Start by marking “Second Wind” as Want to Read:
Second Wind

Second Wind

No matter how old you are, there’s always a chance for romance.

After the death of her husband, 71-year-old homemaker Martha Appleby is taking her first long-distance trip alone. That loss has derailed many of her plans for her twilight years, and she hopes to come to peace with not knowing what will come next.
70-year-old service dog trainer Pamela Thornton is hoping to
Published July 23rd 2019 by Foxglove Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Second Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Wind

Start your review of Second Wind
Jude
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s not often characters in lesfic are older women so when I saw the author was offering ARCs for this story with women over 70, I couldn’t resist.

Martha and Pam were best friends most of their childhood and teenage years, up until Pam’s family moved. They haven’t seen each other until they meet by chance on a plane to Glasgow more than fifty years later. Martha is carrying her dead husband’s ashes, which she plans to disperse from the top of the Glasgow Tower. Pam is bringing a support puppy
Sandra
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very cute and beautiful second-chance love story with women in their seventies, which is unusual in lesfic, but also very nice to see. I haven’t read anything by this author before.

In an instant, the life of Pam and Martha changes. One day the universe or whoever has interfered with the life of Pam and Martha, when they meet unexpectedly on a flight to Scotland. Pam brings her service dog puppy to her new family and Martha brings her dead husband’s ashes to his birth town, Glasgow.
Elske
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Sweet but fast romance between two 70 year old women who were friends when they were kids but lost contact when one of them moved. After meeting on a plane to Glasgow they reconnect.
Ceillie Simkiss
Jun 09, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this, and I can't wait for you to read it!

Content Warnings:
The dog does not die and there is no actual death in this novella.
• Mention of spousal death,
• spreading of ashes,
• discussion of service dog duties and types of seizures,
• mentions of chronic pain and illness,
• mentions of ageism,
• mentions of pregnancy in family member.

There is also a nonbinary child who uses she/her pronouns. This was intentional on my part.

Thank you for reading!
Amy
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it

very very sweet :)
Rachel Morrison
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Guys, this novella is so cute! It has dogs, badass old ladies, tons of queer characters, and a recognition that love and loss can coexist in the same space. Highly recommend, it was such a great short read.
Ariadna
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
FTR, I picked this v. short novella (99 pgs total) for two reasons: I was in the mood to read something fast and the novelty of a romance in which the protags are over 50 years old was quite tempting. The author was new to me, but the premise was so charming that I decided to give it a try.

Among the positives I can say that the two protagonists were easy to root for. Also, the plot was easy to follow. Oh, and the author included content warnings. Although the overall story arc was rather mild, I
iam
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, sapphic, lgbtqia
Super cute second chance romance between two ladies in their 70s.

Content warnings include: mentions of death of a spouse, epilepsy, chronic pain.

Pam and Martha were best childhood friends, until Pam had to move away and they lost contact. Many years later, they meet again on a flight to Scottland, where Martha wants to spread her husband's ashes and Pam brings a service dog she trained to a customer - who turns out to be one of Martha's family.

It was very cute and low drama, and
Jess
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come!
Eli
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bisexual, lesbian, queer, wlw
Content Warnings: Mention of spousal death; spreading of ashes; discussion of service dog duties and types of services; mentions of chronic pain and illness; mentions of ageism; and mentions of pregnancy in a family member. These can be found in the beginning of the book.

A delightful, low angst read that I truly didn’t know I needed until I finished it. It was an adorable f/f novella featuring old ladies and I was smiling through the entire story. Except for that one scene where I had to hold
Cindy Stein
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, lesfic-romance
Martha and Pam were childhood best friends who were separated when Pam's family moved away without notice. Many years later, when both are 70, they meet again on an airplane headed to Glasgow, Scotland. It turns out that Martha is traveling to see her late husband's family and scatter his ashes a year after his death. And Pam, who trains service dogs, is delivering a dog to a young child. The child is Martha's great niece. So both are staying in the same home and have a chance to reconnect.

There
Arlene
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I bought this on a whim, because I couldn't just pass up on a wlw story with older protagonists. As cliched as it might sound, I needed the reminder that love can happen at any time. I found this to be a very lovely story, that didn't so much have me biting my nails wondering what would happen next, but rather it was just a gentle little novella to sweeten up your day.

I did wish the character 'sections' were a little longer, as I feel like I didn't fully get a chance to get to know these ladies
RNPride
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a very quick read that I didn't want to end. I'd love to see a sequel. It's a sweet second chance romance. The characters are well developed. It brought me through several emotions from laughing to tearing up. I very much enjoyed it. I hadn't read any of this author's work before but I'm going to look for more.

I received the book in exchange for an honest review.
Janice
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable story about an older couple

I loved reading about an older couple! There were a couple areas where it could have used some work. And I definitely would have liked to read more romance and more physicality, but it really was a great read all around.
Chasia Lloyd
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Utterly adorable f/f romance novella about childhood best friends finding each other again decades later. The epilogue made me tear up. Check the author's note at the beginning for content warnings.

(e-ARC provided by the author)
DR
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading a story about women within my age-group. Ceillie Simkiss' story about Martha and Pamela was well written and an enjoyable read. The story didn't drag and Martha & Pamela were exciting to experience.
Helen
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice Story

This story is very entertaining to those of us who are in this age range. It is nice to hear of these ladies falling in love all over again. The story is well written with a great ending.
Lisa R. Smith
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A quick read. Two ladies, both over 70, had been childhood sweethearts. A misunderstanding during their youth kept them apart. They meet, serendipitously, on a flight to Scotland and their love blooms again. Will leave you smiling.
Emma Lindhagen
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, queer
This was such a sweet read! It's so rare to find a romance with older main characters, and it was really fun to see. It deals with some heavier topics, chiefly grief (see other reviews for fuller content notes, it's been too long since I read it to reliable provide a proper list) but overall it was a feel good story! Also, a small detail, but there was a nonbinary side character which was lovely to see!
Alexandra Forrest
Jul 17, 2019
Kirsten Simkiss
Jul 17, 2019

• Anyone But Her
  • A Lesson in Love (The Village Romance, #3)
  • A Taste Of Love (The Village Romance, #2)
  • Coming Home
  • Holly and Ivy: A Lesbian Holiday Romance
  • A Shot at Love (The Village Romance, #1)
  • High October (Hobbs, #1)
  • Bells Will Be Ringing
  • Reservations of the Heart
  • Blind Faith (Duckton-by-Dale Romance, #2)
  • Rising from Ash (Forged by Fire, #1)
  • The Roommate Arrangement
  • Steel City Confidential (Steel City Series Book 1)
  • In Dyer Need: The First Chapter (Ren Dyer, #1)
  • Lost at Sea
  • Dreaming of Paradise
  • Sunsets and Shades
  • One Last Dance
**PLEASE NOTE: I DO NOT ACCEPT FRIEND REQUESTS ON THIS ACCOUNT. IF YOU WISH TO KEEP UP WITH MY REVIEWS, PLEASE FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER**

Ceillie Simkiss is an author from southern Virginia. She started writing fiction as an escape from her day job as a small town journalist, and has been at it ever since, with the support of her partner, her dog and her cats.