Start by marking “Dark Unicorn (Horn Sworn Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Unicorn (Horn Sworn Book 1)

Dark Unicorn

(Horn Sworn #1)

A Unicorn Shifter Novel

Perfect for fans of Sarah J. Maas and Victoria Aveyard, Dark Unicorn is the first of the new and mysterious adult fantasy series Horn Sworn.

Princess Wrenyve knows her oath to return her Kingdom's missing artifact, the Heart of Spellshallow, means one of the King's children will die. Even if Wren is cunning, fast, and strong enough, there's a good cha
Published August 13th 2019 by Cave Creek Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Dark Unicorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Unicorn

Start your review of Dark Unicorn (Horn Sworn Book 1)
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 CRANKY STARS

This is a decent story about a magical kingdom. I can only give it 4 out of 5 stars because it wasn’t memorable to me and I finished two days ago. I truly hope that book 2 will be more engaging. I think I have a problem with it because unlike most women, I can’t believe that so many young women in stories lately run off to save the world without help. It seems especially dumb in the magical world when one doesn’t know what kind of magical beings they will encounter. Then, they do g
Belinda Clemons
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this unique book. Princess Wrenyve agrees to the command of her father the King to do what ever it takes to get a special artifact know as Heart of Spellshadow, which gives their kingdom its magic, back even though they know that it was her brother who took it. Thackery Wren's ex is commanded by the king to go with her on her quest and they hear that a Unicorn knows how to get the Heart back he tells them that he will tell them on one condition that he gets his horn back. This end ...more
T.
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving an honest review. As I’ve said before, I always give honest reviews whether people appreciate them or not.

This story begins with Wren, or officially Princess Wrenyve, outside in her nightgown waiting for her father to let her back into the Kingdom. When the King does, they go to where the Kingdom’s magical artifact is kept to see whether or not it’s there. Nope. It isn’t there and they are pretty sure her older brothe
Books&Love
Jun 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
I DNFed this around 75%.

When I started this book I was super excited because it started out fast-paced, the plot really intrigued me, the cover is GORGEOUS, the magic system sounded amazing, there was funny banter and dialogue, and Wren, our main heroine, seemed to be a complex and capable young woman. The pace was great, the world-building was promising, the action-packed scenes riveting. Then, as Wren and her travel companion and ex-lover, Thackery, rush to retrieve a magical artifact vital to
Bob Morton
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to give this 4.5 stars. I hate cliffhanger endings. I had read a beta copy of this book and would have dropped it to 4 if that ending had been in place. The ending ends with a mile cliffhanger but all story lines have been wrapped up sufficiently.

So the basic story. Boy (Thackery) loves girl (Wren). She likes him. Wren being the princess she is, does not want to get married just to please her father the king. By the way, as the story opens, her (evil) brother has stolen the heart shape
Billie
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Princess Wrenyve knows her oath to return her Kingdom’s missing artifact, the Heart of Spellshallow, means one of the King’s children will die. Even if Wren is cunning, fast, and strong enough, there’s a good chance it will still be her.
Without the Heart, magic will flee the land faster than the night flees the day. Without the Heart, Spellshallow, and everything in it will cease to exist. As her brother’s shameful thievery is uncovered, Wren must swallow her pride and accept help from allies wh
Renee
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wren is Heir to the kingdom of Spellshadow, and a mage. All magic in the kingdom stems from an artifact called the Heart. When her jealous brother, Pieter, steals the Heart and sells it to Hashir the Collector, Wren and a nobleman's son, Thackary, are sent to retrieve it--and Pieter. Without the Heart, all magic in Spellshadow--and Wren--will leach away forever. A world without magic? Unthinkable! Early in their search, they encounter Calen, a Unicorn who's lost his horn. He offers to tell them ...more
Anne Dwyer
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Spellshadow's heart of magic has been stolen by Pieter, the kings eldest son. Princess Wrenyve, the heir to the throne must retrieve it - and that may mean that she has to kill her older brother. Thackery is her father's favorite guard, and the king has sent him to help and protect her - even,. as it turns out, against his father. When the oracle Ana tells them that Hashir has the heart, and they will not be able to get it back, Wren knows that she will have to ask the help of people and creatur ...more
Genelle Themann
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Not your mama's unicorn...

OK, unicorns are not all cute rainbows and sparkles, prancing in the meadows. Truth is, they are cunning, sexy, confrontational, egotistical creatures. In other words, more human like than not. When Princess Wren heads off to try and recover her kingdom's lost artifact, she is helped by her ex-boyfriend, Thackery, and they recruit additional help from a drunkard named Calen. From the start, what could possibly go wrong, does, including jealous, testosterone fueled tensi
Christinaraven
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story was a mix of magic and adventure that was very addicting and fun to read. I read it in one sitting because it hooked me quickly. I just had to see if Wren would catch up to her idiot brother and find the Heart before all magic disappears. And the setup of a fallen Unicorn was very cool and I cannot wait to see what he ends up able to do next because what he did in this book and the hints dropped were amazing. I liked what world building was described and cannot wait to see what is rev ...more
Heather Gilbert
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
3.5 rounded up

This isn’t quite what I expected, though I am not sure what those expectations really were. It’s a tale they whips through magical realms and portrays a new world with different rules and creatures. Sometimes too fast to make sense, but always moving forward, it’s a fantasy adventure I’m not sure of, but interested in enough to read book 2 when it comes out.

