Start by marking “Shades of Magic Vol. 2: The Night of Knives (Shades of Magic - The Steel Prince)” as Want to Read:

Shades of Magic Vol. 2: The Night of Knives

(Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #5-8)

Written by New York Times bestselling author V.E. Schwab and torn from the universe of the Shades of Magic sequence, this all-original comic book adventure continues the story begun in The Steel Prince – perfect for fans of bloody, swashbuckling adventure and gritty fantasy.

The young and arrogant prince Maxim Maresh, having faced the terror of the Pirate Queen, now aims to
Published October 16th 2019 by Titan Comics

To ask other readers questions about Shades of Magic Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shades of Magic Vol. 2

Start your review of Shades of Magic Vol. 2: The Night of Knives (Shades of Magic - The Steel Prince)
Drewthereader20
Just read this book in one sitting and liked this one a lot more than the first one! Cannot wait for vol. 3 to come out early next year!(:
Gemma ♕ Books_McCoy
Just love this whole thing. Loved the Night of Knives, loved the art, loved it all!
Myrto
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some scenes (and especially fight scenes) left me a bit confused and disoriented and I think I wasn't as invested as I was in the first volume but overall I enjoyed this.

Happy reading!
Rod Brown
I'm only reading this because the first volume is a graphic novel nominee for the Goodreads Choice Awards, I had checked both volumes out of the library at the same time, and they are very short, so why not read both? I have not previously read any books in the Shades of Magic series or by the author. This is the second book of a trilogy of graphic novels adapting a single sentence from one of the novels.

The protagonist remains unlikable but may be becoming a trifle less headstrong. The art
Devann
actual rating: 3.5

I thought the first volume felt a bit unfinished/rushed just because it was the introduction, but now I'm thinking that four issues are just not enough to tell the kinds of stories that Schwab wants to tell. This one was definitely interesting and a cool concept, but it seemed like it was over almost before it began. Also I still have a bit of a love-hate relationship with the artist. Still a good read and I love the extended background we are getting on the Shades of Magic
Love, Jamie
Mar 01, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
How am I expected to wait for this?! ...more
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)

You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

The accomplishments by the #1 New York Times bestselling author are not unbeknownst by readers today. Her gritty and deadly stories glow with an immersive and addictive quality that makes for a truly entertaining ride, whether you see it coming or not. Looking to continue her comic book trilogy by exploring the secret adventures of Maxim, a character that first made his appearance in the Shades of Magic series, V.E. Schwab expands her universe
Teresa
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the first arc, but I can't believe how invested and blown away I was by Night of Knives!
noah
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
im not so sure this story works as a graphic novel. these trials maxim goes through happen so quickly in just a few panels that i never got a true sense of how difficult they were physically or emotionally speaking. then the trials get talked about like they were this great undertaking and im just like... ok.. he did it in like 2 seconds, but sure... it's a big deal..............
Stanislav Lozanov
The art in this volume definitely looked worse than the previous one. Moreover, the story was not that interesting.
Maddie
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had the same problems with this one as the first one. The art style seems to add confusion where there probably shouldn't be any (fight scenes particularly because they contain magic that's a bit abstract, distinguishing side characters from each other, making out facial expressions etc). I definitely liked the storyline a bit better than the first one though!
Catherine
blockquote>“Don't worry. The Prince has got this. He's clever.”
“Clever isn't enough. All it takes is one misstep.”
— Toro & Isra

There are tropes in Night of Knives. Trials, hiding in paid sight, evil clowns. But it's not a bad thing. They work. This is about character building. Showing another side of the character you think you know. I love the art style the demonstration between the light side and dark side. The way magic is shown the differences in them

The Steel Prince is named after

Alex (h00kisback)
4.5

Again, I LOVE LOVE LOVE to be able to see into this world and follow the character of Maxim Maresh.

The art is beautiful and flows incredibly from one pane to another, and also I want all of the cover arts!

My one con is that it's a little skippy when it comes to the story, I prefer a little more discussion or having transitions be a little slower, but I do understand this is just due to format restrictions.

