Start by marking “Filter This” as Want to Read:
Filter This

Filter This

Ali Jones is hell-bent on achieving her #lifegoals: 10,000 Instagram followers and a win at the upcoming Glossie Influencer Awards. So when she inadvertently leads people to believe she is sporting a baby bump and immediately gains thousands of followers, she realises that the Mummy Influencer wave could be her ticket to Insta-success, even if off-screen it feels like her ...more
Published September 5th 2019 by Hachette Books Ireland

To ask other readers questions about Filter This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Filter This

Start your review of Filter This
Nat K

" 'What are we watching?' Ali pulled up a chair to join her friend.
'The disintegration of society,' Liz muttered. 'AKA Instagram.' "

" 'They all talk like that.' Liz grinned. 'Everything is 'amazing' on there. Or 'empowering'..."

"influencer"

Someone that affects or changes the way other people behave...influences the opinion of others...who encourages people to buy specific products.
- (mangled from) the Cambridge Dictionary

There are much funnier explanations to be found on the Urban Dictionary.
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
Are the #instafabulous really #livingtheirbestlives ?

Filter This is most definitely THE READ for the Insta Gen and for all fans of the ‘Aisling’ books. Written by Sophie White, Filter This will be published on September 5th with Hachette Ireland and is being hailed as the debut that will be most talked-about this Autumn.

Described as ‘a sharp, funny and heartfelt novel set in the Instagram world of #selfies and #OOTDs where appearances ARE EVERYTHING, but nothing is as it seems’, Filter This
Rachel Gilbey
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I do love a book that features social media influencers and the assorted tricks they use to make their lives looks perfect.

And Shelley and Ali are just two such influencers, both who seem to live on Instagram a lot more than in real life and thus have lost all track of reality.

Especially Ali who capitalises on some misunderstandings that suddenly give her a big boost in followers. I was amused to see just how this comedy of errors for her would pan out,

While at the same time she is also regula
Éabha Wall
Sep 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Tell me why this book was frivolous, yet poignant, utterly batshit, cringe-worthy and yet, heartwarming all at once? 3.5 stars. Another winner for fictional audiobooks. Jacqueline Milne is an A* narrator, her accents and impersonations made this really funny to listen to. This book is pure escapism, which is kind of White's take on social media as a whole. Some of the lengths that the #influencers in this tale go to are somehow unbelievable, yet don't feel entirely out of reach in the same breat ...more
Carter Skye
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm having a really hard time putting together my thoughts for this book. Overall, I found myself enjoying it but the premise behind it is painfully wrong. The main character is an up and coming Instagram influencer and accidentally gets her followers thinking that she's pregnant... Does she fess up and tell them the truth? Nope! She decides to run with it and fake a pregnancy in order to increase her following and make money.

This plot line is not uncommon right now, there are plenty of books o
Arlene
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A real page-turner

I devoured this story! Stayed up late into the night reading to finish it. Loved the glimpse into the lives of the Insta-famous, and I can’t wait to see the next installment!
Avid  Reader
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FFS LOL

I had to Google what a lot of the Instagram shorthand meant but I still enjoyed the book. Touching and funny and probably closer to reality than we can imagine.
Breige
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, irish
Ali Jones is stuck in a job with a boss she hates, her father is ill, her relationship with her mother is strained and the most meaningful relationship she has is with a bottle of wine. She joins Instagram as a way to escape life and channel her creativity and soon becomes hooked, obsessing over the number of followers and likes she gets on her posts. She looks on in envy at some of the big names in the Irish scene, wishing that could be her.

Shelly Devine is THE biggest influencer in Ireland. Be
Cassandra MADEUP BookBlog
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well this is certainly a very cleverly done story! It takes into consideration the current social climate, the importance and emphasis which is given to social media and peoples “Follow count” currently.

The story was a wonderful change of pace, and considered a variety of deeper and more difficult topics involved with life in general, including that of family members with Cancer and how this can effect those around them, the various emotions that go hand in hand with it, and the stress of dealin
Orlaith
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I bought this following rave reviews on Instagram.............The irony is not lost on me!!
It is quite basic with one dimensional characters, preposterous setups and it's just not very interesting. I am not a huge chick lit fan so maybe I'm just the wrong demographic for this, but I was really disappointed. I expected more and maybe to be hooked into it, I found myself skimming huge chunks and not really that engaged with the characters.
Abi Whitehouse
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
#insta2019

Really enjoyed this book, although at times it felt like Love Island combined with Dallas. There were plenty of hilarious laugh out loud moments, along with several really ouch ones!

The characters were completely unlikable at time, but very believable!

Would recommend to anyone that has ever wondered what it would be like to be an Instagram star! (Or not!)
Beccy Thompson
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from TBC Reviewers request- Thank you
I would consider myself a lite user of Instagram but this book had me absolutely howling with laughter, the premise was so out there that you can totally see it happen!
A brilliant read
Lucy Aughney
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
This is really well written and interesting but the insta set is so fleeting and silly that I worry it will date fast. Great, real characters and judicious plotting keep things from being too pantomime, will definitely read the follow up.
Amye Quigley
Needed a light read this weekend. I liked the characters, the pace was great, it was well written. It wasn't as light as I thought it would be. A look at the crazy world of Instagram influencers, with mental health and grief being dealt with really well I thought. There was a lovely depth to the characters I hadn't expected and I was invested.
Val Robus
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this. An easy read looking at the lives of Instagram influencers and how far they will go to get likes.
Kelsey Cooper
Overall this book is like a 2.5-3 star read.

