Start by marking “The Langoliers” as Want to Read:
The Langoliers

The Langoliers

Stephen King’s unforgettable novella—first included in his 1990, award-winning collection Four Past Midnight and made into a highly acclaimed miniseries—about a terrifying plane ride into a most unfriendly sky.

On a cross-country, redeye flight from Los Angeles to Boston, ten passengers awaken in Bangor, Maine, to find that the crew and most of their fellow passengers have
Published November 12th 2019 by Scribner (first published January 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Langoliers, please sign up.

Start your review of The Langoliers
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Langoliers, Stephen King
The Langoliers is a horror miniseries consisting of two episodes of 1 hours each. It was directed and written by Tom Holland and based on the novella by Stephen King from the four part anthology book Four past Midnight. The series was produced by Mitchell Galin and David R. Kappes. The miniseries originally aired May 14–15, 1995 on the ABC network. During a red eye flight of a Lockheed L-1011 from Los Angeles International Airport to Boston Logan International
Trudi

Over the years this has remained one of my favorite pieces of King's writing. In a phrase, IT IS AWESOME. The first time you read it there is so much mystery, tension, what the bleep mindfuck going on that it literally keeps you on the edge of your seat. As a science fiction story, I proclaim it a classic.

You really want to come to this novella completely blind, because the reveals are so rewarding you don't want to be robbed of them early. But I have discovered upon subsequent re-reads (and
Jake
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You remember that first time as an adult when you watched an old Hanna-Barbera cartoon that you loved as a kid and you almost choked to death from hoarking up some stomach acid because you just discovered that you spent like 12 years of your life being a total dumbfuck?

That's The Langoliers.

I loved The Langoliers when I was a kid. And even today, creepy airplane stories just do it for me. So, with fall happening, this seemed like a perfect time to revisit a story I've loved for 20 years, but
Dimitri
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy, fiction
The Langoliers tear through this story of gradual bewilderment so swiftly that you barely have time to ask yourself the million dollar question: how does Stephen King do it ? Even in short story format, he can stretch a one-trick pony. On-screen would take up two seconds to reveal itself to the audience; how can he kill so much time with dialogue and mood-building so as to keep us flipping the pages ? Unlike a slasher movie, Stephen King only needs one kill. We only need one read. It's the ...more
Anna
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this -- very much in line with King's stuff from the '80s. Not everything was explained with the "time rip" and other fantasy time travelling elements of the narrative, but the story had a nice satisfying ending because the characters are so well written and the action is well paced. Eager to see what comes next in "Four Past Midnight."
Marts  (Thinker)
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hey, this is one of those Stephen King books that I could just read over and over, and hey, I haven't said anything about the movie as yet, I've actually seen it about 5 times.
Imagine that a guy who's entire life is built on a fear of an imaginary thing!!
Paul
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written. Has mystery wrapped up in elements of Horror and Even a little romance.
Mafalda Fernandes
This was a gripping roller-coaster of emotions and actions!
I couldn't put the book down, I really need to find out what would happen to the characters.
Chris DiLeo
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm cheating: "The Longoliers" is one of four novellas in FOUR PAST MIDNIGHT, but this is my GoodReads blog and I'll do what I want. (Besides, the story is 246 pages in the hardcover edition, and that makes it capable of standing alone.)

I read that collection when I was twelve or thirteen and, along with CUJO, PET SEMATARY, NIGHTMARES AND DREAMSCAPES, and NEEDFUL THINGS, it introduced me to King, hooked me on his work, and—to a far more important degree—hooked me on reading.

That addiction has
Jamie
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, time-travel
I think I felt almost as unsettled as the characters in this tale full of the unkown with twists and turns. From alternate dimensions, government conspirisies, time travel and childhood nightmares this book is filled with a mystery to solve as to what happened to the rest of the world and can these few survivors ever live a normal life again. I loved the characters. Well, most of them. One had too small a role to get any feel for. I don't even think he got a name in the book. But even the ...more
Vanessa
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best Stephen King stories I've ever read. Totally riveting! Also listened to it while flying... not sure I can say that's recommended for everyone. But I loved it!
Dennis
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I'm only rating 'Langoliers' here (322 pages), which really has been a letdown for me. Especially as this was only my second King, after reading 'Needful Things', which I liked a lot. So expectations were high.

Also included in this edition is 'Das heimliche Fenster, der heimliche Garten (Secret Window, Secret Garden)' which is a totally different matter. That one I liked very much. So I decided to rate it separately, because the two stories are too far apart for me, in terms of personal
Merci Pol
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best
With their existence, Langoliers outlined many of zigzag lines full of nothing, straight across my mind, that would under normal circumstances say some exotic words about this phenomenal Kings's creation.
Zizeloni
Pretty good. A few characters, one crazy just so to make things even more difficult. Things more or less worked out pretty easily. I liked it, but having read many Stephen king books, there are better than this one.
Conor McHugh
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, just as good as short stories can get. In fact its pretty much a novel. Over 200 pages, yes i think it just about counts as a novel.

