Start by marking “A Convenient Fiction (Parish Orphans of Devon, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Convenient Fiction (Parish Orphans of Devon, #3)

A Convenient Fiction

(Parish Orphans of Devon #3)

She Needed a Husband...

It’s been three years since Laura Hayes’s father died, leaving her and her invalid brother to subsist on the income from the family’s failing perfume business. But time is swiftly running out. What she needs is a husband, and fast. A noble gentleman who can rescue them all from penury. When a mysterious stranger arrives in the village, he seems a
Published October 22nd 2019 by Perfectly Proper Press

To ask other readers questions about A Convenient Fiction, please sign up.
Mimi Matthews Hi Sarah! It will be out in paperback, and audiobook, too. The paperback should be up on pre-order by the end of the month. Audible will be releasing …moreHi Sarah! It will be out in paperback, and audiobook, too. The paperback should be up on pre-order by the end of the month. Audible will be releasing the audiobook sometime in Nov/Dec (I think). Hope that helps! xx(less)

Start your review of A Convenient Fiction (Parish Orphans of Devon, #3)
Sarah Monzon
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved every minute of this book. Mimi Matthews is quickly becoming one of my absolute favorite romance authors. Characters that don’t hide behind vulnerability but communicate. Delicious, swoon worthy dialogue. Heroes who are strong, protective, and simply put, just make you fall in love with them.
I’d looked forward to reading this installment after reading the first two books and I have to say, this one might be my favorite. The chemistry between the characters was undeniable and even though
Courtney Clark
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Update: Listening to the audiobook this time was a delight! I just love this cast of characters.

Every book Mimi Matthews writes has a Midas-like touch of Victorian perfection. Exquisite historical detail, endearing and layered characters, the perfect touches of humor, and swoon-worthy romances — sometimes began in surprising ways — all combine in her novels for an immersive and simply DELIGHTFUL reading experience.

A Convenient Fiction is at once a whimsical and sensible romance, pairing two comp
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, favorites
After the death of her father, Laura has served as head of the family and kept them afloat through careful planning and sheer determination. Now that her brother is about to turn 21, and legally able to take charge of the family's former business things should be taking a turn for the better. But when legal troubles prevent this from this from going through, Laura must look for an alternative if she hopes to keep her family from destitution. The altenative available to her? Marriage.

Alex Archer
Karen
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 STARS

"No mistakes are irreversible."

Loved it! Just as I have loved every book in this series so far. It seems I just can't get enough of Mimi Matthews. And I have to say I am quite intrigued by the next book. I'm wondering just how she's going to pull it off.

These four orphan boys are proving to be such dashing young men. It appears that nothing feeds the soul quite like hard times and hopeless beginnings. Children though have a way of seeing through their bad fortune and finding
Rachel McMillan
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A sumptuous and instantly readable addition to what has become one of my favourite series as two people highly wary of attachment and love find in each other the match they need. Brimming with intelligence and pitch-perfect dialogue, Alex Archer’s troubled past intersects his promising present with the alluring and independent Laura. Matthews fills her characters and setting with painstaking historical detail, personality and warmth. Characters familiar to readers of previous instalments play ge ...more
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
4.5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
I loved this third installment in the series and I couldn’t wait to see what Alex was like. Yummy, he was yummy.
These two MC were so sweet together. So romantic and fun. I absolutely loved their time in France.
I don’t know what I’ll do if M Matthews ever stops writing. I love her stories so much.
Happy Reading ♥️
Luli
Puedes encontrar esta reseña en español al final.

I have no idea how to start this review. Everything I write sounds boring, pretentious or convoluted. The opposite of this story. I don't know where to start, really ...

In little less than a year this author has become one of my favorites. Her prose is attractive, her characters complex, the plot interesting and the historical background impressively realistic. Historical accuracy is one of her strengths.

This time it was the turn of Alex, the thir
OLT
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This is #3 in Matthews' Parish Orphans of Devon series. The previous two, THE MATRIMONIAL ADVERTISEMENT and A MODEST INDEPENDENCE, featured Justin Thornhill and Tom Finchley, respectively, and this third one has as its MC Alex Archer. These three men, plus Neville Cross, whose story is still to come, shared a childhood friendship as orphans at Abbot's Holcombe in North Devon. All but Alex have stayed in touch, but Alex disappeared years ago never to be seen or heard from again. He's the mystery ...more
Bon
Thanks to Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for reviewing!

Mimi has done it again. I think this is my favorite of the orphan series so far, and it has everything. Daring rescues, references to Victorian beauty routines, extensive seaside information and even swimming. In the Victorian era! It was so good.

