Start by marking “The House on the Lake” as Want to Read:
The House on the Lake

The House on the Lake

No matter how far you run . . .
He's never far behind

Lisa needs to disappear. And her friend's rambling old home in the wilds of Yorkshire seems like the perfect place. It's miles away from the closest town, and no one there knows her or her little boy, Joe.

But when a woman from the local village comes to visit them, Lisa realises that she and Joe aren't as safe as she

Expected publication: February 20th 2020 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The House on the Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House on the Lake

Start your review of The House on the Lake
Amanda
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Review

Lisa has left her controlling husband Mark,taking their 3 year old son Joe to stay in a friends empty house, Rowan Isle House a dilapidated lake house and not really fit to live in, having no running water. Unfortunately Lisa has no other options.

The story goes back to 2002 when Grace and her father live in Rowan Isle House. He is teaching her to be a soldier and giving her secret missions to fulfil. They keep themselves to themselves not trusting the locals.

This is such a gripping book,
Ceecee
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. From first word to last this fast paced, gripping story had me in its thrall. This has all the essential ingredients for an outstanding suspense novel - tension, intrigue, guilt, deception, shocks, danger and so well written. This is the story of Lisa whose controlling husband Mark has undermined her and demeaned her to the point where she takes drastic action. His poison has also deeply affected their three year old son Joe whose treatment of Lisa at times mirrors what he’s seen his father ...more
Pauline
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The House on the Lake by Nuala Ellwood is a thriller set in two timelines.
2018 Lisa has left home with her three year old son Joe and is hiding from her husband Mark. She has been given the address of a safe house which turns out to be very run down and in a remote location.
2003 an eleven year old girl lives in the house with her father who she calls Sarge.
He is an ex soldier and is bringing her up to be self sufficient and away from other people.
I enjoyed this story and read the book in one
Liz Barnsley
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Nuala Ellwood’s novels are always highly addictive because they manage not only to be dark and twisted but also hugely emotional and often thought provoking.

The House On The Lake follows that trend as we meet Lisa, on the run from a controlling relationship with son Joe in tow, who moves into a dilapidated lake house where amenities are few. Interspersed with the diary of a girl growing up there, past and present are about to collide…

This was a clever and involving story that will often have you
Emma Curtis
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many thanks to Penguin for my advance copy. I enjoyed this book so much. Nuala Ellwood is an author who understands exactly what her readers love and writes brilliantly into the bargain.
Rowan Isle House is a rundown and isolated country home. Im 2018 Lisa finds sanctuary there with her young son Joe, from an abusive and controlling husband, and in 2000 Grace is living there as a child, off-grid with her PTSD plagued, survivalist father, Sarge. Both women are scared of the men in their lives,
Thebooktrail
Melancolic and deeply troubling. This is a stark and raw read. Two women abused by the men in their lives in vearious different ways. There's a runaway mother whose husband has abused her and so put their son's life at risk. She flees to a cottage in the middle of nowhere for ...what she doesn't know but she hopes it's safety of some sort.

The house where she flees to is called Rowan House and it's in the middle of the Yorkshire Dales, A house meant for sanctuary and salvation but also one which
 Charlie  ✰ WLTB Blog ✰
Oh wow,

It has been a long time since a book has gripped me as much as this one did right from page one it pulled me in and didn't let go till the very end. I read in one sitting I just couldn't put this book down.
The house on the Lake starts of when we meet Lisa a women on the run with her son Joe from her controlling Husband. as the story unfolds it is full of twists and turns I never seen coming. I kept questioning myself, thinking I had an idea of where this story was going and I was so
Charlotte Burt
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast-paced thriller which centres around the lives of three, very different women and a creepy house by a Yorkshire lakeside.
I totally enjoyed this book, I think it's been the best thriller I have read in 2019. If you like your thrillers dark and twisty without too much gore or horror, then this will keep you captivated for a while.
Vikki Patis
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't what I expected. Two stories weaved into one, it is brilliant and engaging, hooking the reader from the first page.
Shirley
This is a tale of two abused women, Lisa and Grace, told over two different time periods and of a third woman, Isobel, who links the two.

