Start by marking “Michael McGillicuddy and the Most Amazing Race” as Want to Read:
Michael McGillicuddy and the Most Amazing Race

Michael McGillicuddy and the Most Amazing Race

Puzzling Intrigue. Epic Adventure. Cut-throat competition. When a quiet introvert and gifted tinkerer, Michael McGillicuddy, is invited to participate in the annual race organized by a secret society called the Order of the Blue Cloak, he forces himself to take a chance. Participation in this year’s race represents a dual opportunity: To honor his father’s legacy, and to w ...more
Published June 15th 2019

Start your review of Michael McGillicuddy and the Most Amazing Race
Christi M
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
If you've ever seen the Wacky Races by Hanna-Barbera, then you might have a little idea of what one leg of the race Michael McGillicuddy experiences is like.  This steampunk book has a little of everything:  heroes, heroines, villains, back-stabbers, fun gadgets, puzzles, and more.

Thoughts:

For those who haven't seen the Wacky Races cartoon, it was a group of cars all racing to different locations, trying to earn the title of World's Wackiest Racer.  Each car was so unique and different/> ...more
Julia Walker
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every once in awhile a book comes along that presents the reader with an amazing story; this is one of those books. Written in a classic literature style in which characters are fascinating, the setting hops from place to place and imagination soars, Dutcher has surpassed my wildest dreams of good old fashioned storytelling. Michael McGillicuddy is in his 20’s, an engineer by day and an inventor by night. He has a history with the race but is nonetheless surprised when he receives his invite. Fr ...more
Trevor Williams
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all ages; lovers of steampunk
Summary

Michael McGillicuddy and the Most Amazing Race is a novel which takes you across the land, sea, and air in... well, a most amazing race - one that I enjoyed experiencing from start to finish. There were a few aspects of the story, particularly as we neared the end, which didn't gel with me but those missteps didn't detract from the story as a whole.

Steampunk with a Dash of Fantasy
For starters, I really enjoyed the world that Michael, our primary protagonist, resides. The depth to which details are prov/>Steampunk/>Michael
Karen
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written, entertaining story. Could use an editor for grammatical errors and odd punctuation.
Robert
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a very enjoyable first novel in the steampunk genre written by a co-worker. As with many self-published books, there were a few too many typos, but hopefully, those can be cleaned up in an update. The other challenge I had with the book was more fundamental and concerned about how the race was tracked. Although the objective was to be first over the finish line with all the necessary tokens picked up along the way, the teams didn’t seem to be in any particular hurry to start each day af ...more
Dennis Berner
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great storyline

Could not put this down. The characters and storyline kept me highly immersed within the novel and the ending was quite spectacular.
Jessica Lucci
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
"Michael McGillicuddy and the Most Amazing Race" by Trevor Dutcher is a steampunk adventure novel about a young man's quest to solve a puzzle in an intricate game over land, sea, and air.

The steampunk elements and vehicles are interesting. Modes of travel were creative and fun, invoking a compelling story. The prospect of being invited to participate in a cross-the-world contest was thrilling.

I was torn between giving this book a two or three star rating. It has a generally good sto
Jennie Rosenblum
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Need a book that you can curl up with and forget about the rest of the world – this may be it. My reading for an hour on Sunday afternoon turned into several hours because I just had to know what was going to happen. This book is filled with adventure, interesting characters, challenges, and intriguing mechanical devices. A little like Indian Jones meets Around the World in 80 Days.
While you can read it quickly, with the layers of subplots and character complications that are running simul
Estott
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Entertaining , in a juvenile and rather breathless way. In desperate, CRYING need of a spell check and grammar editor. Nice atmosphere, maybe a few too many descriptions of puzzles- no matter how interesting Cubetta might be in theory it doesn't come to life on the page- this might be better as a graphic novel.. Main characters are good, the rest are cardboard- infodump sources and plot fodder.

Perhaps the sequel might flesh things out a bit.
R Kumar
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enthralling read; I can't wait for the sequel. A fascinating escape into a steampunk universe, this book moves along at a crisp, engaging pace and takes the reader through a whirlwind journey. The wide cast of characters all have real heart and depth, and I genuinely missed them when the book ended. I can't wait to see what Dutcher writes next.
Sherry Anderson
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the adventurous story!
Elizabeth
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Steampunk adventure

Loved this story and the world it is set in. Great characters, both heroes and villains. And lots of action. I do hope there is more to come.
Vancil C. Thomas
Aug 23, 2019
Lady Mnemonic
Aug 30, 2019
Who was your favorite character? 1 1 Oct 15, 2019 09:59AM

• Sweet Deal Sealed (Donut Lady Mystery #0.5)
  • Ragel's Brood (Ragel's Brood, #1)
  • Naahla's Pet (Ragel's Brood, #2)
  • Dark Winds (Shadow's Fire #2)
  • Roland's Path (Heirs of Vanity #1)
  • Ten Minutes Past Teatime
  • The Navy Gave Me Shoes
  • The Music of Mars
  • The Goddesses of Japan: The first book of the series of the saga of the oldest continuous hereditary monarchy in the world, the Chrysanthemum Throne of Japan (The Goddesses of the World 1)
  • The Monsters of Music
  • Women Utopia: The Feminists are Here to Exterminate
  • Lightbringers and Lamplighters
  • Saving Thandi
  • Death Comes in Threes (Addie Foster Mystery Series, #1)
  • The Tricycle Way: How to Stop Racing through Life and Start Enjoying the Ride
  • Nobody Gets Out Of Catering Alive
  • The Damned Place
  • Rivals 2! More Frenemies Who Changed the World (Rivals, #2)
I am a practicing attorney who writes fiction for fun. Michael McGillicuddy and the Most Amazing Race is my debut novel, but I have more in the works.