Jump to ratings and reviews

Swoon #2

Wait For Me

He makes an offer I can’t refuse. I never thought I was saving myself for anyone. Until Lucas.

Lucas

My priorities are my daughter and my job as a first responder. Romance isn’t even on the radar. Until one little package changes everything.

In a single mind-blowing hour, I end up with a package meant for Valentina Smith, and I find out she’s innocent & untouched. I won’t even mention what’s in that package.

Next thing I know, my other brain gets the best of me. Valentina deserves the best, so that brain says, running my mouth like it has no business.

I don’t expect to fall for her. So hard it brings me to my knees. Did I mention she’s meant to be worshipped?

Valentina

O.M.G. Hotter than sin Lucas Cole got my package. And opened it. I just knew God had it in for me.

I’ve got a problem to solve with just the solution. Until Lucas ends up with my, ahem, toy.

Lucas is everything I can’t have—hot, broody, and the kind of guy who rescues people for a living. I don’t need to be rescued, but I wouldn’t mind a taste of the rest.

*This is a full-length, standalone romance with a guaranteed HEA.

217 pages, ebook

First published August 5, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

J.H. Croix

140 books1,277 followers
USA Today Bestselling Author J. H. Croix lives in a small town in the historical farmlands of Maine with her husband and two spoiled dogs. Croix writes steamy contemporary romance with strong independent women and rugged alpha men who aren't afraid to show some emotion. Her love for quirky small-towns and the characters that inhabit them shines through in her writing. Take a walk on the wild side of romance with her bestselling novels!

Sign up for information about my new releases:

You can find me online here:

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
41 (4%)
1 star
9 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 123 reviews
Profile Image for Christie.
851 reviews30 followers
July 19, 2020

I was hoping I would enjoy this even more than book one because it’s a single dad romance (one of my favourite tropes). However unfortunately this fell a little flat for me.

While Valentina and Lucas had good chemistry and I liked the initial set up of the storyline, I didn’t really buy that their connection went any deeper than lust. We were never really told why they were falling for each other and the storyline never dove super deep into their backgrounds (which were both pretty interesting and could have been explored a lot more, imo). Valentina is from a hippie but also super religious family and is still a virgin in her mid-20s and Lucas is a single dad who found out his wife was cheating on him after her death. There was potential for two really interesting and unique characters, but the exploration of their pasts felt very surface-level, which is an issue I had with book one, too.

It all added up to a sweet and mildly enjoyable but not great romance - definitely not bad and there were things I enjoyed about it, but not a new favourite.
Profile Image for Nate.
15.9k reviews19 followers
August 29, 2019
I liked this one. Good characters. A heartwarming & intriguing book. I'm voluntarily leaving an honest review for a free copy of the book via booksprout.
Profile Image for Vfc.
1,411 reviews
Read
January 3, 2021
Which twenty-five year old is as naive to blurt out that she’s a virgin?
Profile Image for Coco.V.
46.4k reviews4 followers
Want to read
August 30, 2021
🎁 Books 1 & 2 in the Series are FREE on Amazon & on Apple iBooks today (8/30/2021)!🎁
Profile Image for Kathy.
1,436 reviews24 followers
August 7, 2019
Ms. Croix does it again! She is a master at writing sexy, swoony romances with heart. There is humor, angst, and lots of heart. When reading Ms. Croix's writing, you always get invested in the characters. I love that the series highlight one couple in every book but we can still visit with previous couples too. Love this series!!
Profile Image for Michal.
763 reviews63 followers
August 11, 2019
In a nutshell,
Small town life. She was a virgin (I'm really tired of this type of heroine), he was a single dad.
And nothing was new.
I've read it a thousand times before.

I gave the story three stars because I liked the beginning but after that 😴 and I stopped reading it after 50%.
Profile Image for RateTheRomance.
723 reviews122 followers
May 22, 2020
I am in the midst of reading this entire series and WAIT FOR ME was good, but felt a little light on the actual meaningful relationship outside of sex.

The plot centers around a religiously raised heroin, who reaches 26 years old and is still a virgin, and a single dad without room in his life for a relationship. Yes, the scenes were steamy and both of these characters are likable, but there wasn't a lot of dating or building of a relationship outside of the sexual relationship that they begin as a means of ridding her of her inexperience (although it is clear there is a lot of attraction on both sides before this arrangement is in place).

Having been raised in a very conservative religion myself (and ALSO remaining a virgin into my mid-20's) I felt that the writing was way off as far as the heroine's first sexual experiences. She has zero shame, zero self-consciousness, and often instigates the sexual encounters. One very difficult part of being raised in a faith in which pre-marital sex is a NO-NO is that even after someone is married and "allowed" to have sex, those feelings of sex being "off limits" don't magically disappear. It takes a while and some time to feel confident being sexual...sometimes YEARS. It's a struggle that MANY raised in this way encounter. I wonder if, while writing this, the author might have explored this a bit more and spoken with women who had lived this story in real life before diving in.

