Start by marking “Down Comes the Night” as Want to Read:
Down Comes the Night

Down Comes the Night

He saw the darkness in her magic. She saw the magic in his darkness.

Wren Southerland’s reckless use of magic has cost her everything: she’s been dismissed from the Queen’s Guard and separated from her best friend—the girl she loves. So when a letter arrives from a reclusive lord, asking Wren to come to his estate, Colwick Hall, to cure his servant from a mysterious illness
Published March 2nd 2021 by Wednesday Books

To ask other readers questions about Down Comes the Night, please sign up.

Start your review of Down Comes the Night
chai ♡
The premise of Down Comes the Night struck me with a deep allure: two enemies, standing on opposite sides of an endless war, find themselves miserably trapped, like a pair of pinned moths, with unknowable terrors inside an estate lurking deep in the dark fog-wreathed mountains, and like any trapped thing, they must scrape up answers and fight to the bitter end, together.

A few quibbles aside, this was a thoughtful and clear-eyed debut. You can read my full review on my blog: here!
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I’ve had a hard time trying to rate this book. I did not like the beginning of the book. In my opinion, this is just a murder mystery. There is a castle and it had the opportunity to be a gothic story but it just wasn’t.

I love the name Wren and was so excited for this book. Wren was an idiot during the beginning of the book. I guess it was the 30% mark it started to get relatively interesting. And I love the cover!

I enjoyed Wren more when she was at the castle taking care of Hal. I enjoyed the
Robin
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, love
↠ 4 stars

There's something about being trapped inside a crumbling mansion with your sworn enemy that can actually be so personal. After Wren Southerland is suspended from the queen's guard for her reckless actions, she travels to the estate of an enigmatic lord who's sought out her healing services for one of his servants. Upon her arrival, she discovers that the very person she's been tasked with healing is none other than Hal Cavendish, an enemy of the kingdom and of Wren herself. As the two g
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Okay! There are gothic, disturbing vibes, a blooming true romance, hateful kingdoms, references to Darwin’s theory of natural selection and Frankenstein and pure magic dances with fantasy genre. This combination seems like an intriguingly fresh, riveting, enjoyable debut novel!

A dark mansion reminds you of Guillermo Del Toro’s dark, claustrophobic world building, a rich, mysterious man keeps very dangerous secret beyond the closed doors, two rivalries dig out mysteries by roaming around the eer
may ➹
Feb 25, 2021 is currently reading it
I heard there was yearning, bi girl rep, and darkness so here I am
Chelsea Humphrey
Nov 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: St. Martin's Press
Happy Pub Day! Now available to purchase.

"Whatever is done unto you, let it be repaid thrice over."

description

Gothic fantasy, romance, a murder mystery, what else could you possibly want from a book? The enemies-to-lovers and forbidden romance tropes are my absolute favorites in the romance world, and this book has both. *chef's kiss* What starts as a misfit trying to avoid being sent to an abby for the remainder of her life quickly turns into Wren realizing that she might have bitten off more than she can
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
A DARK GOTHIC FANTASY REMINISCENT OF GUILLERMO DEL TORO (WITH A BISEXUAL MC AND LOTS OF PINING)?? YES I SAY, VERY MUCH YES

(this book is my literal brand)

edit: look at that cover, gothic vibes aboundddd
megs_bookrack
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
Wren Southerland is a magical healer and the niece of the Queen of Danu, but that hasn't won her any favors. In fact, after her mother's untimely death, her Aunt has always treated her very poorly.

After Wren's empathy causes her to make a mistake on the battlefield, she gets banished from the Queen's Guard and sent back to live in a remote abbey.

Most upsettingly, this causes Wren to be separated from her best friend, Una, a Captain in the Queen's Guard. Una also happens to be the woman Wren love
Mara YA Mood Reader
Even the synopsis is atmospheric! Gives me eerie and wintry chills! Oh 2021-Young Adult, please don’t let me down!!
Cait (Caitsbooks)
Check out this review (and more) over on my blog!

Thank you so much to Netgalley and the publisher for giving me an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Quick Stats:
Overall:
5/5 Stars
Characters: 5/5
Setting: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Plot and Themes: 5/5
Awesomeness Factor: 5/5
Review in a Nutshell: Have you ever felt like a book was made for you? That is how I feel about Down Comes the Night.

// Content Warning: Violence, Death, Torture, Gore, Drugging Someone, War Themes, Murder, Kidnapping/Abduction, Me
Hillary
May 12, 2020 marked it as dnf-zone
Shelves: high-fantasy, arcs
DNF 10% | 5/10/2020

I can’t believe I’m doing this after all the anticipation and excitement...but I am. I can’t believe I even got an arc to begin with and I feel way more guilty than I should, but what can I do.

It’s the second time this year that a YA fantasy with these gothic vibes ends up on my most anticipated reads because of an intriguing dark synopsis, and then I end up really disliking it and being unable to read the entire thing.

