Start by marking “The Tenant (Kørner/Werner #1)” as Want to Read:
The Tenant (Kørner/Werner #1)

The Tenant

(Kørner/Werner #1)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  5,568 ratings  ·  1,093 reviews
When a young woman is discovered brutally murdered in her own apartment, with an intricate pattern of lines carved into her face, Copenhagen police detectives Jeppe Korner and Anette Werner are assigned to the case. In short order, they establish a link between the victim, Julie Stender, and her landlady, Esther de Laurenti, who’s a bit too fond of drink and the host of ra ...more
Published January 14th 2020 by Scout Press (first published 2016)

·  5,568 ratings  ·  1,093 reviews

Start your review of The Tenant (Kørner/Werner #1)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ring ring prrrrr…

CS representative- Hi, this is books starring limbo center 54321, what is your emergency?

Nilufer-Hi there, I had a promising Danish thriller in my hands.

CS representative- You mean Danish Kringle? Do you want its recipe?

Nilufer- No thanks, me in the kitchen cooking Danish Kringle should be real thriller plot which ends with tragic fire, stomach pumping and big cries. I’m talking about something less thrilling!

CS representative- When you tell me thrilling Danish did you mean Mad
marilyn
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm growing very fond of Nordic noir and can add The Tenant to the list of such books that I've read in the last year or so. Now that I've read it, I wish I could read the next three books in this series but from what I can tell, they haven't been translated into English so I won't be able to follow detectives Jeppe Korner and Anette Werner further along in their careers. We don't really get to know Anette very well but we get to be in Jeppe's head, as the lead detective on a murder case, just s ...more
Peter
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Succession
Katrine Engberg’s debut Scandinavian noir thriller, The Tenant is a gritty crime mystery with a riveting plot that is intricately constructed. Katrine bases her story in Copenhagen and crafts a Nordic atmosphere that is uniquely styled and vividly portrays the location in all its sweeping facets.

Julie Stender is a young woman found brutally murdered in her apartment, with multiple stab wounds and a pattern carved into her face. There is no theft or sexual assault so the crime screams o
Meredith
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Tenant is a Scandinavian mystery about a murder that mirrors the events of an unpublished manuscript.

The narrative is split between multiple characters. The main points of view are told from the perspectives of the mystery writer and the main police detective.

I love the premise of The Tenant, so much so that I bumped up my review one star because there are some original and interesting elements of the mystery that I appreciated. However, the execution was lacking.

I struggled with the wr
Chelsea Humphrey
This one has been translated into English to make it's debut in the US, and mark my words, it is THE nordic crime fiction breakout of 2020! I can't wait to follow these new detectives in the cases that come next.

"Perfect fare for fans of Jo Nesbo, Jeffrey Deaver, and Tana French...."

ME:
description

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
Beata
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Quite disappointing for me ... I finished it like two weeks ago, and if you asked me what I remember, I'd reply that not that much. A young woman is brutally murdered and the investigation by two Danish detectives begins. The motif behind the murder is interesting, however, getting to the heart of the mystery was not exciting. No thrill, no tension, nothing ...I just wanted to finish this book and return it to the OverDrive. I hope it will be a winner for other readers.
Lori
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I was disappointed in this. Katrine Engberg writes very well and the prose flows perfectly, so I'm assuming the translation is very good. The weakness is the plot; I didn't like the mystery. Opening up with a young torture/murder victim who has had deep decorative lines carved into her face while she was still alive promises great Scandy noir stuff ahead. But it didn't play out that way. Without spoiling anything, the story is all over the place and the book lacks suspense. I want to be glued to ...more
Ceecee
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a young woman is murdered in an apartment building in Copenhagen owned by Esther de Laurenti, Jeppe Kørner and Anette Werner are sent to investigate. The murder is especially brutal and the victim, identified as Julie Stende, has a paper cut pattern carved on her face. What unfolds takes the duo and the rest of the team on a very strange journey of discovery.

Well, if your literary taste runs to dramatically theatrical ‘Performance Death’ then this one is for you! I love Nordic Noir (though
Kendall
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
The premise of the Tenant had me hooked!!

But, unfortunately I struggled so much with this book. I struggled with the writing.. and am not sure if it was translation issues but I found the book to be extremely boring. I found the pacing slow, characters flat, and the mystery lacking. I had high expectations for this one and had high hopes but it just was lacking so much for me.

I think there are wayyyy to many mystery/police procedural thrillers out there that are so similar but change character
Diane S ☔
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 Engbergs US debut and a good start to a new Nordic series. Although not quite as dark and atmospheric as the usual Nordic offerings, anytime there is a murder, a certain amount of darkness follows. A murder that follows a fictional story being written by the woman who owns the building where her tenant is murdered. Jeppe and Annette are the two main investigators and their relationship is not a lovely, dovey one, but more like a long, married couple, bickering and all. Jeppe is recovering fr ...more
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Julie Stender is murdered in her own apartment, and the detectives find a link between Julie and her eccentric landlady, Esther, who also happens to be a murder mystery author. You see, Esther has penned a novel with Julie as a murdered character, and eek! But you know it can’t be that simple, right? Is Esther a victim, too? Is there someone else coordinating all of this behind the scenes?

