Start by marking “The Christmas Dragon” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Dragon

The Christmas Dragon

(Among the Mythos #0.0)

All Katie Lin wants is to get away from her family: from the magic, from the mayhem, and from the never-ending war. Unfortunately, someone has other ideas, and sends her a box. A box that jumps.

The tiny fire hazard inside may just force her back to Wales – and right into the path of a dragon war, the Crow King, and at least one reluctant elf prince. Sometimes, running away
Kindle Edition
Published by 4th Floor Publication (first published February 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Dragon

Start your review of The Christmas Dragon
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
How I read this: ebook gifted by the author

I fell in love with Ruthanne Reid's writing when I read The Sundered. But I was worried which one to read next - as it turns out, I started at the right spot (duh, should have looked up the Goodreads series numbers, facepalm). Now I'm set to read the next novels - Half-Shell Prophecies and Strings. This was sort of a short novelette of an intro to the characters. Plus, (view spoiler) and the cutest baby dragon ever. (I am dying of
Intisar Khanani
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
For starters, just to make sure we're all on the same page, this is *not* a dragon shifter romance set at Christmas. It is a story about a rather bouncy package left on our heroine's doorstep that appears to be a Christmas gift but, in fact, contains (you guessed it!) a baby dragon. Katie Lin has done her best to leave her magical heritage behind and live a "normal" life - which all goes to pot when the (rather adorable) baby dragon shows up. Now Katie must return to the magical world to get the ...more
Devann

I actually read the next short story in the series - Strings - before reading this one so I'm doing it a little bit out of order but they aren't directly related so I think you can skip around a bit, although there is a bit of a set up for Strings towards the end of this book so that was a fun little Easter Egg.

This was just a really fun story and my only complaint is that I wish it had been a bit longer
Sherry Fundin
The box jumped. Between the cover and the first sentence, I knew this is a story I wanted to read. The writing was humorous from the opening line and I started laughing when I read about the rusty wand. Magic and a snow white dragon, what’s not to love?

This is a short story that left me wanting to know more.

Katie had left her family because she wanted a normal life, without magic. She is Merlin’s niece. She wondered who could have left the dragon on her doorstep – she can’t keep it and doesn’t
Bookschatter
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The Christmas Dragon: Among the Mythos [2] - Ruthanne Reid This novella is an engrossing teaser to the epic world that Ruthanne promises to introduce us to in the very near future.Dragons, magical creatures and more are awaiting you.Ruthanne Reid is definitely one to watch if you enjoy immersing yourself in a complexly woven alternate reality.I simply cannot wait for the next instalment to learn more about Grey, the Fey, and have started to read "Strings" which is currently being serialised on ...more
Erhu Kome Yellow
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A deep sense of satisfaction and calm is what I got as I read this book. I don't normally read ebooks. For me to do so, the story has to pack a punch. And this one did. It also inspired me to write my first Urban fantasy which will be published next year. Thank you Ruthanne. I love this book so so much.
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)

Though this was a shorter read, I feel that it really had a lot of brilliance packed into the pages. I was sat reading, expecting something interesting, as I love dragons, but I didn’t expect to get fun, quirky, exciting and completely addicting. I had to finish the story. So I sat and read it in one go.

I have’t read the first book, so I don’t know much about the world, wreaked in havoc and turmoil, that other have read of. To me, this was the beginning, my entrance into the world of Sundered.
Nel
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it!
The Christmas dragon by Ruthanne Reid is a book which includes four stories - the Box, the Starling, the Crow king and Merlin’s dragon with a connection between them plus the end of the book features a preview of another story for an elf.
It is a wonderful book of magic, dragons and a little romance. We see everything from the point of view of young woman. She is born in this fantasy world, but doesn’t want to be part of it, because she is longing for normal life without “fey and other
Patricia
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like a long short story with appealing characters, funny writing and good and precise descriptions. An interesting trailer for the bigger stories that belong to the same universe.
TheGood ByeGirl
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readathon-2017
This was great, looking forward to the rest of the series!
Jess Schira
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
Brian Greiner
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable novelette (novella? long-ish short story?).
The author has created a rich mythos, with enough depth that allows viewing it from the point of view of different characters (ie. the different books in the series). The protagonist is lively and endearing, and I really enjoyed the story.
Assigning a rating for a novelette is rather more difficult than for a book, I think. Sort of like comparing a picture to a movie ... both can be appreciated for their own sake, but difficult to contrast
C Dove
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great quick read! Gives just enough character background to hold together and keep the reader going. If you like magic and the fairie in modern times an excellent read. Hope author gives us more in this chain.
Caitlin Jones
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5

