Start by marking “From Alaska With Love” as Want to Read:
From Alaska With Love

From Alaska With Love

A soldier has six weeks to convince the only woman he has ever longed for to take a chance on life with him in Alaska....

Sara's letters were the only bright spot during Gabe's devastating tour in Iraq. With each new correspondence he fell harder, needed her more, wanted to be with her. Now, after initially rejecting his offer to meet, she's shown up at the door of his isol
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published March 3rd 2020 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about From Alaska With Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Alaska With Love

Start your review of From Alaska With Love
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
2.75/5 stars

I wanted to give romance a chance. Perhaps it's the cozy season of the year or the cute dog on the cover...whatever it may be, I wanted to give this a chance since I don't read romance novels usually.

From Alaska With Love is the story of a deployed soldier receiving a letter by chance from a young woman in North Carolina and a pen pal relationship ensues. Sara, the spinster in her thirties, is working in the home of her brother to take care of her little niece. Though Sara loves her
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Awwwww beautiful story!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was really looking forward to reading this story. I am a huge supporter of our military and James created a sweet, delightful story that brings to light some of the difficulties our soldiers experience when deployed and on active duty.

I love the way Sara and Gabe connected. The awkward conversations along with the letters and emails that cement their understanding, and dare they say, love for each other.

But all things are not what they seem – or are the
Melissa H
I’m not one to usually read military romances but I decided that this one sounded interesting enough to give it a try.

This is a story about Sara, where at the start of the book she is feeling seriously down about her life. Her aunt publicly humiliates her at a family function, announcing to everyone she is a spinster who never had a boyfriend. This starts a pity party that continues throughout the whole book. But it also kickstarts her to decide to participate in writing letters to a those in t
♥Rachel♥
Mar 23, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, dnf
Sara being a doormat and the pity party ensuing is got old quick. To top things off the secondary cast were a bunch of highly unlikable characters. Kaylee, her five-year-old niece, sounded more like a ten-year-old with her observations, and wasn't particularly likeable in my opinion either. I was lured in by the cute cover, falling in love through letter writing, and left wanting.
Kayla Brunson
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020, romance, arc
I don’t really read military romances, but the cover and the synopsis for this book made me pick it up. It had a really sweet romance, however, I would call this Women’s Fiction more than Romance. Mainly because it focuses on Sara’s character development more than the romance.

I am a big lover of books where the couple fall in love via written messages or email. It’s always great to see them build a relationship and get to know each other before they find out if they have that same physical chem
Anne OK
Apr 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
An over-hyped release that ended being a middle of the road read for me. And I'm usually all over a book set in Alaska. But this one wasn't particularly entertaining or interesting to me. I couldn't really relate or connect to either of the main characters. A really slow burn that didn't ignite for this reader.
1-Click Addict Support Group
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Letters brought them together…

I loved how Sara and Gabe met – two souls connecting through words, then tech. The slow build up allowed them to learn so much about each other without the usual pressures of face to face dating life. Sara was funny and self-deprecating, the perfect foil to Gabe’s quietness. They connected, each finding someone who listened, was thoughtful and simply brought a smile their faces. That was why it was so hard when a bold move brought things crashing down…. And my heart
☕️Kimberly
I am a sucker for military romances, romances with pets and Alaskan settings and From Alaska with Love delivered all of those elements and more. An awkward hero, an insecure heroine, an overbearing family and a dog that will melt your heart.

Sara took over watching her niece when her company downsized and slipped into handling her mother’s finances when her father passed. You might say she is the glue that hold everyone together. She is sweet, lonely, unsure of what the future holds and genuinely
Steph's Romance Book Talk
3 Stars / 1 Steam Fans

From Alaska with Love started as a fun, sweet, military pen pal story until it went flat. Sarah gets publically shamed during a family event and decides to step outside of her comfort zone by writing a letter to an anonymous deployed soldier. Gabe is on the receiving end of Sarah's message, and they start a long-distance romance. Sarah has a family that continuously degrades her, and she just takes the abuse, which didn't work for me. Once Gabe has the opportunity to meet S
*The Angry Reader*
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020, arcs
You know that saying about how If everyone around you seems like an asshole you’re probably the asshole? Sara should take that to heart.

