Start by marking “Filter This” as Want to Read:
Filter This

Filter This

Ali Jones is hell-bent on achieving her #lifegoals: 10,000 Instagram followers and a win at the upcoming Glossie Influencer Awards. So when she inadvertently leads people to believe she is sporting a baby bump and immediately gains thousands of followers, she realises that the Mummy Influencer wave could be her ticket to Insta-success, even if off-screen it feels like her ...more
Published September 5th 2019 by Hachette Books Ireland

To ask other readers questions about Filter This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Filter This

Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
Are the #instafabulous really #livingtheirbestlives ?

Filter This is most definitely THE READ for the Insta Gen and for all fans of the ‘Aisling’ books. Written by Sophie White, Filter This will be published on September 5th with Hachette Ireland and is being hailed as the debut that will be most talked-about this Autumn.

Described as ‘a sharp, funny and heartfelt novel set in the Instagram world of #selfies and #OOTDs where appearances ARE EVERYTHING, but nothing is as it seems’, Filter This i
booksofallkinds
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*I voluntarily reviewed this book from the Publisher.

The book of a generation, FILTER THIS by Sophie White opens up the world of the Instagram influencer through the story of two women who are in the spotlight where their worlds are tinged with that perfect rosy glow. But is it real?

Shelly Devine is the top mama of Instagram and influencer culture in Ireland with her beautiful home, gorgeous husband, and adorable little girl. She has her own range of lifestyle products and is in demand from ever
Breige
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irish, e-books
Ali Jones is stuck in a job with a boss she hates, her father is ill, her relationship with her mother is strained and the most meaningful relationship she has is with a bottle of wine. She joins Instagram as a way to escape life and channel her creativity and soon becomes hooked, obsessing over the number of followers and likes she gets on her posts. She looks on in envy at some of the big names in the Irish scene, wishing that could be her.

Shelly Devine is THE biggest influencer in Ireland. Be
Amelia
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm having a really hard time putting together my thoughts for this book. Overall, I found myself enjoying it but the premise behind it is painfully wrong. The main character is an up and coming Instagram influencer and accidentally gets her followers thinking that she's pregnant... Does she fess up and tell them the truth? Nope! She decides to run with it and fake a pregnancy in order to increase her following and make money.

This plot line is not uncommon right now, there are plenty of books o
Elle
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book! So I'm not into Instagram at all, and generally can't stand the 'influencer' culture, however it's always been somewhat intriguing; how people put their lives on show for the world to see, how people put on a mask of happiness in front of their followers. And what happens when it all goes horribly, publicly wrong?

This novel explores the highs and lows of Instagram and those that fall victim to the hype of the 'perfect' lifestyle. And Sophie White is such a great writer
Paula Dennan
Ali Jones’ life isn’t exactly going to plan; her father is ill and her relationship with her mother can best be described as distant. Instagram provides a much needed creative outlet and a way to regain some control. She wants to be Ireland’s next big influencer, so when a misunderstanding leads her followers to think she is pregnant, she decides to play along. ‘Mummy Influencers’ are a big deal right now.

Shelly Devine has it all; the perfect husband, an adorable daughter, a lust worthy house, a
Shonagh O'Cpnnor
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel is a social commentary on the instagram/influencer culture currently in Ireland, while also a vey human storyline and a comedic storyline. The book centres around Ali an aspiring playwright and wannabe blogger who becomes increasingly obsessed with folllowers, likes, sponsored content and shooting perfect outfit and food photos. All the while her professional life is stagnating, and her father is dying of early onset alzheimers in a nursing home. Ali cooks up a plan to gain more follo ...more
Marion
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Be warned : the story does not end with the book. There will be a sequel and they’d better be because I liked the story so much I shrieked like a banshee when it ended (because it didn’t really) and was almost evicted from my hotel room.

It’s lovely and gritty, in the vein of Marian Keyes and Mhairi Mcfarlane. An hilariously sad take on the Insta-game (The ego hunger games) and how far you’re ready to go to curate your life (too far).

There is everything I love in MK and MMF but with Sophie White
Carmel Breffit
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my first read by this author and I struggled to get into this book with it being so upto date and modern on current trends and focuses around the Instagram platform.

