Start by marking “A Cry in the Dark (Carly Moore #1)” as Want to Read:
A Cry in the Dark (Carly Moore #1)

A Cry in the Dark

(Carly Moore #1)

A woman fleeing her past finds more than she bargains for in a new suspense series by New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today bestselling author Denise Grover Swank.

A woman on the run with no one to trust.

With the ink barely dry on her new identity, Cary Moore just wants to disappear…but fate has other plans.

Broken down car, next to nothing in her bank acco
Kindle Edition
Published November 12th 2019 by DGS

To ask other readers questions about A Cry in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cry in the Dark

Start your review of A Cry in the Dark (Carly Moore #1)
Denise Hoover
Oh. My. Gosh.
STOP WHAT YOU’RE DOING AND GO BUY THIS BOOK!

This was hands down one of my favorite books by Denise Grover Swank. The mystery. The suspense. The romance. The open ended ending leaving room for a whole slew of more books for this series.

Don’t wait for this series to be completed until you read it, you’re going to want to read it as soon as you can. You won’t regret it.

Branching off with Carly in her own series, the poor girl is faced with challenges right away. She unfo
Sheri
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A whole new series by Denise Grover Swank means a whole new cast of characters. At the center is our heroine Charlene Moore, aka Carly. In a town full of secrets which of these individuals Carly trust?
I enjoyed this story from the first page. Sparks between Carly and Wyatt were apparent from their first meeting, but circumstances have the two keeping each other at arms length. Within 24 hours of her arrival, Carly becomes entangled in a mystery surrounding the murder of a local boy. As Carly in
Monique
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great start to a new series! We met Carly briefly in a couple of Rose Gardner Investigates books, and we got to know how sweet and caring she could be. That comes across again in spades and shows us that Carly is truly a goodhearted woman. I believe even Rose would be very proud of Carly Moore and how she handled herself since moving on from Henryetta.

Carly is on the run, and not like you think, it's not the law that she is running from. She seems to have terrible luck with cars and is s
Laila Nelke
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What an incredibly amazing start of new series! Carly's got her own series which made me fall in love from first chapter. Thank you Denise Grover Swank for giving us a whole lot new realistic characters to love! Yes, I love them and they quickly became my new friends. Carly, Wyatt, Hank, Max, Ruth and more. Loved how each one of them was different but so real,strong. Loved how they all took Carly as their own!
This first book kept me on the edge of my seat literally non stop. I couldn't put
Brandy Barber
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am so happy we got Carly's story. She has grown more then I expected her to. I hope she is in a safe town now. I think she will always miss Rose and them but she now is ready to move on. Wyatt and Max are both great new book boyfriends. I kind of like Tiny also. It is going to be fun growing with theses new books and learning what things they know.
Cris
This was everything! I devoured this book in a day. Carly is running from her past, from the people she trusted the most and want to see her dead. She just wants to go unnoticed and keep going, doesn't know whom to trust or lean on. When on the run, her car breaks down in the middle of nowhere and she is on the verge of losing the little hope she has left. A man finds her and offers her assistance, but with her trust issues and unwillingness to let anyone near her, ends up biting her back when he ...more
Shawna  Wood (A Girl and Her Books)
*******3.75 Stars*****

A Cry in the Dark is a solid first book in a brand new mystery series. This book is fast-paced and full of action! There is never a dull moment and the author does a great job of keeping you on your toes.

Carly Moore is on the run from her past when she finds herself in a little Tennesse town of Drum and she quickly realizes she may have jumped from one frying pan into another. The drum is a small mountain town that doesn't take kindly to strangers an
Nicki
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book follows Carly Moore to Drum, Tennessee. Carly is on the run, hiding from her powerful father after she found out his secrets. When her car breaks down she has no choice but to stay a while. She wakes up to a noise outside and witnesses a ruthless murder. Carly is the only one who can bring justice for Seth and she is determined to take care of everyone along the way.

