Start by marking “Mulan: Before the Sword” as Want to Read:
Mulan: Before the Sword

Mulan: Before the Sword

An original novel that will explore and develop the world and characters of the Walt Disney Studios live action Mulan film.
Published February 11th 2020 by Disney Press

To ask other readers questions about Mulan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mulan

Start your review of Mulan: Before the Sword
Jenni
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story focuses on Mulan, before she saves the emperor (like in the movie). This is set a while before that, when Mulan wonders if she will ever be able to honor her family, because she is seen as outspoken and spirited. A good book, full of side stories that tell the tales of the gods.
J.
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mulan: Before the Sword is so much more than a great story. It is mythological-inspired fiction fused with Disney heroine-ism. Disney princesses are one thing; Disney warriors are another.

Before Mulan took her ailing father’s spot in the Chinese military, she embarked on a quest to save her sister, Xiu. Seeking out a unique healer to assist in finding a cure for Xiu’s deadly spider bite, Mulan’s reality hits the pause button and an extraordinary exploration ensues; complete with prophecy and
Angela Germany
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced ebook copy. All opinions are my own.
In this prequel to the Disney movie, we are introduced Mulan’s sister Xiu. When a poisonous nine-legged spider bites her sister, Mulan must gather all her courage and go on a quest to find the magical ingredients needed to save her. She must have Dragon Beard Grass that only grows on one island and a blossom of the Essence of Heavenly Majesty from a plant in the garden of the immortal Queen Mother. Without these ingredients, her sister
Meghan
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Disney Book Group - Disney Press in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

Mulan is one of my favorite Disney movies and when I heard about this book I had to jump at the chance and see for myself if this book met my high expectations and I must say not only did it do that but it took my interest into a whole new level. This book was the real meaning of why I fell in love with the tale in the first
Beth Mendelsohn
Dec 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc-s
I received this e-ARC from NetGalley and Disney in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
This story take place before the events in the Disney animated movie. Mulan’s sister, Xiu, is bitten by a 9-legged white spider and is slowly dying. Mulan seeks help from the Healer, also known as the Jade Rabbit, to help save Xiu. They have until the new moon to find the rare ingredients that will cure the spider venom. Mulan and the Rabbit are constantly thwarted by the White Fox, who
Kannan
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is a prequel to the story we all already know and love about Mulan from the animated movie. We are introduced to side stories and characters in more depth that we were not aware of before. It contains much more Chinese mythology than the movie, and I found it to be a distraction rather than adding to the story. The story of her sister Xiu, who is bitten by a spider puts Mulan on a quest to help heal her.

This is a must read for fans of Disney and Mulan. A story that contains love,
Ben Haskett
Looking forward to reading this. Bought at a local bookstore with plans to read to my daughters (4 and 6), who love Mulan. After seeing the prologue, I do wonder if it might be too tough for them -- especially my youngest. It seems tense and adventurous, which is good, I only mean the reading level might be a bit high (even if they're listening to me read it). But I'm just going to roll with it. Worst-case scenario is that this will go down like when I read them The Hobbit, which always ...more
Susan Graves
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced copy of Mulan and was so excited partially because of the amazing backstory but also because Disney Press releases some amazing material. Wether you are a Mulan fan or a Disney fan or non of the above I think readers of all ages will enjoy and appreciate this book. It is a fun look into the backstory of our friend Mulan. Well written and clearly done so with careful research.
Debbie Tanner
This very exciting adventure book is the backstory of Mulan. Mulan's sister has been bitten by a magical spider and it's up to Mulan (the clumsy, overeager breaker of things) to help. Mulan sets up on a epic quest to find two plants to make a tea to help her sister, but it turns out there's a dangerous Immortal trying to stop her. Mulan is not sure who to trust, not even herself. This is a wonderful epic adventure. I think the kids are going to like this one a lot.
♠ TABI ♠
Oct 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: netgalley
I'm never going to let go of the fact that they've erased my childhood love, Li Shang, but at the same time this is more Mulan content so I'm here for it

also I've read some of this author's works and she is a low-key favorite
Amanda Arkans -
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to love this book but it just wasn't for me. I very much appreciated the references to Chinese folklore, but could not embrace the story line the way I hoped I would.
Karen Troutman
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Net Galley for providing the digital ARC for this book. I am a librarian and read it to see if we would want to add this to our library. Great book for Young Adult readers.
Amy Wong
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book!!! Must read! My 10 year daughter finished this amazing story in 2 days. Highly recommend! Will be a classic! So many twists but easy to follow. So creative & beautiful.
Melonie
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. The story was very interesting.
Dave Sloan
Jan 11, 2020
Soup
rated it did not like it
Oct 29, 2019
♛primadonna♛
Oct 07, 2019
T.J. Burns
Oct 08, 2019

• Don't Check Out This Book!
  • If We Were Giants
  • Fledgling (Sorcery and Society, #2)
  • Changeling (Sorcery and Society, #1)
  • Winter Turning (Wings of Fire, #7)
  • Moon Rising (Wings of Fire #6)
  • The Hidden Kingdom (Wings of Fire, #3)
  • Escaping Peril (Wings of Fire, #8)
  • The Brightest Night (Wings of Fire, #5)
  • The Dark Secret (Wings of Fire, #4)
  • Eavesdropping on Elephants
  • Sea Otter Heroes
  • Kenzie Kickstarts a Team (The Derby Daredevils #1)
  • I Was Their American Dream: A Graphic Memoir