Start by marking “Warriors, Witches, Women: Mythology's Fiercest Females” as Want to Read:
Warriors, Witches, Women: Mythology's Fiercest Females

Warriors, Witches, Women: Mythology's Fiercest Females

Warriors, Witches, Womenis a guide to awe-inspiring mythical female creatures; from feminist fairies to bloodsucking, seductive temptresses, half-human half-bird harpies created from the wind, or protective voodoo goddesses who still impact on African-American cultural feminism.

The stories of fierce females from mythologyandfolklore are retold,placingwomenfirmly at the
Expected publication: February 4th 2020 by White Lion Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Warriors, Witches, Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warriors, Witches, Women

Start your review of Warriors, Witches, Women: Mythology's Fiercest Females
amanda
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What kind of legacy do you want to leave behind? What do you want to be known for?

Warrior? Goddess? Monster? Witch? Queen?

Harbinger?

Ghost…

Uh, I think you all know what I would choose.

Witchy Ghost Queen remixed with Goddess

This world is made of mythos. History is laced with fact and fiction and they intertwine. We have prayed to the Gods and Goddesses, sent our strongest soldiers off to wars, we dare not speak the name of certain spirits in fear of invoking their wrath.

We learn to not repeat
Sarah M
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This is a beautiful book - I thoroughly enjoyed it - and I'd strongly recommend Hodges's book to people wanting to get to know some female mythological characters, some of which are still revered today. Hodges brings up both more well-known goddesses, spirits and fairies, but also some that might not be that familiar to everyone, and she spans many different regions of the world., not just the Greco-Roman region, but also Basque, Hawaiian, Welsh, Lithuanian and Vietnamese deities, fairies and ...more
Annie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: witchy
DOPE! Celebrates the female past and mythical; truly feminine.
Kirby
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
This book is a bit of a puzzler. I was incredibly excited to learn about a variety of female lore and whilst the list of them is sufficient, the explanation within is a bit of a letdown. If you're looking for rudimentary explanations of babba yaga, the furies, and pele with beautiful art then this book will serve your purpose. However, the writing itself leaves a bit to be desired. I didn't find the stories written in a compelling way which is so unfortunate given the vibrancy of these ...more
Rose
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved learing about mythological women and spirits from around the world. I wish it had gone more in depth about each one though. It was a good geeral overview however and I enjoyed it.

I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy free of charge. This is my honest and unbiased opinion of.
The Kawaii Slartibartfast
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This book is dynamite! Packed to the gills with mythology, Warriors, Witches, Women explores legendary female figures.
For having so much information it's a surprisingly quick read!
Juli Rahel
Dec 03, 2019
BookEnds&BagEnds
As the saying goes, history is written by the victor, and invariably that victor is a man. This has been the case throughout history and stretches back into the distant mists of mythology.

When I think of mythology my mind brings up images of Achilles standing triumphantly above the body of Hector by the gates of Troy, Jason departing Colchis clutching tightly the Golden Fleece and mighty Thor wielding Mjolnir.

Also I think of Medusa, cold and evil. Helen of Troy, beautiful yet treacherous and the
Janet
When it is snowy and cold outside, superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do
Sam
Jason
Heather Nixon
is currently reading it
Nov 24, 2019
Kate graduated from the University of Westminster with a BA in Print Journalism. She has over 20 years writing experience on magazines, having been a staffer on publications including The Face, Bizarre, Just Seventeen, Smash Hits and Sky, and written for many more, including The Guardian, The Sunday Express, Kerrang! and NME. She has also worked for Rapido TV, makers of cult show Eurotrash, luxury ...more