Carly is a sweet southern badass. I want to be her when I grow up. She's no damsel in distress, she is the hero! Of cour
Jamie-Kay Whatley Raney
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in Carly's new series. She first appeared in the Rose Gardner Investigation series. However, the author does a good job of catching you up to speed on Carly's backstory, so it's not necessary to have read the other series to understand what's going on. (I do highly recommend it though, because at some point, I think the story lines will re-connect.)
The beginning is reminiscent of how Carly was first introduced in the Rose Gardner investigation series, proving that if
Amanda
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yet another fabulous badass, strong, kind woman to add to Denise’s ever-growing list of series! I just love Carly. I immediately liked her when she was introduced into Rose’s series and the start of her own series continues to show why I adore her. This is a great start to what should be an excellent series. I immediately fell for all of Carly’s friends in Drum. Especially Wyatt! There’s lots of mystery and suspense tangled throughout the book, with a touch of the feels and romance. I was so int ...more
Lynda Custer
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Denise You have done it again! Wow! A Great New Series!
In A Cry In The Dark, Carly is stranded for a second time since she has been on the run from her father. When I met her in Up Shute Creek, she was standing by the side of the road where her car died. This time she is in the mountains of Tennessee enjoying the beautiful fall colors and her car won’t start. Both times the car she was driving had run out of oil and the engine seized.
She is faced again to know who to trust and how much she sho
Ashley Maude-Lecholat
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book! Thank you Denise Grover Swank for introducing us to Carly through the Rose books and now giving Carly her own world! I loved every character in this book. It was also great to see Carly's character mature and grow as she begins to accept her new identity. There is a wonderful love interest and a great supporting cast.
Carly has car trouble once again and it thrusts her into a world and a place filled with strangers. She struggles to remember and keep her new identit
Miranda
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hooked me at the first sentence.
What I love the most about this book is that it is unpredictable. Most stories you know what will happen in the end, this one has surprises and suspense throughout. This was an amazing book and I plan to read it over again since I enjoyed it that much.

Carly is on her way to where she feels she can start a new life with her hidden secrets. Only on her way she is stranded in a small town in Tennessee which has secrets of it’s own. Big ones.
Wyatt is a handsome, br
Angela
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Cry in the Dark is amazing! What a great start to a new series. I am loving Carly's story and excited to see where Denise takes it.

We originally meet Carly in the Rose Gardner Investigation series. Carly is a strong lead female character who isn't afraid to take care of herself. The story is filled with many edge of your seat moments. So many twists throughout the story that I kept second guessing what was going to happen. Needless to say what I had expected to happen didn't and I loved that
Jayme Carruthers
Oh my goodness!!!!

When Carly joined the crew in Henryetta, I knew I was going to like her and want to know more. I was thrilled when I found out Denise Grover Swank gave her her own spin-off series.

Carly ends up stranded in a small town called Drum, Tennessee but small doesn't mean quiet. From the moment she arrives, a series of terrible things start happening around the town. Carly can't help but get caught up in the middle of it, but can she really afford all the extra attention?

Shazza_d2002hotmail.Com
Simply amazing !!!

Wow, I honestly don’t know where to start with how wonderful this book is !! I loved meeting Carly in the Rose Gardner investigation series (also highly recommended) but this book has just brought her to life !! Love all the many different characters we are introduced to and all the twists and turns. This book will have you fall in love with characters but still questioning if you trust them or not. This book has a way of pulling you in and making you feel like you are right t
Laura Martinez
Wow wow wow!!

Where do I begin?!! Pick this new series up. It is absolutely out of this world!! I was unable to put this book down and when I had too, (because of mommy duties) I was constantly thinking about the book and what on earth was Carly going to do!!
This series follows Carly as she travels to her new destination. My jaw dropped several times while reading, and I had a rollercoaster of emotions. I was literally on the edge of my seat. It’s such a nail biter! SO freakin good!
Michelle
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Carly Moore is a woman on the run.

Her car breaks down in the middle of nowhere and she ends up accepting the help of Wyatt Drummond who tows her car to his garage in Drum.

Small towns should be simple but this book is written by Denise Grover Swank so you know before you start reading, that this is going to be a wild ride full of drama, mystery and romance.

As I haven't read the Rose Gardner or Neely Kate series, I wondered if there would be too much back story missing and the short
Sarah German
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely Amazing! I could not wait to read a new series from DGS especially after she gave a sneak peek of the first 2 chapters in her email! DGS first introduced us to Carly through Rose and I am so glad that Carly has her own series after leaving Arkansas. I was hooked from the beginning. Carly is running from her past. Carly finds herself in a new town with new people not knowing who to trust and new secrets! I spent the entire evening in Drum, TN lost in Carly’s world and was unable to put ...more
Kelly Mccurdy
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A new series by Denise and another winner in my book. This story follows Carly as she leave Arkansas and travels through Tennessee. Only her journey is just getting started. A car mishap, and a murder keep her stationary.

This story is captivating. The only reason I didn’t finish last night was because I was so very tired. I could feel the fear, the anguish and the pain that Hank went through. And at the same time, I could feel the determination of Carly to want to try and help.

