Start by marking “The Best Friend (Broden Legal, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Best Friend (Broden Legal, #3)

The Best Friend

(Broden Legal #3)

The Amazon Charts bestselling series.

From the author of Dead Certain comes a twisting novel of friendship, love, and marriageand all their cunning and deadly betrayals.

Back in 1986, Clint Broden was a novice New York defense attorney building a family with his wife, Anne, and impatient for his career to take off. Thats when his defense of his closest friend, Nick

Kindle Edition, 1st edition
Expected publication: April 14th 2020 by Thomas & Mercer

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Best Friend by Adam Mitzner
    The Best Friend (Broden Legal, #3)
    Release date: Apr 14, 2020
    The Amazon Charts bestselling series.

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 988 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 14 - Apr 13, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Best Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Friend

Start your review of The Best Friend (Broden Legal, #3)
    Donna
    The Best Friend by Adam Mitzner is one of the best courtroom dramas I've read in some time. I should be sorry that I wasn't familiar with Mitzner's writing before now but I'm not, because now there are all of his other books to look forward to!

The story is broken down into four parts and is narrated by three different characters, attorney Clint Broden, his wife Anne, and his best friend Nick Zamora.

Part 1 begins in 1986, when Nick is accused of a serious crime. Clint defends his friend in
    Monnie
    Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Wow. Just wow. Not that I'm terribly surprised, mind you - I've read two other books by this author (although not in this series) and loved them both - but this one pretty much blew me away.

In 1986, struggling defense attorney Clint Broden lands an unexpected client: His best friend, Nick Zamora, who's been charged with the murder of his new wife Carolyn, a successful attorney in her own right. Nick, an aspiring writer, insists he's innocent; out of loyalty if nothing else, Clint agrees to serve
    Bob
    Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    The Best Friend Is Mitzners Best Book Yet!

Having read all seven of this authors previous books I was very pleased to be given an advance copy of The Best Friend (the third book in the Broden Legal series) by NetGalley and the publisher to read.

For quite some time now Adam Mitzner has been on my list of my "don't miss" authors -- meaning that if he wrote it, I'll be rushing to read it but with The Best Friend hes risen to near the pinnacle of this list. This is because The Best Friend
    Irene
    Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    The Best Friend by Adam Mitzner. A story of deaths, the trials and tribulations of long term relationships and ultimately a love story with a unique twist. Reliable characters, realistic interaction between the characters and tense courtroom drama make this one of the best legal thrillers that I have read in a quite some time. Will be looking for Mr. Mitzner's backlist and future books.

Thank you to the publisher, author, and NetGalley for the opportunity to preview the book.
    Jane
    Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
    A lawyer named Clint Broden has just received a call from his friend Nick Zamora whos informed him that his new bride Carolyn McDermott had drowned in their bathtub 🛀 . Nicky then hires Clint to represent him and he wins.

Several years later, Nickys new wife Samantha goes missing and once again Nicky reaches out to his old friend, Clint to represent him. However, some new evidence start to come to light making Clint question Nickys innocence.

Engaging courtroom scenes, interesting dialogues and
    Lawyer_reads _books
    Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This was my first book by Adam Mitzner and IT WILL NOT BE MY LAST!!!!!

From the beginning of the book, Mr. Mitzner had my attention, and I couldn't read fast enough to find out how the story ended.

The book centers around two legal cases involving the main character, Clinton Broden, and his childhood friend, Nick Zamora. The beginning of the book is told from Broden's perspective, but as the book continues we hear from Broden's wife as well as Nick. I thoroughly enjoyed the way that Mitzner
    Donna Hines
    Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: arc, netgalley
    First and foremost I must note that this is my first novel from this author under the Broden Legal Series.
    With this said, I gravitated towards this ARC as a Criminal Justice Master as well as having interned as an undergrad with the Public Defender's Office. I was always told to become a prosecutor but funds weren't there so my dream subsided and then marriage and kids and you know the rest.
    I honestly couldn't let this one pass me by without at least trying it and with that I must say,"Thank
    Elite Group
    Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Best mates?

Clint Broden and Nick Zamora are best friends, having grown up together after Clints parents were tragically killed. Clint is a struggling attorney and Nick a wannabe author and notorious womaniser. Both are married. Clint to Anne and Nick, more recently, to Carolyn, a bride of a few weeks who dies in the bath in the first few pages. This is the story of how they interact during that particular crisis and how their lives pan out afterwards.

The story is written in sections each from
    John
    Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

This is the 1st book that I have read by this author, but it definitely won't be my last. This story begins with Clint's friend Nicky calling him to let him know that his wife had drowned in the bathtub. Clint went directly to his friends to be with him and when he got there the police were already on the scene. As the story went on, Nicky was ultimately arrested for his wife's
    Cliff Jennings
    Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    The Best Friend by Adam Mitzner
    Adam Mitzner is one of those writers whose works manage to keep me up well past my bedtime. Luckily I started this one early in the day and post knee surgery so I had a head start. I might actually get some sleep tonight.
    The Best Friend is indeed about two best friends from childhood. One has become a lawyer and the other a writer trying to get published. Clint Broden is the lawyer who gets called by his childhood friend Nick Zamora. Nick is crying and says his new
    Shay
    Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: netgalley
    Twenty-seven-year old women are not supposed to drown in the bathtub.

The Best Friend is the third in the Broden legal series, but it easily a standalone novel. The story begins in 1986 with the bathtub drowning of a 27-year-old bride. The drowning is determined to be a homicide, and of course its always the husband. New defense attorney, Clint Broden, is the accuseds best friend. Even though Clints firm is struggling, he decides to represent Nicks defense at trial.

