Start by marking “El trágico destino de Birdie Bloom” as Want to Read:
El trágico destino de Birdie Bloom

El trágico destino de Birdie Bloom

Una novela que te robará el corazón y te hará recordar la magia de los cuentos clásicos.

En el mágico reino de Wanderly, todos tienen un papel. Birdie Bloom es una Trágica. ¿Qué quiero decir con «trágica»? Que básicamente está condenada a un final infeliz, por eso pasa sus días encerrada con otros diecisiete huérfanos en el Hogar para Trágicos de Foulweather, donde debería
Published June 11th 2019 by Puck (first published March 26th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about El trágico destino de Birdie Bloom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El trágico destino de Birdie Bloom

Start your review of El trágico destino de Birdie Bloom
Mrs. Europaea
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can relate to Birdie Bloom. Birdie is an eight year old orphan stuck in this awful house, with awful adults training her for the day she will have to sacrifice her life for a triumphant. That is, until the Winds of Wanderly step in and Foulweather's Home for the Tragical is thrown into utter chaos.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. What Beltz does well is she really knows how to write an engaging story for young children without using crude and gross language that I see all too often with
Jessica
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, fantasy, own
Whimsical adventure in a land ruled "by the book." If you're an orphan, you'll have a gloomy life and come to a tragical end. If you're a witch? You're definitely wicked. Because that's how things are in books! But what if you . . . don't want to die a tragic orphan? Alone and friendless? What if you're a witch who is tired of doing the same stupid spells over and over?

That's where this book comes in. Also, the book within this book. Because orphan Birdie Bloom isn't going to take her Tragical
Tucker
DNF @ Page 72

I had high hopes for this. Now, I didn't not enjoy this. The writing style was amazing and I loved the footnotes. This book lacked one thing, in my opinion. A plot. I hope others enjoy this more than I did!
VIBookCrate
Birdie Bloom lives under the iron fist of Mistress Octavia at Foulweather’s Home for the Tragical, where she is constantly reminded that she will meet a horrible and tragical death when she’s finally released from the Home. But, unbeknownst to Mistress Octavia, Birdie has found something very special, and very secret: a book about friendship, that has no ending.

Agnes Prunella Crunch is the wickedest of wicked witches. She has spent an entire year combing for the vilest of spells and magic, but
Andrea Doyon
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Birdie Bloom is a Tragical in the world of Wanderly, which means her life is destined for a gloomy end. Imprisoned in a castle with other Tragical children, Birdie discovers a hidden, unfinished book (something banned) which gives her a vision of a new kind of world: one with friends. Agnes Prunella Crunch is a jaded witch, tired of the same old spells. She’s looking for something to spice up her solitary existence. By coincidence alone, these two discover that the most unlikely of characters ...more
Ms. Yingling
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

This reminded me a bit of Ruth Chew or Glovach's The Little Witch's Black Magic Cookbook in its depiction of witches. (Agnes has a wart on her nose, smelly socks, etc.) Some shades of Lemony Snicket, with Birdie at the orphanage. This had a more elementary tone and set up. My readers want to think of themselves as having magic, so want the witches to read about be powerful or glamorous. Books like Nichols The Apprentice Witch or Little's Bliss are more what I'm looking
michelle
A tale narrated by a book about a fairy-tale world where everyone has a role written into their "story" and it must be followed. But when Birdie Bloom, a Tragical orphan doomed to an unhappy ending, discovers an unfinished book she is given something she has never had before - hope.

This was a very unusual tale that I think was paced perfectly for MG readers. In Wanderly, all is determined by the Chancellor and all books must get his official seal of approval. Orphans are Tragicals and witches
Keshia
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
@kidlitexchange #partner Thanks to the #kidlitexchange network, publisher @harpercollinsch, and author #temrebeltz for the review copy of this book - all opinions are my own. I finished this book in the sunshine this week, which would seem to contradict the title of this book! But, as the book tells us itself, this is not an entirely tragical tale. Birdie is an orphan, and in Wanderly orphans are destined for tragic endings. This seems to be the path that Birdie and the other children will ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
The Tragical Tale of Birdie Bloom by Temre Beltz, 368 pages. Harper Collins, MAY 2019. $17.

Language: G; Mature Content: G; Violence: PG (some scary scenes)

BUYING ADVISORY: EL - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Birdie Bloom knows her lot in life is to be a tragical figure with a short life, in order to protect the rest of the citizens from bad ends to their tales. Agnes Crunch has been an evil, smelly, warty witch for a very long time, but now she is feeling discontented – bored, you might say.
Karen McKenna
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Orphan Birdie Bloom is destined to live a tragic existence until the winds of Waverly make her a penpal to witch Prunella Crunch. Prunella is just as horrified to learn that Birdie is a child (witches avoid them) as Birdie is to learn Prunella is a witch. Yet their unlikely letter exchange continues. Birdie has never known what it is like to have a friend (as a tragical this notion is strickly forbidden) and Prunella has never wanted one. Yet through this unlikely friendship, both characters ...more
Bella Cole
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, as we are told in the first couple pages, is NOT a tragical one. Not in the least. Instead, It's the story of, as you guessed, a girl called Birdie Bloom. Birdie is a tragical: A child who is doomed, and taught to accept that her tragical end is coming, very soon.