A thrilling, magical, and genuinely engaging indie novella. Read in a single sitting! Excited for more in this universe. Full review soon!
MarikaCiarrocchi
I went to bed but I can't sleep if don't read something good. So I took my kindle and I choose to begin 'The Christmas Dragon'. Once I've started reading I knew that sleeping wasn't on my plans anymore. I was going to be up all night to finish the book. So think about how upset I was when I got to the conclusion of the story and it was just 22:30! So sad, too short Mrs Reid! Let go of the fact that I totally love stories about Merlin, King Arthur and all the Avalon thing, this short story is ...more
Laura Thomas
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a world filled with all types of beings, Katie just wants to live a normal life. One without magic.

She’s doing just that until someone leaves a box on her doorstep. The box looks so innocent until it jumps. And jumps some more. To keep her neighbors from seeing it, she scoops it up and takes it inside.

Opening the box, she is instantly enchanted by the tiny irridescent dragon. It’s all cute and cuddly until it vomits fire and about burns her kitchen down.

Her attempt at a normal life might not
Tze Min
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody! okay fantasy lovers I guess, or anyone in need of a good short book
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
THIS BOOK IS GOOD.

No, scratch that. This book is fantastic. This review sounds lacking, probably because I'm still feeling too happy after finishing it to come up with details.

It's been so long since I've read something that, on the first line, sucks me completely into the story, and makes it so hard to put down.

It's got a quirky protagonist that actually sounds like a real, relatable person to me, someone whom I'd honestly love to meet in real life. And it's not just Katie, but the rest of the
Kinkajou
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story takes place in the same universe as Ruthanne's previous book, The Sundered. However it is very different, happening many years beforehand, instead of complete chaos the world is, normal. Save for mythical creatures, brutish orcs, nightmarish beasts, magical elves, and people who seem normal yet have the ability to use magic. Perhaps the world isn't so 'normal' after all.

Minor plot line points hidden in the event you want to be fully surprised:

(view spoiler)
Carly
Katie Lin is desperate to live a normal life in a world that is full of hidden magic. She just wants to be left alone, but fate has a different plan in mind.

John Grey is mischievous, a bit of an adventurer, and is just passing through. When he saves Katie, and her mysterious jumping box, he unwittingly gets himself pulled into a bigger adventure than he ever dreamed possible.

I loved this little story right up until the end. This series is different than most because the books are not written in
Cloud
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This is the type of book that leaves you wanting more. In a good way! I wanted to explore more of this exciting universe and it's people. The magic system and races that Ruthanne has created is intriguing and I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. It feels very rich and expansive and I had a great sense of weight and age to the characters and plots that were woven through out. I'm a huge fan of dragons and with it being Christmas time, I felt this was the perfect short story to pick up ...more
Sara James
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a pre-release version of this book for review purposes. I was not compensated.

I loved this novella. If you're looking for something to introduce you to this author, I highly recommend starting here. Reid's stories are all connected, which I am just discovering.

i loved the humor in this book, the pacing, the characters. Some reviews say it ends on a cliffhanger, but i wouldn't call it that at all. One feels that there are more stories to come, but this episode feels complete and
Virginia
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from StoryCartel in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this book, well, novella.

Katie, a Kin, is living in New Hampshire far away from her family, and the things she chose to left behind in order to have a "normal life". And yes, that includes magic. But one day, someone left a jumping box at her door and her normal life won't be that normal from that moment on.

