Start by marking “Fortuna Sworn” as Want to Read:

(Fortuna Sworn #1)

We were meant to be seductive. We were designed to lure humans in.

Fortuna Sworn is the last of her kind.

Her brother disappeared two years ago, leaving her with no family or species to speak of. She hides among humans, spending her days working at a bar and her nights searching for him. The bleak pattern goes on and on... until she catches the eye of a powerful faerie.

He m
Published June 26th 2019 by Once Upon a Time Books, LLC

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jun 26, 2019
    Enter to win one of five signed physical copies of FORTUNA SWORN by K.J. Sutton!

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 1001 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jul 09 - Aug 01, 2019

Countries available: U.S. and Canada

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Fortuna Sworn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fortuna Sworn

K.J. Sutton
    Mar 29, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
    Update on July 11th, 2019:

If anyone is intrigued or inspired by images I used during the writing process, here is the Pinterest board for the Fortuna Sworn series. The artist who designed the cover even used the clothing board to create Fortuna's costumes: https://bit.ly/2YNl1kT

Update on July 9th, 2019:

I love this graphic so much that I had to share! Thank you, @Mells_View!

IMG_0753

Update on June 29th, 2019:

Well, Fortuna Sworn is officially published. I just sent out a newsletter and wrote a blog
    Melanie (mells_view)
    Nightmares may be lies, but we don’t have to be liars.

I’m not going to info dump the blurb, so I’ll start by saying that Fortuna Sworn was... something else. While fantasy isn’t my usual genre, I’ve read a few and Fortuna Sworn seems to be a good combination of standard fantasy constants and a unique spin on certain aspects of the genre. Faeries. Other fantasy beings. Unseelie and Seelie courts. A world adjacent to the human one. Corruption. Some budding romance from more than one suitor. A litt
    ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
    ARC provided by the author via GR in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!)

Real Rating: 3,5 (three and a half stars).
    Fortuna Sworn is a paranormal romance that follows the protagonist, Fortuna, a girl that lives in the human world but she is a Nightmare, a special being with very unique powers.
    Fortuna's brother is missing and she caught the interest of a powerful Fae, Colith. Then, her journey begins.
    There are things I really loved in this book and things I didn't like too.
    What I liked:
    -The
    Dani - Perspective of a Writer
    description
    Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

I've been a fan of Kelsey Sutton ever since I read Gardenia on Netgalley. She is the queen of standalone YA novels and loves paranormal stories like I do. And now she's become a hybrid author self publishing her first adult book, which is a fae romance and her first series. There are a lot of firsts in that sentence! And I was super excited to be a part of her launch of Fortuna Sworn.

I loved that the title was the name of the protagonist
    Dianne
    And, Gleefully, I have unearthed another hidden gem for fantasy readers who are looking for a little fresh and a lot fantastic! Get ready to meet FORTUNA SWORN a woman with attitude, sass, sheer grit and determination. Oh, she is also a “nightmare” and one touch will give her all she needs to turn you into a sniveling pile of terrified goo. She might even kill you, BUT, she is the heroine, not the villain and she may be one of the most memorable I have met in a while!

Fortuna lives among humans a
    Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
    I have loved this author's work in the past so it was a no brainer when I saw this to immediately pick it up and try it. I love her unique take on things that seem mundane and making them into something new and imaginative. She manages to create endearing characters that stick with you long after the story has been finished and settings that are so descriptive that they take your breath away and you feel like you are transported right into the heart of them.

Fortuna Sworn was definitely a story t
    giulia
    another fae book? hell to the yes. i don't care, i'm living my best life

Maddie
    Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Fortuna Sworn - 2/5 Stars

I received this title from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

What I liked:

- This book had an interesting opening, one that drew me in immediately. I appreciated how gritty and dark the world was, as well as the origin story of the supernatural creatures inhabiting it. There was a lot of potential for this story and that was evident from the beginning chapters.

- I have never read about a "nightmare". I'm not sure if this supernatural
    Fortuna Sworn has been searching for her brother ever since his disappearance two years ago but there have been no clues and even a witch using magic spells has been unable to uncover his location. Then along comes Colith, a powerful faerie who says he can take Fortuna to Damon but only if she'll agree to his bargain. She knows making a deal with the fae is asking for trouble but if there is even the slightest chance of rescuing her brother and bringing him back home then she will take any risk, ...more
    Zahira⚡️
    Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    ⋆☆☽ Kriss ☾☆⋆
    I'm ever hungry for new, engaging faerie books, but not just any faerie book: I crave ones where the faeries are beautiful and scary and terrible and complex.

