Start by marking “Genesis” as Want to Read:
Genesis

Genesis

(What Happened to Lori #1)

Three people.
Each has a secret.
Each has an agenda.
All three are liars.

One of them committed a terrible crime.
One of them is on the run.
More than one of them is a killer.

These three people are about to find out what happened to Lori.
And they're going to wish they never did...

WHAT HAPPENED TO LORI - BOOK 1: GENESIS
Is she dead? Or is it much worse?

ABOUT THE BOOK

What Happened
Published June 5th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Genesis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genesis

Start your review of Genesis
Mort
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ted Tayler
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
"Disjointed"

Not what I expected at all. Weird writing style. At the start I was eager to learn what happened to Lori, but by halfway the story had been stretched paper-thin and everything dragged. I just wanted to get to the end. Of course, there WAS no end, no resolution, no comprehension. It was another cliffhanger to encourage me to buy the next book. I hate that ploy.
Susan Hampson
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My mind is already blown away with this book and the second and concluding part is yet to be published. It isn't that you need to get your head around a lot of characters, primarily there are only three but all of them are complex and seriously unbalanced in some way.
The core of the story centres around Lori, who doesn't even make an appearance except by name. Lori is missing presumed murdered by her husband Fabler.
Fabler had been released from prison after only two years and now seems to be on
Coco.V
Jul 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (7/18/2019)! ...more
Ronald Keeler
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
ADMIN NOTE: This is a partial review of one portion of a “Duology.” My comments are subject to updates as I find more information. Konrath is an excellent writer who on occasion, likes to play with readers. Genesis is an example of one of those occasions. The novel can be read as entertainment or as the invitation to a game and discussion. This review will focus on one pass, one-time examination of the story as entertainment. True, the story ends in a cliffhanger, but Konrath provides a warning ...more
Renee
5 Crazy Stars

What Happened to Lori Book 1 pulls you in slowly, bit by bit. Before you know it you’re ensnared in a plot you really know nothing about. The characters are compelling, a dash of crazy and a bit of ludicrousness. Good times for all. Book 2 cannot get here soon enough!
Robbie
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars-plus
First of all, I HATE cliff-hangers. Because Konrath is the author, I made an exception and bought this one anyway. It was well-written (no surprise) but, in addition to the cliff-hanging, the diple <> made me want to hurt someone. So now I'm hooked and have to read the second book. I hope you're happy, Konrath. I rate this one 4.4 stars only because it was a cliff-hanger (don't forget the diple); otherwise, it would have been 5 stars.
Deacon D.
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm gonna wait until I read the second book of this "duology", before I give a rating/review of this one.

I think that's only fair, Konrath. (6/26/2019)

10/2/2019

A solid 4 stars, Konrath.

patricia millner
Jul 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Good book terrible ending

Good grief, the ending is BS.... Most annoying
..........the only way to get anyclosure is to buy book 2 which apparently is not out yet.
Reggie McWade
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.

I want to spend more time with these characters and of course find out what happened to Lori. Good thing book 2 is coming soon.
Mylene
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is like Twin Peaks all over again!!!!

OMG.... I can’t wait until August!!!!

Although I love the cliffhanger idea, waiting for part 2 is going to kill me.
I have a love/hate relationship with this type of story structuring.
On the one hand, it is an effective way to get readers to put out for the end (or the next chapter) of the story. On the other hand, it is annoying as hell (Of course I want to know what happens next.... duh!)

In terms of being an effective hook for readers? That’s hard for
Scott
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: this book is the first of two parts and ends on a serious cliffhanger. Mr. Konrath has been very upfront about this, but I am still seeing reviews from people who are butthurt about it so it bears repeating. If you can't handle it, wait for Part 2 to be released or move on.

I am a big fan of Joe Konrath and a new book from him immediately goes to the front of the line. This is a bit of a departure because it doesn't explicitly connect to his universe of characters which makes it a
Lynda Kelly
Aug 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: deleted
I didn't get very far into this before deleting it at only 4%. The author comes across in notes he makes before it begins as very self-satisfied and a proper clever-trousers. However, that's all very well if your story is a terrific one but for me this isn't. His "smart" way of writing people's thoughts using is just irritating and needless.
At the beginning of almost every chapter we had to sit and reread Lori's answerphone message, which just seems to be a lot of unnecessary filling to me. The
Pallav
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a crazy ride. The book is full of tense and mysterious situations. The characters are super interesting. They are weird in their own way and each one has a back story that's very very interesting.

The book uses a new style of writing where the thoughts of each character are a part of the dialogue and that adds even more tautness of the tension in the book. Like you can look into the heads of the characters and view the story from their point of view. It's innovative!

They story will get
Clota
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Captivating!

I have to admit, at first, I wasn't into it. But I forced myself to keep reading, and man, I am so glad that I did! This author got me, hook, line, and sinker. His character development is on par; you actually start FEELING for all three characters, and you want to feel bad for Doruk while also wanting to choke him... how did Konrath do that?!

And the cliffhanger... aaarrrrggghhhh. Konrath, you brilliant sadist! I HAVE to know. I guess that means I'll be ordering Book 2 as soon as I
Jeff Benham
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A little housekeeping first. This book is free. If you read it, please review it. It is a full length book, but it is a duology, a two book series. I expected a cliff hanger at the end and sure was not disappointed. The author also uses < and > to group thoughts. Kind of like thought clouds in cartoons. These are called "diples". Fabler is in prison for killing his wife, Lori. Three years in, it was found that he was framed by his brother-in-law, Grim, who was a police officer, who was ...more
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up because 1) it was free on Amazon and 2) I enjoy a good Konrath novel. It started off a little odd and I wasn't sure about it at first... but once you get in to it, you will find that the story is mainly told from 3 perspectives - Fabler, Lori's husband; Grim, Lori's brother, and Presley, a woman that is hired by Fabler. Great characters, interesting story, and some thrilling action.