It is essentially a psychological thriller which looks at the whole question of identity, guilt, PTSD and abusive control. It is a difficult read in many ways, as there are many grim situations and unsympathetic characters. Lisa, a young mother who is separated from her abusive husband, kidnaps her young son and takes him to an old house in the Yorkshire Dales.
Gemma
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is the second novel I’ve read by this author; the first beingMy Sister’s Bonesa good few years ago now which I recall greatly enjoying.The House on the Lakeis another well written, rather dark and raw mystery by Nuala Ellwood, set in two different time periods and about the power and control held over two broken women…

In the present day is Lisa’s story as she arrives at Rowan Isle House in the remote Yorkshire village of Harrowby with her unhappy and challenging three year old son, Joe. Not
Ally
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley for my copy of the ebook, in exchange for my honest review.

No matter how far you run …. He’s never far behind.

Lisa needs to disappear. And her friends rambling old home in the wilds of Yorkshire seems the perfect place. It’s miles away from the closest town and no one there knows her or her little boy Joe.

But when a woman from the local village comes to visit them, Lisa realises that she and Joe aren’t as safe as she thought.

Why secret has Rowan Isles House – and her
Roxie Key
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley for the advance copy of The House on the Lake by Nuala Ellwood, coming March 2020.

The book follows the story of Lisa, who is on the run from London to Yorkshire with her little boy Joe, and ends up staying in quite possibly the creepiest house in the history of the world. We also follow the story of Grace, a thirteen-year-old who grew up in that very same house several years before with her father. She was completely cut off from the rest of the world and tells us her
Book-Lover Book Blog
Although this book at great foundation and a pretty good revealing ending, I just felt there was something astronomical missing from the story... whatever was missing, made it a little boring in a lot of places.

It took me a bit to get into the story, and at first, I didn’t think I was going to finish reading it. I’m glad I did though, the ending was worth reading in the end.

The characters were a mismatch of different people. Lisa, abused with and desperate mother, I found she controlled
Debra
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book with two main threads. There is Lisa & her son Joe who come to stay at a deserted house in Yorkshire. Lisa is looking for some time alone with her son & hopes that no one in the small nearby village recognises her. The other main thread runs twenty years or so in the past. Who is Grace writing the journal of her unusual lifestyle with her Father and what relevance does that have to Lisa?

This is a book that had it’s moments – both good and bad. I wasn’t quite reconciled
Portia
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-read
Unputdownable is the word for the book. This is my second by the author and I devoured every single page of the book. The mystery is gripping from the start. The book has pace where you forget the concept of space and time. It has elements of mystery and suspense. Alongside it also touches the intense human emotions. As a reader, you will realize the author has done her share of research while touching the topics of PTSD and abuse. Nuala Ellwood has an innate sense of storytelling. She ...more
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Whilst it’s clear that ‘The House on the Lake’ by Nuala Ellwood has plenty of fans, I’m afraid that I could barely finish it. The novel deals with important themes: the role of fathers (a strong pointer given in the epigraph), PTSD, grooming and manipulation to name a few. However, the narratives exploring them and the connections between them, other than thematic, just do not come across as very convincing.
Whilst Rowan Isle House is a gothic-inspired character in its own right, so grim is it,
Joanne Liddement
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Rowan Isle House, situated on the isolated Yorkshire Moors, is the central backdrop to this brooding thriller of control and abuse directed at two unconnected women, Lisa and Grace. Set around 16 years apart, The House on the Lake charts the struggles of both these women, and how they regain freedom from the two men who control them. Grace is thirteen and controlled by her father Sarge, an SAS soldier suffering from mental illness, who treats his daughter as a fellow soldier. Lisa who is married ...more
Matthew Duffy
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read "The Day of the Accident" by this author, I was expecting another book with a plot full of mystery that unraveled slowly, unpredictably but logically, and I wasn't disappointed. Nuala Ellwood has shown that she can take characters who are dealing with some real issues and make the situation they are in seem fantastical and far fetched, but by the end of the book their actions make perfect sense as they are all shaped by their experiences which are very real and very believable.

In
Joanna Beesley
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I have read by this author and this one is as good as the first. It is an intriguing storyline, initially split into two between Soldier who is a young girl being trained by her father just back from war and Lisa who is running away from her husband and an abusive relationship.

The House on the Lake, together with its history, is the common denominator. As the story progresses the reader is introduced to Isobel, the daughter of the local vicar where there appears to be a
Joanne Cartwright
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Lisa disappears to her friends derelict house, miles from home and in secret with only her 3 year old in tow it seems that she has not found safety at all.
Told alongside Lisa's tale is Grace, resident in the house when it was slightly less awful, with her strange father and a very odd upbringing.
Isobel brings them together- friend of the child Grace and later kindly neighbour to Lisa and Joe.

