Start by marking “The Two Lives of Lydia Bird” as Want to Read:

The Two Lives of Lydia Bird

In this next captivating love story from the #1 New York Times bestselling author of One Day in December, a young woman is reunited with her late fiancé in a parallel life. But is this happy ending the one she really wants?

Lydia and Freddie. Freddie and Lydia. They'd been together for more than a decade, and Lydia thought their love was indestructible.

But she was wrong. On
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by Ballantine Books (first published January 30th 2020)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Mar 03, 2020
    Enter for a chance to win one of 20 advance reader copies of THE TWO LIVES OF LYDIA BIRD by Josie Silver, the #1 New York Times bestselling author of ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 20 copies available, 9049 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 16 - Feb 23, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

Start your review of The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
    Kaceey
    A beautiful, hypnotic love story!

Lucky Lydia! She has it all. Let’s start with her charming Fiancé Freddy, then there’s her best friend (and Freddies’) since they were school kids, Jonah. And let’s not forget her dear mom and sister. She’s positively over-the-moon happy with her picture-perfect life.
    Today is Lydias’ Birthday. But there won’t be anything happy about this day. Life is about to take a serious turn for the worst after her Freddie is involved in a tragic accident

Lydia is in the
    Susanne  Strong
    5 Lovely Lyrical Magical Stars

Do you believe in Magic? In the possibility of getting back the life you lost?

For Lydia Bird, that possibility becomes a reality when her best friend and fiancé Freddie Hunter passes away in a car crash and she discovers a magical way to “be” with him again.

Best Friends, the love of each other's lives, and hopeless romantics. Lydia and Freddie had it all, until one day, that love was taken away from them, leaving Lydia’s life in shambles. Her mother, her sister
    Paromjit
    Josie Silver follows the fabulous One Day in December with this in depth study of the heartbreaking grief and loss experienced by Lydia Bird when on her 28th birthday, her fiance, Freddie Hunter dies in a car accident, whilst his best friend, Jonah Jones, whilst injured, lives to walk free. Lydia lived with Freddie in Shropshire, her whole life had revolved around him since they were fourteen years old at school and they were planning their wedding for the following year. To say that Lydia's ...more
    Emer (A Little Haze)
    'The Two Lives of Lydia Bird' is the new novel by Josie Silver, the author of last year's women's fiction sensation 'One Day in December'. I enjoyed One Day in December but this book...
    This book is on another level compared to that! It is thoroughly gripping and truly emotional.

The story follows the titular Lydia Bird as she struggles to deal with life in the aftermath of her fiancé Freddie's sudden and tragic death. In the waking world we see Lydia shut down and find herself listlessly moving
    Irena BookDustMagic
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Perfection. That is the one word I would use to describe The Two Lives of Lydia Bird.

This novel has stolen my heart with it’s beautiful storyline, with the intensity of emotions it awoke in me.
    I honestly can’t even remember when was the last time I fell in love with the book so hard…

If I’m not mistaken, it was back in 2018 when I read One Day in December, that was one of my favourite reads that year.

If nothing (but it’s not nothing, it’s everything) this book showed just how amazing Josie Silver
    Amanda
    Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    After falling in love with One Day In December, I was thinking this next book couldn’t be as good, but I was thankfully wrong!!

Lydia and Freddie are engaged, their love should last a lifetime but how long is a lifetime? Sadly on Lydia’s birthday, Freddie and his best friend Jonah are involved in a car accident and Freddie dies.

Lydia is a great character, you can really feel her pain and despair at losing her true love. Lydia wants to hide away but with help from friend Jonah and sister Elle,
    Nick
    Nov 22, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    yo I got this ARC and I am going to read the hell out of it
    Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
    <3 4 stars <3

The two lives of Lydia was an emotional ,heartbreaking read but also sweet!My heart broke for Lydia and I was aching for her. The whole book is about Lydia trying to come to terms living without Freddie.

description

There were moments I find myself crying and others that I have a smile on my face.I loved the writing, it was fast paced and the characters were fantastic, not only Lydia but the rest too.

The ending was sweet I just wanted a little bit more of it!This is the reason it wasn't a
    Chelsey
    Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: giveaways-arcs
    and ALL THE FEELS!!!!!!

