Start by marking “Read with Pride (The Paper & Hearts Society, #2)” as Want to Read:
Read with Pride (The Paper & Hearts Society, #2)

Read with Pride

(The Paper & Hearts Society #2)

The much anticipated second book in The Paper & Hearts Society series by Booktuber Lucy Powrie. Will you be the next recruit for The Paper & Hearts Society book club? For fans of Holly Smale and Super Awkward.

Published May 28th 2020 by Hodder Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Read with Pride, please sign up.
Lizzie No. The books can be read as standalones or in a different order to the one they were published in. However, you may enjoy the books more if you read …moreNo. The books can be read as standalones or in a different order to the one they were published in. However, you may enjoy the books more if you read them in order as you get more context to what is going on and get to see the character development better. Hope that helped! (less)

Start your review of Read with Pride (The Paper & Hearts Society, #2)
Lucy Powrie
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
The Paper & Hearts Society: Read with Pride is the second book in the Paper & Hearts Society series for teenagers (12+) and follows Olivia Santos as she tries to show everyone the importance of reading with pride after her school library restricts access to books with LGBTQ+ content.

It’s about fighting for what you believe in, finding people who understand you like nobody else, and what happens when you take too much on and don’t know how to cope. There’s also a Book Olympics and lots and LOTS
Yasmin
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I JUST REALISED I DID NOT LEAVE A REVIEW FOR THIS BOOK?!

I was lucky enough to be able to emotionally blackmail the author into giving me an early look at this book, and pals, let me tell you, YOU ARE IN FOR A TREAT. I will keep my review vague, plot wise, because I don't want to spoil.

I loved this book honestly so damn much. I freaking love the Paper & Hearts Society gang and loved hanging with them in book 1. I am pleased to say that book 2 contains even more book shenanigans, more donuts, and
Clara (The Bookworm of Notre-Dame)
4.5 ✨

It was, once again, AMAZING. Would HIGHLY recommend.
Rach
May 20, 2020 rated it liked it
This is the second book in the series

Olivia Santos is excited at finishing her last year in secondary school. Olivia loves reading. She goes out to check out a book in the school library and finds there is a new policy for checking books out. In turns out a parent has complained about LGBTQ+ content in a book. Olivia is determined to stop this new policy. Olivia is the main POV in the book. Olivia is demisexual and is in a relationship with Cassie.

This book is about fighting for what you beli
Lauren James
A warm-hearted, intensely compassionate look at a group of queer teenager bookworms fighting for equality in their school library. This is aimed at ages 12+, and is going to help so many people learn about sexuality and diversity. I love the book club so much, and it was so nice to see how far they've come since the first book in the series (though this can be read as a standalone). Ed is my favourite character, and I'm so excited to see where they all go next. Lucy is a star of UKYA.
Sophie
I was late to the party for The Paper & Hearts Society, but fell in love with the cast of characters as soon as I read it, so knew that I needed Olivia's story when it was released. In Read With Pride, we follow Olivia Santos as she navigates year 11 and all the difficulties that entails. After being supported by her friends when she told them she was demisexual, and finding Cassie returned her feelings, she didn't think anything could bring her down, but her school has brought in a new, archaic ...more
Kara Babcock
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to read the sequel to The Paper & Hearts Society , and Lucy Powrie does not disappoint. Read with Pride is another perfect blend of young adult drama, social awareness, and of course, a shameless love of books.

Olivia Santos (confirmed demisexual, woo!) learns at the start of Year Eleven that her school now requires parental permission to borrow books from the library—all because one parent complained about her son having access to LGBTQ+ themed material. Boo. Olivia, who, if
Beth, BooksNest
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read with Pride is the sequel to The Paper & Hearts Society, but following Olivia rather than Tabby from the first book. This series is about a group of teens who love books and so have formed their own bookclub, the Paper & Hearts Society. One thing I would say about the characters in these books is they actually act their age, you believe they are 16-18 because they are written so well and like real people.

The highlight of this book for me was how inclusive of LGBTQIA+ characters it is. The c
ThatBookGal
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I need to write a full review and blog post shortly, but this is just as cute as the first with an important message behind it!

*** Thanks to the publisher for my review copy, in exchange for the honest review that will be on its way shortly! ***
Anniek
These books are super cute, and definitely good 3 stars. I've had a lot of fun reading this one, but I just thought the writing style left something to be desired and the dialogues were pretty cringy at times. I did love how inclusive this was though, and how the book managed to deal with serious topics but still manage to stay uplifting.
Hannah
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
"I #ReadWithPride to reinvent the meaning of happily ever after and to show the world that I deserve mine too, even if it doesn't look like it does in the movies."

