Start by marking “Insolent” as Want to Read:
Insolent

Insolent

Releasing as part of the 2019 Sinister Fairy Tales Collection!

There’s a girl screaming at the top of a hill,
Burdened by a duty she was born to fulfill.
There’s a quiet killer lurking nearby,
Watching as she wishes only to die.
She’s tasked by her mother to marry a man,
Until the demon from hell puts a wrench in the plan.
Their fates will twine in inconceivable ways.
But wher
Published December 9th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Insolent, please sign up.
Cynthia Rodriguez In an effort to keep from being sued, I’ll say this:
It’s a Brave undertaking, for sure. 😊…more
In an effort to keep from being sued, I’ll say this:
It’s a Brave undertaking, for sure. 😊(less)

Start your review of Insolent
Natalie ✩★ The Biblioholic ★✩
I'm in love with this series and every single story is a magical treat! Moira was an abused girl, tortured by her family, tormented by her wants and desires. Sol was a man, tortured by his past, bound to a vendetta, tormented by his wants and desires. When these two meet, worlds collide, hearts ache, darkness finds a welcome home, and dreams that they didn't even know to dream really could come true.

She is both his tribulation and his triumph.
But he would only ever be her ruin.

I'll be honest
NiCoLeTa E. {Addicted To Books}
***3,25 "Unsatisfying in a way!!!" stars***

You know by now, how much obsessed I've become with these dark and sinister fairytales...
As a child, i was loving fairytales and as an adult, i still love these stories and even more in their dark and twisted form!!!
The beginning with Venom by Dee Garcia was really impressive and i loved the way she twisted the known story into something dark but sooo beautiful!!!
So, when i heard that "Insolent" was the retelling of Brave, i run to read it!!!!

Unfort
Louise H  -  ⭐ Life in the Book Lane Reviews ⭐
A barely OK for me read that I'm sure others will love.

I wish I could give this more stars, I truly do, but for me this was scraping at being an OK read. Some of that, maybe a fair sized chunk, is due to personal preferences, so please don't let the 1.5 stars put you off. I'd also argue that the film it is based on is not a fairy tale, but - semantics!

Insolent is a very atmospheric, mysterious and intriguing read. It took my a little while to realise it was set in the present day, and not some m
Birjis
Insolent is the story of an abused girl tortured by her family. She unknowingly became a victim when little, leading to her mother's wrath from then on.

I didn't understand which story is this retelling of. The story background was not clear at first. I thought it was regency era period until later I figured the story was set in mordern era. Excessive use of Spanish language and not explaining it's meaning is frustating.

The story was great. It had a mysterious and dark atmosphere. Lots of revel
Kay's Blushing Book Reviews
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dark-romance
Another great addition to the Sinister Fairy Tales. This is the vey dark and twisted retelling of Brave. The author did a brilliant job of this story weaving her creativeness throughout. Cynthia is a new author for me and I really enjoyed her writing style. I will be looking up her other titles and checking them out for sure.

Moira and Sol’s story is of two broken souls, brought together on a journey through death, darkness and destiny. There are no princes or white knights in this story only lo
Steph's Romance Book Talk
3.5 Stars / 3 Steam Fans

This is part of the sinister fairytale collection of well-known fairytales being reimagined and retold in dark and twisted ways. This one starts off having a Brave feeling; however, for me, it ended up not blowing me away. The opening prologue is FANTASTIC and I was blown away and dragging into the story. By the end, I really didn't feel like I was taken on any sort of journey. In some ways I think the author was being overly cautious with the journey of Moira so that it
SimplyƝì₭
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: new-author, arc-2019
Not my favorite book. The writing style is riddled with errors and syntax issues. I could not get involved with the MC character. The sexy villain was doable tho.
TheSassyNerdBlog
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cynthia is a new author to me, so I went into this not knowing what to expect and from page one I was completely consumed by this dark retelling fairytale. I am loving these retellings in Sinister Fairy Tales series, and this one blew me away. It's certainly on the darker side. It's full of secrets, obsession, revenge, passion, and love.

