Start by marking “The Tenant” as Want to Read:
The Tenant

The Tenant

(Kørner/Werner #1)

When a young woman is discovered brutally murdered in her own apartment, with an intricate pattern of lines carved into her face, Copenhagen police detectives Jeppe Korner and Anette Werner are assigned to the case. In short order, they establish a link between the victim, Julie Stender, and her landlady, Esther de Laurenti, who’s a bit too fond of drink and the host of ...more
Published January 14th 2020 by Gallery/Scout Press (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Tenant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tenant

Start your review of The Tenant
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ring ring prrrrr…

CS representative- Hi, this is books starring limbo center 54321, what is your emergency?

Nilufer-Hi there, I had a promising Danish thriller in my hands.

CS representative- You mean Danish Kringle? Do you want its recipe?

Nilufer- No thanks, me in the kitchen cooking Danish Kringle should be real thriller plot which ends with tragic fire, stomach pumping and big cries. I’m talking about something less thrilling!

CS representative- When you tell me thrilling Danish did you mean
Peter
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, crime, mystery
Succession
Katrine Engberg’s debut Scandinavian noir thriller, The Tenant is a gritty crime mystery with a riveting plot that is intricately constructed. Katrine bases her story in Copenhagen and crafts a Nordic atmosphere that is uniquely styled and vividly portrays the location in all its sweeping facets.

Julie Stender is a young woman found brutally murdered in her apartment, with multiple stab wounds and a pattern carved into her face. There is no theft or sexual assault so the crime screams
Meredith
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Tenant is a Scandinavian mystery about a murder that mirrors the events of an unpublished manuscript.

The narrative is split between multiple characters. The main points of view are told from the perspectives of the mystery writer and the main police detective.

I love the premise of The Tenant, so much so that I bumped up my review one star because there are some original and interesting elements of the mystery that I appreciated. However, the execution was lacking.

I struggled with the
Chelsea Humphrey
This one has been translated into English to make it's debut in the US, and mark my words, it is THE nordic crime fiction breakout of 2020! I can't wait to follow these new detectives in the cases that come next.

"Perfect fare for fans of Jo Nesbo, Jeffrey Deaver, and Tana French...."

ME:
description

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
Lori
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, reviewed, vine
I was disappointed in this. Katrine Engberg writes very well and the prose flows perfectly, so I'm assuming the translation is very good. The weakness is the plot; I didn't like the mystery. Opening up with a young torture/murder victim who has had deep decorative lines carved into her face while she was still alive promises great Scandy noir stuff ahead. But it didn't play out that way. Without spoiling anything, the story is all over the place and the book lacks suspense. I want to be glued to ...more
Kendall
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
The premise of the Tenant had me hooked!!

But, unfortunately I struggled so much with this book. I struggled with the writing.. and am not sure if it was translation issues but I found the book to be extremely boring. I found the pacing slow, characters flat, and the mystery lacking. I had high expectations for this one and had high hopes but it just was lacking so much for me.

I think there are wayyyy to many mystery/police procedural thrillers out there that are so similar but change character
Sandy

This is book #1 in a series set in Copenhagen featuring Danish detectives Jeppe Kørner & Anette Werner. There are 3 more that follow, not yet translated.

It all begins with a body. In this case, a young woman named Julie Stender is found horribly mutilated in the apartment she rents from landlady Esther de Laurenti. Violent murders are rare in this city & the resulting media frenzy doesn’t help Jeppe & Anette as they begin to dismantle Julie’s life in search of their killer.

Katie B
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it

This is the first book in a Nordic police detective series and I liked this one enough that I'm looking forward to reading more of these books in the future. There was a pretty solid mystery in this one although it got a bit messy and complicated towards the end. I feel like I got a bit of a taste for the two police detectives and I'm curious to learn more about their pasts as well as what's next in store for them.

Copenhagen police detectives Jeppe Korner and Anette Werner are assigned
Chris
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
DeAnn
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
3.75 Nordic noir stars

This somewhat dark police procedural is set in Denmark and reminds me a bit of Jo Nesbo. Katrine Engberg is a new author to me, but I understand she’s an international bestseller.

This book opens with a grisly murder scene and I spent the rest of the book trying to unravel the puzzle. I thought I had it all figured out, but no, I was way off base! There are two Copenhagen detectives Korner and Werner that work on the case and they act like an old married couple!

The murder
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A brutal murder in a building owned by an author who is writing a book with a similar story line causes her to be the main suspect.

