Start by marking “Lovely Digits” as Want to Read:

Lovely Digits

When two murders strike the sleepy Victorian town of Clun, England, an unlikely partnership forms. But can the killer be found before there is a third?

Lovely Digits is the town oddity…

But quirky spinster Lucy Wycliffe prefers to ignore gossip and embrace her position as the town’s layer out of the dead, despite how her parents’ deaths thrust her into such unlikely work. Lo
Published June 12th 2019 by Soul Mate Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Lovely Digits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lovely Digits

Start your review of Lovely Digits
"Avonna
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Check out all of my reviews at: https://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

LOVELY DIGITS by Jeanine Englert is a historical romantic suspense that I feel is perfect in every way. The romance and suspense/mystery were both perfectly balanced and intriguing. This book has a heroine with a unique occupation, a constable hero trying to right a past wrong while both work together to solve a series of murders in 1849 Clun, England.

Miss Lucy Wycliffe is a spinster, who has for the last ten years been Clun’s laye
InD'tale Magazine
Readers of this genre will definitely want to add Ms. Englert to their favorites list, and newbies of historical fiction will surely get hooked after reading this debut novel.

Read full review in the 2019 October issue of InD'tale Magazine.
JoAn
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, historical
Lovely Digits by Jeanine Englert is a historical mystery set during the Victorian period in a small town in England. Lucy is a spinster who provides the small town with the service of laying out the dead. John is the newly appointed constable for the town. A smoothly paced plot with mysterious clues and plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader guessing until the dramatic reveal.
Elodie
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jeanine Englert
Release date 6/12/2019
Publisher Soul Mate Publishing

Blurb :

Lovely Digits is the town oddity . . .
Quirky spinster Lucy Wycliffe prefers to ignore gossip and embrace her position as the town’s layer out of the dead, despite how her parents’ deaths thrust her into such unlikely work.
Barbara Rogers
Series: None Listed, but I think it is meant to be
Publication Date: 6/12/19
Number of Pages: 210

** Maybe 4.5 **

This was one of the best debut novels I’ve read in a long time. The writing is excellent the plot is complex and well-executed, and the characters are fully-fleshed and very relatable. I was particularly pleased to find that there was both a romance and a mystery and both were really well done. Besides, what could be better than a wonderful story that didn’t have a single aristocrat in i
Cyrene Olson
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is such a nice surprise, and for a debut novel, I can only imagine this author getting better and better. The descriptions have you stepping in the snow with Lucy and John, and taking in the stars. This is such an original concept – Lucy is a “layer-out” or a mortician of the past. Giving the families and the victims the care and respect before they are laid to rest. John comes in as the new constable, and approaches Lucy for her to help solve some recent murders – and for more than on ...more
Bridget Lewis
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Murder past and present

John is the new constable and Lucy is the layer outer or undertaker of dead bodies! Lucy barely survives in this small town! Her nasty fat landlord is determined to squeeze rent or marriage out of her! John has secrets and has his own reasons for coming to town! Lucy is fascinated and instantly smitten by this man! He's intelligent, handsome and a war hero! Someone is murdering innocent young women two of Lucy's closest friends! The killer leaves clues and John realizes h
Jana Oliver
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Strong New Voice in Historical Romance

I enjoy stories that have strong emotional arcs as well as a compelling mystery. Lovely Digits has all those elements. The relationship between the hero and heroine was spot on as each twist and turn plays out to its dangerous conclusion. I highly recommend this book.
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
I’m a huge fan of romantic suspense. This is a great addition to the genre. I did find that some scenes are a bit slow moving. The killer is … Oh, you thought I was going to tell you? Never! Insert evil laugh. You have to read the book to find out who’s murdering people in Clun England.

FULL REVIEW http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/reviews/...
Katherine Olson
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fresh voice for historical romance! I loved the premise of this story, the heroine’s unusual vocation (so nice to see something outside the peerage for HR), the dense atmospheric setting in Clun, and the hero who proved himself worthy of our admiration at every turn.
Marlie May
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This mystery grabbed me on page one and didn't let go until I finished. An awesome read, suspenseful and enthralling. I can't wait to see what this author writes next.
Melissa Sellers
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A sweet read

This is a mystery and it's a good one but the relationship between John and Lucie is what I loved the most. I will say that if you are a stickler for historic accuracy you may get irritated by some of the expressions that the characters use. I think the speech is really modernized probably for ease of reading. This didn't bother me in the least as I read for pure enjoyment. I really liked this book and found myself looking forward to getting back to it.
Meghan Lloyd
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A spooky book written in a way that mesmerizes the reader and draws you into the small village of Clun, England, a place where secrets abound and your silence may be what keeps you alive. I love romance written into mysteries, particularly murder mysteries, and Jeanine Englert did an amazing job of incorporating both elements into Lovely Digits. It was very unique - this is the first time I have read a book where the heroine is a 19th century mortician. It's the last thing I would find to be int ...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
This book certainly started off with shock value that captured my interest. I can honestly say the suspense/mystery had me riveted and turning the pages until the very end. The plot was rather unique and the cast of characters were well established. The romance was well written, sweet and endearing.

The suspenseful plot had me flipping the pages perhaps too fast because I do believe I might have missed something. The title of the book is what the townsfolk called the heroine, Lucy. I don’t know w
Brenda Nichols
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Historicals are not normally my cup of tea, but I'm glad I picked this one up.

