Start by marking “Watching from the Dark (DCI Jonah Sheens, #2)” as Want to Read:
Watching from the Dark (DCI Jonah Sheens, #2)

Watching from the Dark

(DCI Jonah Sheens #2)

Pre-order the second gripping Jonah Sheens novel, from the author of She Lies in Wait

Aidan Poole logs onto his laptop late at night to Skype his girlfriend, Zoe. But to his horror, he realizes she is not alone.

Completely helpless, all he can do is listen to the sounds of a violent struggle. And then a chilling silence.

He's desperate to find out if she is OK. But then why
Published February 6th 2020 by Michael Joseph

To ask other readers questions about Watching from the Dark, please sign up.
Gytha Lodge Sorry for the delay in replying :) It definitely should be, though readers are obviously much better placed to answer objectively! I was conscious of…moreSorry for the delay in replying :) It definitely should be, though readers are obviously much better placed to answer objectively! I was conscious of wanting to make sure the series could be picked up at any point, so I wrote it as a book you could read entirely by itself.

The police team have their own stories that are threaded through but I've tried to ensure you can pick these up easily too. (less)

Start your review of Watching from the Dark (DCI Jonah Sheens, #2)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, it’s another fast and intriguing reading burned a lot of my grey cells. (Dunking my head in icy bucket to put down the fire) I have to admit I had a great time ( Even though my grey cells packed their bags and want to abandon my head forever)

The book is starting fast. We’re quickly introduced (actually we are not! Correction: We just see a random guy name Aidan who sits in front of his computer and we are not sure if he is pervert or a normal human being! He may be soul twin of Joe
Paromjit
This the sequel to Gytha Lodge's DCI Jonah Sheens of the Hampshire Constabulary series, a sequel I was really keen to read after enjoying She Lies In Wait. This is a multilayered blend of psychological thriller and police procedural, and it has a intriguing and fabulous beginning. Aidan Poole is a lecturer, on his laptop late at night, on skype to his girlfriend, Zoe Swardadine, only she has made her way to have a bath. He is waiting, looking at her flat, when he hears someone enter the flat, go ...more
Sandy
So imagine this. You’re on the computer late one night, waiting for your girlfriend to appear on your Skype feed. You can see her empty living room & it sounds like she’s in the bath. Suddenly, in the corner of the screen, you see the edge of her front door slowly open. Soft foot steps echo down the hallway. The next thing you hear is the sound of splashing water. Minutes later, you watch in horror as the front door quietly closes. Silence.

Aidan Poole doesn’t have to imagine it. He’s left
Liz
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is the second in the Jonah Sheens series. I really enjoyed the first book, but it took me slightly longer to engage with this one. Aidan Poole is attempting to Skype with his girlfriend when he sees someone entering her apartment and then it’s apparent something violent happens off screen. He reports the incident but for some reason, doesn’t give his name or contact info. Sure enough, she’s been murdered. Will the police believe him? And why the hesitancy about giving his name?

Part of my
megs_bookrack
I am so happy and blessed to have this book!!!

I need a moment...

I really enjoyed She Lies in Wait last year and was psyched to hear we were getting another DCI Jonah Sheens book so soon.

Thank you, Random House, for my ARC!!!
MissBecka
Well that was delightful.
Loving this series and loving Gytha Lodge's style.
I am eager for more cases with these detectives!
Much love to NetGalley & Random House Publishing Group - Random House for my DRC.
Carolyn
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars. Gytha Lodge previously wrote She Lies In Wait, a meticulous police procedural which was one of my favourite books in 2019. I was thrilled to learn that there was a second book featuring the same team of police detectives. Watching From the Dark proves that her first intricately plotted, complex novel which detailed the work necessary in solving crimes was not beginners' luck and places her among the top authors of slow-burning British police procedural/ psychological thrillers.

The
Amy Imogene Reads

A man waits for his girlfriend to pick up his Skype call. Waiting for her on the webcam, he sees something in her apartment that he wasn't expecting to see—her murder.

Concept: 1/2
Characters:
Mystery(s)/Reveal(s):

Watching from the Dark comes out on February 25, 2020.

Watching From the Dark is the second novel in the British detective series centered on DCI Jonah Sheens and his police team, Hanson, Lightman, and O'Malley.

Aidan Poole is waiting for Zoe on Skype one night, and instead of
Bridgett
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I didn't realize, upon requesting this ARC, that it was the second in a series of books.

I wish I had. Although I suppose you could consider this a stand-alone, the characters (those in the police force) weren't fleshed out at all. As I was reading, it felt as though I should know who all these people were, and their back stories; but I didn't. It was this big, huge hole that I couldn't fill because I hadn't read book one.

