Start by marking “Heart Thief” as Want to Read:

Heart Thief

Releasing as part of the 2019 Sinister Fairy Tales Collection!

Heart Thief

Monsters come in many forms.
Some want shiny new toys to play with—others want blood.
Mona Walters dreams of adventure, of a world beyond the shoreline she’s confined to. She yearns for vibrancy in her dull, mundane existence, but succumbs to the bleakness.
Until the necklace her sister wore the nig
Published June 8th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Heart Thief, please sign up.

Start your review of Heart Thief
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
Awesomely dark retelling of Moana!

I never read Moana or saw the movie, but I did check out some YouTube videos on the differences between the Disney version of Moana and the real Polynesian story. A lot of that centered around the demigod Maui. In this story there are twins Cash and Colt. Colt is known around town by the nickname demigod since he was in high school.

The story begins with a twelve year old Mona who lives on an island which is run by her father who is pretty much a cult leader to t
❥ KAT ❥ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books
24993460-SX540 bbb
MY REVIEW AND OTHERS: can also be found on my blog:
➽ KITTY KATS CRAZY ABOUT BOOKS
2ir3yw5 HEART THIEF Is a short sinister Fairy Tale by Ker Dukey

Here we meet two sisters, Mona and Clara, who live on a secluded island surrounded by water and run by their father who keeps them under his thumb instilling fear into the congregation making it so they never attempt to leave.

My father wants us to fear the water, so that we never leave this place. Even paddling is forbidden here. There a
Birjis
Sinister version of Moana.

I heard of the Disney character Moana but never watched it. I've read reviews before starting this book because I was so curious/hyper to know what fairytale re-telling I'll be reading, then I went for a little google search.
Although this story has a lot of difference than the original story but the readjustment of Moana left an interesting plot which was engrossing.

Being the daughter of a cult, a hypocritical father whose influence over the whole island was strong,
warhawke
Genre: Dark Romance
Type: Standalone novel from Sinister Fairy Tales collection
POV: First Person – Multiple
Rating:
(4.25 stars)

All her life Mona Walters only ever known the island she was born and bred on. When an unexpected gift reminded her how much she lost, she took matters into her own hands and left to find answers. But the world out there was much more than she could ever imagine especially when she fell into the hands of the Ward brothers.

Mona was a curious island girl. She had a rebel
Natalie ✩★ The Biblioholic ★✩
I'm not sure I'll ever look at the Disney flick Moana the same way again!

Mona and her older sister, Clara, grew up on an island run by their father. Their congregation is viewed as a cult and the sisters aren't blind to how corrupt and hypocritical their father's preachings and rules are. They know that the world outside of theirs is a world of many wonders and despite how much their people fight against that influence, despite the punishment for even having such thoughts, these sisters can'
Louise H  -  ⭐ Life in the Book Lane Reviews ⭐
Heart Thief is a captivating read with some dark sexual elements and violence. It's the first Ker Dukey book I've read and it won't be the last, the writing flowed smoothly and the plot was excellent, with lots of unexpected twists and turns. Mona was a headstrong young girl, barely an adult and terribly naive as a result of her cloistered upbringing. Desperate to fly free from the island before her wings were clipped permanently and servitude was her only future.

We don't meet Cash and Cole unti
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
46258985._SY475_

This was a very loose contemporary retelling of Moana which I have to confess I have actually never seen I know shocker right.
Mona longs to escape her island prison.
The daughter of the leader of a cult her whole life has been about obeying and following her father's strict laws.
Her older sister turned away from the faith and was savagely murdered supposedly by outsiders further forcing the message home that the world beyond there shores is evil and corrupt.
Mona’s eighteenth birthday brings forth
Melanie (mells_view)
Dark twisted fairytale....

An extremely dark cult style take on Moana. It was interesting and definitely dark. There are plenty of things that could be considered triggers and the relationship dynamic is MFM. I will say that the relationship while it was interesting... I just didn’t fully buy it because there wasn’t enough build. I realize that this is a quick read though, so with that in mind I can accept it.

Did I still enjoy this read? Yes. Do I recommend it to people with no triggers and who l
Steph's Romance Book Talk
4.25 Stars / 3 Steam Fans

Video review available in Week 23: May 31 – Jun 6 weekly book reviews.

For other video book reviews, check out my YouTube Channel: Steph's Romance Book Talk.
Pick a Book
4 stars

When I read the blurb of HEART THIEF I had no idea what was the choice of retelling of this author. But right at the beginning we can see it is a dark and twisted retelling of Moana.