Great inventive and suspenseful storyline, amazing characters. I couldnt stop thinking about this story. I even watched the mini series on youtube whilst reading it. Well not at the same time, but you get me, like i read 50 pages, then watched it up to that point.
One of my fave KING stories and looking forward to reading the other short stories in "four past
Steve
Apr 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Langoliers is a good story. I can't put it any other way. I loved the Idea of the time rip being mistaken for the Aurora Borealis. The Langoliers had a lot of good ideas and developed them nicely, keeping the more outlandish ones within the realm of possibility. The plot was smooth (not any jerky transitions) and was very fun to read. It was also intelligent. It's one of those books you can't stop reading, it hooks you and doesn't let go. There was also less profanity that most of Stephen ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This is more of a science fiction/thriller than horror. I enjoyed the ensemble cast, particularly the enigmatic Nick. This story does keep you wondering how things will be resolved. I thought the miniseries was pretty true to the story as well. Really liked the actor they chose to play Nick. He nailed him. I really like to see King try something that isn't his usual genre, as he did with Eyes of a Dragon. I think it was a success. My copy is in Four Past Midnight. Probably won't read the other ...more
Jack Saxon
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this one! Some say that it doesn't hold up all that well...but I have to say that the creativity in the writing is good enough to overpower any issues the book might have. I wish I could say the same for the quirky TV movie version. Oh well, they can't all be brilliant!
Tony Laplume
I've read and/or experienced a fair chunk of King over the years. The Langoliers follows the pattern and logic of The Stand, 11/22/63, The Mist, and probably other tales. Clearly there's a fair bit of obsessiveness in the thought pattern ("All work and no play..."). This is a minor variant.

You have the small group of survivors. You have the magical and/or disabled person. You have the crazy person. You have the leader-type-who-doesn't-want-to-be-the-leader type. Anyway. The ones that stick out
Kevin
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
An idea that kept me interested until near the ending; time travel into an empty world. Since it had an apocalyptic theme, it instantly gets a few stars from me. However, the actual langoliers were a bit silly and I felt like the book fell apart a little once they were introduced. In general, there were a lot of ideas that weren't really delved as much as they could have been, making this book feel like an idea concept that was in testing but not fleshed out completely.

Seems most of the Stephen
♥ Marlene♥
Re read. I am on aSK tour.Have been reading the books I did not read more than two and three times,which means the newer books.. Well not really because this is not a"new" book but have read this one just 2 times perhaps even just once.

Enjoyed this story then and now.I like how it works with the Dark Tower books and it made me think.I even did some research about the colony and the ship of which the people all disappeared.
Enjoyed
Marieke
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-thriller
5 stars!
Four past midnight (Tweeduister) is a collection of two novellas: 'Langoliers' and 'Secret Window, Secret Garden'.
This is my first King book and many more to come! It was a very well written piece. And it kept me on the edge of my seat as I read it almost in one sitting.
Erin
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so good. SO GOOD. I felt like I was right there with the characters, on that plane, the whole time. Time travel plus Stephen King plus making me cry? 5 enthusiastic stars.
itchy
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
12october2019

read as part of the collection four past midnight, back in 2004 when i was supposedly studying for the board exams.
Gaby
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my 'new' Stephen King favourites!
Nathan
The concept for the story is very cool. I hated the characters. By far the weakest story in Four Past Midnight.
Britt
Tag yourself, I'm the dude that sleeps through the entire book
Shirley Eiswerth (Quackenbush)
Hearing this was much more terrifying than reading it..
Sarah Cassidy
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The theme is time, and does Stephen King ever make time a salient backdrop. I would advise against reading this if you have coronary heart disease and/or a type A personality. I grew up with this story, having seen the film probably a dozen times. In this, my first time reading, I still white-knuckled the pages despite full awareness of the outcome. King's hypothesis of time--what happens when the present becomes the past--is both fascinating and plausible within the realm of the langoliers.

Ron
While reading The Langoliers, I thought of another of King’s novellas, The Mist. These two novellas do not have the same plot, but there are a few similarities. I love reading King, and eventually I’ll complete that quest to finish all of his works. The Langoliers is one of those, and occasionally my brain gets stuck in “remembering” the others.

After waking mid-flight on an airplane, a small group of passengers realize that they have stepped in flown into some deep doo-doo. Everyone has
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Green Mile: The Screenplay
  • Twilight Eyes
  • Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Volume 1: Prodigal Son
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
Stephen Edwin King was born the second son of Donald and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury King. After his father left them when Stephen was two, he and his older brother, David, were raised by his mother. Parts of his childhood were spent in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where his father's family was at the time, and in Stratford, Connecticut. When Stephen was eleven, his mother brought her children back to Durham, ...more
“Maybe Shooter was a writer. He fulfilled both of the main requirements: he told a tale you wanted to hear to the end, even if you had a pretty good idea what the end was going to be, and he was so full of shit he squeaked. ” 4 likes
“He remembered a pilot telling him once, 'They pay us a hundred thousand dollars or more a year, Brian, and they really do it for just one reason. They know that in almost every pilot's career, there are thirty or forty seconds when he might actually make a difference. They pay us not to freeze when those seconds finally come.” 1 likes