So yeah, go go go read this!
Maria
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This comic has the most inconsistent artwork and the ugliest shading I’ve EVER seen.
Sorry, V.E. Schwab, but your illustrator. SUCKS. ASS. A real shame! This could’ve been such a jam if only you collaborated with the right person. Alas, your talent is wasted here.
Hannah
I‘m still struggling to follow everything that’s going on (at the end I do get it) but I guess that’s for the simply reason that I am not used to comics.
I still very much enjoyed this issue! I love the art and I‘m just intrigued by everything in this world.
Sylvia
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, graphic-novels
Review to come.
Isabella (Stubbornly Bookish)
Quite a few things felt rushed and the art style is still a little confusing. Still enjoyed the overall story.
Laura Henry
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this world and am learning to love Maxim but it’s hard in a graphic novel. Every time I read these I just need more. I don’t want it to end and it feels so short.
Bridgette
It’s fine, but I didn’t enjoy it as much as the first one. It also felt really short, but maybe I’m used to reading longer graphic novels.
Elyse
Maxim is still in the port town of Verose, after defeating the pirate queen, and now must fight in the Night of Knives to earn the respect of his troops. But the Night of Knives is not all that it seems! Another fun prequel to A Darker Shade of Magic.
Bethany
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I will keep reading this series out of my enjoyment of the novels, but I just can't help but feel like this isn't a great medium for the story. The art is amazing but I feel like so much is lost without the deeper explanations and insights that a novel can give. I don't know, this book just feels like so much is missing.
Julia
I found this very lackluster. There's no sense of danger or powerful magic, no sense of struggle. The trials are supposed to be extraordinarily difficult and dangerous but it all felt like a walk in the park.
pauline
really me-phobic of them to make me wait until october
Kristina Jagger
Lari
*2.5-2.75 stars*

I didn’t think I’d ever rate something by Victoria Schwab this low, but alas... here we are :’(

In this volume, Maxim Maresh, lacking respect from the soldiers under his command in Verose, decides to enter himself into a series of four magical trials, collectively known as the Night of Knives, in order to prove himself worthy of his soldiers’ respect. Of course, we are told the Night of Knives is a big deal in Verose: most people quit after the first or second trial, only a few
Mary Drover
My review for volume one is linked. This was definitely better than the first one. I’m still not in love with the art, but it’s growing on me. It’s just so unclear and not blurry, but that’s the descriptor that comes to mind. It’s got really hard lines, but no actual definition? It’s very strange. The story was a lot more interesting, too, though it still had that quality of just “and why are we learning about this?” vibe to it. We dove right into the action, which is something I’m usually a fan ...more
Joanna
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haley
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 3.5

I love the Shades of Magic world with all my heart and I’m so happy that we’re getting more content. The comic form is really fascinating for Maxim’s story because his experiences are so action-packed and work really well visually. Unfortunately, however, I struggled a bit with this volume because I feel like this part of the story really needed more time. I understand that there isn’t much room to work with and I think V.E. Schwab did a great job with what she had. I still
Rach_Reads
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another really enjoyable installment in this comic series. In this bind up, Maxim wants to earn the respect of his soldiers so takes part in a challenge that will test his strength in all forms - magical, will and physical.

I found that the art was yet again super beautiful and the characters interesting but that there was less suspense and involvement of the other characters. This installment really is all about Maxim. He does grow a little as a character by the end, but overall this doesn't
Arvind
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

• Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
  • The Mortal Instruments: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 3
  • Batman: Nightwalker
  • Fix the World (Skyward #3)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part Three (Imbalance, #3)
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • Mooncakes
  • Critical Role – Vox Machina: Origins
  • The Magicians: Alice's Story
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • The Near Witch (The Near Witch, #1)
  • The Tea Dragon Festival
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • "Okay" (The Wicked + The Divine #9)
  • Fence, Vol. 3
V.E. Schwab is a pseudonym of Victoria Schwab.

Victoria has stated that books published under V.E. Schwab are adult releases and those under Victoria Schwab are YA.

Shades of Magic Graphic Novels (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Steel Prince #1 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #1)
  • The Steel Prince #2 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #2)
  • The Steel Prince #3 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #3)
  • The Steel Prince #4 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #4)
  • Night of Knives #1 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #5)
  • Night of Knives #2 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #6)
  • Night of Knives #3 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #7)
  • Night of Knives #4 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #8)
  • The Rebel Army #1 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #9)
  • The Rebel Army #2 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #10)