Start by marking “I Kissed Alice” as Want to Read:
I Kissed Alice

I Kissed Alice

For fans of Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda and Fangirl, I Kissed Alice is a romantic comedy about enemies, lovers, and everything in between.

Rhodes and Iliana couldn't be more different, but that's not why they hate each other.

Hyper-gifted artist Rhodes has always excelled at Alabama’s Conservatory of the Arts despite a secret bout of creator's block, while transfer stu
Published July 28th 2020 by Imprint

To ask other readers questions about I Kissed Alice, please sign up.
nat If so, it's one I'd never want to escape because yes !! please…moreIf so, it's one I'd never want to escape because yes !! please(less)

Start your review of I Kissed Alice
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
DNF @ pg. 101
I wanted so badly to love this, it sounded amazing! But enemies to lovers isn’t my favourite and this was sooo focused on the enemies part, and I didn’t care for the writing. I was pretty confused especially because I couldn’t tell the characters apart and it’s dual perspective. I wanted to push through but just found my attention wandering because I wasn’t connected to the characters. They weren’t really developed beyond just disliking each other.
Elle (ellexamines)
I Kissed Alice follows two girls, Iliana and Rhodes, who are best friends—and maybe something more—online, designing a webcomic together. In real life, however, the two despise each other, despite their mutual best friend Sarah’s wishes. It will take an art school competition and a whole lot of drama to get them together.

Okay, honestly, ever since I saw this blurb, I was hooked:
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Unfortunately, I really didn't like this book very much. Based on the cover and the blurb, I went into this one expecting a light and fun enemies-to-lovers sapphic romance, and this just.. was not that book. It is definitely sapphic, but nothing about this book was fun. With all that being said, even if I had known going into it that this was a much heavier book than I was expecting, I still don't think I would have liked it all that much. I really didn't like either of the main characters and I ...more
tappkalina
Nov 09, 2019 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt-read
25 November 2020
DNF at 20%. I'm confused and bored.
Maybe I'll start it all over again sometimes. Or find the audiobook. That would be the best.
But this cover just won't let me go.

3 March 2020
If you want to know why the cover has changed, you can find the answer here.

9 November 2019
THE COVER! 😍
All of next year's LGBT releases have so gorgeous covers!
"...despite being worst enemies in real life, their anonymous online identities are starting to like each other...a lot. When the truth comes out,
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
Finally a story takes place where I'm familiar with: Atlanta and Alabama. Funny about the Atlanta traffic because I feel what Rhodes felt driving and merging onto the busy crowded highway, a nervous wreck! It's interesting getting to know about art competition and art school in this book. I enjoyed the humor, especially how Rhodes and her younger brother caught each other checking out the same girl. I love the illustrations and the cover. The way Iliana was described in this story is fascinating ...more
Lea (drumsofautumn)
my bookstagram picture of the book in ipad with a grey blanket in the background

“She says she sees this version of Alice in me and reminds me almost daily that being brave simply means doing the hard thing—even if you’re terrified.”

I Kissed Alice is a YA Contemporary that I think will be incredibly divisive but that I loved so very much for its flawed and unlikeable characters and portrayal of the complexity of friendship.

I'm not gonna lie, this is one of those reviews that I'm almost dreading to write a little bit. I just think this book is going to have a lot
Bethany
DNF around 60 pages.

Unfortunately, I think the cover and description kind of misrepresent what this book is. Not to say there isn't an audience for it, but I am not it. The description suggests that this is a rivals-to-lovers rom-com where the girls are rivals at an art school over their art but meet anonymously online on a fanfic site. Which sounds very cute. Except that actually they are NOT rivals over their art. They're rivals over their friendship with a third girl and it is a very toxic an
Mariah
Mar 02, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
2020 book covers need to sit down.
My eyes can't take this much beauty.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Well, I'm drained.

I Kissed Alice started out very strong, and I was excited to see where it would take me. I've actually read a few similar books before, and I love the real life enemies, online lovers plotline. Plus, queen teens! I had very high hopes.

However, though this book is billed as a romantic comedy, there is nothing, and I mean nothing funny about this story. Mainly, it's about frenemies being pretty terrible to one another.

It's also not really romantic. It's more of a drama with LGB
Rachel
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute, gay enemies to lovers YA story about girls in art school. 🌈💜
C. S.
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, lgbtq, fiction
You know, before this book, I actually thought I had read enemies-to-lovers before. Now, after having read it, I realize that what I thought was enemies-to-lovers was merely two people who have the most vague irritation fueled by UST towards each other to lovers.

This book was exquisitely written, and if I were a different person on a different day, this would hands down be a five star read. But I do find that I prefer less enemies and more lovers, and that the angst factor was higher by several
Sara⁷ ❀
Nov 09, 2019 marked it as wish-list  ·  review of another edition
do i smell some w/w enemies to lovers trope??
charlotte,
Rep: bi mc, lesbian mc with depression and anxiety

(3.5)

may come back and round up but rounding down for now

(view spoiler)
Anniek
Okay, but this is already one of my favourite f/f romances ever. Halfway through this book, I preordered a physical edition, because I was just loving it that much.

This book is about two girls who share a best friend but HATE each other, but they're also best online friends (who are crushing on each other) who work on a webcomic/fanfic of Alice in Wonderland together, and they don't know each other's real identities.