I myself do use but am very basic knowledge and found it very in depth hence the story tend to loose my wavelength at times even though the twists and turns the author through in seemed to be able to draw my attention back.

I will be interested to see if the follow up story takes the same pace as this also or how it looks to
Patrice Gotting
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book really highlights how much of a big thing Instagram and social media in general has become a big part of daily life for people, it was all about the “influencers” and as much as the story was fictional it happens every day.

It really made me think about all the people I follow and how much of their stories are genuine.

The book follows Ali, who is desperate to become a big name in the influencer community on Instagram, she’s not doing too badly, she has almost 3000 followers, but all h
Vikkie Wakeham
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley, the author and publisher for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. I have really enjoyed reading this book, I was attracted to the book by the description. I feel that any users of instagram would easily be able to relate to this book. Ali Jones comes up with a lie in order to gain instagram followers, I did not find this book at all predictable and I didn’t want to put it down.
This is my first read by this author, if definitely will not be my last.
Orlaith
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I bought this following rave reviews on Instagram.............The irony is not lost on me!!
It is quite basic with one dimensional characters, preposterous setups and it's just not very interesting. I am not a huge chick lit fan so maybe I'm just the wrong demographic for this, but I was really disappointed. I expected more and maybe to be hooked into it, I found myself skimming huge chunks and not really that engaged with the characters.
Claire Cassidy
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Netgalley ARC.

A strong read, some really fantastic characters who are well written and developed throughout the plot.

Not my usual sub genre, but this was very enjoyable. Some of the intricacies of instagram bypassed me, which sometimes led to me skipping some paragraphs. I had predicted the end early on, however this was still an enjoyable read and I will look out for the follow up story.

Recommended for a light, easy read which is absolutely contemporary.
Priya
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Instagram age has been here for a while and promises to stay!
And this is a book for those who are part of and promote this culture.
Shelly, the influencer with a lot of followers who think she leads an absolutely perfect life and Ali who joins this culture to escape her real life and gets drawn in too far.
This is the story of these two people and their journey in the social media world, while struggling to balance and live in the real world.
An enjoyable read.
Sinead
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley for an ARC of this. I enjoyed the read overall. Anyone who uses Instagram will be able to relate to a lot of the content in this book and how for some people, Instagram is a livelihood. I preferred the storyline of Shelly over Ali. Shelly’s seemed to be more realistic as at times I found it hard to relate to Ali. Overall though, the book kept me engaged and I will certainly read the follow up book.
Abi Whitehouse
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
#insta2019

Really enjoyed this book, although at times it felt like Love Island combined with Dallas. There were plenty of hilarious laugh out loud moments, along with several really ouch ones!

The characters were completely unlikable at time, but very believable!

Would recommend to anyone that has ever wondered what it would be like to be an Instagram star! (Or not!)
Christina
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As someone who has an interest in Instagram and the weird micro-ecosystem that seems to exist on it, this book was an excellent read. Even if you're not really familiar with Instagram the writing is great - this book was able to take me from laughing to tears. Highly recommend!!
Beccy Thompson
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from TBC Reviewers request- Thank you
I would consider myself a lite user of Instagram but this book had me absolutely howling with laughter, the premise was so out there that you can totally see it happen!
A brilliant read
Amelia Louise
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although this is not my usual genre, I was pulled into it from the description, and it proved to be a fantastic read. Lots of twists and turns, and a great social commentary on the lengths some people will go to for followers on Instagram. Looking forward to book two!
Amanda Williams
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very modern book and the writing was ahead of its time. Even though myself I am not a fan of Instagram and don't really get it this book was still enjoyable. There were many twists and turns and even though this is my first read by this author if definitely will not be my last.
Penny-sue Wolfe
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I love Instagram and this book is bang up to date in its storyline. Fast paced and hard to put down. Great read!
Debs
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A great book written well - had me in stitches in places and so true to life for the instagrammers of this modern age!
Linda Phillips
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! I typically read psychological thrillers but every now and again I need a break from murder mysteries and this was a nice and light book.
If you are an Instagram user, you will relate to this book, especially with the influencer culture we now have. It's a case of be careful what you wish for!
I liked the humour in it, and look forward to book two.
Lorraine Downey