Moria, the heroine of the story was extraordinary. With each scene in this book, she grew inbounds, she fights the darkness that lives within her and her streng
Tyi
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think it is funny because just the other day, I spoke to a friend about the different kinds of heroines. You see the ones that are wishy washy. You see the ones that fall over themselves to get the guy. These heroines usually don't have any thoughts of their own. I want more from a heroine. I want them to look into flames and see what can be, especially when everything else is no more. I loved reading this story, Insolent. It brought so much to the table. The characters were flawed physically ...more
Daniele
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are only a few books that leave me breathless, this is one of them. Cynthia's retelling of this tale will take you on such a journey, where the Heroine becomes stronger with each turn of the page, where the Villain becomes a man you could fall for (or at least if you are me or like me) and where the strength of their own convictions create this amazing chemistry that you have no idea what the reaction of that will lead them too.

It's a brilliant, action-packed, keep you guessing until the
Valeen Robertson (Live Thru Books Blog)

Moira has had a terrible life thanks to her mother. So when she comes into contact with Sol, an assassin with her family in his cross hairs, she'd rather he kills her than leave her to her mother. Thus starts their journey that is actually quite beautiful in its own terribly twisted, dark way.

I have to confess that I've never seen the movie this is based on, which is probably good, because I was able to appreciate this story on its own. And I gotta say, I really liked it. It's dark y
Kahea
***5 'Violence and Infatuation' Stars***

I devoured this baby.

DE-VOU-RED.

Once I started, I couldn’t (wouldn’t) put it down (which meant that I totally extended my lunch break and ignored that whole #workthing ~ but it was sooo worth it) It was everything that my dark romance loving heart loves and then some.

Sol and Moira. I adored these two. They’ve been through so much in their lives that the darkness that lives in them isn’t hard to believe. They are strong, stubborn and though their hearts
Nerdy Dirty & Flirty
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jess~
This is the latest installment of the Sinister Fairytales. It was another dark and twisted tale. Where the others have had a fantastical/paranormal feel this one does not. This was a straight-up twisted retelling and very loosely based on Brave.

Moira, the sunflower with fiery red hair, has had a terrible existence at the hands of her mother and bothers. She has been sheltered from any caring contact and is about to be married off to a suitor of her mother's selection. That is until Sol an
Tiffany S
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was everything I wanted it to be. Atmospheric and haunting. Was like a fever dream in its intensity.
Joyffree
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-tbr
Not quite how I remembered Brave - Quite like this version a bit better
The story almost has a dream-like feel to it
Some of the scenes are so vivid others feel raw barley tangible
Love 💘the main characters
Fast-paced and oh so colorful- the crimson kind just to clarify
Moira's is a fiery red-haired whirlwind rising from the horrors that were once her home
and delving straight into the chaos that is Sol.
Sol's attention is captured by the vexing little thing that is Moira
she should be fearing him, pl
Lager & Lefse Book Blog
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
So, there are a few things you should know going into this book. It’s supposed to be a dark re-telling of Merida, but the heroine here is Moira and it’s actually placed in present time. Now, knowing these two things, let’s begin.

Cynthia is a new to me author. Her writing is fantastic, despite not really getting any Moira vibes (which is ok with me). She can suck you into this mystical present time world that is full of darkness and mysteries and give you a dark mythical feeling story.

Moira is a
SCBookAddict
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Insolent is part of the Sinister Fairy Tales Collection and is a spin on Merida in Brave. But don't go in thinking it's going to be a retelling. The author changed it, twisted it and gave it a whole different storyline that kept me lured with the mysteries and the darkness.

I loved the direction the author took with this story. How the outside world only sees what's being shown to them and how Moira's life isn't everything people think it is.

I REALLY wanted this book to be a five star read but
Kathy West
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Moira and Sol have a very interesting story.

Moira is the abused girl from a non-loving family. She has always had to deal with her mothers tough words and un-loving hands.

Sol wants to kill Moira and her entire family. Why? Well that’s a secret. But once he sees Moira, he can’t do it. He can’t kill her.

But is it his choice? Is someone else running the show?

I gave this book 3 stars for a few reason.

I liked the book but there were parts that I felt dragged a bit. I liked the characters and the plot
Sally Mieske
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m really loving the Sinister Fairytales Series. This author is new to me, and although the writing is very good, I couldn’t connect with the characters. Insolent is told in the third person, and from several characters POV.

Insolent is a dark retelling of Brave. I’ve never personally seen it, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. It’s definitely dark and twisted. Neither character is afraid of death. Sol is out for vengeance and Moira is out to escape her life.

