Start by marking “Plays: Maria Irene Fornes” as Want to Read:
Plays: Maria Irene Fornes

Plays: Maria Irene Fornes

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  161 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The celebrated playwright, director, translator, lyricist, and seven-time Obie Award winner, has been an influential voice in American theatre for more than four decades and a highly-regarded teacher of playwriting. Includes: Mud, The Danube, Sarita, and The Conduct of Life.
Published July 1st 2001 by PAJ Publications (first published July 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plays

Drew
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama
Sometimes when you haven't read someone in awhile you forget just how good they are. Such is the case with Maria Irene Fornes, whose four plays here delighted the hell out of me. "Mud" uses simple language to disclose not-so-simple truths about a love triangle situated in poverty; "The Danube" reinvents Ionesco's "Bald Soprano" as a deranged romance in Hungary; "The Conduct of Life" personalizes totalitarianism; and "Sarita" is a quirky musical filled with distorted courtships. All these plays a ...more
Tamara
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Frustratingly idiosyncratic. Beautiful but often feel half finished. Sometimes hard to understand and fixated on sickness. Set in stone in a way that makes me shy away from them. Strange ideas about elsewhere. So attracted to her language and fervor but not her narrative structure. Can feel like interludes in another larger play. Very odd that this is referred to as realism? These plays are super strange!
Gregory
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: plays
This play really doesn't appeal to me. It didn't appeal to me when I read it in undergrad, and it didn't appeal to me when I read it again as a grad student. So, as it turns out, going to a flea market and purchasing various knicknacks is NOT in fact a way to go about writing a play that I will actually enjoy. Sorry, Kate. Sorry, Scott. Sorry, Maria. Try again.
Maybe I would like Fefu and Her Friends?
Vanessa
Mar 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Maria Irene Fornes plays with language and form, creating contemporary plays that talk about things like nuclear war, class strife and the struggle for power between the sexes, but are never preachy or heavy handed. Her first language is Spanish, but she writes in English, creating stark, haunting dialogue. Each play is a little bit funny and a little bit scary. Mud is my favorite.
Gurldoggie
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Egad. What an intense collection of insightful and violent plays. A riveting and stomach churning look at a raging battle of the sexes, with language both unexpectedly alien and too familiar. Like Samuel Beckett writing for "Ms." Magazine. This book will give you a jolt.
Chris
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed these plays as a whole, in much the same way that I enjoy the works of other modernist playwrites. Their griity, surreal, and complex structures cause me to think a lot about their themes- here: interpersonal violence, the roles of women, and personal failures.
Lissie
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plays
Plays in volume (& my review):

Mud: too much swearing & other vulgarity for my taste

The Danube:

The Conduct of Life: ***** Heart-rending. Horrific. Ironically the happiest (& most sane) individual is Olimpia, the maid with a speech defect. (minimum MPAA "PG-13" for sexual violence)

Sarita:
Kristyna Iris Petiskova
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
It proved to me again that greatness often lies in simplicity.
J.A. McNeil
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Appreciate Flores style, but hers is not my preference of dramatic writing. Much like Beckett's where nothing happens but vague dialogue and unsubstantiated actions.
James
Jul 06, 2007 rated it liked it
holy avant stage construction.
Christine
Jul 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"Man must have an ideal"
Fruit
May 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of David Mamet, Chekov, accessible plays
Recommended to Fruit by: A college professor
Love this collection~ The Danube is my favorite. Powerful, moving material as always from Fornes.
Irma Mayorga
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Revelatory. Reread for reference.
Hannah Guha
Aug 23, 2013
Ariel
Jun 29, 2017
Mary H
rated it did not like it
Jan 25, 2012
Jess
Mar 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Venus - Acting Edition
  • Heroes and Saints and Other Plays: Giving Up the Ghost, Shadow of a Man, Heroes and Saints
  • The Designated Mourner
  • Baal
  • The Balcony
  • The Distance from Here: A Play
  • Mountain Language
  • Dead Man's Cell Phone (TCG Edition)
  • Sylvia