Start by marking “The Will of Heaven: An Inspiring True Story About Elephants, Alcoholism, and Hope” as Want to Read:

Published May 20th 2019 by Alberta Pearl Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Will of Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Will of Heaven

Start your review of The Will of Heaven: An Inspiring True Story About Elephants, Alcoholism, and Hope
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book grabbed me right from the beginning. It was so beautifully written connecting the life of a struggling addict on her road to recovery with that of a magnificent group of elephants. I fell in love with both stories.
Vicki W
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was only planning to read the prologue - it was a busy day prepping for my daughter's birthday - but by chapter 7, I realized this was one of THOSE books. You know the ones - the story enfolds you from the start. They get under your skin. They change your life lens. They challenge you. You tell everyone you know that they "HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK" and then you feel guilty for being the person you hate, but this book is that grand exception. Seriously. YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK. The incredible ...more
Justine Light
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Compelling story of addiction, hope and recovery. Plus fascinating and deeply moving stories about the lives of elephants. You will love the way the author weaves theses two worlds together and you won’t want to put the book down. Can’t wait for book 2 as there is surely so much more to share. Wonderful!!
Debra Lukan
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Will of Heaven is a read you can't put down... you can't stop thinking about....and it will stay with you long after you are done reading. As a person who is drawn to real life stories... the story of Debbie Ethell is one not many (if any) can say they have lived. I love how the book intertwines with her fight to sobriety and her commitment in fighting for the elephants who ultimately helped her find her way to freedom. The parallels of love and fight create a lasting impression. This is a b ...more
Cari Zoebelle
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was one of the BEST books I've read in a long time!!! I couldn't put it down everytime I sat down to read it. The way Debbie writes made it feel like I was right there with her seeing all of the elephants and feeling what she was feeling each time. Even when she wrote about her revovery journey I felt the pain and joy as well. What an inspiring story!! I can't wait for books #2 & 3!!!
dan lacey
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I just could not put down. On the one hand it is Debbie Ethel’s brutally honest account of her journey through alcoholism which she tells with such frankness but also humor. On the other hand she tells an absolutely fascinating story about elephants. I never realized how intelligent they are and how they help each other in ways none of us could ever have imagined. This book is my unexpected gem of the year.

Dan Lacey
Shannon
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I don't remember the last time a book made me cry. I don't remember the last time I read a memoir that I couldn't put down. The Will of Heaven, by Debbie Ethell, managed to do both. Her story of overcoming a debilitating addiction to alcohol and fulfilling a lifelong dream of working with wild elephants is nothing less than extraordinary.

Ethell fell in love with elephants when she was eight years old. She saw an interview with Daphne Sheldrick, founder of the David Sheldrick Wildlife
Ed Wallace
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a spell inducing read. Debbie captures her obsession with Elephants, obsession with drugs and alcohol and her life recovery cycles with a depth of vision not usually experienced by new or experienced writers. He story details a life of living and living a life that creates goals, aspirations and objectives dreamed and achieved while fighting a plethora of demons. I understand alcoholism. I understand it's codependents actors and its actions. Debbie does too. And she expresses it as well ...more
Julie
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Debbie Ethell’s storytelling grabbed a hold of me and didn’t let go. When I read the parts of her personal journey, I felt she was actually trusting the reader with her story, that she had faith in us where she could be so raw and honest. And when she shared stories of the elephants, I took turns crying in happiness and grief. I’m really looking forward to reading the next books in the series and hopefully hearing more about the KOTA Foundation!
Debra M
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am almost done with this book and can’t put it down! The woven story lines are intertwined very well. I have cried as I have learned so much more about elephants then I ever knew. The journey she went through in overcoming addiction is a compelling one. You almost feel like you are on this journey with her. It’s a must read and full inspiration.
Dave Lutz
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really good author will take you someplace you have never been before. Show you things you didn't see before. Expose you to new understandings. Debbie does this and more. She opens you to a world of sentient beings not so different than ourselves and brings you into that world and ties it back to ours.
I loved it. Two thumbs up.
Carin Counihan
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Ethell's book took me away on the first page. I was on an adventure to Africa and to her struggle with a disease and coming out on the other side. A page turner that keeps you glued to the next page. A book you will not be disappointed in. Light hearten but serious at the same time. I was sad for the book to end. I wanted more! Trust me and get the book!
Robert Bodine
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book and found the Elephant stories mesmerizing! There are many things I did not kn ok w prior to reading this book. There is also a generous helping of inspiration in the author's trials. This is a very good read!
Shannon Anastasiadis
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an extraordinary story. Debbie inspires with her commitment to caring for herself and for the elephants - her elephants. This amazing book guides the reader into the suffering worlds of both the elephants and the alcoholic. Humbling and touching. Please read it - you won't be disappointed.
Brian Schindler
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Debbie Ethell does an amazing job with this amazing story
Dana
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is truly an inspiration as Debbie shares her additional battle... that she won! How elephants gave her the strength to meet her challenges. Well written and a can't put it down book!!
Wilhelmina
GG
Gary
Karyn Palmer
Aug 03, 2019

• Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, #2)
  • The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
  • Framed! (Framed #1)
  • The Golden Hour
  • The Shell Seekers
  • Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within
  • You're Not Crazy - It's Your Mother! Understanding and Healing for Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers
  • I Was Anastasia
  • A Girl Named Zippy
  • This Fight Is Our Fight: The Battle to Save America's Middle Class
  • Vanished! (Framed #2)
  • Midnight at the Blackbird Café
  • The Atomic City Girls
  • You Me Everything
  • The Truths We Hold: An American Journey
  • The Tea Dragon Society (Tea Dragon, #1)
  • Pilu of the Woods
  • The Jade Lily
This is Debbie Ethell's debut and first book in a three-part WILL OF HEAVEN book series. She is also a conservation research scientist and currently works as the Executive Director of The KOTA Foundation for Elephants, a non-profit dedicated to educating people about the magic of elephants.