Start by marking “Tiny Little Brother” as Want to Read:
Tiny Little Brother

Tiny Little Brother

The journey of one big sister and her tiny little brother told through a poetic short story. Dedicated to big sisters, big brothers, little sisters and little brothers everywhere. From the #1 Munn Quay Times best-selling author, Leva Khal.
Published April 14th 2019 by Ania Inna ra

To ask other readers questions about Tiny Little Brother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tiny Little Brother

Start your review of Tiny Little Brother
marilyn
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is for teens, young adults, and adults and is both written and illustrated by Leva Khal. I was attracted to it because of the cover art but inside there is so much more. This is a nitty gritty little book, showing how a baby born into the family of a sixteen year old girl, changes her life for the better despite the heartaches of life. This book also touches on depression, separation, the harms of trying to overachieve, and leaving those you love to find what is best for you. But still ...more
Belinda
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars - complementary Ebook by the author ☘️☘️☘️
It has to sink in. This story is so honest that it hurts.
I can not decide this is a book for adults, teens or kids. But surely it is a book for little brothers and big sisters. Or for big brothers and little sisters. 🐥🐥🐥
I liked ready it. But it took some time to give it a place and a review. 🦋🦋🦋
etherealfire
poignant, touching
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tiny Little Brother, a poetic fiction story complete with simple, engaging illustrations, is a lot deeper than it appears at first glance. An honest, un-sugarcoated look at a real family and a sister whose younger brother eventually leads to conflict, Tiny Little Brother really doesn't lie about the struggles that can happen between siblings, and it deals with heavy themes such as depression and sibling rivalry, but ultimately it's a book about how a brother and sister can be different people an ...more
Susan's Reviews
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times cute, many times joyful and contemplative during the early years. Then they start to age, conflicts arise and big sister and little brother start to live their own lives . A sweet but also realistic story.
My thanks to the author for a complimentary ebook in exchange for an honest review.
Cara Smyth
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful story about the love a big sister has for her little brother. Full of love and emotion and truth this book is beautifully illustrated and written
Anastasia シ
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2019
*a copy was provided by NetGalley*

Super adorable book!
I don't read poetry often, but I when I do I always seem to choose something I actually like. It was simple, had engaging illustrations, and is a lot deeper than it appears.
This tells the story of the love a big sister has for her little brother. I'm an only child so I couldn't personally relate to it. But I can relate in some ways, like when I visit my younger cousins (9 &12), I definitely see something similar to what was described.
I'm de
chloe ♡
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
i was granted a review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

what an adorable little story told in verse. the illustrations were so cute, and the author described the love-hate relationship between siblings really well.
Janet
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: k-e-k

This is such an adorable book - a cute story that ill warm the hearts of siblings everywhere. It is well written and I was enchanted by it and so happy that the author provided this for free for me to share with friends and family.

I am fully embracing the Icelandic tradition, The Jólabókaflóð --- I just wish that peopl
Amy Ingalls
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways, poetry
I won this book in a giveaway.

The cover is very cute!

The poem has a very simple (and not always successful) rhyme scheme. A lot of it felt like the poems that my students write, with forced rhymes that don't really work unless you pronounce the words just so. I found it very simplistic.

I wasn't feeling any emotional investment, until she cut her hair. That section of the poem, and its accompanying drawings, were sad. It is apparent that the big sister is dealing with depression, and maybe abuse
Michelle
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I’m actually in tears. I’ve only read this once, and I’m sure there much hidden in the words that I haven’t caught onto yet.
Powerful. Lost for words.
I don’t know much about the author and I know on the surface this is about a brother and sister, but I feel it is so much more. I myself have two little brothers, and I can definitely relate to that aspect but as an adult woman, this book hit me hard in so many other ways. This has to be one of my favorite books this year.
Anomaly
I'm so conflicted by this book. I found it in the YA section, but it's far closer to a children's book because it's so simplistic in both art style and writing. Most second graders would be able to understand the book with minimal help from an adult (or older sibling). Teens... I honestly can't imagine they'd be able to read this without feeling embarrassment because of how simply it's written.

In fact, I found it so odd that this is from the perspective of someone who was sixteen when her little
melhara
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: older sisters who helped raise their baby brothers
Recommended to melhara by: Leva Khal
This was a bittersweet poetic picture book that touches upon more serious themes of family and growing up.

I would recommend this to those who helped raise their baby siblings. I think many older siblings (specifically older sisters) would enjoy this book or be able to relate to it more. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of those people since I only have a younger brother who is only a year younger than I am. I've never treated my brother as a baby and was never very protective of him.... (in fact, he
El
Aug 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
This just wasn’t for me (after I waited so long for the Ebook to work too!)
Some of the prose didn’t flow right & the images just weren’t great, like I know they were meant to be that kind of style but it just wasn’t for me.
Jordan
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this book for free in a Goodreads giveaway.

