Start by marking “Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)” as Want to Read:
Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)

Soul of the Sword

(Shadow of the Fox #2)

One thousand years ago, a wish was made to the Harbinger of Change and a sword of rage and lightning was forged. Kamigoroshi. The Godslayer. It had one task: to seal away the powerful demon Hakaimono.

Now he has broken free.

Kitsune shapeshifter Yumeko has one task: to take her piece of the ancient and powerful scroll to the Steel Feather temple in order to prevent the summo
Audible Audio, Unabridged Audiobook
Published June 18th 2019 by Harlequin Audio

To ask other readers questions about Soul of the Sword, please sign up.
Belle Dude, I also dont like rereading but it isnt even a year. Some authors need 2 years to release their second or third book...…moreDude, I also don´t like rereading but it isn´t even a year. Some authors need 2 years to release their second or third book...(less)
A Storied Soul It looks like it is going to be at least a trilogy according to her author page: https://www.goodreads.com/series/2268...

megs_bookrack
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
It's so good.
I mean, seriously soooooooo good!

That's a lot of ooooooo's but for real though.

I am absolute trash for this series.

Bring on Book 3!!!

I read Shadow of the Fox at the beginning of the year and it quickly stood out as a new favorite. I was drawn into the Empire of Iwagoto and now I never want to leave!

This second book continues directly after the final events of the first book. We find Yumeko and her crew on the road to the Steel Feather temple in the hopes of protecting the last piece
Hamad
Oct 20, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
All those cover reveals are not good for my TBR!!!
April (Aprilius Maximus)
1.) Shadow Of The Fox ★★★★
2.) Soul Of The Sword ★★★.5

-----------------------------------------------
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Wow! What a ride! Full review to come.

*EDITED TO ADD REVIEW*
Kagawa has an amazing ability to bring her fantasy worlds and characters to life. So much so that they seem to breath off the very pages you are reading. You get completely immersed into her stories, into their lives, and into the danger that always seems to lurk in the dark and magical realms she is so good at creating.

I fell in love with Shadow of the Fox and couldn't have been more anxious or eager to get my hands on Soul of the Swo
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
I JUST FINISHED SHADOW OF THE FOX AND I AM NOT OKAY.

I might cry.

EDIT 10/20/18: OMG this is the best thing to come home to. WE HAVE A COVER AND IT IS PRETTY AF.

EDIT 5/2/19: HI I JUST WOKE UP TO AN AMAZING EMAIL AND MY REQUEST ON NETGALLEY GOT APPROVED. MY LIFE IS NOW COMPLETE FOR THE MONTH OF MAY.
Lena
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this in one sitting. My God the action was phenomenal!!!!!!!
Roobie

Sometimes a whisper is all that is required to calm a storm,
but when words fail, sometimes you need the thunder.
Laurie
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Move over, Harry Potter, fox shape-shifter Yumeko has come to town. I just finished this cinematic YA fantasy sequel to SHADOW OF THE FOX and I want the third book RIGHT NOW (I didn't think it was possible for Julie Kagawa to pull off a sequel that was even better than the first book, but she has - in spades). This book has the visual splendor of a Miyazaki film (think SPIRITED AWAY), the brilliant characterization of the Harry Potter books and the action-excitement of an Avengers movie. Author ...more
Adah Udechukwu
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Soul of the Sword is a worthy sequel. The novel got everything right.
Ashley
RTC- I am VERY at unease with how this played out. Amazing, nothing less than I expected... just worried! I feel like I was in the height of battle and a pause button was hit; I’m left frozen, yet conscious with the same emotions... ANXIETY CITY.
Kristen Burns
4 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book via NetGalley. This has not influenced my review.*

This was a great sequel to the first book in the series! This one had a somewhat darker tone than the first book, but that was to be expected after how that one ended. It still managed to keep some of the fun of the first one though, which was a pleasant surprise.

The plot continued on where the last one left off. Without spoiling anything for either book, I can say the characters were still on their
Mila
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gosh, this was such a filler middle book in a trilogy. And as someone who really enjoyed "Shadow of the Fox" I was quite disappointed. This book was incredibly slow and had way too much talking and not nearly enough action to counteract it. Hakaimono's chapters seriously put me to sleep sometimes. I still liked some parts of it obviously and the pace definitely picked up towards the end. The writing was still beautiful as well. I now only hope the finale will not be like this.
Sahitya
When I read Shadow of the Fox a few weeks ago, I was just going by my dear friend’s recommendation and wasn’t sure what to expect. But to my pleasant surprise, I completely fell in love with it and my excitement doubled when I got approved for the ARC of this sequel. Second books of beloved series can always be tricky but I’m so delighted that this book exceeded all my expectations.

Just like in the first book, the world building in this one too is phenomenal. We get introduced to more creatures
Kelly Brigid ♡
Is it socially acceptable to get into a committed relationship with a book cover? Because I may have a problem ...

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Bloglovin
Beth
The Soul of the Sword is the 2nd installment in Kagawa’s Shadow of the Fox series. Following a Kitsune Yumeko and her band that she has collected in the first book in this series and Tatsumi, a shadow clan warrior now possessed by Hakaimono, a demon of the highest powers.

Yumeko and crew are trying to secure the piece of an ancient scroll, Scroll of a Thousand Prayers, away from the demons and people with nefarious intentions reach.