I felt that this story was missing so
Beauty And The Books
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kristen
I'm going to be totally honest here I have loved every book in this series so far and I really wanted to love this one too but it just wasn't for me. I think this book is a retelling of Brave but I can't be sure the book felt rushed to be and at times I felt like pieces of the story were missing. Moria lived in a world of captivity were her mother would beat her, and so would her brothers enters Sol. Sol has been alone for a long time and wants revenge only when the time comes he can't bring him ...more
♥️Fantasy Land  Book Reviewer♥️
27034655-SX540-png

*First time reading this author

Insolent is not a typical love story. It is a slow burn with many levels of deceit, twists, and mayhem. I had little idea what I was getting into when I started this retelling since I had never watched Brave, so I went in blind. I am sure it had some liking to it with the red hair and bow/arrow, but this story is no childhood story. There are blood and death, darkness, and maybe some love. Moira is a beautiful character that you will root for throughout the whole s
Ashley (PIC -Passionate for the Indie Community ) Allen
This is a book apart of the Sinister Fairy Tales Collection. This book pulled me in at the very beginning but than lost me a bit. To me the story did get better and I enjoyed where the story lead. A dark and twisted Version of the fairytale Brave.

Vext’s Vixens Book Blog
Jenn (The Book Refuge)
Eh?

Not sure how I feel. This was the weakest concept so far, in my opinion. Needed much more fleshing out.
Sophie Ruthven
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 archery stars to the heart.
God I love it when this author goes dark, you never know what to expect and this book was no different.
Every book from her gets better and better.
There is so much I could say about this book but I won't as it needs to be read to be believed.
The characters in this book will rip your heart out and leave you bleeding on the floor.
Definitely a must read and the perfect addition to this collection.
jacquetta pettigrew
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely a dark spin on a fairytale. And every time you think you have connected the pieces, a new curveball is thrown at you! It gives a large insight to wealthy hells & family dynasty skeletons(run with that).

Every family has their secrets but how deep do they really go! What would you do to survive? Is anyone truly ready to look death in the face?

I am SO in love!!! I love a dark fairytale and this hit the spot! The Brothers Grimm would be proud!
Heather 'Confessions Of A Bibliophile' Creighton
Confessions 3 1_2 Stars
❝ How could a woman fall in love with a man sent straight from Hell? First, she fell in love with the rage. Then the freedom. Then the blood. And then, him.❞
Insolent by Cynthia A. Rodriguez is book number four from the multi-author Sinister Fairy Tale Collection! I have been really enjoying these twisted, dark fairytales! This is my first read from Rodriguez and I’m definitely interested in reading more of her work at some point. Insolent is a dark retelling of Brave but inst
Chrissy Busick
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This is the first book I have read by Cynthia A Rodriguez. I have to admit I was completely blown away. Her retelling of the fairy tale Brave, hooks you from the very beginning and doesn't let go. This book is packed with action, with just enough forbidden romance to keep you turning the page. Moira is such an incredibly strong woman. I hated what she survived at the hands of her mother and brothers, but love the person she became because of it. Sol, he was the dark, bad boy persona that most wo ...more
Mirjam
Jun 20, 2019 marked it as to-read

While part of the Sinister Fairy Tales Collection each can be read as a stand-alone
Crystal
I enjoyed this installment of the Sinister Fairy Tales collection. Not sure if it needs to be said, but I have never seen the movie this book may or may not have based on. (Read the intro Author's note if you need clarification)

There were a few things that I didn't love, one being the 3rd person tense, I feel like it hindered my ability to connect with the characters. Also not a fan of the fade to black sexy bits. I'm generally okay with this if it fits the story (as on a historical or
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Madness
  • Sacrifice
  • Siren
  • Legend
  • Venom (Rosewood Realm #1)
  • Mirage
  • Lock
  • Imprisoned
  • Cold Queen
  • Heart Thief
  • Winter's Arrow (X-Clan, #2)
  • Abducted
  • Starlet
  • The Hunted
  • Zhànzhì: A Dark Retelling
  • Lost Girl
  • Burnout
  • Play Me
Cynthia hates writing her own bio. In her down-time, you can find her watching movies, ranging anywhere from classic to action flicks (she has a weakness for Marvel adaptations), and reading any novel she can get her hands on.

She loves hearing from her readers! You can reach Cynthia at cynthia.a.rodriguez6@gmail.com. Both her Twitter and Instagram handles are @thecynrodriguez.