Start by marking “The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock” as Want to Read:
The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock

The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock

His life is perfectly regimented. Is there really room for something as unpredictable as love?

Oliver Clock has everything arranged just so. A steady job running the family funeral parlour. A fridge stocked with ready meals. A drawer full of colour-coded socks. A plan (of sorts) to stay trim enough for a standard-sized coffin. And in florist Marie, he’s even found the love
Published February 1st 2020 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock, please sign up.
Colin Wright I'm pretty sure that it's in Australia though it could be any city. As Jane Riley lives in Sydney, I'd say that there's a reasonable chance that Sydne…moreI'm pretty sure that it's in Australia though it could be any city. As Jane Riley lives in Sydney, I'd say that there's a reasonable chance that Sydney is where she's thinking of.(less)

Start your review of The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock
Melki
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first sentence in the book is I must eat less cake.

I almost stopped reading right there.

I mean, why would anyone EVER make a cockamamie vow like that?

As it turns out, that's one of the few resolutions made in this novel that Oliver does NOT keep.

Let's meet Oliver, shall we? A nebbishy funeral director about to turn forty, he's spent his entire adult life obsessed with just one woman - a woman who's married to someone else. His funeral home is looking shabby, and despite Oliver's attempt
Jayme
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.75 rounded up!

Oliver makes resolutions in a yellow, dog -eared notebook, whenever his life needs reviving, or whenever he needs to unwind from his job as a funeral director.

Excerpt: I must eat less cake.
I must stop watching infomercials.
I must take up a hobby-making model aeroplanes, perhaps?
I must go to the movies once a month..even if it means going alone.
I must find love.
Can I find love?

He has loved Marie, from afar, for 14 years. But, now it is too late.

She has left him with a gift
Ceecee
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a lovely, gentle story Jane Riley has penned for her debut novel. Oliver Clock is 39 years old, he’s a funeral director at his family’s long established and traditional firm. He has a yellow notebook in which he writes his resolutions which start with ‘Thou shalt’! He’s a lovely man, he’s witty and funny, quirky, a natty dresser especially his colourful ties and he’s in love with married Marie but he’s far too honourable and gentlemanly to tell her and then it’s too late. This delightful st ...more
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For my full review, visit me at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...

One of my personal reading goals for 2020 was to read books out of my usual comfort zone; to try new genres and narratives that seemed a little bit more “different”. Here, Riley certainly achieves this with a story based on a funeral director and his very lonely life.

For my full review, visit me at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...
DeAnn
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
3.75 quirky character stars

Quirky as in he runs a funeral parlor and sizes people up based on what size coffin they would fit in! And he’s been in love with his friend Marie for fourteen years, but he’s never told her. Oliver likes things in his life in a certain way, he’s a sharp dresser but does love his pastries.

I must admit that when I read the description for this one, I was hoping for an experience like “Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine” – but that’s such a high bar as I loved that book
Richard Propes
I kept hoping that "The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock" would completely grab me, but it just never did. It was good enough that I hung in there until the end, but it's one of those rare books where the 3-star rating was evident from beginning to end.

"The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock" was a pleasant enough read, but tonal inconsistencies bothered me - Was it about self-improvement? Was it a romance? Was it a PG-rated "40-Year-Old Virgin?" It never really completely nailed a tone and I
Annie
When we made our Reading List for Books and Brews back January or February of 2020. I picked this book for January 2021 just so I could ask this question: If your life was a scented candle what would your's smell like?
Mine - English Roses, Irish Breakfast Tea, Laphroaig Single Malt Whisky, and reading Jane Austen by the fire in library.

Like Oliver Clock I make Resolutions. Thou shalt read your free Amazon Prime books the month you receive them. This was the perfect New Years read. Loved it! It
Marianne
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock is the first novel by Australian author, Jane Riley. Thirty-nine-year-old Oliver Clock has a secret: for fourteen years, he has been in love with Marie, the florist who supplies Clock and Son Funeral Home. He had the opportunity, before Henry came along and married her, to tell her how he felt, but he hadn’t built up the courage, and then it was too late. But now he wonders if there is a chance for him: he resolves to ask her out…

Ever since his father died,
Misty
Jan 25, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I just turned the last page of this unique novel and find myself ambivalent regarding its merits. Whilst the writing is solid, the structure well-constructed, there was just something missing.

