Start by marking “Open House (Uptown, #2)” as Want to Read:
Open House (Uptown, #2)

Open House

(Uptown #2)

Love can take root where you least expect it.

Tyson Yang never imagined that one day he’d be the de facto spokesperson for an illegal community garden. But when the once-rat-infested-but-now-thriving Harlem lot goes up for sale, Ty can’t just let all their hard work get plowed under.

Even if he is irresistibly drawn to the lovely but infuriatingly stubborn real estate
Published November 11th 2019 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Open House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Open House

Start your review of Open House (Uptown, #2)
Katie B
This is the 2nd book in the Uptown series but it can easily be read as a standalone novel. This is a cute romance with the story revolving around a community garden. I definitely enjoyed the book but it's not the type of story that is memorable. Basically if you are the type of reader who is always reading a romance novel, this is a safe choice. However, if you only occasionally read something in the genre, I think there are better ones out there for you to pick from.

Space is a valuable
Yna the Mood Reader
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
“We started off on the wrong foot and ended on another wrong foot.”

“But in the middle, did you dance?”

Series: Yes, but it can be read as a standalone.
Genre: Contemporary romance.
POV: Alternating third person.
Cliffhanger: No.

Content Warnings: Death of a loved one due to cancer.
Read if: you are looking for a quick read with touches of gentrification and renovation themes.

Here's another quick reading contemporary romance! Magda is struggling with being independent, making better life
Emma
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the second story in the Uptown companion series, so you can totally read this as a standalone and totally get what is going on.
I appreciate the fact that Ruby Lang tried to give readers something new, a community garden and real estate business are not what you usually find in romance books, it was a nice change.
The chemistry between Ty and Magda worked and it was well developed even though this book is actually a novella.
If you're looking for a quick and cute romance, you might want
K.J. Charles
A very warm, loving community-based romance, which is something I find endlessly comforting. Tyson is doing the classic romance hero 'I have lost too much and cannot bear to lose again' only unlike 90% of those heroes he isn't a dick about it. He's bereaved, scared and traumatised, and is in fact finding companionship and solace in helping out with the old ladies of the community garden, he just doesn't want to admit it. Magda is broke and focused on dealing with her debts after a series of ...more
Jen Ryland
Cute! An issue-driven romance with a lot of heart. Loved the NY setting and that things like gentrification, student debt, etc were well woven into the story!

Magda is trying to sell her (difficult!) uncle's town house and the nearby empty lot. She really needs the commission, as she's drowning in student debt and wants to get back on her feet.

That empty lot is really important to Tyson - it's a community garden that brings his neighbors together.

The enemies to lovers theme was fun and readers
Jess
I've been in a weird reading mood and that's not the fault of this book, but it did influence my reading experience. I really expected to love this based on opinions I saw online and I did like it, but I never quite got to more than that. Hopefully I can read the next one with a clearer mind.
Nursebookie
This is such a wonderful contemporary romance with a great HEA that you will crave for.

Magda Ferrer’s career path has been one failure after another with a surmounting school loans. Now, Magda is focused on becoming a realtor and determined to succeed. Her goal is to sell the properties her broker trusted her with, and an uncle giving her a chance. Magda learns quickly that selling a property involves much more than just getting an offer from a buyer - it involves some complications like
Amy Lea
This enemies to lovers centres around Magda and Tyson who are at odds over the sale of a community garden. Technically, it’s the second in a series, but it can act as a stand-alone. I really enjoyed the premise of a community garden. It was very unique.

I’m not huge on the third person POV for enemies to lovers romances, particularly because I’m always looking to get inside the character’s head. But that’s just my personal preference! The relationship between the love interests is a little
Steph's Romance Book Talk
3.5 Stars / 2 Steam Fans

Sadly, this story fell a bit flat for me. I was looking for a cute, funny, and sweet romance; however, what I got was more like a women's fiction novella. Magda is drowning in debt, floundering with the direction of her life, and currently trying to sale her uncle's "historical" brownstone. While dealing with the push back from her uncle to sale; Magda's employer assigns her another lot to sell in the area. Magda visits this lot to find that the community has cleaned up
aarya
B+ review: https://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/r...