Our heroine here calls Mona and she lives in a secluded island where her father is the leader of a cult that believes only the people that lives there is purified. Nobody can leave the place, only the ones chosen to go to get supplies. The people of the island were brainwashed to believe they were serving God
Mirjam
Jun 20, 2019 marked it as to-read

While part of the Sinister Fairy Tales Collection each can be read as a stand-alone
Na
Jun 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Wow, I haven't read Ker Dukey for a while now but always wanted to go back to her stories. I'm so glad I chose this one. :)

I absolutely enjoyed this retelling of a fairytale with dark and sinister twists. The combination of deprivation, greediness and steamy elements made this story an interesting and captivating read.

However, I had trouble connecting this story to the actual fairytale. And the ending was not really believable enough for me. For this ending to work for me, I need more c
CC
4.25 ★

Growing up on an island, Mona Walters led a sheltered and oppressive life with her father as the religious leader. Looking up to her older sister, Mona is devastated when she is murdered. Always wanting adventure and to be able to make her own choices, Mona is determined to leave the island to get answers and find what’s been missing.

“I think life should be experienced. Sensations explored. I want passion, adventure. I want to live.”

With the narration beginning in Mona’s perspective,
Kathy West
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
**This book has some scenes that may be hard to read**

This book is part of the Sinister's Fairytale Collection but it's not so much "fairytale". This books is kind of themed after Moana but there isn't actual 'magic" in it.

Mona as lived on the island her entire life. She has never left it and knows she will never be allowed to leave it. With her father in charge of the island, it is her duty to be in charge once he dies. And it seems it will also be her duty to marry Eli, her crush. But that is
Kahea
***4 Stars***

This was a fun, quick and dark insta love retelling of Moana that hooked me from the first chapter and finishing it in no time flat.

I really liked Mona. Even though she’s been brought up in a cult, she doesn’t believe in the teachings as much as everyone wants her to. She wants to experience life and all that it has to offer. The Ward brothers are all kinds of protective charming goodness. Things happen quickly between them, which I didn’t necessarily mind, because they had a fl
MissPetiteBrunetteBookBlog
Stuck under her fathers rules/cult, Mona Walters wants more. She wants to explore the outside world away from their island and find the truth of what happened to her sister. She was taught that evil lurks beyond their home but so does the truth! The Ward brothers might just have the answers she craves. This is a dark retelling of the fairytale, Moana. A clever, dark romantic suspense that I can’t say much without spoiling it but I think you’ll enjoy. The Ward brothers are both mysterious and per ...more
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. I literally just inhaled this and although I have loads to read all I wanna do is reread this. Heart Thief is brilliant.

This is part of the Sinister Fairy Tales Collection and can be read as a standalone. The storyline is loosely based on the fairy tale Moana.

I’m sorry but I’m not rehashing the storyline for you. If you love taboo reads then I highly recommend this story to you. Another brilliant read from this crazy talented author. Can’t wait to read more from her.
Becky Ballenger
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ker Dukey rocked this Sinister Fairy Tale!!!! I absolutely loved this!!!! I wanna read it over and over!!!! It’s dark, taboo, lucious, yummy, and keeps you entangled until the very end!!!!! Absolutely PERFECT!!!!
Amber- Leave Me Alone I’m Reading
Ohh snap! This book was super good. I honestly wasn’t sure what fairytale this was based on, but I riddled it out. I have never seen the movie, but I loved Heart Thief! It’s dark and delicious. I want those Ward brothers for myself! Hot damn! Definitely recommend this book if you want a sexy, quick read with suspense and plenty of darkness!!
Ashley Cestra
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-favorites
THIS IS AN AMAZING STORY! My eyes were bugging out with the twist at the end! Like whatt?!!
Ker Dukey is one of my favorite authors, and if you ever read her I’m sure you know why! Her imagination is insane and dark and full of passion, and emotion. Ahhh, I can’t get enough!

Heart thief is her retelling of Moana and wow was it so original, I wish it was a movie! I really enjoyed how she followed the main theme of the story but really made it her own with the added characters and the side story l
Thea™
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another GREAT read from the Sinister Fairy Tale collection. IF this is a fairy tale (and I wouldn't know which fairy tale it should refer to??) it's a truly fucked up one! 😁 And I LOVED everything about it! Quick read!