Hakaimono, in Tatsumi’s body, joins up with the Master of Demons
Phoenix2
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA fantasy japanese manga anime like books
Shelves: fantasy
The second book of the shadow of the fox series was, for me, not as good as the first one. What made the later really good was the small adventures that the characters had in each chapter along with the main plot and the low key romance. However, in this one, the whole book was a preparation for what was going to happen in the final chapters. Actually, those final chapters were the best part of the book. They were packed with action, had a deep dive into the characters own feelings and backgroun ...more
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
***I received this ARC from Netgallery in exchange for an honest review***

This book was incredibly boring.

I vaguely remember having the same feeling with the last book because I had just read a book (Red winter by Annette Marie) that felt similar, so it kind of threw me off. I had hopes that with the ending of book one, this will pick up. I was wrong. It seems the pace even got slower.

This book picks up after Hakimono's success in pushing Tatsumi out. So basically we had to listen to the demon d
Tucker
Nov 27, 2018 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
do you hear that? That's me hyperventilating because I need this book. RIGHT! NOW!
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

I read Shadow of the Fox and found it a fun road trip with a couple I totally shipped! I was excited to see where we would go from that cliff hanger ending...

Soul of the Sword has a much better cover this time. I think the sword really helps bring home what this is about while the design is quite unified with the first book. I love when you can tell a book is a sequel because the design is similar but also different enough to not think i
Books on Stereo
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: august-2019-tbr
Soul of the Sword is an excellent, although at times a bit predictable follow up.
Scrill
Jun 27, 2019 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
DNF @30% I'm just so bored and don't care about the characters anymore. They're all annoying.

Like the fist book, Inuyasha vibes. Solely from the band of misfit characters that they seem to pick up on the way, to the succumbing evil to one of our heroes, to the item that all these people and demons are after for more power.

The World Building
One of the things I do really like about these books was the fantastic imagery that Kagawa uses. Throughout the adventure of the characters we are given this
Karen
An ARC was provided to me for free by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Soul of the Sword picks up where Shadow of the Fox ends off, with the consequences of the final battle between the main characters and Hakaimono. This book follows the remaining characters' trek to the Steel Feather Temple, to retrieve the other piece of the scroll, and to save Tatsumi.

This book was a lot more action-packed than the last one, which had a lot of travelling interludes. I will say t
julia ♥
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-fantasy
Read the full review on my blog : here

After reading Shadow of the Fox, I was excited to dive head-first into Soul of the Sword. I'd never read anything written by Kagawa prior to this, but this series was such a nice surprise.

What is this book about?
Soul of the Sword continues right after Shadow of the Fox and follows shapeshifter Yumeko in her quest to free Tatsumi from the demon Hakaimoto, who has captured the warrior's soul. Yumeko is also still finishing up her original quest, which entail
Ashlee » Library In The Country
LOVING this cover!
Rachel
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a fun series. Like the first installment, this has the feel of an anime adventure, where a band of heroes have to embark on a quest across Japan to save the world. The tale is ripe with legend, tradition, ghosts and samurai.

Hakaimono has been freed from his sword imprisonment and has possessed Kage Tatsumi. Yumeko has decided to save Tatsumi by driving the demon out of his body back into the sword, and she still has to deliver the last piece of scroll to the Steel Feather Temple.

Li
Zitong Ren
I don’t have a whole lot to say about this book that I didn’t say about the first book I don’t think, though I will say that I did not like it as much and found it took a bit too long for the plot to go anywhere. I did excuse this is the first book as I said that it was for the sake of world building and setting up for this book, yet this novel took some two hundred pages before the plot really progressed, though once it did, the narrative was quite incredible and really well done. I also don’t ...more
Grüffeline
I would rather not live in a world created by the whim of a single man.

I am shocked. Angry. Disappointed. That I simply cannot rate this any higher. Let me tell you, if the ending (and a certain gay love szene which absolutely gave me life!) hadn't saved this, this wouldn't even have made it to this rating. I suspect that a lot it is on the fact that I had completely forgotten everything about the first part and had a hard time getting back into this world. (I strongly recommend to
Kelsea
Let’s just start by acknowledging that middle books in fantasy trilogies are really tough for me. They don’t hold the magic and discovery that comes with starting a series or the satisfaction of concluding a story. So take my review with a grain of salt. Sadly, though, this book was no exception to my usual second book reading experience.

What I did like about the book: the world-building and the mythology! Soul of the Sword was just as creepy and full of interesting demons as Shadow of the Fox.
Camile Souza (This Chamber of Books)
My most anticipated releases list for 2019 is growing yaasss

Come to me book aahhh

• Skyhunter
  • Honor Bound (The Honors, #2)
  • Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles, #2)
  • DEV1AT3 (Lifelike, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Sky (Untitled, #1)
  • Immunity (Contagion, #2)
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
  • The Beyond (Devil's Isle, #4)
  • The Evil Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #1)
  • The Midnight Lie
  • These Divided Shores (Stream Raiders, #2)
  • Defy the Fates (Constellation, #3)
  • Untitled (Divinicus Nex Chronicles, #5)
  • Find Me Their Bones (Bring Me Their Hearts, #2)
  • Untitled (The Witchlands, #5)
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back
  • The Half King (Untitled, #1)
  • Thornlight

Shadow of the Fox (3 books)
  • Shadow of the Fox (Shadow of the Fox, #1)
  • Night of the Dragon (Shadow of the Fox, #3)
“Is this an 'I'm sorry I tried to assassinate you' tea ceremony?” 4 likes