Start by marking “The Two Lives of Lydia Bird” as Want to Read:
The Two Lives of Lydia Bird

The Two Lives of Lydia Bird

In this next captivating love story from the #1 New York Times bestselling author of One Day in December, a young woman is reunited with her late fiancé in a parallel life. But is this happy ending the one she really wants?

Lydia and Freddie. Freddie and Lydia. They'd been together for more than a decade, and Lydia thought their love was indestructible.

But she was wrong. On
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by Ballantine Books (first published January 30th 2020)

Start your review of The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
Kaceey
A beautiful, hypnotic love story!

Lucky Lydia! She has it all. Let’s start with her charming Fiancé Freddy, then there’s her best friend (and Freddies’) since they were school kids, Jonah. And let’s not forget her dear mom and sister. She’s positively over-the-moon happy with her picture-perfect life.
Today is Lydias’ Birthday. But there won’t be anything happy about this day. Life is about to take a serious turn for the worst after her Freddie is involved in a tragic accident

Lydia is in the
Susanne  Strong
5 Lovely Lyrical Magical Stars

Do you believe in Magic? In the possibility of getting back the life you lost?

For Lydia Bird, that possibility becomes a reality when her best friend and fiancé Freddie Hunter passes away in a car crash and she discovers a magical way to “be” with him again.

Best Friends, the love of each other's lives, and hopeless romantics. Lydia and Freddie had it all, until one day, that love was taken away from them, leaving Lydia’s life in shambles. Her mother, her sister
Paromjit
Josie Silver follows the fabulous One Day in December with this in depth study of the heartbreaking grief and loss experienced by Lydia Bird when on her 28th birthday, her fiance, Freddie Hunter dies in a car accident, whilst his best friend, Jonah Jones, whilst injured, lives to walk free. Lydia lived with Freddie in Shropshire, her whole life had revolved around him since they were fourteen years old at school and they were planning their wedding for the following year. To say that Lydia's ...more
Emer (A Little Haze)
'The Two Lives of Lydia Bird' is the new novel by Josie Silver, the author of last year's women's fiction sensation 'One Day in December'. I enjoyed One Day in December but this book...
This book is on another level compared to that! It is thoroughly gripping and truly emotional.

The story follows the titular Lydia Bird as she struggles to deal with life in the aftermath of her fiancé Freddie's sudden and tragic death. In the waking world we see Lydia shut down and find herself listlessly moving
Irena BookDustMagic
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book oh so much!
It's such a beautiful story...
It even made me cry, but also filled my heart with hope.

I think it's save to say I LOVE Josie Silver. Last year she took my heart with One Day in December, and now this...

Really, where does she gets her ideas from?
I'm not complaining, I hope she'll keep them coming our way....
Right now, I feel like she's a star that shines on my reading life...

Guys, if you can, pre-order this novel. You won't regret it!

Full review to come at some point
Amanda
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After falling in love with One Day In December, I was thinking this next book couldn’t be as good, but I was thankfully wrong!!

Lydia and Freddie are engaged, their love should last a lifetime but how long is a lifetime? Sadly on Lydia’s birthday, Freddie and his best friend Jonah are involved in a car accident and Freddie dies.

Lydia is a great character, you can really feel her pain and despair at losing her true love. Lydia wants to hide away but with help from friend Jonah and sister Elle,
Nick
Nov 22, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Josie Silver's books are perfect for winter
Kendall
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
One Day In December was one of my top books of 2019. I absolutely devoured it! So, of course I was ecstatic to get my hands on Silver's new novel!

Well.... would it be any different for me to be the outlier on a book? Nope haha! I really struggled with this book and was a very very slow burn of a book.

I think the premise of the book was great.... Lydia adjusting to the love of her life Freddie dying in a car accident. The concept of grief and coping is heavy throughout this book and felt more of
♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡ (semi-hiatus)
romance
intriguing plot
pretty cover
written by my five-star author

= must buy
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
description

4.5 Stars

‘You don’t get over losing someone you love in six months or two years or twenty, but you do have to find a way to carry on living without feeling as if everything that comes afterwards is second best. Some people walk up mountains, others throw themselves out of planes. Everyone has to find their own way back, and if they’re lucky, they’ll have people who love them to hold their hand.’

At 6.47pm on 14th March 2018 Lydia Bird’s life changed forever, and on a day in December 2019, Josie
✿
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
cried all throughout one day in december because of the angst and now I’m crying because I’m so disappointed
Melike
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, netgalley
I am sorry to say I could not get into this book at all. The parallel universe of Freddy and Lydia just did not vibe with me, I could not see the purpose of it. The "awake" chapters were better, but even then they did not hold my interest. I was expecting more of a typical romance and this book was not it for me. However, fans of Josie Silver and contemporary romances may like it and should read it.

Thank you to Random House Ballantine and Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Jessica Jeffers
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, arc-physical
I went into this with a bit of skepticism because I kind of hated the author's first book, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it.
Brandie
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so heartbreaking but so good. Loved it.
Michelle
Nov 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: march-2020-reads
NOT ONLY IS MARCH THIRD THE BEST DAY OF THE YEAR & MY BIRTHDAY - IT IS THE PUB DATE OF A MILLION GREAT BOOKS!!!
Jen | mamajustwantstoread
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Books about grief always wreck me, especially when written gut wrenchingly well. Lydia's grief is like a living being within the book. After her fiance dies the grief becomes part of who she is. Despite the bright cover The Two Lives of Lydia Bird is heartbreaking. I cried on and off basically through out the whole book but It's also hopeful. The supporting cast of family and friends in Lydia's life help warm up this otherwise sad book. I loved her relationship with her sister and how her ...more
Evie Braithwaite
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How could I not give this book 5 stars?