There was nothing too complex here or outside of exactly what you would expect from this trope. I love J.H. Croix, but this novel was not my favorite.
Profile Image for Heather.
541 reviews
October 28, 2021
This is the second book of the series and can be read as a standalone. This was just an ok read for me. This was Valentina and Lucas’s story.

He is a hunky and dreamy widowed single Dad/ EMT/everything else it seems. He was unfortunately tainted by relationships by his deceased wife and no longer looks for emotional connections with woman. He meets his needs and moves on and his partners understand that. Until one day he, interacts with Valentina and starts to believe their may be a chance for happiness for him…

She is a beautiful, innocent and sassy single woman and accountant. She grew up in a very religious family and was sheltered from all things sensual and sexual. She is a grown woman who has barely had a good kiss let alone a boyfriend or sex. She has an instant draw to Lucas and after a single embarrassing interaction their relationship changes.

These two have lustful chemistry for days, but I feel like that is where their connection ends. I was disappointed because the storyline had great promise, but their relationship did not develop emotionally like I hoped. There were funny moments and great sexy time, but the rest of it fell short for me. ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Profile Image for Schellie.
548 reviews
February 17, 2020
Super Swoon Worthy

Valentina has lived a rather sheltered life with her hippie/religious parents. No dating, home schooled and few friends. This job at Stolen Hearts Lodge is a godsend, giving her some distance to spread her wings. Lucas lost his wife to an aneurism and found out later that she had a affair with his friend. He has sworn off relationships, sticking with casual. He has a daughter to think of and Riley is top priority! Now, a package with a big pink vibrator, has brought the two of them together. Lucas learns that Valentina is a virgin, hence the reason for the vibrator. In a moment of weakness, Lucas tells her if she is looking for help in losing her virginity, she can call him! Well damn, was he serious? Could she really have a chance to be with the one person who has gotten her motor running, the one she’s been waiting for? Can two people with entirely different agendas find a love that lasts a lifetime? This book was wonderfully steamy and sexy as hell! Lucas and Valentina will steal your heart for sure!
Profile Image for Kelly-Jo Sweeney.
990 reviews12 followers
April 6, 2021
I enjoyed this quite sweet romance between Lucas and Valentina. I'm not sure how old either of them is supposed to be, but Lucas has a six-year-old daughter from his previous marriage. Valentina on the other hand has had a very sheltered upbringing and hasn't even been allowed to date. She's never had sex and when Lucas finds out about this, she asks him to help out. They have a huge amount of chemistry already, so it's not a difficult task for him.
I did like their relationship. Despite Valentina's lack of experience, she isn't dominated by Lucas or rushed into anything. The only thing that annoyed me slightly, is that Lucas seemed obsessed by the fact that she was a virgin. He brings it up just about every time he thinks about her until they first sleep together. I know that's the hook that brings them together, but it's just the fact that it's always that she's a virgin, not inexperienced. Maybe that's just me, I'm not a huge fan of contemporary romances when the woman is so inexperienced, but I did still find this one an entertaining read.
Profile Image for chelsea violet.
74 reviews1 follower
October 2, 2021
I enjoyed Wait For Me, the romance was adorable and I loved the whole premise of the book.

I loved Valentina’s character, I think she was very strong-willed and wasn’t scared to say what was on her mind. She was extremely patient and so very understanding, I loved how she didn’t force anything on the Hero and knew when the time was right and when it was wrong.

Our hero, Lucas was quite the interesting character. The Single Dad trope is one of my favourite, and I loved the relationship between him and his daughter. Did I agree with some of his decisions regarding Valentina? No, but I understood why he did what he did. Nonetheless, he made me smile and I really loved him, he was sweet and caring towards the heroine.

Overall, I really did like the book. The characters were very interesting and I loved the whole family dynamic between Valentina and her co-workers/friends.

4⭐️ | 2🌶
256 reviews2 followers
September 18, 2021
Heroine was best part

I’ll start by saying I didn’t know when I first started reading this that it was the second book in the series. I have read many, but not all of Croix’s other books. I am sad to say this wasn’t my favorite series of hers. Usually I have no problem picking up a book out of order, for some reason with this one I felt a little lost about the other characters. Maybe if I read them in order it would help? Valentina was by far my favorite part of this book - she was honest, straightforward, and likable. I had high expectations after the mixed up box scene, but I had a har time staying engaged. I’ll definitely try another book by Croix
Profile Image for Sofía Carrere.
76 reviews
June 27, 2021
I went head first into this book expecting long and marvellous descriptions about the small town (just like the ones I've read in "When Love Comes") and was a tiny bit disappointed at the fast pace of the story. But then, in one chapter, J.H. Croix described a beautiful twilight in which my heart squeezed and I forgave her everything.
The story in itself was really good. I have a really soft spot for single dads and Lucas was excellent. His interactions with Rylie were everything! I loved his relationship with Valentina and how they were together!
Profile Image for Janet Simmons.
657 reviews
October 7, 2021
I really liked this more so than book 1. I cracked up when Lucas brought Valentina's package back to her. That was so funny.
Lucas has a lot going on in his life taking care of his daughter, being a first responder and working on the rescue farm and taking care of his house. He doesn't think he has time to deal with a relationship in his life. Valentina is the accountant at the farm now and taking over more to help but she would love to find a relationship..thus is the storyline. I enjoyed reading this book can be read as a standalone better if read #1 first. HEA
1,084 reviews3 followers
March 30, 2021
Pink 🐖