Denise has writt
Elisa
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was already in love with Carly from the Rose Gardener series so imagine my absolute squeal of delight when I found out Carly was getting her own series!!!! fast forward and here it is I read it... well okay I devoured it way to quickly but honestly it was just that good once I started i could not stop and before I knew it, it was over and I was gasping, full on gasping for breath omg what a thrilling story...

I swear Carly has the worst ever luck with cars I'm thinking she is better
Andrea Hastings
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved A Cry In The Dark. The characters are amazing. I loved getting to know Carly better. Wyatt is a wonderful leading man. Hank, Max, Ruth, and Tiny are all interesting, funny, caring, and I cant wait to learn more about them all. The story had great momentum and kept me guessing and interested. A Cry in the Dark is written so that it is not necessary to read the Rose Gardner books to understand Carly's back story. I loved Carly's story as much as I love Rose. I am so excited to r ...more
Brittany Hebert
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Y’all, this new series is absolutely incredible! Denise knocked it out of the park with A Cry in the Dark. Carly is on the run with a brand new identity, when she finds herself stuck in another small town, called Drum, Tennessee. She thought she escaped the world of crime and murder after leaving Henryetta, but it appears things are just getting started in this Smoky Mountain town. If you’re a Rose fan, you’re definitely going to want to read Carly’s story! They have so many similarities and tru ...more
#ByFelicia
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing!! I just now realized that I finally let out that breathe I’ve been holding. You will hit the ground running and you are literally on the edge of your seat the whole time. The suspense kept me on my toes throughout the entire book. The chemistry between Wyatt and Carly was off the charts intense. The friendships and bonds that are made will give you all the feels. I love this whole cast of characters. This is why Denise Grover Swank is a Queen! This book will knock your soc ...more
Kirsty McAllister
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is everything and more you expect from the queen that is Denise Grover Swank. I struggled abit at the beginning because I'm not used to reading from Carly's point of view but by god am I glad I stuck with it. By the time I got used to it I literally couldn't put the book down there were so many twists and turns and surprises from the characters. I honestly cannot wait for book two in march 2020.
Maria Lewey
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I found it very hard to put down. The characters are very well written. As expected from Denise. If you have never read her books then this is a great book to start with. And if you know and love Denise's works this doesn't disappoint. On the contrary there are a whole new group of characters to love/hate and obbsess over. So many twists and turns to the plot, you will be kept on your toes without being confused. Denise is a master of her craft.
Mona  Brown
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Carly in the other stories and was so excited to learn that she was getting her own series. And let me tell you, this book does not disappoint at all. In true form you will be on the edge of your seat wondering what is going to happen next. Once you start reading it you will be drawn in, and will not be able to put it down until you have devoured the entire thing. The characters, story and everything about it are just amazing. I need more.
Seriously why aren't you reading it now
Angela
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the new spin off series from the Rose Gardener series. Carly has been on the run for months. She found safety with Rose for a bit, but she had to run again. That’s where this book starts. With plenty of drama Carly’s story is pretty fantastic. I’m giving it four stars because I wanted more chemistry between the main characters. The characters are great.
Monica Sarff
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW !

Another page turner from Denise! Strong characters and eventful storylines. Once again, I could not put this book down. Can't wait to see what befall Carly and Wyatt in the next book. Denise never disappoints!!
Angela Page
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! The main character is Carly from the Rose Series. She has left Arkansas and is lost in Tennessee. She is trying to get to Wilmington but she has car trouble again. We get to meet an entire new cast of characters. They are a great bunch, and I can't wait to find out more about them. This book was exciting, and intense. It is a great start to a great new series!!

• Crown of Blood (Book of Sindal 3)
  • Reign of Mist (Book of Sindal Book Two)
  • Descended from Shadows (Book of Sindal Book One)
  • Maeve's Girls
  • Of Blood and Monsters (Piper Lancaster Series)
  • A Lie for a Lie (All In, #1)
  • Lost Secret (The Kiss Chronicles Book 1)
  • Shades of Deceit (Raven Point Pack Trilogy #3)
  • The Dugout (Brentwood Baseball, #2)
  • Vile Sorcery (Royals of Villain Academy, #2)
  • Jilted: Nico and Sophie (Cliffside Bay Book 9)
  • Life on Loan
  • The Upside of Falling (The Blue Line Duet, #1)
  • Special Delivery
  • The Downside of Love (Blue Line Duet, #2)
  • Spellbound (Crossbreed, #8; Mageriverse #22)
  • Love a la Carte (prequel to "the orchard")
  • Mr. Love