Lydia and Freddie have been together since they were practically kids. After over a decade together, they’re now engaged and happily planning their future together. On the way to Lydia’s birthday dinner, Freddie dies tragically in a car accident. His best friend Jonah is also in the car but he comes out with nothing but a scratch on his face and a shattered heart for the loss of his best friend.

Lydia’s grief is all consuming. Unable to handle every day life, unable to
    Kendall
    Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
    One Day In December was one of my top books of 2019. I absolutely devoured it! So, of course I was ecstatic to get my hands on Silver's new novel!

Well.... would it be any different for me to be the outlier on a book? Nope haha! I really struggled with this book and was a very very slow burn of a book.

I think the premise of the book was great.... Lydia adjusting to the love of her life Freddie dying in a car accident. The concept of grief and coping is heavy throughout this book and felt more of
    DeAnn
    Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    4.75 swoon worthy stars

I loved Josie Silver’s first book “One Day in December” so I jumped at the chance to read an early release of this one. Now she is on my must-read list! This book was such a romantic, yet heartbreaking story. The ending made me cry! I loved it! (Although the plot sounded a little far-fetched when my daughter asked about the book I was reading)

We have Lydia Bird and her amazing boyfriend/fiancée Freddie – they’ve been together since age 14 and are planning their wedding
    ♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡ (semi-hiatus)
    romance
    intriguing plot
    pretty cover
    written by my five-star author

= must buy
    mahana
    Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    cried all throughout one day in december because of the angst and now I’m crying because I’m so disappointed
    book bruin
    Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I absolutely loved this book. It was poignant and heartbreaking, but also so hopeful and empowering. It resonated so strongly within me that I actually read it slower, so that I could absorb every word. I wouldn't categorize The Two Lives of Lydia Bird as a romance, however, even though there are romance elements. I found it to be more about grief, coping with loss, friendship, and moving forward.

I felt so many emotions reading this book and was drawn into Lydia's story immediately. The writing
    Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
    Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
    description

4.5 Stars

‘You don’t get over losing someone you love in six months or two years or twenty, but you do have to find a way to carry on living without feeling as if everything that comes afterwards is second best. Some people walk up mountains, others throw themselves out of planes. Everyone has to find their own way back, and if they’re lucky, they’ll have people who love them to hold their hand.’

At 6.47pm on 14th March 2018 Lydia Bird’s life changed forever, and on a day in December 2019, Josie
    Jamie beauty_andthebook_
    Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arcs
    The Two Lives of Lydia Bird shows the incredible versatility of Josie Silver as an author. I definitely picked this one up expecting a story similar to One Day in December (one of my favorites of 2018) and what I was was a story of love, loss and finding oneself again.

TTLoLB tugged at my heartstrings again and again and moved me to tears. Lydia, is straddling two worlds, a dreamlike world where her fiance is alive, and reality, where he has died and she is alone and suffering. Like most of us,
    Melike
    Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: romance, netgalley
    I am sorry to say I could not get into this book at all. The parallel universe of Freddy and Lydia just did not vibe with me, I could not see the purpose of it. The "awake" chapters were better, but even then they did not hold my interest. I was expecting more of a typical romance and this book was not it for me. However, fans of Josie Silver and contemporary romances may like it and should read it.

Thank you to Random House Ballantine and Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
    Michelle
    Nov 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: march-2020-reads
    NOT ONLY IS MARCH THIRD THE BEST DAY OF THE YEAR & MY BIRTHDAY - IT IS THE PUB DATE OF A MILLION GREAT BOOKS!!!
    Tinichix (nicole)
    Some books come along at just the right time, and this book came at the perfect time for me. We just clicked. I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve cried. It only took me about 20 pages to develop giant alligator tears. Wow she took a hold of the heart strings right away and just pulled. I think anyone who has loved, lost someone, or even both, will be able to relate to a lot of feelings and emotions in this book. But it’s not all a downer. It’s a beautiful story with incredible characters. It ...more
    Laura • lauralovestoread
    Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
    4.5 stars!! I adored One Day in December, and was so excited to read the upcoming release by Josie Silver. From the cover you would think that this was a sugary love story, but it was so much more than that!

