Start by marking “Voodoo Planet / Star Hunter” as Want to Read:
Voodoo Planet / Star Hunter

Read Book* *Different edition

Voodoo Planet / Star Hunter

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  204 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Great Sci Fi novel! Andrew North was a pen name of Andre Alice Norton (born Alice Mary Norton). She received the Gandalf Grand Master Award from the World Science Fiction Society, and the Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award from the SFWA.
Published June 1st 1979 by Gregg Press (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Voodoo Planet / Star Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voodoo Planet / Star Hunter

Sibylle
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I used to really like andre Norton - when I was in 6th grade. My first science fiction book ever was "Galactic Derelict", by Norton, and I"ve been hooked ever since.
However, my reading tastes have changed over the decades, and this book is quite dated. I read the first story, 'Star Hunter', and found it so poor that I did not read the second, Voodoo Planet.
Maybe her more recent books are better?
Jeff Dickison
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Two Norton science fiction books in one package should really get a 3.5 star rating; 4 for Star Hunter & 3 for Voodoo Planet. In Star Hunter young man is mind-melded to help a gangster run a scam, but of course things don't work out right. Voodoo Planet could have been written by Edgar Rice Burroughs for a space travelin' Tarzan. Really voodoo planet is rather juvenile. But if you like science fiction and Andre Norton I would pick this one up.
Sandy
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book collects two of Andre Norton's novellas in one package. Both have to do with planets where safaris are conducted for the pleasure of wealthy offworlders, and both leave the reader wanting more in terms of either explanation or detail.

The first, "Star Hunter" (1961), is the better of the two. In this one, the safari leader on the planet Jumala has cooked up a scheme whereby he can exact revenge on the space syndicate that has done him dirty. His scheme involves planting a young man on t
Amanda
May 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Recently I'm buying and reading all the Andre Norton space books written from the 50s to the 70s that I have not read before. They are all written up to her high standards but man, are they stereotypical of their time. All the men are men, the women are non-existent(except as weak side-kicks), and the aliens are nervous. Just kidding. Only not really. I grew up on Andre Norton's Witch World novels and these Solar Queen novels and Voodoo Planet (where the voodoo is never satisfactorily explained) ...more
Sandra Munger
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-norton
2 stories. Voodoo Planet involves the Traders series. While waiting for another ship to show up, 3 members of the crew are invited to a planet that makes a living by running hunting tours. There is a problem with a medicine man who is causing an uproar. The crews helps defeat him. Star Hunter involves a man who can no longer pilot a spaceship because of an injury. He works as a guide for the Hunters guild. He comes up with a plan to trap a criminal. The unwitting person he chooses does not react ...more
Doris
This one I have read multiple times.

Two entertaining novellas.

The first, Voodoo Planet stars a young man named Dane Thorson, who is trying to escape into space, and has to settle for a berth on a Free Trader ship, the "Solar Queen." They are heading for a rim planet, hoping to make money and not limp home a failure. They get entangled in a native's bid for power, and the greed of some nearly undo all.

The second, Star Hunter, tells of two men who are working together in search of knowledge about
Valerie
I'm not reading Star Hunter. I don't think I ever have, but I'm not doing so now, anyway. Voodoo Planet, on the other hand, is the third story in the Solar Queen Series, sandwiched between Plague Ship and Postmarked The Stars. It's not particularly characteristic of the series, but more like Android at Arms and Dread Companion.
Jim Mcclanahan
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jim by: jrmccl@sbcglobal.net
Skipped Star Hunter as I wanted to read Voodoo Planet. As a sequel to Sargasso of Space and Plague Ship I thought it might be fun. But it was mildly disappointing. Characters were woefully two dimensional and, even for the 1950s, there was more ethnocentrism than I could enjoy. Oh, well At least it was short.

Charles
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Two novellas published together.
Shannon McDermott
Jay
Feb 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Lion Game
  • Hunting the Corrigan's Blood (Cadence Drake, #1)
  • Star Surgeon
  • Wolfling
  • The Gray Prince
  • Farthest Star
  • Mars Evacuees (Mars Evacuees #1)
  • The World Wreckers (Darkover, #22)
  • The Man with a Thousand Names
  • The Galaxy Primes
  • Dirge (Founding of the Commonwealth, #2)
  • Hunter of Worlds (Hanan Rebellion #2)
  • The Kindly Ones
  • Second Star (Star Svensdotter, #1)
  • The Red Hawk (Moon Trilogy #3)
  • Doctor Who and the Armageddon Factor
  • Misfortune
  • Tambu
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. She also used the names Andrew North and Allen ...more
More about Andre Norton