Breen
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Another addition to the Sinister Fairy Collection and what story Heart Thief was. Probably it’s gonna be a long post because I’ve so man things I want to say about this story. First I know that the Sinister Fairy Collection main point is the retelling of classic fairytales and I’m a lover of retelling but the thing with Heart Thief is that more than being a retelling of Moana to me it was my first time reading something about her story. I was pretty excited about that! Plus it had a dark theme ...more
Bunnycore
I love me some Ker Dukey, she tends to write worlds that suck you in and shock you with the twists. Heart Theif is a good example of that.

I am not going to write spoilers in this one, because well I feel that you need to read it with a clear mind.

Mona is the princess of the island her father runs a cult. Mona wants nothing more than to explore, to see the world outside of the island. Her father has other plans.

This book was heart-wrenching in spots, the only thing I have to say is that there
Becky Rendon
Jun 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Ker Dukey is a darkened corner in a light filled world. I knew she would have something devilishly entertaining for us. Though I haven't seen or read Moana, I imagine Heart Thief is a unique take on it.

As intriguing as it is, Heart Thief doesn't quite hit the bar I held. I've read a few Ker Dukey novels and always leave them transfixed and clinging to the words. Heart Thief was lacking in the usual depth of character. I also felt as the the reader is on a treadmill. We got on smiled at our neig
Elizabeth
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Queen of Darkness has smashed it again 👏🏼❤️ I absolutely loved this twisted take on the Disney film Moana. I was hooked right from the very beginning. Mona is such a feisty character trapped on an island by her cult leader father. On her 18th birthday she escapes and washes ashore on the property of the ward brothers. What follows is journey of self discovery, a lot of mixed emotions, lies, betrayal, sex and a few murders chucked in for good measure lol. I loved it.☺️❤️
As others have mention
Rowan Parker
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If this is sinning, I'll burn in the depth of hell willingly, accepting God's wrath to feel this good.

As part of the Sinister Collections Ker Dukey brings an amazingly twisted little piece of dark delishiousness!   I devoured every single page. I had absolutely no idea what to expect from this, went in completely blind and was so glad I did. Expect the unexpected, as soon as I realised it was cult related it made my little black heart go crazy, this is one subject that will always pull me in, h
K.  Ramjohn
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Heart Thief is the latest addition to the sinister fairytales collection and is a dark retelling of Moana. The story was original, gritty and different and will have you glued to the pages. Told in varying POV, this story had some nail biting suspense, some intense chemistry, mystery and danger. Although a short read, this tale about breaking free and trying new experiences was imaginative and you will not be able to put it down. I enjoyed it and would recommend it to all lovers of dark romance.
Chrissy Busick
Jun 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Overall this is a good story and fairly well written. I loved Mona. She was determined to find her own way in the world and not just live the life her society told her she should. I enjoyed the Ward brother's, but would have loved to have learn more about each of them. I absolutely hated Mona's father and Eli.

Ker Dukey has an interesting mind. Her creativity in designing the cult island is mind blowing.
Laci
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I kinda wish I would I've gotten more of them together, but overall I really enjoyed this and couldn't put it down. Lots of suspense.
Valeen Robertson (Live Thru Books Blog)

Amazon US / Amazon CA / Amazon UK / Amazon AU

Mona is, like her sister, Clara, curious about life beyond her island home's shores. But her father, a virtual cult leader, keeps order in his people by way of fear and instilling in them dislike of the water. So no swimming, no going off the island. Clara is determined to leave, and leave she does, but ends up murdered, furthering her father's beliefs that the outside world is evil.

Clara's murder only makes Mona even more determined to leave.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Starlet
  • Zhànzhì: A Dark Retelling
  • Winter's Arrow (X-Clan, #2)
  • Abducted
  • Madness
  • Lock
  • Insolent
  • Sacrifice
  • Hood River Zero (Hood River Hoodlums, #4)
  • Imprisoned
  • Venom (Rosewood Realm #1)
  • Siren
  • Legend
  • Stroke of Midnight
  • Mirage
  • Campfire Chaos (Hood River Hoodlums, #3)
  • Cold Queen
  • Monster (Her Dark Fae Prince, #1)
Ker Dukey is an International bestselling author based in the United Kingdom.
Genres include:
Dark Romance, Psychological Thriller, New Adult Romance, Romantic Suspense, and Erotic Romance. Ker, is an international bestselling author, with over thirty titles published. Her titles have held multiple #1 bestseller banners and have had rights sold to numerous countries.

In addition to being an author

News & Interviews

“Hearts are fragile things. Like glass, once broken, they are forever changed. Your heart isn't scarred, baby, it's full of the memories.” 0 likes
“You stole my heart like a thief in the night, and you've been stealing it every day since.” 0 likes