Start by marking “The Case of the Damaged Detective (5-Minute Sherlock, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Damaged Detective (5-Minute Sherlock, #1)

The Case of the Damaged Detective

(5-Minute Sherlock #1)

Length: 9 hr 13 min

A MYSTERY/ROAD TRIP/BUDDY COMEDY/ACTION ADVENTURE FROM THE AUTHOR OF 'SECOND HAND CURSES.'

A dance club full of bodies. Cause of death - a mystery. The lone survivor - a man, raving like a lunatic, wearing only a deerstalker hat.

Now, the man who calls himself Sherman Holmes is being studied like a lab rat by a top-secret government agency. How is it he ca
Audible Audio, Original recording Audiobook, 300 pages
Published June 13th 2019 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Damaged Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Damaged Detective

Soo
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, reviewed
Mini-Review:

4 Stars for Narration by Scott Aiello
3.5 Stars for Story
4 Stars for Characters

Solid start for a new series. The only downside was that I felt like I read a teaser. It's just enough to get you into the story but not enough to make you feel satisfied. I look forward to the next book.
Jean
First the Blues Brothers remake cover is an insult . Readable but suspension of disbelief gets seriously dislocated.

Drew Hayes is a better author than this. Some of his books are really excellent ( Pears and Perils). He writes a number of different tropes so he does not get stale. But this book was written in a hurry without adequate feedback. You would wish he could listen to people who would say comedy can become stretched beyond humor. Comedy is a careful blend of reality and absurd, not just
Liana
Jun 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
I love Drew Hayes, but this boook was unfortunate. The writing was extraordinarily pedestrian, the characters uninteresting and irritating, and the story appearing to be a simple money-making, poorly thought-out venture on a popular and overly saturated genre.
Roddy Pimentel
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Another great series, based on Holmes property that I look forward to reading. Drew Hayes uses his witty banter to give an excellent buddy cop portrayal with much more fun to come.
Greg
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fun, fun novel from Audible! Narrator Scott Aiello does a wonderful job of bringing Sherman Holmes and Joel Watson to hilarious life! Light and breezy, with dashes of emotional depth, it's a delightful road trip of a story that made me laugh out loud at times. I'm soooo glad I gave a listen!
Michael Wellman
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the forest I have read by this author and I have to say I was worried when the Sherlock stuff started but I like where it went. It is at times a little predictable, after all these things are set to something of a formula, but it's of the tails for anything like a Holmes story aside from the fantastic. The overall plot is good, some answers are given more questions raised and in the end I felt satisfied with the end of this book in the series.

I like long series but don't like
Dave Stone
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
a little more interesting than fun
I'm a huge fan of Drew Hayes, so I snapped this up as soon as I saw it. I love Drew for his quirky empathetic under dog characters and situations that don't absolutely require violence as the only solution. In a Drew Hayes book the hero is not the character with the biggest gun and first to shoot, but the person who assess the situation first to see if any shooting is even necessary.
The Damaged Detective meets all the criteria: quirky main character who sees t
Gareth Otton
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-read
This book may be a little underdeveloped by Mr Hayes' usual standard, but I had a lot of fun with this audiobook. I think the premise of a Sherlock Holmes style character who can only trust his mind for 5-minute intervals is interesting. By far the most interesting aspect of that, however, is by paring that person up with a highly competent secret agent who also can't trust his mind for various reasons. I thought the flaws of the two characters played off each other really well.

As I already men
Carl Rodakowski
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
What a fun book, interesting characters and a mystery to boot. I really enjoy the story and looked forward to hearing what befell the stories main protagonists.

I think what I enjoyed the most was the humor. It wasn't laugh out loud nor was a dull. It was inventive and ... relaxing ... I was able to just let what was happening wash over me as things unfolded.

I'm looking forward to the next book. The way the author used this book to introduce the characters really was a good way to head off into a
Uluwehi Hopkins
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s kind of like Austin Powers meets Mission Impossible with a whole bunch of Sherlock Holmes fandom to pull it all together. If you’re looking for a Holmes-like detective novel, this is not it. But it is funny, even endearing, action-packed, and completely unexpected. I listened all the way through because I really just wanted to find out what Sherman would do next. It’s an entertaining journey.
Bram
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've put this one during a long road trip, to make the time pass faster without being too complex it would require all my attention, and it was perfect for it.

The characters are great, both the main and the side characters. The action felt good and the whole story flowed nicely, working up to a satisfying climax.

Narration was spot-on, but it did tend to get quieter at times, when specific characters spoke. All-in-all, a great read, highly recommended.
Rob Cook
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We listened to the audio book on a vacation car drive and it was totally entertaining to the whole family. We liked Drew Hayes Fred the Vampire Accountant books but the short story format got a bit tired for me. This book felt like what I wanted from some of the Fred books. A longer story with some slightly off characters.

I hope it becomes a series as it certainly seemed to be setup that way.
Melanie
Jul 21, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF. Don't tell my brother but I can't finish this. It was his recommendation for me. The other was the Bob series which was amazing andI usually like stories with Sherlock Holmes and Watson but can't seem to like either one in this. Erik if you are reading this let me know if you really liked this book and I may try again. As of now it's on the possible return list.
Mieke Van Immerseel
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT!! Really funny book. Seeing as I have always been a fan of Sherlock Holmes, this was a fun way to give the all-knowing and detail-deducing detective a new twist. I hav ebeen a fan of Drew Hayes for a while now and he has succeeded to make me laugh at east 15 times with each book that I've read.
Adrienne
I generally like the author;s work. It wasn't terrible, but I think it would be half as long if you took out the internal monologues of every character thinking about how extremely talented they themselves are, and how highly skilled the opposition must be, in every single scene.
Steph
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to
3.5 stars because I enjoyed the ending. It took my a lot longer to get into this than most of Drew’s books. I still enjoyed it and will read/listen to the rest, but I’m much more looking forward to more Swords Spells & Stealth and the next Villains code.
Jd
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this author. I think this was a unique take on a modern day Sherlock Holmes story. It isn't the best thing he's ever written but he normally takes a little bit longer to develop his characters and story and so I'll allow that a shorter version was pretty good.
Matthew J
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As Holmes(es?) go Sherman is both the least competent and most entertaining.
Elise
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A breezy story about lovable weirdos makes for perfect summer reading.
Dolizoss
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy, fantasy, modern, sci-fi
3.5 as per usual Drew Hayes delivers fun romp through some familiar and we'll beloved tropes.
It might not be as good as some of his other books, it's still great fun without a fail.
Heather
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quirky and fun! This was an interesting take on the Sherlock Holmes mythos.
Aneil
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A darn good adventure from beginning to end. Well-developed characters, a decent plot, and a good set up for a series. What's more to ask for?
Bonhomous
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hope there's more to come. I do enjoy reading Drew Hayes works.
Galen
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Entertaining and whimsical story, but it's lacking real depth. The audio performance is done well.
Foxxy
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable light Audible Original. I'll be curious to see where it goes when the next one comes out.
Carla Enright
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some silly, playful, Drew Hayes fun.
Josh