Start by marking “Armastuskiri” as Want to Read:
Armastuskiri

Armastuskiri

London, 1995. Kui oma põlvkonna üks silmapaistvamaid näitlejaid Sir James Harrison üheksakümne viie aastasena sureb, ei jää temast maha mitte üksnes murest murtud perekond, vaid ka saladus, mis on nii šokeeriv, nii vapustav, et võib põhjalikult raputada Inglismaa ladviku alustalasid …
Joanna Haslam on noor ambitsioonikas ajakirjanik, kellele antakse ülesanne legendaarse näi
Published May 27th 2019 by Varrak (first published July 7th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Armastuskiri, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Armastuskiri

Paromjit
I found this espionage mystery by Lucinda Riley a bit a mixed bag of an uneven read. At the grand old age of 95, Sir James Harrison, a celebrated actor, dies leaving behind a heartbroken family, none more so than his beloved granddaughter, Zoe, single mother and up coming actress. For Zoe, James was more of a father than her actual famous actor father, Charles. Her brother, Marcus, an aspiring film producer has endured career flop after flop, constantly being financially rescued by his father an ...more
Pauline
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Love Letter by Lucinda Riley was a story of a secret so important that it had to stay out of the public eye at all costs. An historical novel that had it all, action, adventure, romance and danger.
Joanna Haslam a junior reporter is sent to write a report on the funeral of the actor Sir James Harrison. At the church she meets an old lady who passes her information than will eventually lead to a shocking discovery.
I really enjoyed this book all seven hundred pages. The characters were excellen
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
The Love Letter is the latest historical crossed with romance and thriller elements from saga queen Lucinda Riley. Originally published in 1998, as Seeing Double, it received fairly mediocre reception twenty years ago. Conditions of the time and the main storyline crux, which is closely linked to the British monarchy, contributed to this book’s downfall. Now, twenty years later and due to the success of The Seven Sisters series, along with seven other well r
Amanda
Joanna Haslam a reporter goes to legendary actor Sir James Harrison’s funeral where she meets an old lady called Rose who she helps home when she becomes ill at the funeral. When Joanna receives a letter from Rose Joanna goes on a hunt to discover Jame’s secrets but there are people out there who will do anything to stop this secret getting out,and they are very powerful people.

This book had me gripped from the start, you can really sink you’re teeth into it as it is a complex tale with a strong
Babydimps (Suzy)
2 stars! ⭐⭐

Sigh. This is going to be brief.

I absolutely adore Riley’s Seven Sisters series. So, when I saw The Royal Secret on NetGalley, I really wanted to read it. The premise was great and - let’s face it - the title is super intriguing! Sadly, this book did not meet my expectations. I found it to be super slow, boring at times, too long and a chore to read. I just didn’t get it. Trying to keep up with all of the characters just added to my confusion.

This was the first standalone novel I’ve
Amy Bruno
I've been wanting to read Lucinda Riley for a while now after seeing my blogger friends praise her Seven Sisters series, and I am so glad that I took the plunge. Lucinda is magician with words!

Joanna is a journalist with a demanding job and fresh out of a failed relationship when she is assigned to cover the funeral for a famous actor. While at the funeral she meets an elderly woman who sends her a letter which begins a series of events that could absolutely ruin the Royal family. Joanna's inves
Jeanette Lewis
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
France 1995 a newspaper front page, reporting the death of an aged famous English actor, Sir James Harrison is being read by another aged person with past connections to the actor. So the unravelling of events begins with the French resident making the fateful decision to return to England for the memorial service. Lucinda Riley has done it again, another fabulous creative thriller, a story of intrigue, suspense and murder courtesy of MI5 agents and with Royal implications. The author acknowledg ...more
Liz Barnsley
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A proper tome of a thriller that was highly engaging from start to finish, peppered with brilliantly formed characters and a highly intriguing central theme.

I read with interest how this book was due to arrive years ago but didn't...a great one for conspiracy theorists!

A love letter, a scandal, money and family form the heart of this and whilst it was very different to this author's recent novels I definitely think she should write more like this!

Beautifully plotted and gorgeous writing.

Reco
Jenks
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book the day it was released .

Yet it took me agessss to finish. I have no idea why , it just felt that this was a bit slower than the authors other novels.