Oliver Clock is a 39 year old man experiencing his very own midlife crisis. His name is significant insomuch as his clock is ticking, and he has suddenly become acutely aware of his lot in life. Oliver inherited the family business (a funeral home that enjoyed reputable status within the community) when his
Jeeves Reads Romance
Serious with shots of humor

Last year, I read a book called How Not to Die Alone, and I couldn’t help but draw comparisons to it while reading this. Both feature lonely, middle-aged guys working in industries that deal with death, who develop feelings for married women, and make the realization that they need to make some changes if they don’t want to, well, die alone. In a lot of ways, the comparisons end there, but the tones of the book remain similar - as serious and dark as they are funny and
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
I couldn’t stand the way she bought tissue holders, as if covering them in gauche floral boxes would disguise what they really were – snot receptacles for the grieving.

I saw the cover of this book and thought...Oh I have to request it. While I’d never choose a book solely based on its cover, this one drew me in. It makes me think of that kind of crap day that turns into a week, then a month, then a year.

Oliver Clock has been the poor recipient of many bad days. He’s a bit of a loner and haun
Ruthy lavin
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
To be fair, this book is worthy of 3.5 stars but didn’t quite reach 4.... its a little bit lack lustre at times but still a great read.
I love the new popular style of character I keep meeting in general fiction these days.
Quintessentially British, a little bit dreary but unknowingly hilarious (Eleanor Oliphant and Oliver Clock being perfect examples).
This is a great book for some light hearted escapism, it’s well written and very funny in that typically inimitable British way.
Kaylani Gallardo
Jan 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I had to DNF this book! I read about 85 pages and I was completely bored! I have no connection to the character! And after 80 pages you should know more about a book then what you can simply read in the synopsis! I really wanted to like this book but I just couldn’t get myself to continue to read just for the sake of finishing a book!
Kristi Lamont
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
Another that's really worthy of 2.5 stars.....why, oh why, Goodreads, will you not let us do partial star ratings as we embark upon The Next Roaring Twenties?

This was a Kindle First Read, or whatever it is it's called these days. I was in the mood for something a little fluffy and humorous. And, well, that's what I got. A _little_ fluffy and humorous. A _lot_ chick lit. In retrospect, I realize I should've spent my time watching a movie. But, hey! Kudos to Jane Riley for writing a book, while al
Matt
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the whole thing because it was interesting and the premise was clever, but it was also kind of boring.

There was a fair amount of redundant exposition. The author would explicitly tell us how the main character felt even after showing us. In that way, I felt like the style was a bit patronizing.

Overall character development felt uneven. The main character, Oliver, was clearly the focus (it's a first person story), but I was left wanting to learn more about other characters. Even more tha
Tonstant Weader
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock is a delightful novel of a man who has lost his way. He loves to make resolutions and has a notebook full of them, not that he does one thing to make them happen.

Oliver is approaching middle age and while he owns his own business (a family funeral home he inherited), he feels he has missed out on life, on having a family and children. He is in love with the florist, Marie, but by the time he realized he loved her, she was already married. He comes to believ
Rachel McMillan
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Freaking delightful
Louisa Dwyer
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling and lovely

So not my usual kind of book but I’m thrilled that I decided to give it a go. The story is heartwarming, sometimes amusing and very original
Amber
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oliver Clock is stuck. He can't get out of his head to move forward with any of the random resolutions he has made over the years. Approaching his 40th birthday, the OCD Oliver continues on making and putting off his resolutions until it's too late to realize the dream of having the girl he loves.
However, this loss is exactly what he needed to propel himself forward and to "get out of his comfort zone."
One thinks at first that Oliver was forced into the family funeral home, business, but I thin
Melissa
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an absolutely delightful book! I have no idea what made me grab it. No, that's not true. I know why I grabbed this audio book. It was narrated by the PHENOMENAL Steve West. He is, by far, my absolute favorite audio book narrator. Bar none. I have loved every book he has narrated, and this one is no different. He makes every book even better through his narration.

