Start by marking “Why Don't Cars Run on Apple Juice?” as Want to Read:
Why Don't Cars Run on Apple Juice?

Why Don't Cars Run on Apple Juice?

Curious kids ask the best questions!
What keeps the stars from falling from the sky? Why do metal boats float? And more importantly, why don’t cars run on apple juice?! All these questions and more are found in the pages of this science Q & A book with questions from the most inquisitive of science center visitors—kids. With help from a slew of scientists, author Kira Vermo
Published September 10th 2019 by Annick Press

To ask other readers questions about Why Don't Cars Run on Apple Juice?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Don't Cars Run on Apple Juice?

Start your review of Why Don't Cars Run on Apple Juice?
Etienne
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Various questions and answer on many scientific subject. I enjoy the concept of the book but find some answer a bit over simplify. I get that it,s for younger reader but still, some may have been explain better. An interesting book and a concept that I would like to see more often!
Steff Fox
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
| Review on Reader Fox Blog |

Firstly, I just love this book. I don't know if you've had the pleasure of stumbling across Kira Vermond's Why Don't Cars Run on Apple Juice? but if not, you should go pick up a copy as soon as you can. With wonderfully quirky illustrations by Suharu Ogawa, Vermond takes young readers on a journey through a variety of life's silly questions and gives them the science to understand it. From questions like how to do the stars stay in the sky to is there enough foo
OjoAusana
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
*received from netgalley for my honest review* This is a really great science book for kids! like wow! Not really something many kids would sit and read like a story book but its super interesting for anyone into science!
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book of simple explanations for scientific questions that kids have asked. The title of the book, in fact, explains, in case you are curious, that we could run cars on apple juice, but we would need a very large engine, and to have it retooled as well.

Why don't cars run on apple jic

cars run on apple juice

The questions are fun, such as why don't jellyfish have brains, and also deep, such as what is outside the universe. And there are of course the sorts of questions that only kids would ask, such as why are my farts stinky.

A fun littl
Mrs. Walker Reads
Mar 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Why can’t we feel the earth moving?
How do whales sleep?
Why do teeth fall out?
Are there creatures on other planets?
Why were dinosaurs so BIG?

Every question featured in this book came from kids who visited the Ontario Science Centre in Toronto, Canada. Science researchers who work at the centre discovered the answers and after reading this book, you will be full of facts that might surprise you!

This non-fiction book covers questions about the Earth to living things, human bodies, outer space and
Wunderdrugged
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
This title is nominated for the 2021 Hackmatack Award in the English non-fiction category. In her book 'Why Don't Cars Run on Apple Juice? Real Science Questions from Real Kids', Kira Vermond covers a wide variety of sciency topics. The book is divided into sections (i.e. planet earth, human body, animals, space, big ideas), and each page covers one specific question and answer. Each entry is written in a way that explains things succintly and clearly, without any feeling of the material being ' ...more
Kathleen Garber
If you have a scientifically curious child or you want to encourage science knowledge in your child, this is a good book to start with.

Questions are divided into chapters based on topic: Planet Earth, Living Things, Human Bodies, Outer Space and Big Ideas. The Big Ideas section is about such topics as dinosaurs, the Big Bang and time travel.

Each page is a different question followed by a few paragraphs of explanations. Although the book is fairly big the question and answers take up only the sma
Brooklyn Cribdon (The Wild Library)
Great introduction- I loved learning the background story of this book (kids asking questions at the Science Centre in Toronto & then having those questions laser cut into coasters for the café to spark conversations). Layout & design are eye-catching and engaging 🡪 great use of colour, bold fonts, short but informative paragraphs. Content encourages kids to ask all kinds of questions 🡪 fosters sense of imagination & curiosity. Unique book concept (i.e. the questions were actually asked by real ...more
Vonda
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Can cars run on apple juice as fuel? Yes, if their engines were changed. Can rats burp? No. But they can fart. These are some of the interesting, silly questions asked in this book. Junior scientists and dinosaur enthusiasts will enjoy this book. This book is geared toward late elementary age.

There were several things that may bother some parents. There were many references to evolution, millions of years and the Big Bang theory.

Interesting facts I learned:

Whales sleep vertically with their tale
Lynn  Davidson
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This brightly and humorously illustrated book is full of about 50 science questions asked by children. Very interesting for not only children.

Chapter titles:
1. Whipping up a batch of planet earth (about water, gravity, wind, seeds, seasons, food, fuel)
2. Creeping, crawling living things (about worms, faces, wolves & dogs, animal communication, sharks, other species)
3. Human bodies from the inside out (about flatulence, breathing, DNA, language, humour, sleep, dying)
4. Stars, moons, planets and
Andrea Wright
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
At first I was a bit confused on the age level for this book and felt like there were too many pages of nothing in the beginning, but then I got into the book and no longer felt like the illustrations were too young for the length and information. There are fantastic questions with fantastic information throughout and am really impressed with the further list of books to gain more information. This is a great nonfiction book for any curious child from around age 5 and up to early teens. It is a ...more
2TReads
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This non-fiction book was a treat for my 5 year old. She enjoyed the questions, especially about animals, and some of the illustrations made her laugh.
I think this is a great way to introduce certain concepts like time, planets, and digestion to kids in an interesting and engaging way. The wording isn't too technical so that they won't understand the concepts.
A really great read for young kids.
Stephanie Mendoza the_immortal_library
That was very educational. I learned a lot. I would say this book is for higher elementary and it covers a lot of ground very quickly. It provides explanations to questions in a simple way a child could understand even when the topics are hard for adult (I.e. death.). The artwork was simple yet descriptive and I really enjoyed it.
Lisa Day
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love that kids attending Toronto's the Ontario Science Centre were brave enough to ask the questions found in this book. I, too, wanted to know the answers to many of the questions asked. The questions were smart and thoughtful and the answers interesting and easy to understand. THe illustrations were great as well. ...more
Dolank
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Answering kids (and some adults), questions about all sorts of random science. Great premise, layout and simplicity in the answers. A book that can be periodically picked up and cause much deeper thought, interest, and the learning of the planet Uranus for the very first time. 😉 Loved by the Minions. Great for anyone 4 and up.
Andréa
Note: I received a digital review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.
Helena#bookdreamer
Thank you netgalley for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Awesome book for older kids curious on how things work from gravity to salty water in a very comprehensive, fun way. This would be excellent to add to your kids bookshelf.
Александра
Jan 25, 2020
Best 2019 Kids Books Giveaway 1 1 Dec 04, 2019 05:20AM

• How to Catch a Dragon
  • Classic Munsch Moods
  • The Big Book of Monsters: The Most Ghastly Ghouls, Bloodcurdling Beasts, and Wicked Witches from Classic Literature
  • The naughty Naughty Chair
  • Alma and the Beast
  • Jane Goodall
  • Digital Hand Lettering and Modern Calligraphy: Essential Techniques Plus Step-by-Step Tutorials for Scanning, Editing, and Creating on a Tablet
  • The Cow Said Neigh!: A Farm Story
  • Don't Drink the Pink
  • L. M. Montgomery
  • Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas: Zero's Journey Book Three
  • Experiment with Kitchen Science: Fun projects to try at home
  • The Little Book of Drawing Dragons  Fantasy Characters: More than 50 tips and techniques for drawing fantastical fairies, dragons, mythological beasts, and more
  • Help the Honey Bees (Little Activists: Endangered Species)