It's also the story of a witch, Agnes Prunella Crunch. Agnes is bored, and while convinced that she is so very wicked, she is falling off of that spectrum. What both really need, as Birdie discovers, is a friend. A few
Jennifer S
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Birdie Bloom is a Tragical, a doomed orphan living with 17 others in a miserable fortress awaiting some choice of miserable endings. Agnes Prunella Crunch is a bored witch who has just gotten to the disappointing end of her book of spells. These are an unlikely pair to become friends, which they do through an exchange of magical letters, learning as they go about what it means to be "friends."

Delightful story, just begging to be read aloud. I wish I still had someone to read it to!
Shari
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars for THE TRAGICAL TALE OF BIRDIE BLOOM!
What a fun and fantastical story Temre Beltz has woven! I love this adorable twist on the traditional fairy tale! The story begins with the "typical" sad orphan/ mean witch, but with delightful footnotes, and many dramatic and hilarious twists and turns, this tale shows how hope, courage, and especially friendship can beat the odds and change one's "fate." Reading this book is truly like watching an artist sketch and then color in a beautiful work
Pam
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grades
Loved the footnotes and intro from the book itself. Clever way to draw the reader in.
The story brought out the darker side of fairy tale life. Everyone was scripted and had no recourse but to be their label.
Birdie is a Tragical so would meet a tragic end - no discussion. The story wove a friendship between a tragical and a witch along with other tragicals. Together, they discover they are so much more than a label and overcome major obstacles.
William
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweet charming story of friendship and loyalty. Following the "Tragicals" as the as the accept their fate and discover that maybe there is something else if they can only be brave enough to find it. Who wouldn't want to hang out with Birdie, Cricket and their friends.
Amanda
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this would be a great book for someone 10-13 range. It’s a fantastic book about friendship and how words can change lives. I was impressed with the language and vocabulary used through the book.
Susie Alexander
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps the most creative book I have ever read. Incredible vocabulary and use of language. Characters come to life, as we see unlikeliest of friendships develop. Use of footnotes fills this book with creative sidelines. I loved it!
Leela Martin
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really fun book to read, especially during the fall and nearing Halloween. I love the author's idea to use footnotes throughout the book as if the book itself had a personality and was talking with me.
Deanna
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
CUTE STORY, THE CHILD IS THE HERO, BUT LEARNS A FABULOUS LESSON.
Mandy
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fun read! The book talks to the reader! A good companion as you follow the characters on their adventure to find friendship and redefine themselves.
R.K. Cowles
4 1/2 stars. A goodreads giveaway. A whimsical, wicked and delightful tale.
Anna Bright
an absolutely perfect middle grade. heartfelt, whimsical, and absolutely hilarious. i highly recommend!
Shannon Kernan
2.5/5, maybe a 3 tops.
Kristiana Y. Sfirlea
Charming. There's no better way to describe this book. Just utterly charming. So happy I picked it up!
Liza
A book that started off strong but then started meandering around for far too long for my liking.
Eva
can someone tell me if this book gets at all less twee or should i go ahead and give up because good LACK but i'm suffering
Stephanie
I adore this book with my whole heart. I hope you will, too! <3
OjoAusana
The best magical fantasy book I’ve read since The School of Good and Evil! A original twist on fairytale worlds and the people who live in them. I loved everything about this book, the footnotes are adorable and useful, the characters were great, the plot is good and it’s an overall cute, adventurous and humorous book!
Lisa Schmid
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Tragical Tale of Birdie Bloom is magically delightful! I love the fresh take on fairy tales and the spunky spirit of Birdie Bloom. This is a fun, whimsical story that will surely entertain middle-grade readers in search of a tragically good time! More, please!
Kate Waggoner
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
@kidlitexchange #partner
Thank you to the @kidlitexchange network for the advance copy of this novel. All opinions are my own.

The Tragical Tale of Birdie Bloom is a fun, whimsical, and not so tragical story of magic and friendship. Birdie is a nine-year-old orphan living with seventeen other orphans at Foulweather’s Home for the Tragical in the word of Wanderly. Wanderly is ruled by the “by the book.” This means that your endings are already pre-determined. Tragicals will die horrible deaths,

• The Library of Ever (The Library of Ever #1)
  • The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane
  • The Strangers (Greystone Secrets, #1)
  • Maybe He Just Likes You
  • The True History of Lyndie B. Hawkins
  • The Last Human
  • Changeling (The Oddmire #1)
  • The Storm Keeper's Island (Storm Keeper, #1)
  • Summer of a Thousand Pies