I thought the ending was surprising and satisfying, too. I was super excited to learn detectives Jeppe and A
Sandy

This is book #1 in a series set in Copenhagen featuring Danish detectives Jeppe Kørner & Anette Werner. There are 3 more that follow, not yet translated.

It all begins with a body. In this case, a young woman named Julie Stender is found horribly mutilated in the apartment she rents from landlady Esther de Laurenti. Violent murders are rare in this city & the resulting media frenzy doesn’t help Jeppe & Anette as they begin to dismantle Julie’s life in search of their killer.

It’s a very c
Katie B
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it

This is the first book in a Nordic police detective series and I liked this one enough that I'm looking forward to reading more of these books in the future. There was a pretty solid mystery in this one although it got a bit messy and complicated towards the end. I feel like I got a bit of a taste for the two police detectives and I'm curious to learn more about their pasts as well as what's next in store for them.

Copenhagen police detectives Jeppe Korner and Anette Werner are assigned
Chris
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Helga
Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, crime
An enjoyable but slow read. It could have been a bit shorter.

A young girl’s body is found in her apartment. She has been stabbed and her face has been carved into intricate lines.
The murder is committed very much like the one written by the victim’s landlady in which the fictional victim is based on the actual one. A composed scenario has become a reality.

Who is this killer the media calls “The Knife Monster?” Why has he targeted the young tenant? And is there going to be more bloodshed?

DeAnn
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
3.75 Nordic noir stars

This somewhat dark police procedural is set in Denmark and reminds me a bit of Jo Nesbo. Katrine Engberg is a new author to me, but I understand she’s an international bestseller.

This book opens with a grisly murder scene and I spent the rest of the book trying to unravel the puzzle. I thought I had it all figured out, but no, I was way off base! There are two Copenhagen detectives Korner and Werner that work on the case and they act like an old married couple!

The murder h
Michelle
Aug 16, 2020 rated it liked it
I finally finished this and it was just okay for me. I feel like it was trying to accomplish too many things at once instead of taking ONE really good plot and running with it. I did have to put this down a few times and come back to it, but I’d still recommend it. Just don’t put it at the tippy-top of your TBR and be prepared for a slow burn.

“The impulse to hurt others dwells in us all; we understand it, even if we don’t act on it.”

It’s 6:30 a.m. and in downtown Copenhagen the third floor tenan
Carolyn
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars.
I wish to thank NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for the opportunity to read this ARC in return for an honest review. I often enjoy Nordic Noir crime stories, but I am sorry to say this one failed to resonate with me. I found it slow and the language flat. I was not feeling any sense of excitement or suspense. These ingredients were present in the plot, but the thrills I expected to feel were absent for me. The plot was complicated and well thought out with a variety of suspects, surpri
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A brutal murder in a building owned by an author who is writing a book with a similar story line causes her to be the main suspect.

Julie and her roommate Caroline live in a building owned by Esther de Laurenti, the author. Julie is murdered, and the murder has the entire police force baffled.

Nothing like this has ever happened in her building, and Esther can’t understand it.

The clues all seem to point to Esther, though, and especially since the murder scene and situation are similar to her book,
Jannelies
As a fan of 'Scandic/Nordic noir' I was very happy to being granted a review copy of this title, the start of a new series. And a debut to boot!
The book left me with a little bit of mixed feelings. Jeppe and Annette, when confronted with the murder of a young girl, set about to find the killer in almost completely different ways. A lot of characters are introduced but in the first half of the book there is almost no real action and it seems we are getting nowhere except for more complications a
Crime by the Book
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars for this compelling if slightly uneven debut. Katrine Engberg has been quickly gaining popularity in Europe, and I was so excited to read her debut novel this year. The Tenant follows two police officers in Copenhagen as they investigate a bizarre murder, one which appears to be based on an unpublished manuscript. There's a lot to love here: plenty of human drama, a vivid cast of characters, and an intricate plot. However, it took me about 100 pages to feel like this story really ...more
Linden
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julie, a 21 year old women, is found murdered and mutilated in her Copenhagen apartment. Detectives Jeppe and Anette are assigned to the difficult case, which seems to go nowhere. A suspect is found murdered, and someone confesses to the crime who obviously is lying. Details emerge from the past which shed new light on the case, but can they solve it before the deranged murderer kills again? I read a lot of Nordic Noir mysteries and have favorite translators, but was surprised that no translator ...more
Dennis
The Tenant is coming to the US in January 2020 and I see fans of Lars Kepler and Joe Nesbo fawning over this nordic noir crime-fiction novel. What starts out as a standard murder mystery, the story begins to unfold drastically to provide an over-the-top, yet definitely enjoyable, sinister master plot. I read this e-book during my commute home from Thanksgiving (thank you Dramamine for preventing motion sickness) and I read it in one-sitting! While the story is definitely bingeworthy, the cha ...more
Barbara
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of mysteries, always attempting to figure out the perpetrator. Danish author Katrine Engberg’s “The Tenant” begins with a brutal murder of a twenty-one-year-old woman. She is found by an elderly tenant of an apartment building. The murder was a bloody mess, with the woman suffering from multiple stab wounds. The murder becomes headline news and the police force is under extreme pressure to solve the case.