Laura, our lady protagonist, is stubborn, resilient, crafty with money, and stressed out of her mind trying to keep a roof over the family's head. In other words, relatable as heck, and exerting
Amy Bruno
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I had to plan a perfect evening, it would be settling into bed with comfy pajamas, a super soft blanket, a glass of wine and a Mimi Matthews book. And for the past few nights I've been living the dream!

In A Convenient Fiction, we meet Laura Hayes who is living with her disabled brother and Aunt after her father's passing. Her mother died when she was young so it's up to Laura to take care of them all. But when their family money is threatened to be taken away she must find a way to stop that
Lu
A betrayer(of friends), a blackmailer and a fortune hunter but much more than that!

I wish Mimi could write ten books a year!
Alex Archer is a villain. He betrayed his friends, he blackmailed a young weak man, he pursued a country Miss just for her money. He meets Laura when he jumps into the pond to “rescue” her from drowning, but she did not need any rescue.
Laura is entrancing but poor and he is enchanted but cannot loose view of his goal. He needs to get a estate in the country to call his own
The Lit Bitch
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh Mimi Matthews, you have my heart when it comes to historical romances. I absolutely love all of her books and I can’t rave about them enough.

I have been eager to read this latest installment of her Parish Orphans of Devon series for the last few weeks and finally cracked it open and as predicted, I read it in like one sitting.

I was most eager to read Alex’s story and see how his romance evolved. In the other books he is the most mysterious and I love a mysterious rogue. So yes to say this boo
Dana Michael
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This author knows how to write romance. She just does. She gets it. I want a clean romance that has me swooning because of the manly hero. That has a heroine who I would want to be best friends with. That has a page turning story line with a happily ever after. This book has all of that. Well done Ms. Matthews! My only complaint is I'm going to have to wait until February to read the next book in the series.
*I was given a copy of this book by the author and this is my honest opinion.
Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie*
Whenever, I pick up a book by Mimi Matthews, it’s always a treat to read. Her stories are beautifully written and wonderfully romantic, with characters that capture your heart. They are impeccably researched with lots of fascinating historical details, and she captures the Victorian era to perfection.

A Convenient Fiction is the third book in the Parish Orphans of Devon series and, although it can be read as standalone, I think it enhances the reading experience if the series is read in order.
Melissa
Well that was awesome. I was so hoping Alex's story would be a good one! And it was! All of the books in this series have been different and good. I have enjoyed them. This one was fun from the very start. The dark brooding hero is so fun to read and Mathews does a good job of it. Now I just need Nevils story and it will be complete:}
Elodie
Release date 10/22/2019
Publisher Perfectly Proper Press

Blurb:

She Needed A Husband...

It's been three years since Laura Hayes's father died, leaving her and her invalid brother to subsist on the income from the family's failing perfume business. But time is swiftly running out. What she needs is a husband, and fast. A noble gentleman who can rescue them all from penury. When a mysterious st
Toni Shiloh
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Matthews has a way of bringing history to life. Of placing the reader right smack dab in the middle of the action, quickly establishing the heroine and hero and letting you pick which one to route for. Now I must admit, I’ve been wanting Alex’s story since I read book one (which is totally swoon worthy).

And he didn’t disappoint. There were a few times in his scenes that I wanted to tear up or just plain ol give him a hug. I’m so glad he was able to meet a deserving heroine.

And Laura Hayes, w
♥Sharon♥
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing

"I wonder if there is such a thing as fate. Some force that drew me to you, across continents, and across the sea. I think I knew you the moment I laid eyes on you. My love. My Laura. "

Another fabulous edition to this Parish Orphans of Devon series. I have thoroughly enjoyed each and every one of them. These men Justin, Tom, Alex and Neville have a strong bond that no one could break. Tethered together in a way that no matter how much time spent apart they would always find a way back to
Gretchen
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved every moment of this book. I was intrigued with the mystery surrounding Alex’s character since the first book in the series. I enjoyed seeing him evolve from fortune hunter to hero. There were a lot of fascinating topics & characters in this novel- I enjoyed learning about Victorian bathing machines & social bathing rules. I also purely enjoyed the story’s plot & aspects like Laura having a handicapped brother, perfuming being the family business, etc.

I loved the heroine Laura & her lov
Frankie (Chicks, Rogues and Scandals)
It has taken me an age to write this review, as there are so many things that I want to say about this, yet every word I write seems a little redundant and doesn’t do this stunning book justice. I have written and deleted and banged my head on the desk in frustration because I can’t begin to describe just how beautiful this book is.
This is the third book in the Parish Orphan’s of Devon series and by Jove, have I been looking forward to this book. Each of these beautiful books can be read very ea
eyes.2c
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the opening. Loved Alex referring to Laura as looking like some sort of demented Ophelia. Ha!
Tamara
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was excellent! I loved Laura and Alex's story as I have been curious about this mysterious Alex Archer who has been mentioned in the two previous books of this series, and finally, I got to meet him! What could I say that hasn't already been said? I thought ( and think) Alex Archer was my favorite of the four men, but I realized I need to wait until Neville Cross has his say, so until then Alex is my favourite of this series!
Caz
I've given this a B for narration and a C+ for content at AudioGals, which puts this between 3.5 and 4 stars, so I've rounded up.

