Start by marking “Bruny” as Want to Read:
Bruny

Bruny

How far would your government go?

A right-wing US president has withdrawn America from the Middle East and the UN. Daesh has a thoroughfare to the sea and China is Australia's newest ally. When a bomb goes off in remote Tasmania, Astrid Coleman agrees to return home to help her brother before an upcoming election. But this is no simple task. Her brother and sister are on e
Paperback, Trade, 424 pages
Published October 2019 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about Bruny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bruny

Kylie D
It took me forever to read this book, mainly because the first three quarters of it was so freaking boring. Too much politics and not enough story. I really don't enjoy reading about politics, though I don't mind if it's relevant to the story. In this case it was the only thing we read about. The last quarter of the book did pick up and was quite good, but by then I was over it.

2.5 stars rounded up.

My thanks to Allen & Unwin for an uncorrected proof in exchange for an
Bri Lee
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First things first: if you're picking this up thinking it will be anything like 'The Museum of Modern Love', then know that it won't. Absolutely do not let that be the thing that stops you buying and reading it. How awful the writing world would be if we limited authors to one type/kind/style of writing!? BORING. Now, 'Bruny' is a faaaaantastic political thriller. I no longer work in a bookstore, but if I did I'd tell people this is the PERFECT summer read. Page-turner, explosions, intrigue, aff ...more
Trish L
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I found myself quite engrossed in this book, primarily - I think - because of my soft spot for Tasmania. Heather Rose's descriptions of the Hobart region and Bruny certainly brought them alive. An overly large and intrusive bridge is being built to connect the main island south of Hobart and Bruny. This has caused much division in the community and polarisation both for and against the development. Why is it needed at all for such a sleepy destination as Bruny Island? Our heroine, Ace, is brough ...more
Kim
There's a lot in this novel firmly set in remote Tassie. I'll be updating soon with a completed review but just saying here, that I finished it with a smile on my face after having read an excellent book. Heather Rose really did deliver!
Debbie
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Part political mystery and family drama, with love stories intertwined and a mystery that lies beneath of all this.

Astrid Coleman is a UN diplomat, a peacekeeper and conflict resolution specialist. Her family are involved in politics in Tasmania and when the Bruny bridge is bombed, mid-construction, she is asked to return home to help her brother before an upcoming election. But given her brother and sister are on opposing sides of politics, the tension is high. To make matters worse
Julie Garner
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book.
Wow! I have not read Museum of Modern Love but now I think I have no choice. Heather Rose is a superb wordsmith. I found whilst reading Bruny that time just melted away. She has beautiful descriptive language that help you find a sense of place for her story.
This is a story about home and our strong connection with the land. It is about a woman who has travelled far from that home, to escape but upon returning questions why she ever left the land she loved.
Lisa
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 19review, australia, c21st
Heather Rose was the author of three adult novels before she won the 2017 Stella Prize for The Museum of Modern Love, and I meant to chase up these earlier novels — but so many other books were clamouring for my attention...

So I came to Bruny knowing Rose only as a literary author of a meditation on art and love, and it was a surprise to discover that this gripping new novel is a powerful and intensely political story.

And why not? If you are the author of a prize-winning novel, and you know
Jemma
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Australia had been teetering on the brink of right-wing extremism for years... What were our shared values? Nobody seemed to know, other than to look to the past. But you can’t wind back time. There was trouble coming. We could all feel it.”

I admit that Bruny isn’t the usual type of book that I would think to pick up, but being written by Stella Award winning Heather Rose was enough to pique my interest, and I’m so glad that it did and that I was fortunate enough to be sent an advanced cop
Jay Dwight
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this tale. Family, politics and conspiracy theories interwoven into a compelling narrative set in Tasmania.

The family dynamic hooked me - two twins, the male the Liberal party Premier of Tasmania, the female works for the UN. A half sister who is leader of the Labor Opposition. All from a Labor family where the father was a former Premier. Definitely an interesting mix, set inside Tasmania's state politics which are already that bit different to mainland Australia.

A $2Billion in
Michaela
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, let me just say that I adored The Museum of Modern Love and was so excited about this one but also a little apprehensive as I loved it that much. These two books are very different from each other but each were mind-blowingly good. On the back of Greta Thunberg and climate change and ScoMo's "needless anxiety" Bruny is very timely and relevant. Set in the future so immediate it is practically present we have a novel that has a little bit of everything: a thriller full of politics and cl ...more
Jessica M
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it

Bruny by Heather Rose is a political thriller about family, relationships, responsibility, and order.

Set on Tasmania’s Bruny Island, the book begins after the almost-complete Bruny Bridge is blown up in the early hours of the morning. Shocked but undeterred, the Tasmanian government want that bridge to remain a top priority and are not being deterred by the terrorist act; they do all that they can to ensure the infrastructure project stays on track, and their actions could have disastr
Jo
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars. I was mesmerised by Heather Rose’ artful prose in The Museum of Modern Love , and so was very keen to see how she’d apply that to the political thriller genre. Cutting right to the chase… I was not disappointed on that score. Rose has a platform and she has chosen to use it to raise greater awareness about matters of great importance to her and many others. Bruny is not just about politics, it is a very political book. But do not let that turn you off.

Yes, there is an environmen
Karen
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bruny is a cleverly constructed family drama that happens to be tightly intertwined with political intrigue. I loved the twist in the conspiracy theories that had me on the edge of my seat the whole way through the book.

