Start by marking “The Two Lives of Lydia Bird” as Want to Read:

The Two Lives of Lydia Bird

In this next captivating love story from the #1 New York Times bestselling author of One Day in December, a young woman is reunited with her late fiancé in a parallel life. But is this happy ending the one she really wants?

Lydia and Freddie. Freddie and Lydia. They'd been together for more than a decade, and Lydia thought their love was indestructible.

But she was wrong. On
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by Ballantine Books (first published January 30th 2020)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Mar 03, 2020
    Enter for a chance to win one of 20 advance reader copies of THE TWO LIVES OF LYDIA BIRD by Josie Silver, the #1 New York Times bestselling author of ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 20 copies available, 7352 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 16 - Feb 23, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

Start your review of The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
    Kaceey
    A beautiful, hypnotic love story!

Lucky Lydia! She has it all. Let’s start with her charming Fiancé Freddy, then there’s her best friend (and Freddies’) since they were school kids, Jonah. And let’s not forget her dear mom and sister. She’s positively over-the-moon happy with her picture-perfect life.
    Today is Lydias’ Birthday. But there won’t be anything happy about this day. Life is about to take a serious turn for the worst after her Freddie is involved in a tragic accident

Lydia is in the
    Susanne  Strong
    5 Lovely Lyrical Magical Stars

Do you believe in Magic? In the possibility of getting back the life you lost?

For Lydia Bird, that possibility becomes a reality when her best friend and fiancé Freddie Hunter passes away in a car crash and she discovers a magical way to “be” with him again.

Best Friends, the love of each other's lives, and hopeless romantics. Lydia and Freddie had it all, until one day, that love was taken away from them, leaving Lydia’s life in shambles. Her mother, her sister
    Paromjit
    Josie Silver follows the fabulous One Day in December with this in depth study of the heartbreaking grief and loss experienced by Lydia Bird when on her 28th birthday, her fiance, Freddie Hunter dies in a car accident, whilst his best friend, Jonah Jones, whilst injured, lives to walk free. Lydia lived with Freddie in Shropshire, her whole life had revolved around him since they were fourteen years old at school and they were planning their wedding for the following year. To say that Lydia's ...more
    Emer (A Little Haze)
    'The Two Lives of Lydia Bird' is the new novel by Josie Silver, the author of last year's women's fiction sensation 'One Day in December'. I enjoyed One Day in December but this book...
    This book is on another level compared to that! It is thoroughly gripping and truly emotional.

The story follows the titular Lydia Bird as she struggles to deal with life in the aftermath of her fiancé Freddie's sudden and tragic death. In the waking world we see Lydia shut down and find herself listlessly moving
    Irena BookDustMagic
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Perfection. That is the one word I would use to describe The Two Lives of Lydia Bird.

This novel has stolen my heart with it’s beautiful storyline, with the intensity of emotions it awoke in me.
    I honestly can’t even remember when was the last time I fell in love with the book so hard…

If I’m not mistaken, it was back in 2018 when I read One Day in December, that was one of my favourite reads that year.

If nothing (but it’s not nothing, it’s everything) this book showed just how amazing Josie Silver
    Amanda
    Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    After falling in love with One Day In December, I was thinking this next book couldn’t be as good, but I was thankfully wrong!!

Lydia and Freddie are engaged, their love should last a lifetime but how long is a lifetime? Sadly on Lydia’s birthday, Freddie and his best friend Jonah are involved in a car accident and Freddie dies.

Lydia is a great character, you can really feel her pain and despair at losing her true love. Lydia wants to hide away but with help from friend Jonah and sister Elle,
    Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
    <3 4 stars <3

The two lives of Lydia was an emotional ,heartbreaking read but also sweet!My heart broke for Lydia and I was aching for her. The whole book is about Lydia trying to come to terms living without Freddie.

description

There were moments I find myself crying and others that I have a smile on my face.I loved the writing, it was fast paced and the characters were fantastic, not only Lydia but the rest too.

The ending was sweet I just wanted a little bit more of it!This is the reason it wasn't a
    Nick
    Nov 22, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    yo I got this ARC and I am going to read the hell out of it
    Chelsey
    Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: giveaways-arcs
    and ALL THE FEELS!!!!!!