I think it was a stroke of fate that the author reached out to me to offer me a copy of her book and I very much thank her for it (I did get a free copy from the author, but I also purchased a copy myself, and I only took the copy under the condition that I was free to express my thoughts. I'm a transparent sort of person, so I wanted to s
    Carissa
    This is a first read for me by this author. The blurb really intrigued me. This at first sort of had ACOTAR series vibe in the beginning. I loved the initial banter between the main couple. I wanted more of a background or initial introduction/buildup in the story. I have to say a good chunk of the middle part was a bit slow. I thought this going to be a standalone, but it turns out its book 1 in a
    unknown # in a series. I just can't pinpoint exactly why I'm feeling indifferent about this book.
    Vippi

I'm pretty disappointed.
    In the beginning, it seemed so promising, but going on the story became too fast-paced and too shallow.
    I could feel a huge, raw potential at my fingertips. Such a pity that the Author did not seize it fully. With more patience in nurturing it, and more attention to the depth (of the characters, of the worldbuilding) this could have been a great story (as the twist at the end - that after all the frustration made my interest spark again - clearly demonstrates).
    Olivia Farr
    Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: other-reviews
    FORTUNA SWORN is the book I didn't know I needed- but couldn't put down. This paranormal romance/fantasy follows Fortuna Sworn, a Nightmare. In a world where the descendants of fallen angels have supernatural powers, werewolves, vampires, and others exist- and are hunted for their abilities to become slaves or to be eaten/killed for the properties that consuming them can give. Nightmares are going extinct, and Fortuna may be the last one since her brother disappeared a couple years before.

Fortun
    Dani
    Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: e-book, arc
    Mariah Wussow
    Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I received a free e-copy of this book from the author. Below is my review.

I absolutely fell head over heels for this cover. I knew nothing about this book going in, but I'm glad I picked it up. It was a great read. I haven't read many fae books, but I liked that this one subverted a lot of the typical tropes. Many of the things people think they know about fae, like that they can't lie, are called out as made up.

The main character Fortuna Sworn is a really interesting character. She's a Nightm
    Cora E. Jane
    Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    K. J. Sutton must be one of the fae, because she knows how to steal her readers away with Fortuna Sworn.

The story follows Fortuna's quest to find and rescue her brother, no matter who or what she encounters. I don't want to give away too much, but those who love stories set around the fearie court and mythical creatures are going to love the rich characters and world that Sutton creates. Motives are hidden behind smiles and glamour, and Fortuna is swept into an ever-changing dance of danger and
    J.D. DeHart
    Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Fortuna Sworn was interesting, for sure. I liked the way this author wove together a wide variety of mythological beings. An enjoyable fantasy story.
    Carien
    Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This is a really cool read.

Fortuna is desperate to find her brother so when a very attractive faerie named Collith implies he can help her she's eager to make a deal with him. But we all know how dangerous a faerie deal can be...

I liked Fortuna although she at times doesn't listen close enough to others. She is sure she knows how the world works, and it is this that brings her into danger even more than Collith's manipulations at times. Still I could understand her and root for her.

I also was v
    Renee
    Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    FACT- I think everyone should read paranormal and sci-fi books. It offers an almost decadent escape from the everyday toil and trouble of life. Instead of stressing about gas money or a rude co-worker wouldn't your rather dip underground with the enchanting fae?!? So, book friends- with that interlude I'll invite you to join me in the Unseelie court with Fortuna Sworn, ancient beasts, and more psychotic faeries you could ever hope for!

It's been said that pride comes before the fall. Prior to thi
    Melissa's Pages
    Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
    The blurb for the book does a fairly decent job of describing the beginning of the story, so I won't recap it here. Trigger Warnings: violence, gore, abuse, slavery, drug and alcohol use, mention of rape.
    Fortuna Sworn certainly has a unique take on the fantasy realm and its origins, featuring a wide variety of species. The main character belongs to a fantasy class I have never read about before which was refreshing. However, this story does largely center around faeries. I definitely think fans
    Erin Arkin
    Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: read-in-2019, series
    Fortuna Sworn is the first book in a paranormal fantasy series by K.J. Sutton and if you’re looking for a fast-paced book about fae and other paranormal creatures, you should consider picking this one up. I’ve really enjoyed the other stories that Sutton has written so was excited when this hit my Kindle.