What I like about this book was that it really reflected on how much social media has almost overtaken our life. Influencer is an actual job title now. Its crazy to think about really. This book focuses on how these woman make instagram their actual job. I was stressed out thinking of all the work they put in: scheduling posts for a specific time, hashtags, having a certain post for this brand, and mostly just putting up such a fake persona. I was str
Dragana Ružić
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you’re a fan of drama you’ll love this. Funny and witty, paying close attention to how social media influences us and our choices. I love the two main characters and their stories.
Brooke
Both Ali and Shelly use Instagram as an escape. Ali, as something to distract herself from her father's imminent death, and Shelly, as way to ignore the fact that her perfect life and marriage is falling apart all around her. While Ali is trying to break in to the Instagram influencer scene, Shelly is the most prominent lifestyle blogger in Ireland. Hundreds of thousands of followers are watching her every move as she puts her life on display to the world to the detriment of her family. Her marr ...more
Ellie
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book! So I'm not into Instagram at all, and generally can't stand the 'influencer' culture, however it's always been somewhat intriguing; how people put their lives on show for the world to see, how people put on a mask of happiness in front of their followers. And what happens when it all goes horribly, publicly wrong?

This novel explores the highs and lows of Instagram and those that fall victim to the hype of the 'perfect' lifestyle. And Sophie White is such a great writer
Patrice Gotting
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book really highlights how much of a big thing Instagram and social media in general has become a big part of daily life for people, it was all about the “influencers” and as much as the story was fictional it happens every day.

It really made me think about all the people I follow and how much of their stories are genuine.

The book follows Ali, who is desperate to become a big name in the influencer community on Instagram, she’s not doing too badly, she has almost 3000 followers, but all h
Shonagh O'Cpnnor
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel is a social commentary on the instagram/influencer culture currently in Ireland, while also a vey human storyline and a comedic storyline. The book centres around Ali an aspiring playwright and wannabe blogger who becomes increasingly obsessed with folllowers, likes, sponsored content and shooting perfect outfit and food photos. All the while her professional life is stagnating, and her father is dying of early onset alzheimers in a nursing home. Ali cooks up a plan to gain more follo ...more
Marion
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Be warned : the story does not end with the book. There will be a sequel and they’d better be because I liked the story so much I shrieked like a banshee when it ended (because it didn’t really) and was almost evicted from my hotel room.

It’s lovely and gritty, in the vein of Marian Keyes and Mhairi Mcfarlane. An hilariously sad take on the Insta-game (The ego hunger games) and how far you’re ready to go to curate your life (too far).

There is everything I love in MK and MMF but with Sophie White
Carmel's Addictive Nighttime Reads
This is my first read by this author and I struggled to get into this book with it being so upto date and modern on current trends and focuses around the Instagram platform.

I myself do use but am very basic knowledge and found it very in depth hence the story tend to loose my wavelength at times even though the twists and turns the author through in seemed to be able to draw my attention back.

I will be interested to see if the follow up story takes the same pace as this also or how it looks to
Sinead
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley for an ARC of this. I enjoyed the read overall. Anyone who uses Instagram will be able to relate to a lot of the content in this book and how for some people, Instagram is a livelihood. I preferred the storyline of Shelly over Ali. Shelly’s seemed to be more realistic as at times I found it hard to relate to Ali. Overall though, the book kept me engaged and I will certainly read the follow up book.
Vikkie
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley, the author and publisher for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. I have really enjoyed reading this book, I was attracted to the book by the description. I feel that any users of instagram would easily be able to relate to this book. Ali Jones comes up with a lie in order to gain instagram followers, I did not find this book at all predictable and I didn’t want to put it down.
This is my first read by this author, if definitely will not be my last.
Priya
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Instagram age has been here for a while and promises to stay!
And this is a book for those who are part of and promote this culture.
Shelly, the influencer with a lot of followers who think she leads an absolutely perfect life and Ali who joins this culture to escape her real life and gets drawn in too far.
This is the story of these two people and their journey in the social media world, while struggling to balance and live in the real world.
An enjoyable read.
booksofallkinds
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*I voluntarily reviewed this book from the Publisher.

The book of a generation, FILTER THIS by Sophie White opens up the world of the Instagram influencer through the story of two women who are in the spotlight where their worlds are tinged with that perfect rosy glow. But is it real?

Shelly Devine is the top mama of Instagram and influencer culture in Ireland with her beautiful home, gorgeous husband, and adorable little girl. She has her own range of lifestyle products and is in demand from ever
Ellana-san
Mar 04, 2020 rated it did not like it
What the hell was even this book? The only thing relatable was Ali's feelings in regard to her dad's situation. None of the characters are likable - with the exception of Sam maybe but he's so underdevelopped that it doesn't really matter because there isn't ONE other character that you can root for. Everyone is either stupid, crazy or super judgy.

The book itself is supra judgy, clearly the moral is Instagram is the devil (and don't get me wrong, I'm not a die-hard insta-fam, I don't follow ton
Michaela
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The idea was so current and I really felt like the author dove deep into the Irish instagram scene.

The storyline was fresh and new. I really liked that neither of the main characters were very likeable. They felt more real to me that way.

Both the main characters, Ali and Shelly are flawed and imperfect but what they are dealing with is so real. Relationships, careers, everything that I feel many women in Ireland and everywhere are going through.

Social media is stil
Stephanie
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I haven't totally decided how I feel about this book. I'm disappointed I didn't realize it was going to be a series, I feel it could have been just one book. The characters were over the top, but that was by design and went well with the overall theme. I think it's also really relatable even to people who aren't influencers, who want to put their best life forward on social media and how that often impacts people around us. The stalker angle felt added in to continue the storyline for another bo ...more
« previous 1 3 next »