I loved this! It was so wholesome but important and it just made me very happy. I would recommend that everyone reads this book, but please read the first book, The Paper and Hearts Society, first! It helps you to understand more about the characters and overall, is a great book which I also loved!

Olivia's (and the rest of Read With P
Hâf
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I describe The Paper and Hearts Society as the bookish novel all teenage bookworms have been waiting for, so I will say that the sequel, Read with Pride, is the bookish novel queer UK teens have been waiting for! Read with Pride continues to fuel us with a brilliant book club, YA novel name drops and strong friendships but also includes a wealth of LGBTQ+ characters, adding an inclusivity we’ve been missing in UKYA. If you haven’t yet read the first book in this series I would definitely urge yo ...more
Shreya Ganguly
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I started reading the Kindle edition of Read With Pride by Lucy Powrie three days after my reading of The Paper and Hearts Society. I loved The Paper and Hearts Society because it was the first book in the series and Lucy evidently spent more time writing it, but I certainly saw Lucy improving as a writer in Read With Pride. At the surface, Read With Pride is the story of a group of queer teenagers resisting the policy and fighting for change together.

Read With Pride revolves around Olivia Sant
Rose | Life Amongst the Pages
Read with Pride has all the charm and warmth of its predecessor but also tackles such an important issue in modern day society, the silencing of inclusivity. Read with Pride is such a brilliant book in highlighting not only the importance, but the need for inclusive literature, more-so making this literature accessible for young people especially who are on the forefront of discovering their true-selves and need to see different sexualities and identities represented in what they read. Read with ...more
Becca Fowell
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for gifting me with an e-arc of this book.
After reading and loving The Paper and Hearts Society last year I was very much looking forward to a sequel. I didn’t expect disappointment and I didn’t get disappointment. This book made me feel so seen and so happy and I cried lots of happy tears.

I liked how we got to see the friendship group from another characters’ point of view; so in the first book it’s from Tabby’s point of view, but this one was from Olivi
Amy
Jun 07, 2020 added it
RTC

I was a massive fan of the first book and this one is no exception.

I loved the focus on pride and the hopeful nature of the book although Lucy still does tackle the subject of burn out, something which I definitely experienced as a teenager but had no idea about. I, therefore, connected so much to Olivia as a character and sympathised with her. I also liked that the book gave voices to a lot of different pride voices in the book but especially asexuality, especially demisexuality, which defi
Ellie
Aug 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
3.5
I definitely enjoyed this book the more I read.
I think at the beginning I found there to be a few too many pop culture references and that everything seemed to be explained more than necessary (though that could be a result of the age target of this book).
But I still really enjoy these characters and love reading about them (particularly Ed) and I think the messages within this book are extremely important and need to be promoted.
Lotte (readbylotte)
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this!
The first one in the series was one of my favorite books that I read this year, and this one deserves those 5 stars as well. I would love to be a part of their bookclub and their friendship is amazing.
The wat they all come together for the same cause had me rooting for all of them from the beginning.
MollyReads✨
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! I absolutely loved being back with these characters and having a different POV, Olivia instead of Tabby, because I loved her character in the first book! I also loved the new characters and Saffy was the sweetest and probably my favourite. But to be honest I mostly loved seeing Ed, Tabby, Henry and Cassie! Read With Pride is also really cool and I loved all the characters stories and experiences I found it really cool and emotional but important. Olivia is such an inspi ...more
Sophie Brown
May 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Throughout June, GeekMom will be celebrating Pride Month with lots of LGBTQ content. Follow the Pride Month tag to find all the content in one space and keep checking back for more throughout the month. Today’s book review is The Paper and Hearts Society: Read with Pride by Lucy Powrie.

Please note: This post contains affiliate links.

The second book of the Paper and Hearts Society series, Read with Pride sees protagonist Olivia starting out on the first day of her final year of secondary school.
Ash Williams
Jun 15, 2020 rated it liked it
*Trigger Warnings – homophobia, mental health, burnout*

Overall opinion of the book:

If I were to describe this book series in one word, it would be wholesome. Powrie is fantastic at writing about very important topics in a way that is completely accessible for a YA and younger teen audience. There are so many things discussed in Read With Pride such as accepting your sexuality, dealing with mental health and the difficult balance between life, firendships and school work.

