the top authors I look to learn more about world building. Being a reader and writer, I read this book from both those perspectives. It totally held my interest. Kathy Lin, the heroine, is captivating throughout the book. She is witty, smart and snarky.

Katie is a 'seriously underestimated damsel', as the tagline states. If you like dragons, wizards, and multiple races and worlds, this book is for you. Once I started reading it, I had a hard time
Kirsti Call
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author
Just. Wow. This book is beautifully written, fast paced, and filled with engaging characters. I loved the world building, the creativity of the plot, and the interplay between good and evil.

Katie is an MC with grit and bravery. The way she thinks and talks makes her likable and someone who I would love to have as a friend.

I can't wait to read more about Katie and the rest of the characters in this book!
Derelict Space Sheep
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
42 WORD REVIEW:

An urban quest fantasy with attitude. In the Mythos Ruthanne Reid concocts a world — or parallel worlds — well worth exploring, and in Katie Lin an irreverent, outspoken protagonist to guide us through them. Half-Shell Prophecies stands apart in the best possible way.
J.M. Frey
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruthanne Reid's voice is modern and absolutely refreshing. I adore her self-aware heroines and worlds, the way she writes women who are not only strong but kind, and men who are tender, complicated, and work hard to break out of the stereotypes of masculinity that are thrust onto them by their own cultures.

Reid's imagination is enchanting as well - her world is unabashedly and unashamedly complicated, and if you're looking fora a fantasy author who spoon feeds you, look elsewhere. Reid believes
Brian Greiner
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly enjoyable adventure with a rich mythos. The plotting is crisp, the characters are well-developed and believable, and the story is engrossing. It was a fun and satisfying read. It left me wanting to learn more about the mythos and the characters.
It would be all-too easy to compare this to Jim Butcher's 'Dresden' series, but Ms. Reid's mythos is substantially different, if equally complex. The protagonist in each series is well-developed, but quite different in their world-views and how
TheGood ByeGirl
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readathon-2017
Fantastic! demon's, dragons, Merlin and more, loved it!
Stephanie Morrison
The 'Chosen One' with a contemporary twist.

Love fantasy but think you've seen it all? Think again. The 'Half-Shell Prophecies' takes your expectations and shakes them up - in a good way. The protagonist (Katie Lin) is a jaded woman who has always known about the magical world (the Mythos)...and she's turned her back on it. She knows enough to want no part of the trials and tribulations that are part of the Mythos. Of course, she gets forced into a world-altering conflict anyways, and handles
Yoanna
This was a very interesting read. And I have to be honest, it's one of those times "interesting" is very ambiguous.

We follow Katie Lin, an outcast-by-choice from her own magical kind (the Kin) who is dragged into a big time power struggle between some of the oldest and most powerful beings in all the worlds. All because a half-clamshell of a prophetess claimed she's the keystone to it all. Technically, she was right in the end, but not for reasons you might think in the beginning. Or the
Maxine
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author lets her characters speak for themselves and it makes all the difference; the writing comes alive and feels natural. When an author has an agenda it shows it stilted and unnatural characters and unlikely speech-none of that here! I wont detail plot- but i will list the things i like especially :)

*no sex scenes- i love this because i prefer YA books and am not into adult themes. Its usually painful to read gratuitous sex so i love how Ruthanne doesnt rely on cheap sex to sell her book-
Jan Perry
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Katie Lin! She is a resourceful not-exactly human. The adventures and the world were well crafted. Reading Reid's work is a joy. Well done!
Kris
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much fun!

Each trip into the Mythos leads to unexpected people, places, and events. Katie, our heroine, tells her story as events evolve around her, creating a comfortable way to learn about this unfamiliar world. Some characters we already know make an appearance (they are re-introduced for new readers), and they are joined by many new ones with complicated backgrounds and deep secrets. Also, I love how Katie saves herself ... she is a stubborn, resourceful character who stands up for herself
Bruce
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's a lot to like about this book.

The story starts with Katie Lin who, while appearing human, is a bit more. Unlike the "Ever-Dying" ("humans" or as J.K. Rowling called them, "muggles"), Katie is magical. In her world, the "Ever-Dying" read about magic but don't think it's real, like many people believe about angels and demons in our world.

The book immediately kicks off with Katie on the run with someone from one of the other magical races without a clue as to why she's running or why she's
Bruce Dinsman
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Quite a bumpy ride and I must confess I got lost a lot. What genre am I in here?
Anindita,  A Bohemian Mind at Work
Scary monstrous Lords of parallel universes conduct a cat and mouse chase after the lost Lin. That's the story of Half-Shell-Prophecies.

Half a clamshell that holds the spirit of Cassandra, the real seer, squeaks out cryptic warnings at Bran and Katie at irregular intervals. Yeah, she is a funny thing.

Bran, the Crow King, is handsome (as Katie repeatedly informs us) and aristocratic (I assumed this one), and the potential love interest (forced) of the protagonist.

There are other important but
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
ARC for honest review.

This is my first foray into the world of Katie Lin and the Mythos. I'll give a small overview of the world for those that are newbies. Parallel universes, pocket universes, time warping/controlling/stealing, gods, hot 'demons', hot fey, hot vampires, talking shells, seers, prophecies, dragons (both cute and intimidating)...I could go on. It's a LOT to keep track of, but, luckily, readers are in good hands here. Reid manages to keep things straight in her head and ours
Leigh
Chris
Apr 23, 2017
emily thompson
Mar 17, 2017
Goodreads Librari...: EEK! I uploaded the wrong cover image - help, please! 17 40 Mar 11, 2017 03:25PM

• The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)
  • Between Homes (The City Between, #5)
  • Aurora Blazing (Consortium Rebellion, #2)
  • The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic
  • How Rory Thorne Destroyed the Multiverse (The Thorne Chronicles, #1)
  • The Engagement Game (49th Floor, #3)
  • Carnal Innocence
  • The Wind's Call (The Broken Lands, #4)
  • No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1)
  • Shockwave (Dr. Wolf - The Fae Rift #1)
  • Demon Spiral (Dr. Wolf - The Fae Rift #2)
  • Baby, I'm Howling for You (Alphaville, #1)
  • The Incubus Impasse (A Charlie Rhodes Mystery, #6)
  • Family and Honor (Jacky Leon #2)
  • Butterface (The Hartigans, #1)
  • A Madness of Sunshine
  • How to Kiss an Undead Bride: The Epilogues (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #7)
  • The Horse Mistress: Book 1 (The Eburosi Chronicles, #1)
Would you believe this third-person intro is being written by the very same individual about whom it is written?

I know. Completely blows her mind, too.

Ruthanne Reid is one of those pesky fanfiction authors who made good, and thus eschews most labels. Except for being a Generation X-er (or maybe Xennial, according to some guy’s webpage), a musician who loves music but also carries a ton of baggage

Among the Mythos (5 books)
  • The Christmas Dragon
  • Strings
  • Seed (Among the Mythos)
  • The Sundered