Disclaimer: I received a free e-ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
tara
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-2019
3.5

Magda, on unsure career footing is currently working in real estate. We find her selling two properties in Harlem, NY! One of these properties belongs to a widowed family member and the other is a vacant lot turned community garden. This garden is currently occupied by some oldies with their green thumbs... and the absolutely gorgeous, sweetheart, accountant Tyson. He moonlights at the garden in his free time, shovelling dirt, being eye candy. And.... Magda is supposed to sell the place out
Sasha
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: wndb, 2019
This short but sweet little romance was chock-full of life, love, and... conflict? Definitely a win on the enemies-to-lovers trope. Looking forward to Book #3 in the Uptown Series, due out 2/20/2020!!
G.L. Tomas
I really don't want to rate this, but I feel like as a reader who identifies racially as one of the characters, I just want to be honest and hope this doesn't happen again with readers and writers who don't know.

I love this author, which is why I was excited about this book. I always enjoy Asian male leading men, and with a brown chick on the cover, I was a little scared but ultimately discovered my fears were valid.

The book itself is cute. Pacing felt right, chemistry wasn't golden, but I liked
Crystal
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I requested Open House from #NetGalley on a whim. The cover was cute, and there were clearly diverse characters. Plus, the plot sounded fun. I had not read the previous book in the series, or anything else by Ruby Lang, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Little did I know that Open Season would end up being one of my favorite romances I've read this year.

I think what I love most about Open Season is how REAL it feels. Like I can almost smell the flowers in the garden. See the butterflies. Taste
Eliza E
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can’t remember why I pre-ordered this. Now that I’ve read it, I suspect I was looking for recommendations for romances featuring open-hearted, generous, emotionally stable heros. Small ask that, right? Most romance heros are total dickwads. Sure, they are often redeemed through the love of some nearly-perfect spitfire, but that wish fulfillment fantasy got a bit stale. In my oldish young years, I want to fantasize about a dude I don’t have to fix. Okay? Okay.

In that respect, this little gem
Divena
Why I am choosing so many disappointing romances lately? This story first off was so boring. I read a good romance over the course of about 2 days. This one was short and still a struggle. Magda mostly whined about her student loan debt. I didn't even get that because people live with student loan debt all the time and just go on. It's usually not crippling to anyone. If doesn't prevent you from living your best life. Just make your monthly payment and keep it trucking!

The sex scene was so dry!
Sharon
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author's CWs of cancer, difficult family relationships, microaggressions. I add loss of family member/spouse/parent

I loved this contemporary, enemies to lovers romance by Ruby Lang. Magda is trying to be independent, struggling with life choices and feelings of inadequacies, a job that seems to be working out and older sisters who still try to mother her and do not listen. Ty is hovering somewhere between trying to not make connections because he's afraid of more loss in his life and his
Nicole Field
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I think I have gone and found myself a new favourite author!

Like others who have read this one, I didn't realise before picking it up that it was the second in the series. However, I don't know that it even references the characters from the previous book, and no other book is needed to understand what's going on here.

Magda is just trying to prove herself as something other than the youngest and the stuff up in her family. The way she's doing that right now is through her job in real estate.
b.andherbooks
Magda thinks she's finally found the perfect job, but is struggling to keep her head above water and her student debt while also trying to sell her grumpy Uncle's Harlem townhouse and the vacant lot next door which isn't quite so vacant. She's also beginning to have feelings for the handsome Tyson Yang even though he's actively working to prevent her from selling the property to anyone but his community garden friends.

Two people who are chafing at their respective circumstances find out they may
Pelusa Rivera
So what I liked about this book was that the story was a little different, I don't recall ever reading about a community garden so kudos to the author.. That being said I felt like I wanted more, I wanted more connection and I didn't feel like we got that, maybe it is that I started with this one and this is the second book in the series but it wasn't that I was lost because you can read it as a standalone but I just wanted more. I like the enemies to lover trope but again needed a little more ...more
Emmalita
Ruby Lang is one of my favorite author finds this year. I like the way she writes and the worlds and characters she creates. Her writing has a wry wit and a spare, natural style. Her characters interact like normal human beings. Side note: Lang’s story follows a Millennial man and woman, of Asian American and Afro-Latina descent. I, as a Gen X white woman, am absolutely unqualified to judge the quality of representation, I can only say that to me, they are relatable characters.

This isn’t really
Amber Garabrandt
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Magda Ferrer has started a new career.... again. She's a real estate broker. Drowning in debt thanks to student loans from past career paths that tanked, she has to make this work. It's hard to believe in herself, though, when her family doesn't even think this one's going to work out. Uncle Byron has helped out... in a way... by allowing her to take over the listing of his house. The issue is, with all the renovations he's doing and the fact that no offer is ever good enough... well, the house ...more
Smut Report
Heat Factor: Holy awkward phone sex, batman!
Character Chemistry: That thing where he teaches her to have better self-esteem
Plot: Gentrification in Harlem makes our relationship complicated
Overall: This is mostly a sweet little novella, but I HATED their dynamic

Let’s talk about our heroine, Magda Ferrer. She has a serious case of being hard on herself.
1. She has debt, so she must be a garbage person!
2. She dropped out of a graduate program and also culinary school, so she must be a hot mess!
Laurie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Ruby Lang's "Open House" was a short, sweet, cute, and funny story. While it is technically the second book in Ms. Lang's Uptown series, it is a complete standalone, and it is not necessary to have read the first book to understand the events of this one.