I still cannot wait to ready anything written by Lucinda Riley but felt this plot was a little weak. Slow and repetitive .
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
The Royal Secret focuses on the scandalous lives of some of London's elite - lives filled with secrets, romance, espionage and mystery. It was this premise, and the author's name (I adored her earlier book, The Midnight Rose), that prompted me to request an advanced copy of this book. But while the story promises a delightfully salacious royal scandal and long-held secrets, my feelings for the book are a little more complicated than I had anticipated.

The plot meanders through the lives of numero
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I was really looking forward to reading The Love Letter by Lucinda Riley. Riley's The Seven Sisters series is a favorite of mine and I was curious to see how this stand-alone book would be. And, the mystery and the events surrounding the mystery is gloriously entertaining to read about. I love mysteries that makes the characters in books dig deep to reveal truths from the past. And, if I'm lucky the love stories that usually are a part of books like this will work out for me.

Unfortunately, that'
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
[May 16, 2018] I just preordered a copy! I LOVE Lucinda Riley's books!
[September 6, 2018] I got it, I got it, I, I, I got it!

[October 23, 2018] So I read what Lucinda wrote about this book and it shocked me! The story somehow, someway destroyed her raising career years ago! It was published before under the title Seeing Double, and for some reason it was pulled from markets! I just hope that this rewritten edition isn't removing the important bits from the original work. I'm highly intrigued!

Is
Paula Sealey
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such an exciting read! When renowned actor Sir James Harrison dies, journalist Joanna Haslam is sent to cover the funeral. There, she meets an elderly lady who indicates that she knows of a long held secret concerning James Harrison. When Joanna receives a letter from her she begins to investigate, but the deeper she digs, the more danger she finds herself in. Who can she trust and how far will people go to keep the secret hidden?

I really became involved in the plot here, there was plen
Kirstie
This is a huge read - 600 pages so a great holiday read in theory
In places I was so gripped but it became messy in parts and lost me. Mid way through I couldn’t put it down but then the narrative just lost it for me
Caroline Åsgård
Pardon my french, but OH MY FUCKING GOD!
This is the first Lucinda Riley book I've read, I got an advance reader copy in norwegian, and didn't expect much. BOY, if I only knew. Most of the time I just couldn't put this book down, and it took me on the craziest emotional rollercoaster ride ever. I did NOT expect it to be thrilling at all!

How do I even start with explaining the story? Ok, so it's the end of 1995, and a famous actor called Sir James Harrison dies. Before he dies, we get a hint about
Sheri
Twists and turns. Wonderful storytelling. Numerous unreliable characters. Adventure. Mystery. Romance. Palace secrets and the scandalous lives of the rich and famous. All in 528 pages. If you're looking for a book to escape into, this is it.
Lynn Horton
I freely admit that I bailed at the 35-percent mark, even though the writing is clear and the manuscript obviously was written by a professional. Had I known that this is the re-release of a book called The Love Letter (in the UK), I'd never have purchased The Royal Secret.

Except for the grandfather who dies early on, the characters are spoiled, entitled, and boring. The protagonist is unbelievably naive and clueless, and her best friend’s convenient work in espionage is contrived. I couldn’t th
Kate
Thoroughly enjoyed this! An entertaining thriller about a scandal that threatens the establishment. Although written during the 1990s and is a product of its times, I enjoyed it all the more for that. I've rarely read 600 pages so quickly. The perfect holiday read. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights. 4.5 stars rounded up.
Thebooktrail
image: description

Visit the locations in the novel

A mystery and plenty of intrigue in this novel. I can understand why it wasn't released after the death of Princess Diana though and when the Royal family weren't exactly flavour of the month!

It was a twisty turny read with lots of intrigue and red herrings and characters not knowing what to do and finding things they didn't know what they were until later....love this kind of novel! Characters were interesting but I admit I didn't know who to believe at t
Amy
Well this was no scholarly work, but it was just plain fun! Set in the late 90"s in London, its a mystery thriller involving an aging actor and his descendants, the royal family, and a young journalist who gets the scoop of a lifetime, but becomes embroiled with all the players. Deaths follow every clue, and the love relationships shift around like a merry go round. This would make a good TV movie or mini series.

Lucinda Riley is a great author to follow - and recently I have been in love with h
Sharlene
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucinda Riley books are some of my favorites as she is always consistent. This is another really good book. The mystery will keep you turning page after page. I had no idea what the secret was until the very end.
Vicky
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book was quite a rollercoaster. I don’t think any of it quite turned out how I was expecting it to- and for somebody who reads around a book a day, that was quite something! With twists, turns, unexpected deaths, and revelations, this kept me hooked, gasping and sometimes rolling my eyes. Everything in one.