This book went so much deeper with themes of grief, loss and true love set the course for this story. You find that when you lose someone you still have to go on, picking yourself up piece by piece. My heart broke for Lydia as her life shatters, and Josie Silver has done it again with
    Jessica Jeffers
    Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: fiction, arc-physical
    I went into this with a bit of skepticism because I kind of hated the author's first book, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it.
    Brandie
    Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This book was so heartbreaking but so good. Loved it.
    Kari Ann Sweeney
    Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I loved One Day in December and intentionally sought (begged for) an ARC of Josie Silver's latest release. When it arrived in the mail I simultaneously gasped and mentally cleared my schedule for the next day and a half. I loved it.

While I am a big fan of the cover, don't be deceived into thinking this is a light, breezy rom-com. There are certainly undertones of humor, love and heart, but there are serious themes happening as well. The chapters alternate between "awake" and "asleep" as Lydia
    Evie Braithwaite
    Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    How could I not give this book 5 stars?

I finished this book misty-eyed and hopeful, just as I anticipated I would. When Freddie Hunter dies in a car accident, Lydia spirals into despair and the prospect of adjusting to a life without her fiancé is unimaginable. However, Lydia discovers a way to return to a world where her teenager sweetheart is alive and none of the tragic events of the past few months has happened. Lydia is living two lives at once, but at what cost?

My heart broke for Lydia.
    Katie
    Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Once again this wonderful author has pulled at my heart strings and reduced me into an emotional wreck. A lovely chic lit book filled with love, loss, heartbreak, new beginnings, questions, tears and laughter. I loved the main character and I enjoyed how the story was told in two different ways. To begin with I did find the whole dream world and different life a little bit cliche however the further I got into the story the more I found myself enjoying it and it really made the reader see that ...more
    Latanya (Crafty Scribbles)
    Unfortunately, this story did not hit home like One Day in December, which is sad considering how much I liked that one. The story's okay, but nothing to actively seek out, if one's looking for a romance.

In fact, I wouldn't call this a romance, but a contemporary/realistic fictional tale. A bit bland and slow, with too many false endings and a lot of overwriting, I have to give Lydia Bird and her lives a 3/5. The premise worked in theory, but did not see it's promise on the page.

*Thanks to
    Jen | mamajustwantstoread
    Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Books about grief always wreck me, especially when written gut wrenchingly well. Lydia's grief is like a living being within the book. After her fiance dies the grief becomes part of who she is. Despite the bright cover The Two Lives of Lydia Bird is heartbreaking. I cried on and off basically through out the whole book but It's also hopeful. The supporting cast of family and friends in Lydia's life help warm up this otherwise sad book. I loved her relationship with her sister and how her ...more
    Karen Whittard
    Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Oh this book is just beautiful. Beware you need massive amounts of tissues to get through this book. But boy is it 100% worth it. I laughed, I cried and I was heartbroken and then fixed again. This book is beautiful.
    Jenn (Jenn’s Bookshelf)
    4.5/5

eARC WAS PROVIDED TO ME BY THE PUBLISHER AND NETGALLEY FOR A FAIR AND HONEST REVIEW
    ... (very light spoilers ahead) ...

Let me just start off this review by saying - WOW. That’s the word I had in my mind the entire time I was reading Josie Silver’s book, because quite honestly? This book was fabulous. From the get go, it is chalk full of emotion so well written that you feel as though your heart has been sucker punched about eight hundred times. In the best way, of course.

Before I had picked
    Leigh
    Feb 13, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: 2020
    Lydia and Freddie. Freddie and Lydia. They've been together for almost a decade, and Lydia thinks their love is indestructible.

But she's wrong. Because on her 27th birthday, Freddie dies in a tragic accident.

So now it's just Lydia, and all she wants to do is hide indoors and sob 'til her eyes fall out. But Lydia knows that Freddie would want her to live her life well. So, enlisting the help of his best friend and her sister Elle, she takes her first tentative steps into the world and starts to
    Josie Silver is an unashamed romantic who met her husband when she stepped on his foot on his twenty-first birthday. She lives with him, her two young sons, and their cats in a little midlands town in England.

• In Five Years
    • The Temple House Vanishing
    • The 24-Hour Café
    • All About Us
    • The Honey-Don't List
    • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
    • Mix Tape
    • Grown Ups
    • Three Hours
    • Little White Lies
    • My One Month Marriage: The brand new uplifting page-turner from #1 bestseller Shari Low
    • The Authenticity Project