Keep in mind this is only Book 1, so it ends in a cliffhanger.... Boo!

Now I'm anxiously
Amy Einstein
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another winner

All the intensity I’ve come to expect from JA Konrath. Perfect pace, character investment almost immediately. One of the best for suspense, and this did not disappoint. I think i have some idea what happened to Lori but I’m sure I’m wrong. I’ve never figured out any of Konrath’s endings before, so I’m sure I won’t now. Similar style to most all he’s written so if you like any of the Jack Daniels books you’ll be happy here.
Kimberly Burnette
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love JA Konrath and this story is spectacular! Great characters, great story, love the diples! I don’t know how I am supposed to wait until almost September for book 2! I have some theories about what happened to Lori, but I really do not want to know until I read book 2. And as Mr. Konrath says....I’m probably wrong with my guesses! ...more
Teri
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
And now I wait...

It's a cliffhanger but Konrath is up front about that. If you're a devoted Konrath reader you'll recognize some characteristics in the heros of this thriller and you'll love them all more for their flaws. Classic Konrath style with thrills, humor, and romance. This book is everything I've come to expect and I'm eagerly awaiting the next release.
Jennifer Taylor
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced and addictive

I am a big fan of JA Konrath and was very excited to read his newest book. As always I was not disappointed! From the first page I couldn’t put the story down and ate it up like candy! The characters are great, each with their own particular “charm”, the perfect amount of humor, and a cliffhanger that guarantees I’ll be reading part 2 as soon as it’s available so I can find out if my theory is correct!
Rita
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book. It is written in a way that is exciting and you are always wondering what is going to happen next. I love how the author writes and keeps the entire book interesting. There are some wonderful characters in this book and I am always thinking what could possibly happen next. I was on my edge of the seat throughout the entire book. I want to know what happens in the next book.
Kat Hossler
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG!!!

What a great book! It begins with many questions to be answered, and by the end there are more unanswered than answered!
Patty
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love it

If I could give more stars I definitely would. As a whole this book is amazing. Can't wait for the next one. Yes I would say it ends on a cliff! I was thinking Fabler was a nut. Thinking he might still be. Guess I will determine that in the next book. Kadir and Doruk, the dynamic duo(not!!) are freaking hilarious. Grim just can't seem to get his life back on track. Presley, she's in it for the money and to get back to Brooklyn. When these five finally meet up nothing goes as planned.
Cynthia Lynn
Ooh I LOVED this one!

Great characters, funny and scary at the same time.

Also that ONE friend you just cannot quit;)

Yes I am getting the next one!!!!
Kelsey Bodenhamer
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
And now we wait ... what happened to Lori?
Tiffany Stewart
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge Konrath fan! The set up took me a little getting used to..but didn't deter me at all. I should have believed him when he warned there was a huge cliffhanger! I hate having to wait!!! I need to know what happened next. I hate starting series til their all out, I don't want to end up in this never ending waiting period (I.E. game of thrones)..August can't come soon enough!
Karen Rega
Jul 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
Fool me once,

Read it so fast to learn I've been duped...strung me along....went too far...now I don't care what happened to Lori!
karen mickalonis
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dude...

I know, I was warned about how this book ended and I was like, "oh sure, whatever, cliffhanger blah blah blah..." But now I am invested and need to know. Now. This started off weird to me but then I was hooked. Wtf happened to goddamned Lori?! Need to know, stat. Please? Do I really need to wait until August?! C'mon man.... Great and intense read, can't wait to see what happens!
Liz
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down

Exciting read. Konrath always takes you on a journey with his books . Lots of little hints if you read carefully. Can't wait to read how it ends .
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• ONE LAST KILL
  • Zodiac Killers Box Set (Zodiac Killers #1-3)
  • Death Report (The Sergeant Brad Braun Series, #1)
  • The Numbers Killer (An Agent Victoria Heslin Thriller, #1)
  • Before She's Gone
  • Run from Me (Detective Sara Hunt #1)
  • Pretty Little Girls (An Agent Victoria Heslin Thriller, #2)
  • The Girls Across The Bay (Knox and Sheppard, #1)
  • Roadkill
  • Lady 52 (A Jack Daniels/Nicholas Colt Novel)
  • Dead Wrong (Cal Murphy #7)
  • Run Away Baby
  • Her Deepest Fear (Rosemary Run, #1)
  • Sins of the Child
  • Shame ON You (Redemption Thriller #16; Ozzie Novak Thriller #4)
  • The Sasha McCandless Series: Volume 1 (Books 1-3)
  • Compromised: Thriller Suspense Series (Stephanie Chalice Thrillers Book 6)
  • London Carter Boxed Set: Books 4 - 6
Joe Konrath has written over a dozen novels in the Lt. Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels thriller series. They do not have to be read chronologically to be enjoyed, but the order is: Whiskey Sour, Bloody Mary, Rusty Nail, Dirty Martini, Fuzzy Navel, Cherry Bomb, Shaken, Stirred, Rum Runner, Last Call, White Russian, Shot Girl, and Chaser. More coming soon.

If you love Jack Daniels and her cast of

What Happened to Lori (2 books)
  • Revelations