A Convenient Fiction is book three in Mimi Matthews’ Parish Orphans of Devon series, and the first of the set I’ve listened to (I read the first book, The Matrimonial Advertisement), and I confess I picked it up for review principally because Alex Wyndham is the narrator (the earlier books in the series were narrated by someone I don’t care to listen to). The autho
Rachel
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mimi Matthews might be my favorite historical romance author. Her settings are so thoroughly and deftly rendered, so immersive-- and she treats her characters with such care. This book is dense with interpersonal and individual nuance, as well as several enjoyable changes of scenery, and the reader is sold on the eventual romance basically from the first pages. I have loved every book in this series so far-- this might be my favorite-- but I can't wait to return to the seaside cliffs of Devon fo ...more
Marguerite Gray
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story of forgiveness.
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I Love It All!!

I just cannot get enough of this band of brothers, these orphan boys who survived the worst and are rising above the hell they started life in. This author is expert at giving me a balance of darkness and light, struggle and reprieve. The characters draw me in and make me love them. I feel so attached to them! I love the authors attention to detail, especially in the historical sense. It all just comes together so wonderfully. I love it.

I love Alex and Laura- separately and toget
Piper
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
AlI1pt.jpg

“I want it all. A home, a family, the perfumery, and the sea. And I want it with you, Alex. I want it all with you.”

This grin may never leave my face. I loved this sweet, romantic story from beginning to end. It was indeed a lovely third installment to the Parish Orphans of Devon series. I dare say I don’t want this series to end. Alex Archer and Laura Hayes we’re destined to find each other and although I’ve said it many times before.... Alex Wyndham‘s narration was brilliant.
Ronie
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this installment in the Parish Orphans. I was smitten with Alex after the first few chapters, and I loved his story and journey with Laura.
Jayne Fresina
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Mimi's work and this has to be my favourite so far. Her characters are multi-dimensional, truly likeable, memorable, and have great chemistry. Dropped into situations that don't feel forced or unlikely, you can't help but cheer for them to get their happy ending. Of course, I adore the Victorian era and Mimi writes it like no one else, with perfect little details that put the reader right back in time. For those of you wondering why I always give Mimi 5-stars, read her books and then you' ...more
Jocelyn Green
Another engaging story in a highly-addictive series! I loved Laura's family dynamics in this one, and I always love redemption stories, so I was delighted with how Alex Archer's tale unfolded. Looking forward to reading Neville's book next!
Play Book Tag: A Convenient Fiction - Matthews - 3 stars 1 7 Jan 18, 2020 03:17PM

• The Jewels of Halstead Manor (Ladies of Devon #1)
  • The Snowdrop
  • Letters for Phoebe (Promise of Forever After #1)
  • Engaging Sir Isaac (Inglewood #4)
  • Reforming Lord Neil (Inglewood #5)
  • The Orphan (Silver Linings Mysteries, #5)
  • The Lost Lieutenant (Serendipity & Secrets, #1)
  • Romancing Her Rival (Promise of Forever After #2)
  • The Duke (Silver Linings Mysteries, #6)
  • The Last Eligible Bachelor  (Seasons of Change Book, #3)
  • The Painter (Silver Linings Mysteries, #4)
  • The Road Through Rushbury (Seasons of Change, #1)
  • The Lacemaker (Silver Linings Mysteries #2)
  • A Forgiving Heart (Seasons of Change #2)
  • The Solicitor's Son (Serendipity #3)
  • The Apothecary (Silver Linings Mysteries, #3)
  • True of Heart (Regency Shakespeare Book 3)
  • Fall from Trace (London League #5)
USA Today bestselling author Mimi Matthews writes both historical nonfiction and award-winning proper Victorian romances. Her novels have received starred reviews from Library Journal, Publishers Weekly, and Kirkus, and her articles have been featured on the Victorian Web, the Journal of Victorian Culture, and in syndication at BUST Magazine. In her other life, Mimi is an attorney. She resides in ...more

Parish Orphans of Devon (4 books)
  • The Matrimonial Advertisement (Parish Orphans of Devon, #1)
  • A Modest Independence (Parish Orphans of Devon, #2)
  • The Winter Companion (Parish Orphans of Devon, #4)