Beyond that, the writing had a quality which I found...floundering. The
Nigel
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc
In brief - Decent enough read and very good in parts.

In full
I read and enjoyed Gytha Lodge's first book. While I wasn't blown away by it it was a decent crime read and I did like a couple of the characters in it. One them was DCI Jonah Sheens and this book finds him involved in another puzzling case. Aidan is on his computer late at night to call his girlfriend Zoe on Skye. He realises that there seems to be someone else in her flat and then hears a violent struggle taking place. It all goes
Liz Barnsley
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Gytha Lodge's first novel and her second is just as compelling - we have the same detective team but as with the last book the story is mostly driven by the group dynamic of the characters caught up in a murder...

Zoe dies, watched in part from afar by someone with a lot to lose should he report it - from then on in we have a beautifully plotted and presented mystery with insightful twists and turns, an eclectic and absorbing set of darkly intriguing suspects leading towards an
Dave
Watching From the Dark, despite the bright colorful science-fiction-like cover, is a British police procedural. The investigation follows after an online video chat reveals what appears to be a murder in the background. Aidan thinks he’ll chat with Zoe, but he hears her in the bath, then the sound of someone quickly attacking her. Or at least he thinks she does.

It probably would have been more interesting if Aidan didn’t know Zoe in real life. Because then you’d have him trying to prove it was
Tasha
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book starts with a bang as we watch Aidan witness what he thinks is his girlfriend Zoe being murdered across a Skype conversation. But why does he delay contacting the police? And then is deliberately vague when he does? As the police team start investigating and looking into Zoe’s social circle you soon realise that this is a book where everyone has something to hide and it’s hard to spot the clues amongst the red herrings.

This is actually the second book in the DCI Jonah Sheen series
Janice Lombardo
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb! Zoe, an artist, is murdered in her bath. Aiden had been on-line waiting to face chat with Zoe. Instead, he witnesses a person coming in quietly and Zoe in distress. When Zoe is quiet, Aiden sees the person leave .but nothing to identify him/her. Aiden is afraid to alert the police - EVERYTHING would "come out" if he did. He calls the police about an hour later, reporting to the police yet not leaving his name. The following day his guilt at not reporting what he had heard and seen on his ...more
Sheri
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Watching from the Dark has a great opening concept: a man witnessing - or rather, overhearing - the murder of his girlfriend via Skype. But why is Aidan Poole so reluctant to report his concerns about Zoe to the police? He’s clearly hiding something. But he’s not the only one...

Jonah Sheens and his team, previously seen in the excellent She Lies in Wait, find there’s a lot to unravel in the investigation of what happened to art student Zoe Swardadine. Her on-off relationship with Aidan, her
peggy
A really gripping start but unfortunately for me it never progressed. Her first book was a fantastic 5 star read and I was hoping for more of the same. For me there was too much back story and the police were incompetent and needed to be retrained and learn how to be proper detectives. This book did not grab me or hold my attention. Saying that I am sure other readers will enjoy it more just not for me. Just over 3 stars.
Thanks to Penguin UK and Michael Joseph and Netgalley for the ARC.
Kat
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent police procedural and although I hadn’t read the first book in the series it in no way spoilt this one and in fact it can be read as a stand-alone in my opinion. The team of detectives led by DCI Jonah Sheens are plunged into a murder made to look like a suicide and from then on there are plenty twists and turns as the team struggle to find out who the perpetrator may be. I have to say it fooled me right to the end even though I read a lot of mystery thrillers.
The writing
Jen
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I'd read the blurb a little more closely, I may have deduced that this is the second book in a series. I didn't and it is, but that didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying it and shouldn't stop anyone who hasn't read book one, She Lies In Wait, from enjoying it either. This book works perfectly well as a stand alone and while I may have known a little more about the central police team investigating the case, I wouldn't have learned more about the victim and her strange bunch of ...more
Kerry-louise Jones
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Aidan Poole logs on to his laptop late at night to Skype his girlfriend, Zoe. To his horror, he realizes that there is someone else in her flat, and Aidan can only listen to the sounds of a violent struggle - and then the chilling sound of silence. Aidan is desperate to find out if Zoe is OK. So why doesn't he call the police?

The whole idea of this book fascinated me especially in this digital age where anyone can watch you in the comfort of your own home! I was intrigued to find out why her
Rachel
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW. This book was such a great thriller I had a hard time putting it down. Starting from the first Chapter, it dove right into the story plot and for the next 31 chapters, had me guessing who in their right mind would kill such a sweet, love-strucked Zoe. As I was reading this, I felt like I knew her and i felt her pain. I felt how compassionate she was with her friends, putting their feelings above her own. I felt the love she had for Aidan, and how she fell for his lies over and over again- ...more
Katherine
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Aidan logs onto Skype late at night to talk to his girlfriend Zoe and, to his horror, listens to the sounds of a violent struggle. But he doesn't immediately call the police. Once he does, they find Zoe dead in her apartment.

