Start by marking “Hardcore Anxiety: A Graphic Guide to Punk Rock and Mental Health” as Want to Read:
Hardcore Anxiety: A Graphic Guide to Punk Rock and Mental Health

Hardcore Anxiety: A Graphic Guide to Punk Rock and Mental Health

Punk rock and mental health have been intertwined since the very beginning. Nervous breakdowns, anxiety, seeking acceptance, attempting to overcome internalized demons, and reacting to harmful and oppressive systems--punk rock embodies and emboldens all our feelings and experiences, positive and negative. Hardcore Anxiety charts and tracks punk movements from the 70s till ...more
Published September 10th 2019 by Microcosm Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Hardcore Anxiety, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hardcore Anxiety

Start your review of Hardcore Anxiety: A Graphic Guide to Punk Rock and Mental Health
Rod Brown
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
A former member of several Evansville, Indiana, local punk bands recounts his struggles with mental health and how he feels it intertwined with his love of punk rock music. Between the autobiographical bits, he includes quick sketches of his favorite bands, including the Ramones, Black Flag, the Clash, the Replacements and more.

I'm not sure he really lands his thesis that punk rock directly addresses mental health issues in a special way that enabled him to rise against his depression and
Karl
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great stuff. The art is sloppy and frenetic but that’s OK. The heart of this book is the author’s deep dive into the intense swirl of mental health and punk rock. For me this was personal as I’ve been a punk for 35 years and have struggled with bipolar for pretty much the same length of time. The bands featured - Jawbreaker, Bad Brains, Black Flag,Minor Threat, Husker Du, Fugazi and a couple others - guided my way through some very difficult years. Trust me, I’ve screamed along to “Depression” ...more
Stewart Tame
Dec 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This is pretty much what it says on the cover. Reid Chancellor played in several Indiana punk bands over a ten year period while battling depression. Interspersed are capsule biographies of a number of well-known punk bands with emphasis on how some of their songs pertain to mental health.

As someone who's delved into punk rock among other genres over the years--and as a huge comics fan--this book resonated strongly for me. The DIY, no BS ethos of punk has always meshed well with the indie comics
Mary M
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reid's honesty in his debut graphic novel is what I look for in anything that I read. Even if you aren't into punk rock music, you will walk away with something valuable from this book.
Ken French
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very moving.
Carlie Gren
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The older I get the more aware I become of my anxiety and depression and the effects it has on my life. I work at a book store (a new job) and while scanning the shelves saw this title pop out at me. A book about anxiety and punk, two things that are ever-present in my daily life? Sign me the fuck up! Bought it and read it immediately. Caught myself crying while reading it thinking of my own relationship with music and the mental health struggles I've faced. The books ending statement and ...more
Kristan
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You don't have to be a fan of graphic novels to enjoy this. You don't even have to be a fan of punk rock to enjoy this. You just have to be human and love a good, fast paced, nonfiction story about life, love, music, and mental health. Pick this up and thank yourself! I loved everything about it.
sanne
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i absolutely love the art style! i love punk rock stuff and a lot of the personal, mental health related stuff spoke to me in a weird way. this book hit me harder than i expected.
Cecilia
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When the book came into the library, I was not sure what to think about the graphic novel. Once I started reading I could not stop. It uniquely weaves one person's journey with anxiety and depression while giving the reader a history of punk rock. It's a quick read, so there is no reason not to give this book a try.
Rebus X
Oct 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
It cannot possibly be overstated just how bad this graphic novel is, from the art to the execution to the terrible writing, it's not only an assault on the institution of literature, but a slight to everyone who has ever identified as a punk (while also failing utterly to express his ludicrous thesis that punk is an antidote to mental illness).

The fact is that punk was an act of resistance born of anarchist impulses and bands like the Ramones and Pistols were armchair sociologists who were
Hannah Collins
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
Some spelling errors but good overall.
This book was relatable, but not knowing most of the bands mentioned left me feeling like I was missing something. I'm sure if the reader is someone that listens to punk rock, they will be able to understand more of what is being said.

I think mental health is a topic that really needs to be talked about more, so I'm glad this book exists, it just wasn't for me.

Author: Reid Chancellor

• Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • The Little Guys
  • When I Arrived at the Castle
  • Excuse Me
  • Unfuck Your Brain: Using Science to Get Over Anxiety, Depression, Anger, Freak-Outs, and Triggers
  • High School