Start by marking “This Is All Your Fault” as Want to Read:
This Is All Your Fault

This Is All Your Fault

Set over the course of one day, Aminah Mae Safi's This Is All Your Fault is a smart and voice-driven YA novel that follows three young women determined to save their indie bookstore.

Rinn Olivera is finally going to tell her longtime crush AJ that she’s in love with him.

Daniella Korres writes poetry for her own account, but nobody knows it’s her.

Imogen Azar is just trying t
Published October 13th 2020 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about This Is All Your Fault, please sign up.
Penny Does no-one read the acknowledgments? Literally the first words are: This book started with an idea, a very simple idea. What if Empire Records was in…moreDoes no-one read the acknowledgments? Literally the first words are: This book started with an idea, a very simple idea. What if Empire Records was in a bookstore and what if the central characters of the story were the three girls. (less)
Belle Ellrich I think Imogen is either Bi or Pan, but it's never actually stated outright. That's about it, though. Not as much LGBT rep in here as people think, un…moreI think Imogen is either Bi or Pan, but it's never actually stated outright. That's about it, though. Not as much LGBT rep in here as people think, unfortunately. 😕(less)

Start your review of This Is All Your Fault
emma
I am about to say something that I have never, ever said before:

If you feel at all compelled to read this book, I must recommend you watch a movie instead.

Not THE movie. Not an adaptation of this book, which is not out yet, but somehow already exists. A totally separate movie.

This book ripped off Empire Records, and it didn’t even do that good of a job.

Before reading this, I had never seen Empire Records, and I felt like this could be a 4.5 star read. Maybe even 5. Then I kept reading, and it ke
Melanie
Jan 21, 2020 marked it as to-read
*the heaviest of breathing* ❤️

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
Claude's Bookzone
3.5 Stars - I usually round down but in this case it looked and felt wrong so today I went up!

TW: (view spoiler)

Well after a slow start the characters grew on me and I ended up enjoying this novel. The story itself is not remarkable, and judging by other reviews, not new. Readers should know this is mostly about the characters and given the book takes place over 24 hours we learn a lot about the three main women. Am
Fanna
October 13, 2020:
This Is All Your Fault is diversely stacked with developing friendships, personal struggles, distanced coworkers finding support in each other, passionate personalities, a slightly humorous narration, book recommendations, and a sign board on the door of an independent bookstore turning to 'closed' forever.

Representation: Biracial (Mexican-American—German) MC, Middle-Eastern—American & Queer MC, anxiety & depression.
Ownvoices reader for: anxiety rep.
Trigger warnings:
Boston
Nov 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2020 rated it did not like it
On paper, this book sounded like something I would like. Three girls, one day, save the independent book store. For fans of Empire Records? Check, Check, Check. I LOVE Empire Records. I watch it every year on Rex Manning day.

The problem is it doesn't feel like it's for fans of Empire Records. It seems like it IS Empire Records. With some minor changes.

I'm not 100% sure how a book that has so many blatant similarities isn't being pegged for plagiarism. So, massive spoilers ahead, but.... oh wel
Lea (drumsofautumn)

“She felt new, fresh. She felt cleansed. From all the loathing that had been welling up inside of her. From the slow creep into the darkness. Wild Nights had saved her. Again.”

This Is All Your Fault is a YA Contemporary with a really refreshing storyline, unpacking a whole bunch of different themes and topics.

At the centre of this story is the indie bookstore, Wild Nights, and all the characters trying to save the store from being closed. The story starts with a bit of a wild attempt
Celia McMahon
Aug 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
Imagine this, you read the synopsis of a story called I Laugh in the Face of Danger. It's about a young boy named Rimba who leaves his kingdom after his uncle threatens to out him for accidentally causing a stampede of kilderbeast that killed his own father. Rimba meets Simone and Rumba and he grows up pretending his father never died and he does not have a kingdom. Until Fala returns and reminds him of his duty to his country. There are a few songs, one called Why Do I Have to Wait to Be King?, ...more
Idris Grey
Dec 02, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: hella-excited
They had me at Empire Records and bookstore. I'm there. Send me an ARC. I'm not joking. ...more
♡ jules ♡
aminah mae safi is really out there saving our sapphic hearts.
Anniek
I love contemporary novels set during one day. I love books set in bookstores. I loved the author's previous book. So I was so sure I was going to love this book too.