Lydia and Freddie have been together since they were practically kids. After over a decade together, they’re now engaged and happily planning their future together. On the way to Lydia’s birthday dinner, Freddie dies tragically in a car accident. His best friend Jonah is also in the car but he comes out with nothing but a scratch on his face and a shattered heart for the loss of his best friend.

Lydia’s grief is all consuming. Unable to handle every day life, unable to
    Kendall
    Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
    One Day In December was one of my top books of 2019. I absolutely devoured it! So, of course I was ecstatic to get my hands on Silver's new novel!

Well.... would it be any different for me to be the outlier on a book? Nope haha! I really struggled with this book and was a very very slow burn of a book.

I think the premise of the book was great.... Lydia adjusting to the love of her life Freddie dying in a car accident. The concept of grief and coping is heavy throughout this book and felt more of
    DeAnn
    Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    4.75 swoon worthy stars

I loved Josie Silver’s first book “One Day in December” so I jumped at the chance to read an early release of this one. Now she is on my must-read list! This book was such a romantic, yet heartbreaking story. The ending made me cry! I loved it! (Although the plot sounded a little far-fetched when my daughter asked about the book I was reading)

We have Lydia Bird and her amazing boyfriend/fiancée Freddie – they’ve been together since age 14 and are planning their wedding
    ♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡ (semi-hiatus)
    romance
    intriguing plot
    pretty cover
    written by my five-star author

= must buy
    Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
    Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
    description

4.5 Stars

‘You don’t get over losing someone you love in six months or two years or twenty, but you do have to find a way to carry on living without feeling as if everything that comes afterwards is second best. Some people walk up mountains, others throw themselves out of planes. Everyone has to find their own way back, and if they’re lucky, they’ll have people who love them to hold their hand.’

At 6.47pm on 14th March 2018 Lydia Bird’s life changed forever, and on a day in December 2019, Josie
    Jamie beauty_andthebook_
    Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arcs
    The Two Lives of Lydia Bird shows the incredible versatility of Josie Silver as an author. I definitely picked this one up expecting a story similar to One Day in December (one of my favorites of 2018) and what I was was a story of love, loss and finding oneself again.

TTLoLB tugged at my heartstrings again and again and moved me to tears. Lydia, is straddling two worlds, a dreamlike world where her fiance is alive, and reality, where he has died and she is alone and suffering. Like most of us,
    mahana
    Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    cried all throughout one day in december because of the angst and now I’m crying because I’m so disappointed
    Jessica Jeffers
    Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: fiction, arc-physical
    I went into this with a bit of skepticism because I kind of hated the author's first book, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it.
    Michelle
    Nov 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: march-2020-reads
    NOT ONLY IS MARCH THIRD THE BEST DAY OF THE YEAR & MY BIRTHDAY - IT IS THE PUB DATE OF A MILLION GREAT BOOKS!!!
    Melike
    Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: romance, netgalley
    I am sorry to say I could not get into this book at all. The parallel universe of Freddy and Lydia just did not vibe with me, I could not see the purpose of it. The "awake" chapters were better, but even then they did not hold my interest. I was expecting more of a typical romance and this book was not it for me. However, fans of Josie Silver and contemporary romances may like it and should read it.

Thank you to Random House Ballantine and Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
    Brandie
    Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This book was so heartbreaking but so good. Loved it.
    Evie Braithwaite
    Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    How could I not give this book 5 stars?

I finished this book misty-eyed and hopeful, just as I anticipated I would. When Freddie Hunter dies in a car accident, Lydia spirals into despair and the prospect of adjusting to a life without her fiancé is unimaginable. However, Lydia discovers a way to return to a world where her teenager sweetheart is alive and none of the tragic events of the past few months has happened. Lydia is living two lives at once, but at what cost?