This second book in The P
Martha
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
After a complaint from a parent, the school library enforces a rule where you can only take out books that feature LGBTQ+ characters after getting written permission from the student's parents. Olivia, rightly outraged, launches a #ReadWithPride campaign so everyone is allowed access to these books, while also raising awareness of the importance of books that feature LGBTQ+ characters. This was a really sweet plotline, which further highlighted the importance of literature.

The book has a change
gemsbooknook  Geramie Kate Barker
‘Olivia Santos is excited for her last year at secondary school. But when a parent complains about LGBTQ+ content in one of the books, the library implements a new policy for withdrawing books. Olivia is distraught – she’s demisexual and knows how important it is for all readers to see themselves represented.
Luckily, she’s the mastermind behind The Paper & Hearts Society book club, and she knows exactly what to do: start a new club, find ways of evading the system, and change the policy for good
Rachael White
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I rated this book four and a half stars.

I enjoyed "Read with Pride" immensely. Exploring Olivia's character was intriguing, funny, and at times, heartbreaking; you can tell that Powrie enjoyed writing this novel. In addition to this, it's lovely to see a book centred around an LGBTQ+ character, who is not a side character for the sake of diversity, but well-thought out. Olivia is a great character for teenagers to consider, when exploring sexuality, because she is written in a mature but approac
Tania
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: friendship
'Read with Pride' is such a lovely book! I definitely prefer this book over the first one, because I have always liked Olivia, so I was very glad she was the protagonist. Olivia is a bubbly and cheerful person, hardworking and high-spirited which is easy to relate to. Olivia, who is demisexual, has a strong support network during the journey of this book: her close and loyal group of friends - The Paper and Hearts Society, her supportive parents, and her new friend group - Read with Pride.

In th
Melissa
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Could I love this book anymore?
I preordered this book as soon as possible, but only just managed to write this review after I got my phone repaired! If you haven't read the first one, don't feel as though you are going to find this book difficult- it's written in such a way that you can follow on anyway. Although, I would recommend reading The Paper & Hearts Society, because it's just so good! The characters are so loveable and relatable and very, very shipable (if that's a word??)! You will mos
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved the first novel of this series and was so excited to pick up the next installment. Powrie did not disappoint with this beautiful blend of drama, social awareness, pride, and bookish love.

This novel follows Olivia, who learns that LGBTQIA+ books now come with a warning and a parental permission slip. She is outraged and decides to do something about it.

She is the complete opposite of Tabby, the protagonist from the first novel but she does put a lot of pressure on herself; trying to juggl
Katie
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for sending me an early e-arc of this book.

I read The Paper and Hearts Society very recently and really enjoyed it, I was eager to get into the next book. I actually think this one was even better.

Read with Pride tackles some really hard hitting topics including homophobia, but does so in such a wonderfully delicate way. It does so much justice to the subject matter whilst also bringing forward the awareness to the reader.

I love the characters. I loved
Natalie Kelly
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Following a summer of fun with her book club, The Paper and Hearts Society are back at school and college. However, upon returning Olivia quickly realises her favourite place, the library has implemented big changes over the summer. Suddenly LGBTQ + books come with warning stickers and are not accessible to all without parental permission. Furious, Olivia who is worried the books are not reaching the people who need them decides to launch an anonymous campaign. She, along with lots of new friend ...more
Katey Lovell
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Olivia and co. are back and this time they're fighting for the right to read with pride as their school library enforces a new system whereby they must get parental permission to take books with LGBTQ+ characters out of the library.

As their campaign grows, the group discover more about themselves and each other... And how important it is to find your people.

Lucy Powrie has done it again, a brilliant and informative teen read.

• Blood Moon
  • Every Little Piece of My Heart
  • Wonderland
  • Heartbreak Boys
  • Hideous Beauty
  • Boy Queen
  • Loveless
  • The Perfect Wife
  • Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • Wilder Girls
  • Sisters
  • The Love Hypothesis
  • Nick and Charlie
  • Honestly Ben (Openly Straight, #2)
  • The Ship of Shadows
  • Asking For a Friend
  • Hold Back the Tide
  • The One and Only Ivan
Lucy Powrie is a blogger, YouTuber and author from the UK. Lucy is the creator of #ukyachat on Twitter. In 2015 Lucy won a UK Young Adult Blogger Award for Champion of YA. When she's not reading, she enjoys cuddling guinea pigs and eating Oreo chocolate, but let's be real: she's mostly always reading. Her debut novel, The Paper & Hearts Society, will be published in June 2019 from Hodder Children’ ...more

The Paper & Hearts Society (3 books)
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
  • Bookishly Ever After (The Paper & Hearts Society #3)