Detectives Jeppe Korner and Annette Werner are assigned to the case. I enjoye
Lisa Leone-campbell
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Tenant is an old-fashion who done it with flawed investigators who are bright and sassy, and a murder mystery which takes so many turns your head will spin.

Julie Stender is a woman in her twenties who is found murdered in her apartment with mysterious knife markings on her face. A lovely girl who seemingly had no enemies, no one can understand why.

Incredibly, the owner of the building, Esther de Laurenti, a retired elderly woman who likes her wine, is in the process of writing her first myst
Judy
Nov 28, 2019 rated it liked it
A debut Scandanavian crime thriller featuring two police detectives, Jeppe Kørner and Anette Werner, who are the Copenhagen officers assigned to the case of a brutally murdered young woman. Jeppe is the main character and he is well-drawn as a stereotypical flawed police detective who has been on the job a long time. He's divorced, but hasn't gotten over his wife leaving him. We don't learn a lot about his partner, Anette, other than she's married and that Jeppe finds her irritating.

The case is
Laura Peden
I wanted to give this at least 3 stars but in the end I couldn’t justify it. There are no surprises. No aha moments. Like the MC, this story is a limp noodle. I had to listen to him drone on about his sad little man bits which added absolutely nothing to the story or character development. Let’s just say I won’t be waiting with bated breath for book 2.
Kathy
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a superior book providing a great reading experience. It is described as "literary suspense" and I couldn't say it better than that. It was published in Denmark in 2016 and will be available in US January 2020. I was granted arc by Simon and Schuster's Scout Press through Net Galley - a big thank you! This is a debut novel for author Katrine Engberg. She is a brilliant writer gifted in characterizations, pace and evolved empathetic humanism that allows her to circle back and give her cha ...more
Fictionophile
To read my complete review of this novel visit: https://fictionophile.com/2020/04/08/...

This police procedural is the first of four novels in the Danish crime fiction series set in Copenhagen featuring Danish detectives Jeppe Kørner & Anette Werner. So far, this is the only one that has been translated to English, and I can assure you the translation is seamless.

The characters were portrayed very sympathetically and I really enjoyed the intricate plotting. Of the two lead detectives, Jeppe Kørne
Zoe
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Creepy, twisty, and ominous!

The Tenant is the start of a brand-new series by Engberg that sweeps you away to Copenhagen, Denmark where the prickly detective duo Kørner and Werner find themselves investigating a new complicated case involving a murder that seems to be plucked right off the pages of the landlord’s most recent manuscript, and a mutilated murder victim with a past full of secrets.

The prose is cunning and intense. The characters are secretive, flawed, and realistic. And the plot is a
English Translati...: Katrine Engberg - The Tenant 1 15 Nov 22, 2019 06:46PM
English Translati...: Katrine Engberg - The Tenant 2 13 Oct 09, 2019 07:58AM
English Translati...: Katrine Engberg - The Tenant 1 12 Jul 18, 2019 09:43AM

• Bokcirkeln vid världens ände
  • The Only Good Indians
  • A Small Town: A Novel of Crime
  • Bitter Falls (Stillhouse Lake #4)
  • Single
  • Jeg finder dig altid
  • Kold Angst
  • Moral Compass
  • Die Opfer, die man bringt (Sebastian Bergman, #6)
  • Herravälde
  • Vargen (Charlotta Lugn & Shirin Sundin, #6)
  • Lady Clementine
  • A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
  • A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
  • The Missing Letters of Mrs Bright
  • Hid from Our Eyes (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #9)
  • I fikonträdets skugga
  • Avdelning 73 (Emma Sköld, #4)
Katrine Engberg had already attained the status of acclaimed dancer and choreographer when she began writing. Honing her voice and authorship while simultaneously continuing to contribute to the Arts, both as a director and a choreographer, Engberg soon emerged as a virtuoso of sensitive portrayals and ingeniously intertwined plot threads. Written in 2016, The Tenant is Engberg’s crime fiction deb ...more

Kørner/Werner (5 books)
  • The Butterfly House (Kørner/Werner #2)
  • Glasvinge (Kørner/Werner, #3)
  • Vådeskud (Kørner/Werner, #4)
  • Isola (Kørner/Werner #5)