And the writing??? Is amazing?????? Honestly, this was so well written, and I a
Queen Ophilia III
Thank you to Edelweiss+ to have given me a free arc for an honest review

I dont know who to blame this Review on: the author or the marketing person. I dont really have a problem with the book itself BUT the summary dont add up to the book in my opinion. In the summary we read that we have a rom-com with 2 Girls who are enemies due to their art but they meet anamously online and bound over some fanart. And from enemies they become lovers.

But to me the book isnt about to Girls having some sort of
Sonia Hartl
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so lucky to read an early copy of this book, and it is stunning. Anna’s writing is so gorgeous and fluid and draws you in completely. The rivalry between the girls is so well-done, you can see exactly where their animosity comes from without making either one the villain, and the whole time you’ll be rooting for them to get together and figure it out. I read this a while ago, and it still stuck with me. I can’t wait to read the updated version, I’m sure it’s only gotten more lovely.
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
hater-to-lovers romance is what I live for

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Trisha Tomy
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked it!

This has been on my to-read, or at least in my sights for months, but I finally found a copy this month, so I was really excited to start this one!

The characters were really good, the writing amazing, the illustrations awesome, and the plot just engrossing!??!

I really like the enemies-to-lovers trope, and this one really delivered on that front. The fanfiction was just amazing, and their chemistry really good. I love books like this where they meet and interact online, then me
Amanda
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
[I received a digital arc from netgalley for an honest review]

I wanted to like this book. Enemies to lovers romantic comedy and an Alice in Wonderland theme made me so excited. Let's start with this is not a romantic comedy. I laughed zero times and nothing about any of this made me want to chuckle.

Essentially this story is about two girls, Rhodes and Iliana, who have the same best friend, Sarah and who hate each other to an extreme. They are in competition for an art scholarship and in competi
Toya (the reading chemist)
I think the biggest downfall for this book is the marketing. It’s touted as an enemies to lovers romantic comedy. That is 100% false. Yeah, it’s enemies to lovers all right, but nothing in this book is funny. These girls are ruthless to one another to the point that their toxicity destroys each other and themselves.
sirius proserpine
ok main thought is still that rhode should have been asian but anyway love this book, very very high 4 stars
I,,, have so many conflicting emotions??? The main standout, tho, is that Rhode highkey looks Asian on this cover but she’s wHITE and we were robbed I tell you, robbed. Pls give me more poc wlw rep I need it 🥺
iam
Sapphic YA romance about two messy art students who hate each other in real life while they are in love online creating a fancomic together.

Read the full review on the blog!

Content warnings include: bullying, loss of scholarship, corruption, nepotism, abusive parents, class difference, destruction of art property; mentions of teens consuming drugs.

I loved the setup for this book. I adore enemies-to-lovers trope, and Rhodes and Iliana truly do hate each other, even though they share the same
R
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a drama filled story about high school students competing for the prestigious Capstone Foundation Award which came with many perks. The story was told from the alternating perspectives of Lliana and Rhodes. They were both seniors at the Alabama Conservatory of the Arts along with Sarah, Lliana’s best friend since third grade, who was also Rhodes’ roommate. Initially, Rhodes and Lliana were civil to each other. However, after a campus incident that got Lliana arrested, civility was repla ...more
james ☆
my emotions are...mixed. the characters in this book are totally narcissistic, mean, and unlikeable - but also impossible not to root for and relate to on some level. i’d almost say “i kissed alice” read more like an outline than a novel. patches of info and buildup are “missing” or lacking, and the whole book up until some of the very last scenes are loaded with an addicting tension that just dissipates all of a sudden.

EDIT: the longer it's been since i read this book, the less i like it....so
rin
Feb 26, 2019 marked it as maybe  ·  review of another edition
"Two girls at a southern school for the arts find themselves in a bitter rivalry over the final spot in the scholarship program, even as they anonymously fall in love on a fanfic site" is this the real life ...more
Sierra Elmore
This book is AMAZING! I read a super early copy, so, will review closer to pub!
Mac (bookshelfpalace)
I’ve been listening to this on audiobook whenever I had the chance. School has been busy, so I haven’t been able to read as much as I want to. I was really enjoying the book at the beginning, but then I started to lose interest. I like the, “we know each other in real life, but we don’t know it” trope, but the overall plot of trying to win this scholarship just didn’t grab my attention. I would be interested to pick up more from this author in the future though!
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
DNF at 21%

Just not feeling it. I think this is more me and my general mood and not really jonesing with YA angst than this book.

Probably won't pick it up again, but I am very happy that it exists in this world. We need more f/f YA.

I received this ARC from NetGalley for an honest review
Amber
Color me surprised, but not in a good way. I am surprised that the fanfiction elements weren't what brought this down for me. This book is a poster child the type of girl on girl hate I don't like to see in books. Additionally, the two voices by the characters were not distinct enough for me. Overall, not as fun as it was pitched to be.

I received an ecopy of this through Netgalley; however, all opinions are my own.

Mimi
May 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqiap-reads
more like a 2.5?
The second half of this was just trying too hard.

• Late to the Party
  • The Falling in Love Montage
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Girl Crushed
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • We Were Promised Spotlights
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • Love From A to Z
  • The Summer of Impossibilities
  • Queen of the Sea
  • Who I Was with Her
  • The Spinner of Dreams
  • Written in the Stars
  • The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)
  • Weather
  • The Henna Wars
  • The Love Curse of Melody McIntyre
LGBT > Gay
See top shelves…

Articles featuring this book

Author Meryl Wilsner describes their work as "love stories about women who take so long to kiss you want to fling yourself into the sun." That's an...