Start by marking “The Two Lives of Lydia Bird” as Want to Read:

The Two Lives of Lydia Bird

In this next captivating love story from the #1 New York Times bestselling author of One Day in December, a young woman is reunited with her late fiancé in a parallel life. But is this happy ending the one she really wants?

Lydia and Freddie. Freddie and Lydia. They'd been together for more than a decade, and Lydia thought their love was indestructible.

But she was wrong. On
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by Ballantine Books (first published January 30th 2020)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Mar 03, 2020
    Enter for a chance to win one of 20 advance reader copies of THE TWO LIVES OF LYDIA BIRD by Josie Silver, the #1 New York Times bestselling author of ...more

Format: Print book

• Friend Reviews

Start your review of The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
    Susanne  Strong
    5 Lovely Lyrical Magical Stars

Do you believe in Magic? In the possibility of getting back the life you lost?

For Lydia Bird, that possibility becomes a reality when her best friend and fiancé Freddie Hunter passes away in a car crash and she discovers a magical way to “be” with him again.

Best Friends, the love of each other's lives, and hopeless romantics. Lydia and Freddie had it all, until one day, that love was taken away from them, leaving Lydia’s life in shambles. Her mother, her sister
    Paromjit
    Josie Silver follows the fabulous One Day in December with this in depth study of the heartbreaking grief and loss experienced by Lydia Bird when on her 28th birthday, her fiance, Freddie Hunter dies in a car accident, whilst his best friend, Jonah Jones, whilst injured, lives to walk free. Lydia lived with Freddie in Shropshire, her whole life had revolved around him since they were fourteen years old at school and they were planning their wedding for the following year. To say that Lydia's ...more
    Kaceey
    A beautiful, hypnotic love story!

Lucky Lydia! She has it all. Let’s start with her charming Fiancé Freddy, then there’s her best friend (and Freddies’) since they were school kids, Jonah. And let’s not forget her dear mom and sister. She’s positively over-the-moon happy with her picture-perfect life.
    Today is Lydias’ Birthday. But there won’t be anything happy about this day. Life is about to take a serious turn for the worst after her Freddie is involved in a tragic accident

Lydia is in the
    Irena BookDustMagic
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I loved this book oh so much!
    It's such a beautiful story...
    It even made me cry, but also filled my heart with hope.

I think it's save to say I LOVE Josie Silver. Last year she took my heart with One Day in December, and now this...

Really, where does she gets her ideas from?
    I'm not complaining, I hope she'll keep them coming our way....
    Right now, I feel like she's a star that shines on my reading life...

Guys, if you can, pre-order this novel. You won't regret it!

Full review to come at some point
    Amanda
    Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    After falling in love with One Day In December, I was thinking this next book couldn’t be as good, but I was thankfully wrong!!

Lydia and Freddie are engaged, their love should last a lifetime but how long is a lifetime? Sadly on Lydia’s birthday, Freddie and his best friend Jonah are involved in a car accident and Freddie dies.

Lydia is a great character, you can really feel her pain and despair at losing her true love. Lydia wants to hide away but with help from friend Jonah and sister Elle,
    Emer (A Little Haze)
    'The Two Lives of Lydia Bird' is the new novel by Josie Silver, the author of last year's women's fiction sensation 'One Day in December'. I enjoyed One Day in December but this book...
    This book is on another level compared to that! It is thoroughly gripping and truly emotional.

The story follows the titular Lydia Bird as she struggles to deal with life in the aftermath of her fiancé Freddie's sudden and tragic death. In the waking world we see Lydia shut down and find herself listlessly moving
    Nick
    Nov 22, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Josie Silver's books are perfect for winter
    ♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡ (semi-hiatus)
    romance
    intriguing plot
    pretty cover
    written by my five-star author