I finished this book misty-eyed and hopeful, just as I anticipated I would. When Freddie Hunter dies in a car accident, Lydia spirals into despair and the prospect of adjusting to a life without her fiancé is unimaginable. However, Lydia discovers a way to return to a world where her teenager sweetheart is alive and none of the tragic events of the past few months has happened. Lydia is living two lives at once, but at what cost?

My heart broke for Lydia.
Pallavi
DNF at 20%

The premise of this book sounded amazing, and I really wanted to love it, but I couldn't get invested in the story. A huge positive of this book is that it's an honest representation of the grieving process, but for that same reason it seemed to drag on and it was difficult to motivate myself to keep reading. However, the characters are well-written and three-dimensional. Their kaleidoscope of emotions are brilliantly portrayed, and I thought the alternating "awake" and "asleep"
Jamie
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My second five star read of the year! I couldn’t put this down and fell in love with Lydia, my heart broke with her and laughed with her. I loved her awake and asleep worlds- I so wanted Freddie just to be there! But I wanted Lydia and Jonah to hurry up and get together! I thought this 2nd book by Josie Silver was fantastic- quick and fun even though the subject was deep. Loved this book!
Thanks to Netgalley for my advanced ebook copy.
Emandherbooks
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book made my heart ache, it had pure raw emotion and was simply beautiful. Perfectly written and wonderfully ended! I would recommend in a heart beat.
Sara Oxton
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Two Lives of Lydia Bird by Josie Silver a five-star read that may just be the best read of 2020. I adored One day in December so had such high hopes of this story, and I was not disappointed, Josie Silver writes about grief and loss in such a caring and compassionate way, they just made it so easy to understand where Lydia is coming from, you feel her heart breaking, you will cry buckets along side her. This is a great story and one that you can’t miss, there is a story within the story, and ...more
Karen Whittard
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh this book is just beautiful. Beware you need massive amounts of tissues to get through this book. But boy is it 100% worth it. I laughed, I cried and I was heartbroken and then fixed again. This book is beautiful.
Taylor Noel
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it Josie Silver's THE TWO LIVES OF LYDIA BIRD so much. I was a huge ONE DAY IN DECEMBER fan and was a little nervous this one wouldn’t hold up. But it definitely does.

I fell in love with LYDIA BIRD for all the same reasons I did ONE DAY—the characters, the fluid storytelling, the emotional connection, and the happy ending. This is such a sweet love story that completely transported me into Lydia’s life. I felt emotionally invested in Lydia’s story, and I enjoyed every minute of her
Janine
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
So, in retrospect, a book in which the love of the main character's live does on page 1 is probably NOT the best choice for a honeymoon read?

But, I love One Day in December by Silver so much I kept on with this one anyway. And I'm glad I did. It was sad, sure - it was kind of "P.S. I Love You" meets Maybe in Another Life a little bit? Except still it's own thing.

Silver does a great job of taking the reader on a journey with Lydia through her grief over losing Freddie, the man she has loved since
Jenna
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I cannot begin to tell you how excited I was to receive this ARC from the publisher. It was as if Christmas had come early this year. Thank you so much Penguin Random House / Ballantine Books for the opportunity to read and review this book prior to its publication.

My rating is truly floating between 4 and 4 Stars. There was a lot to love about this book.

The Concept- The concept of this book was creative but reminiscent of something I read and loved earlier in the year. That book was The Life
Lindsey
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
The Two Lives of Lydia Bird surely has an interesting premise: after the life-shattering death of Lydia's fiancé, she copes by visiting an alternate realty where Freddie is still alive and life, albeit slightly differently, continues on. The Two Lives of Lydia Bird focuses around grief and ways in which to cope with that grief. This book was pretty heavy and didn't include too many light-hearted moments to break up all of the darkness. I wasn't a huge fan of any particular character in this ...more
Tracy
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it

While I liked One Day in December more than I liked this, Josie Silver really does know how to tell the hell out of a story.

This one was a bit uneven for me, but I did find myself thinking about it a lot when I wasn’t reading it. I enjoy escaping into the stories Josie writes, and this one had an added layer of “escape.”
Lisa
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Is it too early to call a book of the year?!
This touched my heart, made me absolutely ball my eyes out and above all, it gave me hope! - it's pitch-perfect!
"There is more than one happy ending for everyone."
Arriann
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it

I read an ARC version of this book and found it utterly enjoyable. It's set up like many books about alternate lives/paths, but had it's own style and wit. I loved watching Lydia grow through loss and become comfortable in her own skin. It was cute and funny but still real and poignant.
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I really enjoyed the story and I think the course of Lydia’s real life was well written however I just found it more of a slog to read than I’d expected although I genuinely don’t understand why, I liked the characters, it’s very well written and the story follows a good course. I think many people will enjoy this but for some reason it just didn’t resonate with me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Josie Silver is an unashamed romantic who met her husband when she stepped on his foot on his twenty-first birthday. She lives with him, her two young sons, and their cats in a little midlands town in England.

• Unexpected Lessons in Love
  • The Christmas Invitation
  • The Glass Hotel
  • Mr. Nobody
  • Christmas at Rachel’s Pudding Pantry
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • You Were There Too