Unfortunately, it really didn't work for me. I found it fell really flat and it just didn't feel developed enough for me to feel invested. I think the main issue was that there were too many characters, all of whom weren't really fleshed out. They were more ideas than people, really, but not in a way that worked.

A lot of the things
USOM
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Edelweiss. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

TW: sexual assault, suicidal ideation, anxiety, depression

Considering This is All Your Fault takes place over 24 hours only in a bookstore, the amount of characterization Safi gives her characters is amazing. This multiple POV book combines all the things I love - fierce heroines, a bookstore, and characters who are vulnerable and passionate. They're all united by this one bookstore,
Trianna/Treereads
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

I need time to process & write a full review. But, wow I really loved this one. Aminah Mae Safi writes some of the best female characters in YA contemporary. Her writing is descriptive and makes you think. I wanted to write out a bunch of the quotes. I can't wait to reread this one and underline all my favorites.

TW: attempted assault & mentions of anxiety and depression

*Thanks to the author for an ARC in exchange for an honest review*
M. (Inside My Library Mind)
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
More reviews up on my blog Inside My Library Mind

I really enjoyed this one a lot. It took me a while to get into it, but when I did, I ended up really liking it, and that was mostly due to the characters (yes, like in any book I read).

I found the characters to be really believable and I found their struggles and issues really relatable and honest. My favorite by far was Daniella, and it is definitely due to the fact that I see so much of myself in her (I am very vain in fact). She comes acros
Kay
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, physical-arc
Many thanks to the publisher, macmillan, for sending me a free ARC in exchange for an honest review

This was such a wonderfully fun, cute, and touching contemporary story about friends working together to save their bookstore! I had so much fun reading it, laughing aloud at parts, and being really moved at other parts. I absolutely flew through this!

I will note that from reading other reviews (and a quick wikipedia summary!) apparently this book is extraordinarily similar to the movie, Empire Re
Vighnesh Muraly
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I really enjoyed this book. It is set over the course of a day where the employees of this bookstore are trying to save if from closing down. I really liked how the author developed the characters and seeing how their relationships changed and grew throughout the novel was very satisfying. The characters themselves were scattered across the spectrum in the sense that they were all unique and were so distinguishable. I wasn’t a fan of one of the characters at the start of the book but the way she ...more
Sara
May 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
I wanted to like it. But I still enjoy the movie Empire Records more. Which if this was a music store instead of a bookstore it would be Empire Records. From the boy at the beginning considering taking the money and gambling in order to make more money, a diva author instead of a diva musician and the roof top dance party at the end it was basically Empire Records in a bookstore.
Samantha (WLABB)
Sep 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary, diverse, arcs, ya
Many readers are calling this an Empire Records for bookworms, and I have to agree, because my mind immediately went there too. When I first started reading, and the first "mistake" was made, it absolutely reminded me of the beginning of the film. There were other parallels too (even a Warren, a Jo, and an AJ), but I also thought there were aspects of the story that were fresh and new.

I loved the premise of this book. A group of teens, who find solace in this magical bookstore, band together in
ash ♡
this started off strong, and i truly wanted to love it so much! but after around the 50% mark, i started to lose interest and everything got really confusing. the ending was really messy and a bunch of subplots weren’t even resolved?? i’m so sad to say this, but this book unfortunately didn’t meet my expectations :((

Loubna
Dec 28, 2020 added it
Dnf at 50% I can't with the audiobook ...more
chloe ♡
i received a review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. all opinions below are my own.

trigger warnings: sexual harassment, depression, anxiety

aminah mae safi’s this is all your fault is an ode to indie bookstores, strong women, and poetry. this story, told over the course of one day from the perspectives of three girls, will surely warm the hearts of book lovers of all ages!