Pink blushes, pink socks, and pink piggies ☺️. Valentina is smart, has an old soul and is innocent. She buys a pink toy via mail only for Lucas, whom she thinks is HOT, opens it. The fun starts here. The storyline and characters were well rounded and developed. The story has plenty of characters, so there is potential for more fun for more standalones. No cheating or cliffhanger and you get some steamy intimacy scenes and it ends on a happy note. Enjoy 🤓
Profile Image for Jackie.
1,316 reviews3 followers
September 24, 2021
cute story

Lucas. Oh poor Lucas. He was definitely done wrong. First he lost his wife with an infant to care for. Then he learned she had been having an affair with his friend. Wow. I’d be guarded too. Valentina was adorable and innocent but so honest it just made you love her and that made rylie his little girl fall in love with her too. Loved the story. glad how got his head out of his butt. Lol
Profile Image for Lissa J.
129 reviews1 follower
September 26, 2021
Quick uncomplicated steamy romance. Enjoyable, not your typical character backgrounds and well written. Skips the will they won't they drama of the relationship in a believable way that keeps they story moving forward and stops it from getting bogged down in details. I'll be keeping this author in mind for sweet and steamy romance that doesn't bore or frustrate me and is a quick read.
Profile Image for Barbara.
1,199 reviews4 followers
October 22, 2021
Stubborn widower

Lucas' wife died suddenly leaving him with a young daughter. He's surprised to find out she was cheating on him when she died. Now his focus is his daughter and his job. Valentina is a virgin and they're attracted to each other. Maybe they can have fun sex but no more, until that's not enough.
Profile Image for Kim.
1,484 reviews9 followers
November 1, 2021
Simple honest love story

This is a love story that starts off rather unconventionally and proceeded slowly until Lucas could deal with his baggage and come to terms with his feelings. Valentina was open and honest and easy to love. Rylie was a sweet bonus. It's refreshing to read a simple honest love story. Well worth reading.
Profile Image for Debbie B.
52 reviews
November 8, 2021
Happiness Threefold

Really enjoyed readng "Wait For Me" by J.H. Cross. The characters are well defined and the story is something readers may identify with. Well... some lucky reader might have experienced falling in lust, lots of lust, and then love!
The book had embarrassing moments and many laugh out loud scenes!

Great read! Enjoy!
Profile Image for Mindy.
801 reviews2 followers
May 4, 2020
I lived this book. Itvwas great. I loved all the characters. I loved the story line. It left me wanting to know more about the other characters and hopefully see updstes on these two in future reads.
1,403 reviews7 followers
June 1, 2020
This is a heartwarming story with great characters, it is sexy and swoony and has lots of emotions. Lucas and Valentina are the next great couple in this series and they captured my interest from the beginning. I look forward to more of this series.
Profile Image for Debbie.
684 reviews
October 31, 2020
I was a bit dubious as I haven’t been a fan of this author, because she repeats the stories past too much. She did again but a lot less. I liked the story tho it took until the last chapter for them to say the I love yous
964 reviews
May 3, 2021
A single dad and a lady with many talents, a hurt heart and a compassionate heart. Taking a chance or staying protected but frozen. Challenges for our main characters.

I received a free copy of this book via BookFunnel and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Profile Image for Mary Jane McLeod.
2,070 reviews3 followers
August 31, 2021
Great Series

I'm really enjoying this series and getting to know all the characters. I loved Lucas & Valentina’s story. These two such a great couple. It takes them both awhile to figure it out but they eventually get there. A captivating read.
292 reviews
September 11, 2021
Unfortunately this has the same issues I had with book 1. The backgrounds of the characters are never really delved into, and the characters attraction is mainly physical and based on lust. There’s so much potential but it just didn’t achieve it. I guess this series is not for me.
68 reviews
September 26, 2021
Single Parent Meets Downfall

Sweet, sexy romance featuring a hot single dad who's sworn off commitments and a blunt speaking virgin ready to change her status.
What will it take to convince these two that they belong together?
October 8, 2021
Sweet storyline regarding love with experience, love lost and other experiences mentioned. I generally liked this book has honest, no filter ar times, joyful moments one can appreciate. Thanks again @bookbub
Profile Image for Baby Girl.
490 reviews2 followers
October 10, 2021
Sweet Love Story

Valentina and Lucus 's story was truly sweet and funny at times. Loved how their story began. Their first encounter was a hoot for the readers, but embarrassing for Valentine... Great sappy read!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 123 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.