Pros:
- Intriguing world building.
- Full on fantasy.
- unicorn mythos

Cons:
- Bit confusing.
- Very Fast.
- background??
- Emotional
Donna
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the new Horn Sworn series. It was an interesting read, full of all kinds of different beings, and I very much enjoyed it - I really wanted to give it 4.5*. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys paranormal/supernatural romance and adventure stories, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the next book (and following ones!) in the series.
NB I received a complimentary copy of this book, but I always give an HONEST review based wholly on my own opinion
Scarolet Ellis
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dark Unicorn: A Unicorn Shifter Novel (Horn Sworn Book 1) by Taylor Haiden is an amazing story that I have had the privilege to read. This is book number one in this amazing start to a brand new series writen by brand new author for me to read. I can not wait to read next next book in this series and I highly recommend this story to everyone who loves reading about fantasy and paranormal romances in their stories.

Jennifer Grimm
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have not read anything from Taylor Haiden before, but I was pleasantly satisfied with what I have read. The plot was creative and the characters were great. .Wren and Calen were a great team even though Calen is known to be dangerous. I enjoyed this very much and recommend it for those who enjoy paranormal books.

Audry Wichelns
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dark Unicorn: Horn Sworn Book 1

I thoroughly enjoyed this book although it did not turn out like I thought it would. I truly thought the Wren would learn to appreciate Thackery. Instead she flips over Calen the unicorn shifter. Where does he go from here? The story leaves you wondering what happened to Christoph, too. Did he die? But worse, we know the powerful Collector is still out there. Can't wait to read the next one!
Kathleen Bradbury (Bulfon)
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have not read a bad book from this author yet and this book is no exception! The great plot and character development kept me so engaged throughout the entire book that I had a very hard time putting this book down until the very last page was turned!

Barbara
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
A new series called Horn Shorn and the one thing I hope is better in the final book is the text. I found that this copy gave me a headache because of the size. I will read the next book and see if it is written better. The story was interesting. Maybe I got a bad copy. I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Valeria Orlando
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I downloaded the free sample on amazon and the beginning was a bit confusing but promising so I took the book to see how it would continue.
I liked it but I think adding a little background would improve a lot the reading experience.
Is like you drop in the middle of this story not knowing anything about this universe.
I will buy the next one for sure
Barbara
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unicorn without a horn...

Wasn't sure about this book at first. The title "Dark" Unicorn led me to believe the content to be different than they are. Guess that goes along with not judging a book by its cover. This ended up being a "quest" which I really enjoyed! Now to wait for Book 2...
Dawncee
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Watch Out for Squirrels

Good read. It was the tittle that caught my eye, being a Kindle Unlimited book was what made me get it, but the story itself is what pulled me in and kept me turning the pages. Strong, well written characters seep into your brain, adventure and creatures make your heart stop.

One complaint: It's not a unicorn shifter, it's a pegacorn shifter.
Tiffany Bolden-lewis
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Who knew unicorns could be so sexy and fascinating. Apparently a princess from one realm didnt read up on her unicornology. During her time trying to save her kingdom after a devastating crime is committed, she will be forced to team up with a unicorn. Will she survive the journey to fix the crime or the chance meeting with the unicorn. Cant wait to read the next one.
John Kraft
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Exciting plot with lots of action

Could use more editing. Some actions are out of order. When attacked by 3 enemies and 3 are killed but 1 still got away. Bad guys can teleport without warning. Weaknesses change depending upon scene. First and third person change without warning. Could be a great story with further editing.
Tanya
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
She has to return the spellshadow even though it means one of them will die. Without it being in the kingdom magic will disappear from the kingdom. It is not going to be easy but it is something she must do. How will she get on? Will she be there one to die? See how she gets on

Sharon
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dark Unicorn

Interesting characters with lots of trials that need to be faced and overcome throughout an intriguing story

Tamara Edmunds
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved this book

This book deserves 5 stars except that there are many proofreading errors that could be easily corrected. I am hoping that book 2 will be out soon so I can find out what happens next.
Heather Bane
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been looking forward to reading this book. It did not disappoint. Great storyline and characters. I loved the adventure and want more. I highly recommend reading this book.

Janice E. Ryberg
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dark Unicorn is intense and earns 4.7 stars!

Rich, world-building and colorful characters. Just enough romance to make this story twitch a bit. Looking forward to the next story in the series. Enjoy!
Heather Long
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's good too short though

Why does everyone have to have silver hair? The story is great and even near complete. It's good for those that like the week female type and a quick read.
Jackie
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one fabulous story to start the beginning of another series. I truly love fantasy but this beats them all. Don’t miss out once it’s released.
Trish Strong
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Magic, mystery, suspense, action, romance....it has all that. Fast-paced it gets right into it right away.

• Threat (Academy of Unpredictable Magic, #4)
  • Perdition (Fortuna Academy, #4)
  • Oath Taker (Kingdom of Runes, #1)
  • Clash (Academy of Unpredictable Magic, #6)
  • Grave Magic Bounty (Forty Proof, #1)
  • Thief (Academy of Unpredictable Magic , #3)
  • Dark Dancer (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #3)
  • Night Stalker (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #2)
  • Control of Five (Origins of the Six, #2)
  • Fireborne (Raven Cursed #1)
  • Nightworld Academy: Term Three (Nightworld Academy #3)
  • Slaying Year Two (Grim Reaper Academy #2)
  • A Wicked Raven (University of Morgana: Academy of Enchantments and Witchcraft #4)
  • Spellcrest Academy (Spellcrest Academy, #1)
  • Hunt (Academy of Unpredictable Magic, #5)
  • Witching in a Winter Wonkyland (Wonky Inn #8.5)
  • Fallen University: Year One (Fallen University, #1)
  • Fallen University: Year Two (Fallen University #2)

Horn Sworn (2 books)