I loved that the heroine, Lucy Wycliffe had an unusual profession as a layer-out of the dead, a precursor to the modern-day mortician and later on to have her intelligence and forthrightness put to use by the new constable, John Brodie.

I enjoyed the flawed hero (John Brodie) very much as he saw more worth in Lucy than just a pretty face and was not disgusted by her work. He lifted her up and gave her new purpose at a
Jillian
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quite the murder adventure!

This was a real interesting book! I enjoyed the intrigue and mystery. Two murders in Victorian England and an unlikely pair comes together to solve it. There is some romance but the entire story centers on two woman who turn up dead. A washed up sailor investigator and female mortician are on the case. Early examples of crime fighting with deduction and forensic science. Kept my attention all the way thru. The book wasn’t too dark, nor did it give any gory details. Goo
Didi Ps
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story is about Lucy & John, set in the early 1800s... She's a layer-out person (who prepares dead bodies for burials) & John is a city man who has come to her small town to try to solve the murder of some of Lucy's friends. This, and at the same time, John has a secret to Lucy's past that could destroy any possibility of a relationship... This was an interesting story for sure, which was quite original compared to other stories set in this time.

I got this book as an ARC, free as part of New
Melanie Falconer
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
This is a gem of a book- it’s a Victorian era romantic suspense. Lovely Digits is the nickname the townspeople of Clun, England give Lucy Wycliffe, the layer out of the dead. Suddenly there is a death in the sleepy town and the new constable John Brodie solicits Ms. Wycliffe’s help. John Brodie has a past that he’s not yet ready to reveal to her. Can these two work together to catch a killer?
Jane Marchionna
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t want to put the book down. I really enjoyed it. The mystery was well thought out and the characters were strong engaging. I wish this was a series I would love to read more about John and Lucy.
Tyra Burton
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delightful read

With both an intriguing hero and heroine, Lovely Digits delivers a wonderful period mystery with twists and turns and romance. An excellent and well-written debut novel.
Gwamsa
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lucy and John

This book is a nice surprise and different path to romance. The characters are unique and the gothic darkness just right for a few tingles. I recommend and will be seeking more by this author.
Nicole LaBoy
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read

This is the first book I have read from this author and I was unable to put the book down. It was well written. It will have you to glued to the pages wanting to solve the mystery right along with the Hero and Heroine.
Brenda Lowder
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Suspenseful and engaging, this book kept me rapidly turning pages until I reached the satisfying conclusion!
Joann
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Victorian mystery

Very good mystery set in a small English village. Two women have been murdered. I would have preferred a little less romance but otherwise good.
Janice
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the book, looking forward to more of her books.
Dee Jay Blaylock
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Secrets

The new constable has secrets that he wishes to keep from the lovely Lucy Wycliffe. Lucy and her sister were orphaned ten years earlier and the murder of her parents never solved.
The new constable has come to oversee the village of Clun. What he finds is two murders of Lucy’s good friends.
John Brodie, the new constable, asks for Lucy’s assistance as she is the one who lays out the dead so she has some experience at looking for clues to their demise.
What they find is a bigger mystery and l
Elizabeth Everett
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful romantic suspense. For my taste, there are too few historical romantic suspense novels. What sets this novel apart is the lovely prose. Such a pleasure to read Ms. Englert's thoughtful, well-crafted writing.
Amy Villarreal
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good read

Excellent story. My only complaint is a few redundancies and awkward metaphors. I’m sure this author will clear up the tiny discrepancies as she develops her skills.
Deborah  Cleaves
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wonderful murder mystery mixed with romance and oodles of luscious conflict. If only the book had a different name and the heroine a different nickname! [The cover art is great.] captivating from the initial meet-oops to the final HEA.
Alisha
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting profession for heroine

• Abandoned to the Prodigal (Season of Scandal Book 2)
  • Pursued by the Rake (Season of Scandal Book 1)
  • What Happens in Piccadilly (The Hellion Club, #3)
  • Who Speaks for the Damned (Sebastian St. Cyr, #15)
  • Love by Accident
  • Murder at the Abbey (Redmond and Haze Mysteries #2)
  • My Wild Heart (Regency Shakespeare, #2)
  • How to Tame a Beastly Lord (Happy Ever Regency, #2)
  • Murder in the Crypt (Redmond and Haze Mysteries, #1)
  • Cherishing the Captain
  • Murder on Charles Street
  • Always the Best Friend (Never the Bride Book 4)
  • Pork Pie Pandemonium: Albert Smith's Culinary Capers Recipe 1
  • The Silent Quarry: A gripping Welsh murder mystery (DI Winter Meadows Book 1)
  • Hell Hath No Fury (Devilish Debutantes, #1)
  • Never Doubt a Duke (Never, #1)
  • Dragon's Reach (The Keeper Origins #1)
  • Alice's Arranged Marriage (Home for Christmas Book 1)
Jeanine Englert is a Golden Heart ® Finalist, Daphne du Maurier Award winner, and Silver Falchion Award Winner in historical romantic suspense. After years of writing in secret, she joined Romance Writers of America and Georgia Romance Writers in 2013 and has been an active member ever since. She writes Scottish Highland historicals and historical romantic suspense novels.

When she isn’t wrangling