Clint is the father to Ella
    Eloise Robbertze
    Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: legal-thriller
    The Best Friend by Adam Mitzner is, I believe, his best legal thriller to date! I picked it up and didnt stop reading until the last page honest!

The plot is complex and engaging with two distinct storylines. Its almost like listening to two pieces of complimentary classical music simultaneously: the prose intertwines to create a musical score that coaxes you this way and that.

The characters are beautifully developed. Theyre intelligent, witty, empathetic and reproachable which makes it so easy
    Dawn
    Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This is the third book dealing with the family of Clint Broden, a high powered lawyer in New York City. While all the books are enjoyable, it is not necessary to have read the other two to understand or love this book.

This is the story of Broden, who in the 1980s was a struggling lawyer who defended his best friend for the murder of the friend's wife. Years after the trial, the two friends cross paths again.

I do not want to give anything away, as I came into the book with no prior knowledge of
    Erika
    Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Thanks to Netgalley and Thomas & Mercer for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This book spans decades and revolves around the relationship between Clint, a defense attorney, and his best friend since childhood, Nicky, who was accused of killing his wife in 1986. Clint defends Nicky but the two lose touch following the trial, until an event brings them back together in the current day and past truths are revealed.

I read and enjoyed Adam Mitzners first novel and for some
    Susanne
    Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2020, netgalley
    Thank you to Thomas & Mercer, and to NetGalley, for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This is the third in a series - I had not read the first two, but had no problem reading and enjoying this as a stand-alone. The author tells a story that is ostensibly a legal thriller, but which devolves into an intricate web of friendship, love and betrayal between the three main characters. Not so much thrills, but a very satisfying read. The characters are well-drawn and I loved the way the
    Lesley Kay
    Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley, owned
    Thank you Thomas & Mercer for an ARC of this title! This review is my honest opinion and my own thoughts on the book.

I love Adam Mitzner's novels, and I was so excited to read this! Unlike the first 2 Broden Legal books, this one focuses on Ella's dad, Clint (and his best friend Nicky). When Nicky's young new bride drowns in their bathtub, Clint represents him in court but their friendship drifts apart. Decades later, when ANOTHER one of Nicky's wives dies under suspicious circumstances,
    Jamie Trauth
    Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Love a good legal thriller. This absolutely did the job. This is the third book in the Broden series, & the Author didnt let me down. I didnt find the court room scenes to drag on as many legal dramas do. I found myself sitting in the scene, holding my breath, waiting for the critical calls from the judge.

This novel has it al. The character development is superb, the plot beyond intriguing and captivating, packed with drama and fast paced cataclysmic events that intertwined two suspicious
    Claudete Takahashi
    Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I havent read the previous book in this series and it didnt make a difference. I love legal thrillers and this book was no exception! The story is told from each of the main characters point of view and it involves the feelings of love, betrayal, deception, friendship, moral values, family relationships and loss. Its interesting as each one of the characters uses the above feelings in a different scale to support their views and to command their lives. It also enlightens the reader with a very ...more
    Doug Yonce
    Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Excellent character development adds to a perfect plot for those characters. When one of the best friends is accused of murder, the other, a lawyer, comes to his rescue. Secrets threaten the bonds of the friendship, and when a second murder trial occurs, those bonds are tested even further. The author has done a great job of entertaining, but also teaches and makes the reader evaluate his own motives, attitudes, and reactions. I received an advanced digital copy of this book from NetGalley and ...more
    Jane
    Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I have read most of Adam Mitzner's books, and particularly liked the series about Ella Broden. This one might be my favorite. Two murder trials and a great psychological study of a character i thought i knew. It reminded me a little of Presumed Innocent. This is the third of the Broden books, but it reads like a stand alone. It focuses on Ella's father, Clint Broden, and his rise to becoming the great defense lawyer we see him as in Dead Certain and Never Goodbye. Highly recommend.
    Randi
    Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: 2020
    3.5 stars, rounded down. While the writing in this is on par with Mitzner's other books, the level of suspense just did not match. Not to say that I didn't enjoy this, especially given some of the characters which I already was familiar with, but it felt a little too fanatical to be suspenseful. I wouldn't say this is worth skipping, but it didn't captivate me in the same way as the author's earlier novels.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy in exchange for an honest review.
    Jo Ann
    Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I received this book as an ARC from NetGalley.

This book has it all: long-term friendships, suspicious deaths, courtroom drama, and heart-breaking scenes. The characters were well drawn and the mystery continues until the very end.
    Gregg Goldman
    Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Very fun vacation read. Mitzners best book to date. Cant wait for his next one. ...more
    Amber
    Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    In this novel, we follow Clint, a novice defense attorney and his best friend Nick. This story is about friendships and betrayal. I loved it. Kept me reading and wanting to know more.
    Jodi Siskind
    Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I was looking for a great page turner for my vacation, and found the perfect book! The characters were gripping and the story was captivating - couldnt put it down! ...more
    Elizabeth

• Little Secrets
    • Last One to Lie
    • The Wife Who Knew Too Much
    • The Night Swim
    • A Reasonable Doubt (Robin Lockwood #3)
    • Strangers
    • Playing Nice
    • What Lies Between Us
    • Past Deeds (Brandon Fisher FBI #8)
    • The House Guest
    • The Mall
    • Burn Our Bodies Down
    • Spindle and Dagger
    • No Bad Deed
    I grew up in East Brunswick, New Jersey, which is about an hour outside of New York City. I graduated from Brandeis University with a B.A. and M.A. in politics, and from there went directly on to law school at the University of Virginia.

After law school, I joined the litigation department of a large New York City law firm, and after a few more stops, am currently the head of the litigation

Broden Legal (3 books)
    • Dead Certain (Broden Legal, #1)
    • Never Goodbye (Broden Legal)

News & Interviews