Julie and her roommate Caroline live in a building owned by Esther de Laurenti, the author. Julie is murdered, and the murder has the entire police force baffled.

Nothing like this has ever happened in her building, and Esther can’t understand it.

The clues all seem to point to Esther, though, and especially since the murder scene and situation are similar to her book,
Carolyn
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars.
I wish to thank NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for the opportunity to read this ARC in return for an honest review. I often enjoy Nordic Noir crime stories, but I am sorry to say this one failed to resonate with me. I found it slow and the language flat. I was not feeling any sense of excitement or suspense. These ingredients were present in the plot, but the thrills I expected to feel were absent for me. The plot was complicated and well thought out with a variety of suspects,
Crime by the Book
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars for this compelling if slightly uneven debut. Katrine Engberg has been quickly gaining popularity in Europe, and I was so excited to read her debut novel this year. The Tenant follows two police officers in Copenhagen as they investigate a bizarre murder, one which appears to be based on an unpublished manuscript. There's a lot to love here: plenty of human drama, a vivid cast of characters, and an intricate plot. However, it took me about 100 pages to feel like this story really ...more
Linden
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julie, a 21 year old women, is found murdered and mutilated in her Copenhagen apartment. Detectives Jeppe and Anette are assigned to the difficult case, which seems to go nowhere. A suspect is found murdered, and someone confesses to the crime who obviously is lying. Details emerge from the past which shed new light on the case, but can they solve it before the deranged murderer kills again? I read a lot of Nordic Noir mysteries and have favorite translators, but was surprised that no translator ...more
Dennis
The Tenant is coming to the US in January 2020 and I see fans of Lars Kepler and Joe Nesbo fawning over this nordic noir crime-fiction novel. What starts out as a standard murder mystery, the story begins to unfold drastically to provide an over-the-top, yet definitely enjoyable, sinister master plot. I read this e-book during my commute home from Thanksgiving (thank you Dramamine for preventing motion sickness) and I read it in one-sitting! While the story is definitely bingeworthy, the ...more
Lisa Leone-campbell
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Tenant is an old-fashion who done it with flawed investigators who are bright and sassy, and a murder mystery which takes so many turns your head will spin.

Julie Stender is a woman in her twenties who is found murdered in her apartment with mysterious knife markings on her face. A lovely girl who seemingly had no enemies, no one can understand why.

Incredibly, the owner of the building, Esther de Laurenti, a retired elderly woman who likes her wine, is in the process of writing her first
Barbara
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of mysteries, always attempting to figure out the perpetrator. Danish author Katrine Engberg’s “The Tenant” begins with a brutal murder of a twenty-one-year-old woman. She is found by an elderly tenant of an apartment building. The murder was a bloody mess, with the woman suffering from multiple stab wounds. The murder becomes headline news and the police force is under extreme pressure to solve the case.

Detectives Jeppe Korner and Annette Werner are assigned to the case. I
Zoe
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Creepy, twisty, and ominous!

The Tenant is the start of a brand-new series by Engberg that sweeps you away to Copenhagen, Denmark where the prickly detective duo Kørner and Werner find themselves investigating a new complicated case involving a murder that seems to be plucked right off the pages of the landlord’s most recent manuscript, and a mutilated murder victim with a past full of secrets.

The prose is cunning and intense. The characters are secretive, flawed, and realistic. And the plot is a
Judy
Nov 28, 2019 rated it liked it
A debut Scandanavian crime thriller featuring two police detectives, Jeppe Kørner and Anette Werner, who are the Copenhagen officers assigned to the case of a brutally murdered young woman. Jeppe is the main character and he is well-drawn as a stereotypical flawed police detective who has been on the job a long time. He's divorced, but hasn't gotten over his wife leaving him. We don't learn a lot about his partner, Anette, other than she's married and that Jeppe finds her irritating.

The case is
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2020/01/23/...

Apparently, I have been living under a rock because I hadn’t heard of Danish mystery author extraordinaire Katrine Engberg until now, but in my defense, this isn’t my usual genre, and I’ve only started branching out into crime noir fiction recently. Considering this, I think I scored pretty big stumbling upon The Tenant, the first book of the Kørner/Werner series which is already on its third volume in its original
Tiffany PSquared
*Many thanks to NetGalley, Scout Press, and the author for the opportunity to read and review a free copy of this book

What is it about Scandinavian mysteries that make reading them so fascinating? Engberg has a gritty thriller in The Tenant, where the suspects are plentiful and the whodunnit is truly a mystery. One thing I love the most is her beautifully flawed main characters. There are no super-detectives here, just hard-working police people working a twisted case that starts to rack up too
Obsidian
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Please note that I received this book via NetGalley. This did not affect my rating or review.

