Start by marking “Consider This: Moments in My Writing Life After Which Everything Was Different” as Want to Read:
Consider This: Moments in My Writing Life After Which Everything Was Different

Consider This: Moments in My Writing Life After Which Everything Was Different

Renowned, bestselling novelist Chuck Palahniuk takes us behind the scenes of the writing life, with postcards from decades on the road and incredible examination of the power of fiction and the art of storytelling.

In this spellbinding blend of memoir and insight, bestselling author Chuck Palahniuk shares stories and generous advice on what makes writing powerful and what
Audiobook
Published January 7th 2020 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Consider This, please sign up.
luv4pez The author identifies as LGBTQ+. There's nothing in the content of the book that's LGBTQ+.

Start your review of Consider This: Moments in My Writing Life After Which Everything Was Different
Max III
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This might be one of the best craft books ever written.
R.K. Gold
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A lot of practical advice and first hand anecdotes by one of the most fascinating authors alive today.

He offers some rules for writers to follow while keeping the reader engaged with tales of his personal writing journey.
Ken
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've only read one Palahniuk book (Fight Club) and this, like that, is one fast-moving vehicle, which you might not expect from a writing advice book.

On that point, it scores high marks, especially the first half of the book, where advice, some of it unconventional, comes fast and furious after the repetitive device of "If you were my student, I'd tell you...."

A lot of this is insider information. A veteran of writing groups, CP shares advice he learned from writing groups. Then from writers
Lori
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book from a great bookstore and am excited to read it because Ive read fiction books by this author previously.

At only 20 pages in, Im enjoying this book. Seems helpful in a practical not preachy way. One thing mentioned is not to let readers lose track of who is saying what. I would not have been able to articulate this as a reader, or not as well as he has, but I totally agree. Ive read many books, including ones I really liked, where I couldnt tell which characters in the novel
Nick Craske
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admire CP's distinctive style and his commitment to grafting. I read Fight Club back in 1996 and felt the swagger and heft of his stark and brutal style. Not an author I read anymore but I'm reading everything I can on writing craft and writers' personal experiences of how they develop.
Tom Mooney
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Really enjoyable read. The writing tips may be useful, if you're I writer. I wouldn't know. But the stories from his days on book tours are absolutely priceless. Palahniuk's events unsurprisingly attract all kinds of oddballs and his tales about these interactions are bloody hilarious.
Mel
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1. Recommended for: Minimalists and/or Palahniuk fans, but you needn't be either to appreciate it, if you ask me.

2. The last time I highlighted a book as much as I did this one, it was Steven Pressfield's The War of Art, which I highlighted so heavily that my Kindle started crashing every time. Worth it; it's one of the books I'm just perpetually reading now, starting over again as soon as I finish.

3. YMMV, of course, but for me...

Okay so sometimes I find a writing book written by someone whose
Herminia Chow
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About the book: Its part memoir and part writing advice.

First impressions: I love reading about writing, so I was excited to delve into this. I like the title, and the cover is clever.

Content: Palahniuk offers good advice, both his own and from other writers as well. He covers topics like tension, authority, plus much more. I expected the book to focus mainly on the writing process, but I loved the insights into things like doing book tours.

What if world events are unfolding in perfect order to
Peter Derk
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazingly solid book of writing tips. I wish this existed ten (okay, who am I kidding, 15) years ago.

It's more than writing tips...I'd call it a distilled method. Chuck does away with the mysticism and whatnot behind writing, that stuff where it's like, "I'm an ARTISTE!" and talks about some concrete methods that'll improve just about anyone's storytelling.

A lot of these sorts of books shy away from giving direct, concrete advice, but Chuck tells people what to do, and then says, "Once you
Heather Webb
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great craft book. I enjoyed the way the author embedded a craft tip within the context of a vignette, as well as the hilarious anecdotes about his incredible book tours over the years. I listened to it on audio and it was an easy listen. I'll likely buy a hardcover to return to his prompts and reading lists.
Brittney
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been waiting my whole life for Chuck Palahniuk to write this book. As a writer myself, I have the utmost respect for his willingness to push the envelope and to do it in such a stylistically sharp and unique way. To learn about his process and observations about what makes a piece of fiction work have sparked my desire to dive into my own writing in the most honest and fervent manner that I can, which seems to be his intention with this book. His vignettes about touring and his writing ...more
Nicole Turner
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Chuck is a great teacher, this is the textbook you need to be a better writer.
Matt Nagin
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book really impressed me. I am not generally a fan of books that offer writing advice. The process in instinctive as far as I can tell. I've taken some workshops and learned from them, for sure, but always found trial and error the best teacher.

But I'm digressing a bit. This book mixes writing advice and tricks of the trade Chuck P. learned from various esteemed writers and from workshops. There are also some amusing anecdotes that perhaps, in a way, serve as models as well as just
Angus McKeogh
A good read for both of the major things it provided: instruction and perspectives. Instructions in the writing process from a writer who is very much outside the norm of the classic form. And perspectives from his life as a writer. Like I said. A good read.
Books on Stereo
Fans of writing memoirs may find this Palahniuk-inized version of writing advice to be either helpful or largely useless.
Chris Via
Review forthcoming.
Richard Gray
(3.5 stars scaled) Its often hard to take self-help books on writing seriously. If the writer hasnt published a bestseller, one might think they lack credibility. If they deliver the same content after a string of hits, its possible youll find yourself yelling "Stop preaching at me from your ivory tower, buddy!" Hell, my own attempts at the subject have always felt a little self-serving.