Our story starts with our heroine at a family reunion - where an aunt introduces her as a spinster. Not sure why she’s being introduced at a family reunion. Not sure why there’s shame in being unmarried in your thirties. For sara, this announcement is akin to everyone knowing she buys her Izods at an outlet. She begins to question everything about her life.

Fro
Amy (TheSouthernGirlReads)
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 🌟
Final thoughts...that was fairly adorable.
Ally James is a new to me author. If I am being fair...the cover of this book...that’s what drew me in 😍. That and Alaska. I love all things Alaska 🤷🏻‍♀️.
Imagine my surprise to find out that a large portion of this book is based in North Carolina. Very, very delightful.
Alright let’s get to some coherent thoughts.
If this book has a description from me...it would be warm fuzzies. Cozy romance? Whatever we want to call it.. I’m going to call it love
Sophia
A correspondence romance, military hero, and the promise of Alaska for a setting were all it took to hook me into trying a new to me author standalone.

From Alaska With Love opens with overworked-underappreciated Sara going out on a limb and writing a letter to a military service personnel as part of a correspondence project. Her letter reaches dedicated career soldier, Major Gabe Randall, who usually passes off the letters to those under him, but there was finally enough in this batch for him to
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
ARC received via Netgalley for an honest review

This book was all kinds of adorable.

"Spinster" Sara (pssshhh what would they call me then) and Gabe are not a couple that you would really expect to come together, but they do and it works.

I liked that they communicated via emails for a chunk of the time - much more cute and romantic than just text message to me.

My heart hurt for Sara - she is having a bit of a pity party, and I wanted her to stand up to those making her feel that way - and the fact
Beth
From Alaska With Love is a pen pal military romance.

When Gabe is in Iraq, he receives honest and forth right emails from Sara that makes every day worth living. She is funny and says exactly what is on her mind, even if it’s a little off the wall. Their relationship blossoms through their letters, then texts and video chats. But when it comes time to meet, Sara baulks.

Devastated by Sara not meeting him, Gabe returns to his assignment in Alaska.

Sara realizing her mistakes jumps on a plane and s
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
I absolutely loved this book until the 50% mark and then it became a bit of a mess which was so disappointing. This couple meets through a “card to any service member” campaign and spend months sharing emails, then private messages and even Face timing. I loved their interactions, the way they got to know one another, and how, dare I say, they fell in love while sharing their thoughts and feelings. There was something so refreshing about this part of the book and then Gabe returns from deploymen ...more
Arlene
Sappy...
Heather andrews
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gabe really is a sweet man, “yep.” He grinned, before putting a hand on her thigh. “And do you seriously imagine I give a damn when or how you speak the words? Baby, you could have screamed them out in the middle of a wet T-shirt contest, while showcasing your stripper moves, and it would still be the second- best moment of my life.” I liked this book, I liked Gabe.
Stephanie
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was really cute. I really liked Sarah''s growth throughout the novel and how she broke away from her ungrateful family and learned to stand on her own.
Bree T
There are two “A’s” will get me to pick up a book whenever I heard them – Antarctica and Alaska. These areas fascinate me and I love reading or learning about them in any way possible. I’ll watch documentaries, reality shows, read articles. I also love books set there, obviously. Alaska tends to be the most common and I’ve read quite a few books, both fiction and non, set in Alaska. Most books I’ve read regarding Antarctica that are fiction tend to mention it or involve a brief trip there or nea ...more
Barb Lie
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
From Alaska With Love by Ally James is a sweet and different kind of romance. We meet our heroine, Sara Ryan, as she attends a family function and is embarrassed by her aunt, who tells everyone she is a spinster. Sara lives with her brother and his wife, as she takes care of her niece; and though she is beautiful, Sara has no confidence and does not believe she will ever marry. Her family, other than her niece, takes advantage of her, and expects her to do their bidding. During a local event, ev ...more
Mari
Mar 21, 2020 rated it liked it

After a few Alaska set books I looked forward too seing this the blurb had me intrigued plus the dog covered. Sara's life was stagnant somewhat and pity party going which lasted throughout the book. It lead to the writing a letter to someone deployed military overseas. The pacing was slow and a bit disjointed at times with scene transition.