there was such a vibe to the mornings at wild nights. it was a quiet kind of bustle. the people in the stor
A.R. Hellbender
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book has a premise that sounds very simple, but the story it tells is so beautiful and profound.
The 3 POV characters are all very different from each other and don’t even like each other very much, but they’re more similar to each other than they know (to the point where one of them reads another one’s poetry on the internet and doesn’t know it’s her).
The characters are also so well-rounded, especially for people whose lives we don’t see outside of the bookstore they work at. We only follow
Azraa
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, arcs, contemporary
'That’s what Imogen loved so much about Wild Nights- that everyone was into their own thing and everyone could potentially find what they were looking for.'
Wild Nights is a bookstore and emporium where this book takes place. The place is described with such finesse that I couldn’t help but fall in love with it. The story is narrated from the POV of three girls, Rinn, Imogen and Daniella who all work there. We learn how much the store means to each of them. Not only a means to earn but an escape,
Zaina
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2020
Have you ever dreamed of working in a bookstore?

There is something so fascinating to me about imagining myself as an employee at a bookstore- talking to book lovers, working with authors and publishers, keeping inventory, working at the register and just.. being surrounded by books daily.

So naturally, I was living vicariously through the characters of This Is All Your Fault, who work at Wild Nights Bookstore and Emporium! Danny, Rinn, Imogen, Eli and AJ are all wildly different characters who ha
Sacha
Oct 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Thanks to NetGalley and Feiwel and Friends for this arc, which I received in exchange for an honest review. I'll post that review upon publication.

Updated 10/14/20

3 stars

This is a really tough review to write because of my overall impressions of the novel and the controversy surrounding it.

I'll start by saying that I was thrilled to be approved for another Safi arc. So far, I have enjoyed her novels. Because it has been so long since I watched _Empire Records_ (literally in the theater), I exp
Sarah Sammis
Another failing or closing business story. Most similar to: Hot Dog Girl and This Time Will Be Different but shares themes with The Printed Letter Bookshop and Stay Sweet.

Grace W
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, ya-lgbtqia
(c/p from my review on TheStoryGraph) This is such a boring book that I don't actually have anything to say strongly about it. Like I don't... I just finished it and I can barely think of anything to say about it. This is a rice cracker of a book: you read it and don't feel anything. Like I can't even be mad about this just so underwhelmed. The plot is contrived, the characters are flat, the writing is incredibly bland. It's just a ... kinda of bummer of a book because it's not even bad enough t ...more
Alexis Stankewitz
Apr 13, 2020 rated it liked it
As a former bookseller at an indie bookstore in Chicago, I can't tell you how Amazing this book is! I loved all the characters, but especially Danielle, Imogen and Rhinn It was just really nice to read about the Love of a bookstore (And books, obviously) bringing people together. I though that the author did a great job nailing down the wonderfulness (And not so wonderfulness) of working at a bookstore. This is a great, heartwarming read and I definitely recommend this book! ...more
Salma19 (High Lady of the Dawn Court)
3 GIRLS SAVING AN INDIE BOOKSTORE?!
I am in! 👑💕📚
rhi ✰
Oct 12, 2020 marked it as tbr-top-priority
you had me at poetry and a bookstore
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Six Angry Girls
  • The Unhoneymooners
  • Miss Meteor
  • Charming as a Verb
  • We Didn't Ask for This
  • You Know I'm No Good
  • The Friend Zone (The Friend Zone, #1)
  • Who I Was with Her
  • The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
  • Wilder Girls
  • Rent a Boyfriend
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Frankly in Love
  • Historically Inaccurate
  • Now That I've Found You
  • Meet Cute
  • Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, #1)
  • The Black Kids
Aminah Mae Safi is a writer who explores art, fiction, feminism, and film. She loves Sofia Coppola movies, Bollywood endings, and has seen all of the Fast and Furious franchise. She lives in Los Angeles, CA with her partner and a cat bent on world domination (and another cat that is just here for the snacks). Her 2016 We Need Diverse Books winning story will appear in their forthcoming anthology F ...more

Articles featuring this book

“Numbers were honest. Numbers, theoretically, didn’t lie.” 0 likes
“She was a hot mess that had cooled off, leaving behind ashes and sludge.” 0 likes