The descriptions of the house in particular are very atmospheric in both time lines and the
Barbara
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that grabs your attention from the beginning to the end. Lisa is on the run from her husband and takes her young son with her. A friend has offered her a safe place to stay which is an abandoned house by a lake. The house has no electricity or running water and is filthy. However Lisa is befriended by a local lady Isobel who helps to make the place more habitable. Alternating with Lisa's story we hear about Grace a thirteen year old girl living in the same house twenty years ...more
Nella
Rating: 3.5 stars

This book definitely kept me on my toes. Its one of those books that really transforms to another world, in this case a world of a girl growing up isolated from the rest of the village. The other side of the story took you through a mothers struggle of trying to survive in this creepy house on the lake with her child all the while looking over her shoulder; scared that her husband was going to come and rip her world away from her.

I did like the story, and the writing. I liked
Chrissie
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The House on the Lake is a brilliant creepy gripping book .Fast paced and told across two timelines the story is about Lisa who has fled from London with her son Joe to escape her controlling husband Mark ,she is given the address of a safe house in Yorkshire called Rowan House .Back in 2002 Grace is a child and lives with her ex SAS soldier Dad who she calls Sarge in this house off the grid ,he is suffering from PTS and trains her to be a soldier.Both Grace and Lisa are terrified of the men in ...more
Tara O'sullivan
It’s hard to know what to expect from this book from the opening chapters. It follows two separate narratives – that of Lisa, a young mother on the run from her abusive father, and Grace, a teenage girl writing her journal decades before, detailing her life as a ‘soldier’ under her father’s strict rule. Their stories are linked by the house on the lake, and Isobel, who befriends each of them. Despite the years separating the two narratives, as the book progresses they become inextricably tied, ...more
Alison Richardson
Lisa is on the run, she needs somewhere to hide and stay safe with her son Joe. When a friend offers her the loan of a house in a remote part of Yorkshire she jumps at the opportunity. Little does she realise how ramshackle the house will be nor that it will put her in more danger. She meets Isabel who helps her settle in but things are not all they seem and the past history of the house threatens to catch up with Lisa.
There is a back story running through this of earlier occupants of the house
Donna Irwin
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a well written psychological drama, interweaving the stories of two broken people with the third main "character", the old and delapidated Rowan Isle House. The sense of breakdown and decay spread out from the house to the lives of Grace and Lisa and was irrevocably intertwined with their stories.

I found it quite difficult to "like" either of the main human characters and their relationships but maybe this is part of what was essentially a very sad story about two very broken people and
Danielle Dent
I’ve seen a lot of positive reviews for this book so can only assume it’s me that’s the issue because I just didn’t really enjoy it. I hate giving negative reviews so I couldn’t give any lower than a 3* as I really enjoyed the Day of the Accident. But I just found this really slow going and neither of the storylines really gripped me. I definitely felt more could have been done with the present day storyline with the abuse Lisa had suffered and would have found the escalation of that within her ...more
Victoria Baldin
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The House on the Lake by Nuala Ellwood

I Loved this book. From the very first chapter I knew I was going to enjoy reading it and it did not disappoint. I could not put the book down as the story kept me on the edge of my seat.

The story is fast paced and exciting. The drama and suspense are excellent.

I have read all Nuala Ellwood’s other books and I think they are all fantastic.

All of Nuala’s book are addictive and I can’t sleep, eat or work until I have finished her book.

I would like to thank
Lizzie
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ive been looking forward to reading this one, I've been a fan of Nuala from the beginning and this book did not fail to capture everything I love about a Nuala Ellwood novel. This story is about how the lives of three women intersect, creating a vivid and emotional story about belonging and home. Whilst this book - for me - wasn't typically fast paced, it was a slow gradual build up, with a great ending. If you're an Ellwood fan I would recommend, and if you love an emotional yet psychological ...more

• All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • A Window Breaks
  • The Family
  • Single
  • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)
  • I Dare You
  • The Memory Wood
  • The Confession
  • Who Did You Tell?
  • The Temple House Vanishing
  • The Secret of Cold Hill (House on Cold Hill, #2)
  • She
Nuala Ellwood is the daughter of an award-winning journalist. She was inspired by his experiences and those of foreign correspondents such as Marie Colvin and Martha Gellhorn to secure Arts Council funding for her research into PTSD for her debut psychological thriller MY SISTER’S BONES.