= must buy
    Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    cried all throughout one day in december because of the angst and now I’m crying because I’m so disappointed
    Brandie
    Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This book was so heartbreaking but so good. Loved it.
    Jen | mamajustwantstoread
    Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Books about grief always wreck me, especially when written gut wrenchingly well. Lydia's grief is like a living being within the book. After her fiance dies the grief becomes part of who she is. Despite the bright cover The Two Lives of Lydia Bird is heartbreaking. I cried on and off basically through out the whole book but It's also hopeful. The supporting cast of family and friends in Lydia's life help warm up this otherwise sad book. I loved her relationship with her sister and how her ...more
    Michelle
    Nov 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: march-2020-reads
    NOT ONLY IS MARCH THIRD THE BEST DAY OF THE YEAR & MY BIRTHDAY - IT IS THE PUB DATE OF A MILLION GREAT BOOKS!!!
    Kendall
    Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
    One Day In December was one of my top books of 2019. I absolutely devoured it! So, of course I was ecstatic to get my hands on Silver's new novel!

Well.... would it be any different for me to be the outlier on a book? Nope haha! I really struggled with this book and was a very very slow burn of a book.

I think the premise of the book was great.... Lydia adjusting to the love of her life Freddie dying in a car accident. The concept of grief and coping is heavy throughout this book and felt more of
    Evie Braithwaite
    Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    How could I not give this book 5 stars?

I finished this book misty-eyed and hopeful, just as I anticipated I would. When Freddie Hunter dies in a car accident, Lydia spirals into despair and the prospect of adjusting to a life without her fiancé is unimaginable. However, Lydia discovers a way to return to a world where her teenager sweetheart is alive and none of the tragic events of the past few months has happened. Lydia is living two lives at once, but at what cost?

My heart broke for Lydia.
    Pallavi
    DNF at 20%

The premise of this book sounded amazing, and I really wanted to love it, but I couldn't get invested in the story. A huge positive of this book is that it's an honest representation of the grieving process, but for that same reason it seemed to drag on and it was difficult to motivate myself to keep reading. However, the characters are well-written and three-dimensional. Their kaleidoscope of emotions are brilliantly portrayed, and I thought the alternating "awake" and "asleep"
    Sara Oxton
    Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    The Two Lives of Lydia Bird by Josie Silver a five-star read that may just be the best read of 2020. I adored One day in December so had such high hopes of this story, and I was not disappointed, Josie Silver writes about grief and loss in such a caring and compassionate way, they just made it so easy to understand where Lydia is coming from, you feel her heart breaking, you will cry buckets along side her. This is a great story and one that you can’t miss, there is a story within the story, and ...more
    Karen Whittard
    Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Oh this book is just beautiful. Beware you need massive amounts of tissues to get through this book. But boy is it 100% worth it. I laughed, I cried and I was heartbroken and then fixed again. This book is beautiful.
    Taylor Noel
    Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I loved it Josie Silver's THE TWO LIVES OF LYDIA BIRD so much. I was a huge ONE DAY IN DECEMBER fan and was a little nervous this one wouldn’t hold up. But it definitely does.

I fell in love with LYDIA BIRD for all the same reasons I did ONE DAY—the characters, the fluid storytelling, the emotional connection, and the happy ending. This is such a sweet love story that completely transported me into Lydia’s life. I felt emotionally invested in Lydia’s story, and I enjoyed every minute of her
    Jenna
    Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    I cannot begin to tell you how excited I was to receive this ARC from the publisher. It was as if Christmas had come early this year. Thank you so much Penguin Random House / Ballantine Books for the opportunity to read and review this book prior to its publication.

My rating is truly floating between 4 and 4 Stars. There was a lot to love about this book.

The Concept- The concept of this book was creative but reminiscent of something I read and loved earlier in the year. That book was The Life
    Tracy
    Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it

While I liked One Day in December more than I liked this, Josie Silver really does know how to tell the hell out of a story.

This one was a bit uneven for me, but I did find myself thinking about it a lot when I wasn’t reading it. I enjoy escaping into the stories Josie writes, and this one had an added layer of “escape.”
    Arriann
    Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it

I read an ARC version of this book and found it utterly enjoyable. It's set up like many books about alternate lives/paths, but had it's own style and wit. I loved watching Lydia grow through loss and become comfortable in her own skin. It was cute and funny but still real and poignant.
    Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Overall I really enjoyed the story and I think the course of Lydia’s real life was well written however I just found it more of a slog to read than I’d expected although I genuinely don’t understand why, I liked the characters, it’s very well written and the story follows a good course. I think many people will enjoy this but for some reason it just didn’t resonate with me.
    Belinda Missen
    Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Let me go have a cup of tea and a lie down so I can calm down before I write my review.