Fortuna Sworn is a nightmare and that means that with just a touch, she can make someone see and live their greatest fears. She’s also the last of her kind since her brother has been missing fo
    Marsha
    Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    First and foremost, I must say that I was provided with this book by the author and I am writing an honest review. Next, I should also reveal that I'm not a huge fan of books involving the fae. These stories always seem to me to have to much violence and rape especially towards women. With that being said, I was pleasantly surprised when I read "Fortuna Sworn." Yes, there was some violence and other unpleasantries; but, I found the storyline to be unique and interesting.

Fortuna, is a Nightmare.
    Angie
    Nightmares always drew stares. Whenever someone looked at me, they saw whatever face they believed the most beautiful. Like the nightmares that came at night, we were meant to be seductive. We were designed to lure our victims in. Then, when it was too late to draw back, we struck.

This book was not what I was expecting at all--which was a great surprise at first but later left a slightly sour taste in my mouth as the characters turned out to not to be as strong as I had hoped for.

The first hal
    Juri Pagador
    Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
    As usual, I'd like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for approving my request for a copy! All opinions are mine and mine alone.

To be honest, I struggled with finishing this book. I've been hearing a lot of things about Fortuna Sworn, so much that it made me excited to read about it, but for me, it didn't live up to the hype. While fantasy is up my ante, this book kind of frustrated me and left me with so many questions.

But first onto the good:

The premise and blurb was very promising and int
    Kay
    Fortune favours the bold... and the strong, the cunning, the devoted... and the kick-ass!

[Many thanks to K.J. Sutton for sending me a copy of this book!]

Fortuna Sworn, the name of the book as well as the FMC, is a multi-layered urban fantasy story about a group of supernatural people who need some relationship therapy, stat. And, after reading this book, you will feel like you either need some therapy yourself, a pile of answers to satiate your curiosity, or perhaps a shower to wash away the ick
    Aly
    I. Need. ANSWERS.

I was so addicted to this book when I was reading it. I stayed up through the night, only to feel sad that I had to go to sleep. I immediately started reading again whenever I had the spare time.

This book just pulled me in. While at first I wasn't so interested, as soon as Fortuna used her Nightmare powers I was hooked. I became to curious as to what her story would develop, and the strange man who helped save her. We don't spend much time in the human world. It goes by quite
    Naadira  Moodley (BookedMercy)
    Wow.... just wow. I’m incredibly impressed right now. Fortuna Sworn was everything I didn’t know I needed. I’m a huge fan of urban fantasy and not many books that I have come across have captured my full attention and made me become a fan from the very page but fortunately Fortuna Sworn created a die hard fan in me.

Fortuna Sworn has only one thing in the world that means something to her and that was her brother who disappeared two years ago. Although people have given up hope, Fortuna hasn’t a
    Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
    4.5 Cranky Stars

Fortuna Sworn is a Nightmare dressed like a daydream. Ok sorry for breaking out my inner Taylor Swift but it’s true. Fortuna is a species called a Nightmare and with one touch to your skin she can see your worst fears and project them into your head and make you scared.

Her looks are based on what you find beautiful to make her more alluring to you. She’s a rare breed indeed. She made a promise to take care of her brother for always and when he goes missing, she doesn’t stop look
    Elizabeth
    Jul 14, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    I received this book for free through Netgalley.

So... I wanted to like this book much more than I did. I thought the concept was interesting; unfortunately, I the execution left much to be desired.

My first issue was with the passive voice of the the book in general, but in particular the early chapters. So much of what was going on was just Fortuna thinking this, Fortuna thinking that, Fortuna remembering this over thing that already happened... This made the pacing of the book very slow. It's
    K.J. Sutton lives in a land of darkness and snow. She spends her time writing stories or watching twisted shows on Netflix. She always has a cup of Vanilla Chai in her hand and despises wearing anything besides pajamas. She adores interacting with fellow writers and readers. Until then, she's hard at work on her next book. K.J. Sutton also writes young adult novels as Kelsey Sutton.

Be friends wit