I think this story is more for older children and teens, the poems are very simple rhymes and words easy enough for a second grader to read. The story is fairly simple also and I think it actually could have had more depth. I would have enjoyed that. The ending is rather abrupt. The illustrations are very nice. The style is sort of webcomic meets Madeline.
Eileen
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who is a sibling, anyone who enjoys poetry
I had to sit with this one a bit to fully realize the impact of the book. I initially categorized it as a children's book, but now that I have had time to think of it, I think it's got a lot to say for young adults, and really anyone who is a sibling. Poetry is not my favorite genre, partly because I don't always "get it", but I was drawn to this book because of the title and the illustration on the cover. This book covers the relationship between older sister and baby brother, and it is realist ...more
Vanessa
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-x
Tiny Little Brother by Leva Khal is a sweet little book about a young girl who is sixteen and how she copes with her new baby brother. It's cleverly written and takes you through the stages of his life and how she deals with it and comes to love her new brother. This book touches on separation, depression, sibling rivalry, jealousy, and how she deals with it. I love the illustrations throughout, they may be simple but, a lot of thought and love has been put into these to go with the story.
This
Clare Bird
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
Tiny Little Brother by Leva Khal
Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for my honest review!

I give this book four out of five birds. I was first drawn to the book because of the cover. I’m a sucker for a good cover. I don’t often read poetry, but I did enjoy the flow of this book. I think the reason this book resonated with me, especially right now, is because I just had my third baby and it’s a boy. I’ve loved watching his two older sisters adapt to him. This book describes some
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book through NetGalley and the author. I thought it was a children’s book until I read it. I’m not a big fan or poems but this flowed nicely and was easy to follow. It’s a touching story of an older sister being surprised by the birth or her little brother. Without giving spoilers, it touches on all aspects of both the older sister and little brother’s lives as they grow into adults. The struggles of the sister and how she thinks her little brother sees her and how he really sees ...more
Aleetha
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tiny Little Brother is a quick read book. This simple narrative poetry is beautiful. It is about big sister and her little brother. Although it is a poetic story, I could feel the bond between them and how it was developed and getting stronger.

Another thing I like from this book is its cute illustration
Meg
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written book full of poems about a little brother and an older sister.

This book nearly brought me to tears. It shows how the little brother is growing up through the sisters eyes and all the struggles she is going through at the same time.

It shows the bond between family and relationships and how we should always take a moment in our day to appreciate it.
Renée
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I did not expect this book to touch me as much as it did. I do not have siblings, but I could still relate to almost every sentence in this book.
I will not comment on the poetry itself since poetry is not something I read regularly.

I think this is a book that should be read multiple times and that one should take their time reading it. I relate so much with the main character and I believe she faces struggles and shows us a reality that we all recognize in our daily lives.

My only complaint is
Steve Martinson
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't give many books 5 stars. In fact on the Amazon review I just wrote, I only gave it 4. But after reading some of these comments, I have gotten a better understanding for the book than I had before. People brought up some very provocative comments, which make the story even stronger to me. A very good read, but take the time to really think about what you're reading.

I received a free copy of this book and am leaving a truly voluntary review.
Tiffany
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This sweet story follows a big sister and a little brother through the different stages of their life. It was a quick and enjoyable read.
Humnah Memon
Update: now I’m sobbing and I don’t know why! 😭
Cindy
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Not what I expected

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sad, depressing, and real. Wasn't what I expected and I'm not all that interested in poetry.
Nina
You see in my eyes,
You'll always be a child.

I kind of liked this book, but I also kind of did not like this book...? I'm so confused. Let me explain~

The illustrations are adorably simplistic. Those, I really liked. I also liked how it threw in bits of the darker realities of life in relation to the birth of a child and the inevitable struggles of growing up and growing apart..

This book, however, lacked focus, especially in the first two chapters - the crucial ones. The ones that make finick
야일
Tiny Little Brother can be read by older siblings to their little siblings and also the parents obviously. But siblings will have fun with this. It’s a cute tiny picture book to add in your collection.

The art makes it more fun whereas the little poems can invigorate the bubbly feeling and sometimes the sad ones as well. The little ones can have help in learning to read as well and take away the message that the love between siblings is forever whatever the circumstance.

Special thanks to Netgal
Pao Vilchis
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
When I first saw this on NetGalley I was drawn to it because of the cover. I initially thought, like many others, that this was a children´s book but once you read it you find out it is so much more and everyone can read and appreciate it.

This book although it is short, it is very powerful. It is a strong and relatable depiction of what it is like to have a brother or a sister. It specially hit hard for me because I love my brother so I was able to relate to a lot of things especially regarding
Lucy
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Odd little book, I thought the first half was quite good, nice story for young teenagers about a new addition to the family, it then turned a bit dark but I don't know why, this would make it for older teens. The pictures are great, fun and definitely tell the story.

• The Second Chance Supper Club
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • Mooncakes
  • The Light in the Hallway
  • Comeback: A K-pop Novel
  • Mending the Mind (Pillow Thoughts, #3)
  • A Dream
  • I Am a Thief!
  • What Rose Forgot
  • Corazonadas
Leva Khal grew up in a limbo between the contrasting worlds of the Middle East and the West. She found herself lost, with an identity crisis, wandering in search of a sanctuary, where she could discover her true self. She would eventually build her own in the art of poetry and storytelling, on her journey to find herself and make sense of her world.

News & Interviews