Update: I didn't get my lie down, but I have got a cup of tea, so let me see if I can get my thoughts into words.

I understand that, after the phenomenon of One Day In December everyone will be watching this book with bated breath, just to see if it can live up to the sparkling beauty of its predecessor. Hint: it does.

The deets: Lydia Bird has lost the love of her life, Freddie Hunter. Through the use of an
    The Bookend Diner
    Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it

Thank you Ballantine Books for gifting me an advanced copy of Josie Silver’s newest novel, The Two Lives of Lydia Bird.

Oh, you all. This book was beautiful. Within the first 100 pages, I found myself crying on multiple occasions; Josie Silver knows how to write a book that hits you right in the heart.

For those of us who have lost someone, someone who we deeply loved, I’m sure the thought has crossed our minds as to how much we would love to have just one more day… one more conversation with our
    Rachel
    Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    The Two Lives of Lydia Bird by Josie Silver is a great romantic read that delves also into the grief process after acutely losing the love of your life.

In this story, we find Lydia at a total loss after losing her fiancé, Freddie, in an MVC. He died, his passenger and friend, Jonah did. This is the story of acceptance and learning to live the life given despite being dealt a huge blow.

The pace of this book is more of a slow burn. I truly enjoyed the concept of alternating chapters of “Awake”
    Lindsey
    Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
    The Two Lives of Lydia Bird surely has an interesting premise: after the life-shattering death of Lydia's fiancé, she copes by visiting an alternate realty where Freddie is still alive and life, albeit slightly differently, continues on. The Two Lives of Lydia Bird focuses around grief and ways in which to cope with that grief. This book was pretty heavy and didn't include too many light-hearted moments to break up all of the darkness. I wasn't a huge fan of any particular character in this ...more
    Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Oh my goodness. I needed that. I had an idea pretty early on how it was going to end but it was even more wonderful than I imagined. One Day in December was so good that I worried whether Josie could match it. She did. The Two Lives of Lydia Bird is just as good if not even better! This book is about love and loss and change. There’s something here that every single person can relate to. I had several little cries while reading this book and I’d do it all again. Nothing felt unnecessary. ...more
    Cassidy Green
    Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This book was absolutely wonderful. I cried through the first 25% (truly, I sobbed) and the grief that Josie Silver was able to encapsulate felt so raw and painful that it was almost hard to continue. But I did continue, and I’m glad that I did. This book has touched of cliche at times, but in a nice way that helps soothe the pain that the reader feels for the characters. It’s a book that paints a very real view of a very painful topic, but it leaves you with hope and awe. I really loved this ...more
    Victoria Frow
    Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Very good. This book is just so good as it takes you on such an emotional journey you feel like you are one of the characters and you experience every emotion within you and just keep wanting more once it's finished. Josie Silver is such a wonderful author and she is getting better with each book. Grab yourself a copy either on Kindle (30th Jan 2020) or Paperback (3rd March 2020). Thank you Penquin via Netgalley for the free copy.
    Brooke
    Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Josie Silver has clinched her role as a “must read” author for me with The Two Lives of Lydia Bird. This is a book about grief and love and second chances. With a dash of magical realism, Silver explores the love Lydia had with her childhood sweetheart Freddie and what loving again could look like. The time-shifting narration did take me a bit to settle into at first, but I was captivated once I did.

Many thanks to the author, the publisher, and NetGalley, for providing me with a copy of this
    « previous 1 3 4 5 next »
    Josie Silver is an unashamed romantic who met her husband when she stepped on his foot on his twenty-first birthday. She lives with him, her two young sons, and their cats in a little midlands town in England.

• Unexpected Lessons in Love
    • The Honey-Don't List
    • Grown-Ups
    • In Five Years
    • Darling Rose Gold
    • All About Us
    • The Dilemma
    • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
    • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)
    • The Other People