My heart broke for Lydia.
    Jen | mamajustwantstoread
    Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Books about grief always wreck me, especially when written gut wrenchingly well. Lydia's grief is like a living being within the book. After her fiance dies the grief becomes part of who she is. Despite the bright cover The Two Lives of Lydia Bird is heartbreaking. I cried on and off basically through out the whole book but It's also hopeful. The supporting cast of family and friends in Lydia's life help warm up this otherwise sad book. I loved her relationship with her sister and how her ...more
    Jamie
    Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    My second five star read of the year! I couldn’t put this down and fell in love with Lydia, my heart broke with her and laughed with her. I loved her awake and asleep worlds- I so wanted Freddie just to be there! But I wanted Lydia and Jonah to hurry up and get together! I thought this 2nd book by Josie Silver was fantastic- quick and fun even though the subject was deep. Loved this book!
    Thanks to Netgalley for my advanced ebook copy.
    Jenn (Jenn’s Bookshelf)
    4.5/5

eARC WAS PROVIDED TO ME BY THE PUBLISHER AND NETGALLEY FOR A FAIR AND HONEST REVIEW
    ... (very light spoilers ahead) ...

Let me just start off this review by saying - WOW. That’s the word I had in my mind the entire time I was reading Josie Silver’s book, because quite honestly? This book was fabulous. From the get go, it is chalk full of emotion so well written that you feel as though your heart has been sucker punched about eight hundred times. In the best way, of course.

Before I had picked
    Pallavi
    DNF at 20%

The premise of this book sounded amazing, and I really wanted to love it, but I couldn't get invested in the story. A huge positive of this book is that it's an honest representation of the grieving process, but for that same reason it seemed to drag on and it was difficult to motivate myself to keep reading. However, the characters are well-written and three-dimensional. Their kaleidoscope of emotions are brilliantly portrayed, and I thought the alternating "awake" and "asleep"
    Rachel
    Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    The Two Lives of Lydia Bird by Josie Silver is a great romantic read that delves also into the grief process after acutely losing the love of your life.

In this story, we find Lydia at a total loss after losing her fiancé, Freddie, in an MVC. He died, his passenger and friend, Jonah did. This is the story of acceptance and learning to live the life given despite being dealt a huge blow.

The pace of this book is more of a slow burn. I truly enjoyed the concept of alternating chapters of “Awake”
    Christine Moore
    Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    Lydia and Freddie are engaged and been together for years. On Lydia's 28th birthday, Freddie is killed in a car accident. Lydia is given sleeping pills to help her sleep. While sleeping, she is reunited with Freddie. It is like he never died. Lydia wants to sleep her life away and be with Freddie. While awake she must face the truth that Freddie is gone. I loved this book and its characters. Lydia is so real and vulnerable. You feel everything Lydia does. Her happiness that Freddie is alive in ...more
    Emandherbooks
    Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This book made my heart ache, it had pure raw emotion and was simply beautiful. Perfectly written and wonderfully ended! I would recommend in a heart beat.
    Sara Oxton
    Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    The Two Lives of Lydia Bird by Josie Silver a five-star read that may just be the best read of 2020. I adored One day in December so had such high hopes of this story, and I was not disappointed, Josie Silver writes about grief and loss in such a caring and compassionate way, they just made it so easy to understand where Lydia is coming from, you feel her heart breaking, you will cry buckets along side her. This is a great story and one that you can’t miss, there is a story within the story, and ...more
    Jenna
    Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    I cannot begin to tell you how excited I was to receive this ARC from the publisher. It was as if Christmas had come early this year. Thank you so much Penguin Random House / Ballantine Books for the opportunity to read and review this book prior to its publication.

My rating is truly floating between 4 and 4 Stars. There was a lot to love about this book.

The Concept- The concept of this book was creative but reminiscent of something I read and loved earlier in the year. That book was The Life
    Lindsey
    Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
    The Two Lives of Lydia Bird surely has an interesting premise: after the life-shattering death of Lydia's fiancé, she copes by visiting an alternate realty where Freddie is still alive and life, albeit slightly differently, continues on. The Two Lives of Lydia Bird focuses around grief and ways in which to cope with that grief. This book was pretty heavy and didn't include too many light-hearted moments to break up all of the darkness. I wasn't a huge fan of any particular character in this ...more
    Josie Silver is an unashamed romantic who met her husband when she stepped on his foot on his twenty-first birthday. She lives with him, her two young sons, and their cats in a little midlands town in England.

• Unexpected Lessons in Love