But the narration is not the thing that made me love this story. It's the story. Oliver Clock is a fairly ordinary man ready to tu
Ange H
Aug 24, 2020 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
DNF @ 28%

I usually love books about quirky people. Oliver is almost 40. He is the third generation owner of a funeral home, Clock and Sons. He’s weird, chubby and has a domineering mother. He has a mad crush on Marie, a florist he works with. He’s just about to tell her how he feels, and she dies. Oliver gets even weirder. He suggests to potential clients that they fire the remains of their loved ones into space, or use their ashes in commemorative snow globes. I’m making it sound more interesti
Shelley Oesterreicher
I choose this book on a whim - I was given two free Kindle books on Amazon. The description intrigued me. At the beginning it seemed slow paced and I wasn’t sure if I liked it. I’m so glad I stuck with it and finished reading it! Oliver Clock is a wonderful, endearing character. I was cheering him on through all of his dilemmas.
Rhian Eleri
Apr 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Oliver Clock is an oddball. I didn't warm to him at all, and nearly gave up. Around page 200 It got a little better and I must say, some quite funny things happen. This isn't a story about anything in particular, but more of a character based book. Before I read it I thought it might be similar to Eleanor Oliphant . Oliver is honest and a little naive like Eleanor, but not half as loveable. It would be interesting to see the both meet up!! I had difficulty believing a person could live a life as ...more
Bex Reynolds
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't describe how much I loved this book. The main character is so likeable, my feelings peaked and troughed with his throughout. The writing is excellent. This is heartwarming reading at its finest! ...more
Z
Jan 20, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldnt-finish
This book should be called The Many Similes of Oliver Clock. I could not get past the first few chapters. Every single thing that happened was compared in simile form to some other silly, nonsensical, or just random thing. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen the simile overused as much as I did in this book. It made it unbearable to read.
Nadeen
We all make lists. At least I make lists so I assume everyone else does to. If I am wrong I hope no one contradicts me so that I can continue to live under the assumption that I am somewhat normal.

Oliver Clock makes lists - little affirmations and pledges of things he is going to do. He has a book or two filled with them. But sadly, at 39 he hasn't followed through with any of them. The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock tells the story of what happens when you start following through on your p
Glenda Malone
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good book! Any book that can make me laugh out loud and cry is one that has grabbed my heart. I love this story of courage and perseverance and all the stumbles along the way. We all know life isn’t perfect. This book is a great reminder to not allow ourselves to get stuck in the imperfections. So many good things can happen when we keep moving forward.
Impy
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oddly Charming

Strange, offbeat, sweet and endearing. I think this one might have to go on my shelf of "comfort reads" for when I'm feeling down and need something familiar to warm my day.
Claire
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don’t know how or why I had this book on my Kindle, but it was a delightful surprise. It moved fast enough, and it was funny in enough places. I feel a few plot points were rushed or not given proper closure, but it wasn’t enough to affect my liking of the book overall.

• Mistress Suffragette
  • Trail To Yesterday
  • Red Russia
  • The Names of the Dead
  • A Very Stable Genius: Donald J. Trump's Testing of America
  • An Uncommon Woman
  • The Duchess in His Bed (Sins for All Seasons, #4)
  • Lost Hills (Eve Ronin, #1)
  • Baiting Him (How to Catch an Alpha #2)
  • Marrying My Billionaire Boss
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River, #1)
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • Unspeakable Things
  • Thin Air (Jessica Shaw, #1)
  • Single
  • The Bend in Redwood Road (Missing Pieces, #1)
  • When We Were Brave
  • Credence
Hi, I'm Jane Riley and THE LIKELY RESOLUTIONS OF OLIVER CLOCK is my debut novel.

I began my career in public relations before moving into publishing and later launching an online e-commerce business. I have freelanced as a writer and editor and wrote a design blog interviewing makers and creators.

I volunteer as an English language tutor for the Adult Migrant English Program in Sydney and am learn

News & Interviews

“sometimes life has a strange way of showing us it cares. And the act of accepting this can be the hardest thing to do.” 1 likes
“Can you ‘get a life’ or does life find you?” 1 likes