I read and (mostly) enjoyed the first book in this series ("Playing House"), but I actually liked this one better because the characters seemed to be better developed, and the growth of the romantic relationship between main characters Magda
Whitney
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a free eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I thought that Open House was an extremely cute and steamy read. I straddled the fence on how I felt about it overall though. The meet cute between the two characters was just as cute as you would hope and the steamy bits were....whew. Yes! They were just as hot as I had hoped (and been promised) without them feeling too trashy or degrading, which can happen sometimes with novellas and sex
Amy
I was granted this ARC from Net Galley for an honest review.

I didn't realize this was the second book in the Uptown series by Ruby Lang. It reads as a standalone, so I don't see the need to read the first one if you haven't. We have Magda Ferrer and Tyson Yang, our two protagonists. Magda is up and coming real estate agent, and Tyson is a CPA who helps out at this community garden. They meet when Magda shows up to look at the garden as she has been in charge to selling it for her real estate
Jackie
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
ARC courtesy of Netgalley.

In multiculturally-gentrifying Harlem, two people looking for a fresh start clash over their differing goals for a community garden.

Changes of mind, sisterly condescension, and money difficulties have led 29-year-old Magda Ferrer, the youngest in here Afro-Latina family, to shift her career goals yet again. Dropping out of culinary school because she can't put off repaying her undergrad student loans any longer, Magda's poised to give selling real estate estate a try.
Sherry
***I received an e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley, Ruby Lang and Carina Press.***

Open House, by Ruby Lang, is a charming, nemeses-to-lovers story. Magda is trying to turn her life around. She’s working as a real estate agent and buried under a mountain of student debt. Her boss assigns her the sale of a vacant lot that the surrounding neighbourhood is using as a community garden. There she meets Ty, the garden’s unofficial spokesperson. Ty hasn’t
Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 3.5 Stars

Magda was determined to make a sale and get out from under her student debt, and therefore, was excited to have the opportunity to sell a desirable lot. When she went to view the property, she discovered it was being used as a community garden. As if that was not enough to leave her conflicted about the sale, she also found she was attracted to one of the gardeners, Tyson. Could a love match survive, while they are on opposing sides?

This was my second Ruby Lang book, and I have
Didi
3.5 Stars

This series grew on me with this second installment featuring the battle between nemesis Tyson Yang and Magda Ferrer.

OPEN HOUSE is a meshed of complicated feelings. The alternate voice between Magda and Tyler clued readers in on their personal turmoil and restlessness (which corresponded to to what I felt IRL at times, that made both characters as real as it gets). It’s easy to understand their reluctant attraction that warred with the opposing intentions (which often causing
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Match Made for Thanksgiving (Holidays with the Wongs, #1)
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Not the Girl You Marry
  • Tweet Cute
  • Lush Money (Filthy Rich #1)
  • The Write Escape
  • Tiny House, Big Love (Love Unscripted Book 2)
  • Xeni (Loose Ends #2)
  • Love Her or Lose Her (Hot & Hammered, #2)
  • Teach Me (There's Something About Marysburg, #1)
  • Would Like to Meet
  • American Love Story (Dreamers, #3)
  • If I Never Met You
  • One Christmas Eve (Cedar Street, #2)
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • Prose Before Bros (Green Valley Library, #3)
  • My Bare Lady (Scorned Women's Society, #1)
  • We Met in December
Ruby Lang is pint-sized, prim, and bespectacled. Her alter ego, essayist Mindy Hung, has written for The New York Times, The Toast, and Salon, among others. She enjoys running (slowly), reading (quickly), and ice cream (at any speed). She lives in New York with a small child and a medium-sized husband.

Uptown (3 books)
  • Playing House (Uptown, #1)
  • House Rules (Uptown, #3
“It was the opinion of many in the garden that Mrs. Hadley spoiled those plants, although how anyone could spoil a plant was a question that he had not yet had the courage to pose to the ladies of 136th Street Community Garden.” 0 likes
“It’s okay,” Ty said. “It really should be certified public asshole. Besides, she’s called me worse.” 0 likes