Which is what makes Chuck Palahniuks CONSIDER THIS: MOMENTS IN MY WRITING LIFE AFTER WHICH EVERYTHING WAS
Ross Jeffery
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fabulous insight into Chucks writing craft - so many useful tidbits of information, stories, examples, teaching - this has got to be up there with On Writing by Stephen King for all aspiring and current writers! Longer review coming to STORGY and Ill update... ...more
Chris DiLeo
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am not a Chuck Palahniuk disciple, not the fan who devours his books and reads excerpts like Bible passagesI've read FIGHT CLUB and a smattering of his short storiesbut this book on writing is a brilliant, indispensible resource for fiction writers at all stages.

The tone is avuncular and sincere, the advice insightful and immediately applicable. The early chapter "Textures" is alone worth the cost of the book.

Throughout the book, Palahniuk gives advice for creating more immediate, effective
John Shurina
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember a time when my writing halted because I realized I was trying, and failing, to sound like Palahniuk. That failure was important to my development because I realized that maybe I shouldn't be Palahniukthat after all Palahniuk had covered all the bases of being Palahniuk. I believe that if you follow this book's rules perfectly, you might sound a lot like Palahniuk. There are certain tricks he teaches (e.g. unconventional conjunctions, template chapters, the infamous Chuck chorus) that ...more
Danni
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2019
Lots of great, inspirational writing advice to be found here as well as interesting writing prompts. Palahniuk often uses the framing, if you were my student and his voices really shines through.

Note that Palahniuk references his own books and stories a lot (including spoilers for Fight Club), so if someone's looking for a pure writing guide it helps to be acquainted with his work.

This small personal anecdotes don't give as much insight into Palahniuk's life as I hoped but they do delve into
Emmett Grogan
Good, practical writing tips from an author who (let's face it) has had a crazy career (I can't believe the guy still goes out and gives readings, after some of the stories he tells "from the road".)

In some ways, I predict this book will be even more useful than Stephen King's "On Writing", because Palahniuk offers a LOT of concrete writing advice; in other ways, some of the advice he gives is weirdly specific to situations only Chuck Palahniuk would write about, and I don't think the world
Marie
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book? Where do I start? Its going to make me a better writer. It already has. I hadnt been a big Chuck Palahniuk fan. I saw Fight Club, and *maybe* I read Choke, but maybe I just saw the movie. I definitely read Guts at some point. Ive always been intrigued by him and his ability to make you want to vomit and feel your feelings in the same sentence.

A lot of it is Fiction 101, but certainly not all of it, and the difference between this book and other craft books Ive read is that it
lily
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love Chuck Palahniuk. He's one of the first authors I can remember devouring every release, energetically, waiting to talk to my friends about it. There's something so unique, and real, about his writing; that he can take the sometimes unbelievable, surreal events and make them marvelous and interesting, while inviting you to sympathize with sometimes unscrupulous or extraordinary characters/events. And I think that's great, beautiful writing.

Now that my review on his general writing is
Tom
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If youve read any of Palahniuks writing essays on Litreactor website then some of this writing lore will he familiar, but the author gives new context and example in this book. From submerging the I to Description from within the pov, this book will inspire any would-be or experienced writer. Like Stephen Kings On Writing, Consider this is part writing advice and part biography. Whether youre into his brand of weird-dark fiction or not, theres riches here to be mined for one and all. Highly ...more
Leah Clifford
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the best writing books I've read, though I wish it was a little longer. Then again, it could have been twice as long and I'd still want more so... Got the audiobook from the library and will be buying a hard copy for future reference.
Andrew Shaffer
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First rule of Write Club...
Michael Kress
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I've been an avid reader for several years, and the amount that I read has only increased since I've been on goodreads, so, just like with music when I was younger, the fact that I consumed the art gave me desire to create it. So, I started writing book reviews on here. I had a desire to be a writer, and I was doing what writers do. They write. Then I started writing short essays. I noticed that my writing was sloppy, that nobody would probably want to read that. I created a discipline of ...more
thehalcyondaysofsummer
Opening lines: Bob Maull scared the crap out of me. ...more
Melody Giannullo
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book made me want to write.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Dutch House
  • The Family Upstairs
  • What A Body Remembers: A Memoir of Sexual Assault and Its Aftermath
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • The Water Dancer
  • Olive, Again
  • Furious Hours: Murder, Fraud, and the Last Trial of Harper Lee
  • Nothing to See Here
  • Between Heaven and Hell: The Story of My Stroke
  • The Night Window (Jane Hawk #5)
  • The God Child
  • Grand Union: Stories
  • True Grit
  • When You Ask Me Where I'm Going
  • The Christmas Pact
  • Quiet Girl in a Noisy World: An Introvert's Story
  • Lucky Suit (Sexy Suits, #1)
Written in stolen moments under truck chassis and on park benches to a soundtrack of The Downward Spiral and Pablo Honey, Fight Club came into existence. The adaptation of Fight Club was a flop at the box office, but achieved cult status on DVD. The films popularity drove sales of the novel. Chuck put out two novels in 1999, Survivor and Invisible Monsters. Choke, published in 2001, became Chucks ...more

Articles featuring this book