From the first line I was sucked into the story, I love the author's style, the
Tahlia Newland
‘The Christmas Dragon’ by Ruthanne Reid is a delightful and beautifully-crafted story about a woman who finds a jumping present on her veranda. Her search for a safe place to leave the present uncovers a world of magical beings and, in a few bold strokes, Ms Reid draws this world as clearly as if it truly existed.

This is quite simply an excellent short story. The premise is fascinating, the plot is interesting and unusual, and the characters are endearing and intriguing. Anyone who likes
Jess F. (From Me to You ... Book Reviews)
"4.5 out of 5 stars!! Katie--a descendant of "Merlin"--just wants a normal life. However, the "normal" life she carved out for herself will never be the same when her "Uncle Merlin" leaves a mystical white baby dragon on her front porch. After that, all bets are off...

WOW!! I loved Katie and her quirky ways. This intense novella hooks you and keeps you asking for more!"

Read more of this review and TWO teasers here:
Becky
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun and easy read. Ruthanne has a great voice. Her characters are interesting and spunky. There's a nice sprinkling of geeky references sprinkled throughout, which keeps it light hearted, but protagonist Katie made sure of that with her snarky remarks. All in all it was am enjoyable read (she's lightyears better at writing books than I am reviews) and I can't wait to see how all her books.

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary advanced copy for review purposes but was not otherwise
Bruce
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story surely packs a LOT of enjoyable reading into just a few pages. A tiny white dragon (neither red nor black) named Vesuvius, a conflux, the Wild Hunt, even the Spanish Inquisition was unexpected, Myrddin in Wales, and the Crow King (high in fiber), all nicely tied together in a story that jumps. I want to read more. I'm sorry that I was able to download this story for free; I'd prefer to support the author so she can write more stories like this.
Keely
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novella is an enticing glimpse into a world of magic, danger, and down-to-earth characters. You will not want the story to end with the last chapter. Fortunately, Reid has assured us that there is more to come. I will be re-reading The Christmas Dragon until that day.
Quenby Olson
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I'm pretty stingy with my five-star ratings, but this was such a fantastic little story. Funny, charming, imaginative, and - my only complaint - all too short! I want to spend an entire novel with these characters! This was just an all around great read.
Laura Hermosa
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have recived a free copy in advance from Storycartel in exchange of my review. The begining of the book caught you with a simple line:"the box jump " then you want to know why, how... And you can't stop reading until you finished and even then you want more...
S. Usher Evans
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I can say at the end of this book is

1) WHY IS THERE NOT MORE

2) Oh wait!

Excellent protagonist, plot, pacing, and just enough of the world to make me want to pick up the rest of the books. Exactly what a novella prequel should be.

• Where Winter Finds You (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #18)
  • Spiked (The Sundance #1)
  • Warrior Fae Princess (Warrior Fae, #2)
  • No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference
  • Warrior Fae Trapped (Warrior Fae, #1)
  • The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)
  • Dragon's Bait
  • No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1)
  • Castaway
  • The One Night Stand Before Christmas (Reindeer Falls, #3)
  • If You Give A Jerk A Gingerbread (Reindeer Falls, #2)
  • Broken (Winchester Academy, #3)
  • Bully (Winchester Academy, #5)
  • Banned (Winchester Academy, #4)
  • Breathless (Winchester Academy, #6)
  • Barely (Winchester Academy, #7)
  • Snow Angel
  • His Forbidden Obsession
Would you believe this third-person intro is being written by the very same individual about whom it is written?

I know. Completely blows her mind, too.

Ruthanne Reid is one of those pesky fanfiction authors who made good, and thus eschews most labels. Except for being a Generation X-er (or maybe Xennial, according to some guy’s webpage), a musician who loves music but also carries a ton of baggage

Among the Mythos (5 books)
  • Strings
  • Half-Shell Prophecies
  • Seed (Among the Mythos)
  • The Sundered