Sara had a pen pal going with Gabe who was deployed in Iraq but stationed in Alaska. They grew close through the letters and chatting. Sara was scar
Krysti
May 11, 2020 rated it liked it
I really loved the premise of this book, and the beginning was so charming and fun. I was definitely rooting for these two to get together from the first chapter!

This story relies heavily on the miscommunication trope, which I usually am on board with, since I do feel like most of the problems we face on a daily basis really from miscommunications. For that to work for me in a story though, I need to understand the characters and their motivations, and I didn’t feel like I did in this one.

The ch
Ryan - Sweet Red Reader
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hard-copy, scribd
3.5 out of 5 wine glasses.

I listened to the audio of this for the most part and found the experience highly enjoyable - the narrator did a fantastic job with the southern accents and distinguishing all the different characters. My biggest issue is the repetitiveness I encountered in the first portion of the book. When either of the main characters corresponded with each other, we got it (verbatim) twice. That was a bit annoying and seems like a waste of word/page count. This was my first book by
Rachel
I received an ARC through Netgalley. Thanks to Netgalley, Berkley Publishing Group, and the author Ally James. All opinions expressed are my own

Rating: 4.5 / 5 stars

This was a thoroughly enjoyable read. I wanted to read From Alaska with Love, because it reminded me of Dear Aaron by Mariana Zapata, and I loved both books. Both books start with similar circumstances (single woman writing to a soldier) and love is built through letters. Both are slow-burn romances.

I felt so much for Sara. I wanted
★¸. • * ° *Jillie Anne * ° *•.¸☆
Dear God we have to wait till spring to read this !!! I'm going to send myself to my room for the temper tantrum I'm planing on throwing ! #CountDown2020Wanted #NewAuthorAlert #ReadabookInFlorida #BeachesAndBooks #YouWriteIllRead #MyOpenBookAtTheDragonfly
Sandie
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I just thought this book was to sweet....a little cheesy sometimes but cute none the less!
On some level I could relate to main character and I loved the personality that was given to the dog!!
Would definitely read other titles by this author!
Christie«SHBBblogger»
This was syrupy sweet-think Hallmark movie kind of sweet. I'm not a fan of those movies personally, but I know I'm in the minority on that. I think this would appeal to a lot of people, especially those looking for a simple romance with basically no angst.
Noemie | allmybookthoughts
Thank you to Berkley for the gifted e-book!
I thought this was a cute, feel good read. It was a fun romance that had a little bit of steam to it, but mostly told the story of Gabe & Sara getting to know each other. Their relationship started off via letter from Sara (addressed to a soldier unknown to her), progressed to email/text/Facetime, and then ended up with them meeting in person with disastrous results. The conflict was believable, but I felt like the arc of the whole story fell a little f
Brianna
Mar 22, 2020 added it
Shelves: dnf
***SPOILERS!!!***

Stopped at page 126. Loved the idea of a long-distance relationship portrayed in romance. I'm in one, so I always like to see that. Found the letters and texts well-done, with the exception that letters were repeated twice in the text. Was never really excited to pick this up, though, so in the span of three days, I only read those 126 pages.
What really broke it for me was when Chris said he was Sara's husband to protect her, and that Sara was being an idiot in not revealing th
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• My Favorite Half-Night Stand
  • The Wives
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Tourist Attraction (Moose Springs, Alaska #1)
  • The Billionaire in Boots (Princes of Texas, #3)
  • Wishtree
  • The Warlord Wants Forever (Immortals After Dark, #0.5)
  • Havoc at Prescott High (The Havoc Boys, #1)
  • Breathless With Her (Less Than, #1)
  • Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet
  • Home with You (Silverlake Ranch, #2)
  • Breathe the Sky
  • Eat Pete!
  • How to Read a Book
  • Stanley's Train
  • A New Home
  • Narwhal's Otter Friend (A Narwhal and Jelly Book, #4)
Ally James is from Greenville, South Carolina. She is a USA Today and New York Times bestselling author of the “Danvers” series and the “Pierced” series of novels, which she wrote under the name Sydney Landon. She has worked in accounting and operations for over twenty years.

News & Interviews