This was the first Lucinda Riley novel I’ve read, but I don’t think it’ll be my last- the breakneck plotting and slow-winding tension saw to that. The story starts with the death of
Alison
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arc
I received a copy of this book in return for an honest review via Netgalley.

Readers may have come across this book before as its original publication name Seeing Double (2000). It has been substantially rewritten and renamed however.

I was drawn to this title as generally I enjoy Lucinda Riley’s books. Unfortunately, I found this book really quite peculiar. It is almost like it is not sure quite what it wants to be. Historical, suspense or spy thriller, and the lack of firm identity coupled with
Yeloop
Sep 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OMG I want the last week back. I found plot holes early on but were sure they would be explained. Then 3/4s through we get the action packed Hollywood ending, some trite dialogue trying to explain away inconsistencies and then it STILL goes on, adding more b/s and implausible scenario after the other. Characters are murdered with glib “ well he was at the end of his career anyway” type dialogue and then it gets worse and worse.

How to take an interesting idea, likeable characters and then complet
Lauren
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Lucinda Riley and I was hooked! It kept me guessing right until the end, and had so many twists and turns it made me dizzy! (In a good way of course.)
Riley made me engage with the characters in a way no standalone novel has quite done before, and did a brilliant job in showing us that not everyone is so black and white.
The story itself was so well executed, and created such an air of mystery and suspense.
Jackie Wadsworth
OK. This is not my normal read, but I do like to take myself out of my comfort zone every now and again and this wasn't terrible. It just wasn't brilliant either...

There are a number of storylines to this book. There is Joanne, a journalist. She is best friends with Simon who is something in the civil service (we later find out he is a very big something in MI5!). She starts to date Marcus Harrison, who is the rather lazy womanising brother of Zoe Harrison, the famous actress, who is the grandd
Margaret
Lucinda Riley’s Seven Sisters series is a favorite of mine, she writes great detail into her historical fiction parts that have me anxiously awaiting the next installment.

The Royal Secret, originally titled The Love Letter, is a story full of mystery, intrigue, and secrets. It isn't a short story, coming in at approx 624 pages which to me spells an epic read with depth of character, a plot that has plenty of time to develop and one I love to get lost in. I looked forward to getting lost in the
RivkaBelle
**3.5 Stars
{Book provided by Goodreads giveaway}
So, first things first: this book was originally published years ago (as “The Love Letter”), and didn’t do well at the time (for reasons explained and obvious upon reading). With the republication, there’s also a really nifty epilogue that brings things back to “current”.
It’s a mystery that borders on thriller — in that there’s so much Real Danger involved. I mean, there are deaths surrounding the investigation and protection of what could be The
The Blonde Bookworm
This novel started out with a bang. I loved how there was a mixture of romance, mystery, and history. I really liked the first half of the book, but I had a little difficulty following the story as it went on. There were a lot of portions where the characters would imply certain things instead of saying them outright, and that became a little confusing as the book went on. I really enjoyed the novel, but it was a little hard to follow at times.

The characters were a lot of fun and I really enjoy
Shannon Dyer
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, arc, mystery, romance
Not quite what I was expecting, but compulsively readable just the same. Review to come at AAR.
Play Book Tag: The Royal Secret by Lucinda Riley, 3.5 stars 7 18 Jul 10, 2019 06:16AM
Goodreads Librari...: New publication and duplicate 6 23 Jul 02, 2017 02:10PM

• Chase (Chase #1)
  • Greenlight
  • The Christmas Lights
  • One Cornish Summer
  • Tomorrow City
  • Signal Loss (Inspector Challis, #7)
  • And Fire Came Down (Caleb Zelic, #2)
  • The Traitor's Girl
  • Forgotten
  • Daintree (The Porter Sisters #2)
  • SAS Ghost Patrol: The Ultra-Secret Unit That Posed As Nazi Stormtroopers
  • The Secret Vineyard
  • Eleanor's Secret
  • Second Chance Town
  • Fearless
  • Last Letter Home
  • An Uncommon Woman
  • Slaughter Park (The Belltree Trilogy, #3)
AKA: Lucinda Edmonds
Lucinda Riley was born in Ireland, and after an early career as an actress in film, theatre and television, wrote her first book aged twenty-four. Her books have been translated into over thirty five languages and sold twenty million copies worldwide. She is a Sunday Times and New York Times bestseller.

Lucinda is currently writing The Seven Sisters series, which tells the stor