Watching from the Dark is multiple point of view, following Zoe, the suspects, and the police. There are two timelines, one present day and the other beginning over a year earlier from Zoes perspective as we get ever closer to the day of her death. Everyone plays fast and
Shannon Dyer
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, mystery, 2020
Review to come at AAR.
Tracy Wood
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-2020, 2020
It should have been the perfect murder; a quiet street late at night, a victim living alone, a perpetrator no one realised had a key, able to slip in and out unnoticed ... or were they? A laptop open on Zoe's desk meant her boyfriend, Aiden, already waiting for her on Skype while she took a bath, sees nothing but hears everything, what will he do?

DCI Jonah Sheens has a team he trusts, a workload which includes a complex blackmail case and a message about a murder which might or might not have
Rachel Patrick
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a good police procedural and that's exactly what this was.
This book grabs you from the start when Aiden Hera's his girlfriend Zoe's murder while o skype. From there you follow the police investigation with snippets of Zoe's life leading up to her murder.
I love a good police investigation and pretending I'm an investigator, in truth I'd be terrible and should be in charge of nothing, and this book is exactly what that is. It takes through so you feel as though you are part of the
Johnna Whetstone
4-5 stars!
Will I find the beginning to be very riveting and engrossing, I also had a hard time keeping all the characters separate and defined. I didn’t realize until I had read some, that this was a follow up to to the authors last book, but I did enjoy it once I got all the characters down. I think that it was well written, chilling, thrilling, and shocking! Highly recommend to those who enjoy a good murder/mystery thriller!
Will make sure I buzz it up on all the different platforms!
Trina Murdock
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A creepy start that caught my imagination, a victim you really feel for, lots of suspects to choose from, all with motives that seem very real and believable. The police are engaging and interesting too. When's the next in the series? I can't wait!!!
Kath
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed She Lies in Wait when I read it earlier this year so I was quite excited to get my hand on this, the second in the series. I wasn't disappointed either as I pretty much read start to finish in just a couple of sittings only breaking for food and being as it was Christmas Day, there was much of that to be had!
We start with Aidan video-chatting his girlfriend Zoe but what he sees shocks him to the core. There is someone in the flat with her, someone who looks like they mean her
Annette
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable police procedural mystery which kept me guessing until the last few pages.
It is the second book in the Jonah Sheens Detective series but even though I hadn’t read the first one I didn’t have any problems getting up to speed with the characters and their backgrounds.
In this book Jonah’s team are investigating the murder of art student, Zoe and their are many possible suspects!
Zoe’s boyfriend Aiden Poole is Skyping her and hears her being attacked although he cannot see anything. He
Jen
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, twisty, psychological thriller! It started off with a bang, lagged in the middle, then finished strong. The lag in the middle was a bummer, I was not invested and not keen to pick it up and continue reading. I’m glad I did, as the conclusion was a fun and fast paced ride! I wish the author had filled in more backstory from book one, it was merely a mention. I enjoyed both books in this series and will look forward to the series continuing! 3.5 Thank you to the publisher for the advance ...more
Jo
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
We start the book with a murder seen via a Skype connection by the victim's boyfriend, Aidan, but there's obviously something not quite right as he doesn't want to report what he has seen, nor does he rush round to help. He debates for a while before reporting the crime anonymously. Unfortunately this is discarded as a false report as some of the information was taken down incorrectly. He keeps an eye on the news, but not hearing anything, he reports it again. Luckily the report comes to the ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Guest List
  • The Other People
  • The House on the Lake
  • Strangers
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • No Bad Deed
  • Three Hours
  • Our Little Cruelties
  • In Plain Sight (Detective Clare Mackay Book 2)
  • The Temple House Vanishing
  • Six Wicked Reasons
  • Haven't They Grown
  • Grace is Gone
  • The Memory Wood
  • The Burning Men
  • The Silent House
  • Little White Lies
  • Liar Liar (DS Grace Allendale #3)
Gytha Lodge is a multi-award-winning playwright, novelist and writer for video games and screen. She is also a single parent who blogs about the ridiculousness of bringing up a mega-nerd small boy.

She has a profound addiction to tea, crosswords and awful puns. When not writing, she heads up a copywriting team at a global translation firm, where she generally tries to keep all the video-game

DCI Jonah Sheens (2 books)
  • She Lies in Wait (DCI Jonah Sheens, #1)