So this was a really good thriller. I have never read a book taking place in Denmark before. Or at least I don't think I have. It was interesting to see how the partners in this book (Jeppe Korner and Anette Werner) deal with the murder of a young woman and then the twists and turns the murder case takes. We do get to see more of Jeppe in this one, or least his emotional state. The main reason why I
Aristotle
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Needed an American Editor

Something was lost in translation.
Set in Copenhagen, Denmark the po po search for the killer of a young woman found dead in her apartment.
Po po? If i'm a Danish reader that makes no sense. It's US slang for the police. How would Danish readers know? It would need a Danish editor to smooth out the strange urban dialogue.
That was a problem with this book. Do American editors read foreign books before they are printed?

And since the joint was just a loogie away from police
☕️Kimberly
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-2020
Korner and Werner are an interesting pair. I often felt as if I were watching an old married couple working a case. They are very different but respect each even if they get annoyed. I can’t say I was overly fond of either, but the murder was the focus for me. I hope that as the series continues my feelings for them will alter. I felt as if we got to know Korner, flawed though he is.

The murder-mystery was rather clever, and I enjoyed the list of suspects. I confess I thought I had it all worked
Andrea Pole
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Tenant by Katrine Engberg is a Scandinavian noir that pairs perfectly with shorter days and the autumnal chill in the air. This one is dark, twisted, and complex, and pretty much everything you would expect from this addictive genre.

Jeppe Korner and Anette Werner, Copenhagen police detectives, respond the the grisly murder of a twenty-'one year old woman whose lifeless body is discovered by a fellow tenant in her apartment. Adding further to the savage crime, the victim's face has been
Monnie
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This turned out to be an interesting book for several reasons - not the least of which that it's set in Denmark, written by a popular Danish author and is the first of her work, I believe, to be translated for the U.S. market. It's also the first in a detective series, so I'll assume that if it does well here in the states, we'll have the opportunity to read more.

And that's fine by me. Up front, though, I'll say I never totally warmed up to either of the main characters - police investigator
Christi M
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
One morning Gregers Hermansen is taking his trash out when he notices the door to his neighbor’s apartment is open. As he enters their home he literally stumbles over one of the girls that lives there. In this Danish detective series, detectives Korner and Werner are assigned to investigate the case. The two of them dislike so many of the small things that make each person who they are, but somehow they are led to believe that they complement each other even if they don’t quite understand what ...more
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
With being so unbelievably busy with work this week, I read this book sporadically and I wonder if that made any difference in how I felt about this than if I had read it in one sitting (which is the way I prefer to read honestly). I liked this read but I didn't love it. Here's why.

The plot is nothing too unique. Girl found dead. Let's find out who did it. Jeppe and Anette are on the case. I did like their relationship and banter but am curious why more was spent on Jeppe and his personal life
Monika Sadowski
I love good book about great detective work and this is what this novel is about. A lot of twist and turns, no dull moments or unnecessary descriptions. The old man finds a body of the young woman and detectives Jeppe Korner and Anette Werner are trying to find out what happened in the apartment building own by writer Esther de Laurenti. It was my first book written by Katrine Engberg but I need check more of her work.

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher, via NetGalley, in exchange
Laura Peden
I wanted to give this at least 3 stars but in the end I couldn’t justify it. There are no surprises. No aha moments. Like the MC, this story is a limp noodle. I had to listen to him drone on about his sad little man bits which added absolutely nothing to the story or character development. Let’s just say I won’t be waiting with bated breath for book 2.
English Translati...: Katrine Engberg - The Tenant 1 11 Nov 22, 2019 06:46PM

• Please See Us
  • Behind Every Lie
  • The Other Mrs.
  • The Other People
  • All the Best Lies (Ellery Hathaway #3)
  • Mercedes-snittet (Kaldan og Schäfer, #2)
  • Mr. Nobody
  • When We Were Vikings
  • The Prized Girl
  • The God Game
  • The Janes (Alice Vega #2)
  • You Are Not Alone
  • Ligblomsten
  • Bokcirkeln vid världens ände
  • Dead to Her

Kørner/Werner (3 books)
  • Blodmåne (Kørner/Werner, #2)
  • Glasvinge (Kørner/Werner, #3)