Having lived in Tassie for a few years I was delighted to be reminded of favourite sights/feels and feel inspired to return for a visit.

Heather Rose has such a beautiful style of writing - I will now go and read her other books.

Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
‘My island home of Tasmania – and the brilliant community I live amongst – I wrote this for you.’

Heather Rose, Acknowledgements, Bruny

Bruny, by Heather Rose, is a tribute to the Tasmania – the land, its issues of contention and its people. Penned by the 2017 Winner of the Stella Prize, this hybrid political thriller, satire and family saga is volatile and meteoric meditation on our not too distant future.
Bianca
Heather Rose and I should be friends. I felt that when I was reading her excellent The Museum of Modern Love and even more so after hearing her speak a couple of times at the Perth Writers Festival.

When I picked up the brand new copy of Bruny, I was kind of put off by the Crime label on its spine but remembered it wasn't the first time I noticed books mislabelled, more importantly, it was written by Heather Rose so that was what mattered the most.

So, here are a few random thoughts, unedited and unpolished (l
Tony Nielsen
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Based in Tasmania Heather Rose's "Bruny" grabs you very quickly and won't let go, until the literally explosive ending. This a world with an ultra right wing US President (sound familiar ??) and in which the big news on the island of Bruni is the building is the everyday reality at the moment. The project is not without its critics, who want to retain the rustic charm of Bruny island. When a massive explosion cripples the building of the bridge so enters a new personality to the island.
Janet Butler
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought at first it was over the top with every conceivable issue in Tasmanian life and politics finding a place in the story. But as I read on, I couldn’t put it down and it really was a gripping thriller where all those issues came together. So totally different from The Museum of Modern Love but sure to have everyone thinking and talking. The first time I ever heard Heather speak was to a gathering of Year 9 and 10 girls at an International Womens Day breakfast and I was inspired by the way ...more
Barbara Phi
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I grew up nearby and the sense of place is brilliant. As is her assessment and delineation of the parochial aspect of Tasmanian life and especially politics. And the two degrees of separation. (I've tried a quiet visit and am always contacted by two or three cousins who I thought didn't have my phone number.)

It's a rattling good read which draws on some of the possible consequences of current politics, so the aspect of warning is very important. Definitely a cautionary tale if
Deborah
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm fairly sure I should be ashamed of the fact that I only heard of Bruny Island recently so had some vague idea where it was. I'd been contemplating attending a writing festival in Tasmania in Huon Valley and discovered that (nearby) Bruny Island is a popular tourist destination.

So... I'd thankfully I had some idea of the context of the setting of this excellent new novel by Australian author Heather Rose which takes place in the not-too-distant future.

Read my review he
Lucy
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very cleverly written book about political interference, foreign investment, Tasmania and family politics. The author has worked in a huge number of references to actual events, which places you in it, and the depictions of Tasmania and Tasmanians - and particularly how they feel about their state - I felt were so accurate.

There are some great twists and some really interesting characters. It has something for everyone.
Lisa Denny
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Woah. Uncomfortably borderline fictitious. For those not Tasmanian, politically aware of local issues and historical events, then it could be a light read with some broader, more poignant messages. Best thought provoking moment - what does success look like? When able to articulate, it often change ideas about life. Some things are worth fighting for; the intangible things that bring joy and happiness and love and peace.
Victoria
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this book very engrossing and familiar - familiar conversation, environments and characters.

At times the storyline felt a little far fetched, and the power of the book is that it’s set in the not too distant future. This meant the story was quite uncomfortable - the sign of a good book!

It’s a very political read, which is fascinating, if you enjoy that sort of thing!
Trish Bond
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can see Bruny Island from my reading room. This story has great insight to the Tasmania psyche, Tasmanian way of life and why people choose to live here. I touches on some realistic economic threats.
Enjoyable read.
Scare Bear
Oct 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
I enjoyed the Museum of modern love. I saw the author speak about it and found the concept of how people engage with art really interesting.
So what happened here?
Really surprised and disappointed by this.
Helen
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: australian
For a political thriller I expected something a bit more pacy but the plot feels slow to develop at times. It is well-written and the family dynamic is explored insightfully, portraying the private, public and political tensions between the siblings and parents with realism. However, there are a few subplots which are never fully explored - these would have added some extra depth to the characters if they had been developed further, rather than just touched on and then forgotten. The big revelat ...more
Ally Van Schilt
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. So very different from “Museum” but still so good. Perfect blend of intelligent politics, family drama, idyllic setting and current affairs.
Philippa
Shelves: read-2019
Magnificent. A political thriller, a family drama and a plea to us all to fight to protect the places we love.
Carla Cram
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a really easy read but I could not put it down. I loved the true references and it really made me think about what is possible
Christine Mooney
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant home grown political thriller.
Rebecca
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG loved it! Thought provoking, brilliant!
Heather Rose is the bestselling Australian author of seven novels. Heather writes for both adults and children. Her adult novels include The Museum of Modern Love, The River Wife & The Butterfly Man.

The Museum of Modern Love won the 2017 Stella Prize, the Christina Stead Prize and the Margaret Scott Prize. It was shortlisted for the Australian Literary Society Medal and longlisted
“There ought to be a name for the kind of overwhelm that happens when you realise there are too many things to fight. If it’s not environment, then it’s human rights. If it’s not human rights, it’s women’s rights. Law and order. Gun control. Invasive species. Water pollution. Tax reform. Refugee policy. Education. Health care. The list is endless.” 0 likes