I can’t say with certainty if the Guillermo del Toro vibes
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
This debut was a great read! The start was good with the bit of torture love. Hurt to love someone at a distant where that person doesn't return the love. The magic was good, though only two were present; one to kill and one to heal. The main character could be relatable to many readers, myself included, especially when it came to tears spilling out without control. I like Wren's curious minds and despite some sounds made at night that anyone might get scared as ghosts, she would hurry to invest ...more
Miranda Reads
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
description

September Tier List Video is up! Check it out for all my September reads!
The Written Review
description
Niece of the Queen, Wren Southerland has always felt herself a burden.

Her parents are gone, her family is gone (except the Queen) so she realized pretty early on that she needed to make herself useful to gain any sort of recognition. And so she did.

Wren is the most talented healer but despite her power, she's constantly being driven away from the Queen and from her career.

She's too emotional -
Mara
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars - I would say that "objectively," this is probably closer to a 3 star, because I do think there are some pacing and plotting issues with how the book unfolded, particularly in the first ~25%. That said, I had so much fun reading this one, because it was just very much my jam. It's a fantasy romance with a isolated murder mystery plot which... hello. SO me. ...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A gothic story rich in detail, deliciously dark and a little bit of something for everyone. Truly a book for those looking for something different, something extraordinarily and something that will keep them turning the pages coming back for more.

*ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*
ʙᴇʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Real rating: 3,5 stars
Wren is a member of the Queen’s Guard who uses her medical knowledge to assist her best friend, Lieutenant Una.
From the very beginning, Wren gets into trouble because of her kindness. They're a very distinct contrast between Una and Wren, as Una is willing to do anything to fulfill her duty but Wren is easily swayed by her emotions and feelings.
On the other side of the war, there's a powerful enemy of Wren's Kingdom, and he is Hal Cavendish, a boy who is able to kill merci
Dark River
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't quite know what to say. There's these kinds of books out there that you take one glance at and you know you'll love them. I don't even mean just because of a pretty cover - I'm pretty sure DCTN didn't even have one when I first heard of it - but rather because of something not fully palpable about the book itself.

This is one of them. I knew I would love Down Comes The Night and I do, I do, I do. I haven't read a book that managed to give me exactly what I wanted in such precise, perfect
☙ nemo ❧ (pagesandprozac)
title from a fleetwood mac song??

guillermo del toro-esque world??

gothic romance???

give it to meeeeeee!!!!
Leah
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amm-fam, hall-of-fame
Don't you just love it when one of your most anticipated novels doesn't disappoint? It's dark and macabre, it's gothic and chilling, and it's terribly romantic.

Full review at Write, Read, Repeat

Wren Southerland is a military healer sidelined by her own reckless actions. She is a kind-hearted bastard girl with a lot of deeply felt emotions, and all it earns her is zero respect from her aunt, the queen of Danu. So, when the opportunity to step back into the queen's good graces arises, Wren takes
Alaina
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Down Comes the Night was such a fun book to dive into! Even if I predicted who the villain was way before it was revealed. It was just way too obvious not to think of that one person being evil. I will also admit that this book had some interesting twists as well.. but some of it was, again, a bit predictable.

Don't get me wrong, I devoured this book when I was awake and had coffee in me. There was just something about Hal a
ash | novelly rooted
First I would like to thank St. Martin's Press/Wednesday Books for inviting me to read this early through Netgalley. Down Comes the Night was a solid 3 stars. There was nothing inherently wrong but it didn't bring anything new or unique to the genre either. It was a young adult fantasy using the same overused tropes in the same way as hundreds who have come before.

The story goes: Wren is part of the Queen's Guard but becomes dismissed. She receives a letter from the Lord of Colwick Hall asking f
Isabel Ibañez
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
GET READY FOR THIS ONE PEOPLE!
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Wednesday Books via NetGalley for the wish-granted early read of Down Comes the Night by Allison Saft.

Overall this is a decent standalone? fantasy/romance, and seems to be pretty YA appropriate. The advertised age range is 13-18 on Amazon and I can see that.  The description gives away the first couple huge plot twists though, so there's that.

Let's start with the world building. The religious and political bits are pretty well explained, even the military structure, but the humanita
Andy
Thank you to Wednesday books for sending me an ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

The MC is a disaster bi, it is confirmed.

Down Comes the Night is a gothic fantasy about a magical healer who could find the answers to stopping a war between her home country and their centuries long adversary. Wren is the niece of the Queen of Danu, but their relationship has been strained. Wren only wants the Queen's approval, but her constant misconduct in the Queen's Guard has landed
Kaya
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m not really sure where to start.
Do I begin with the writing style? The characters? The atmosphere? The plot? There are countless elements that make up a great novel, and I’m happy to say that Down Comes The Night very nearly exceeded at each and every one of them.

This is a world where two magical kingdoms have been fighting over land for years and years, while a kingdom with only technological advancements sits untouched in the mountains. The magic is called fola, and it’s unique to every per
Diana | Book of Secrets
Feb 15, 2021 marked it as sorry-not-for-me
I would like to thank the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book. Unfortunately, it's not a good fit for me, so I'm stopping at 25%. DOWN COMES THE NIGHT was billed as a gothic romance fantasy, so I was anticipating something like a young adult Wuthering Heights with a magical element. To me, it's not gothic at all, just fantasy, which I don't care for. I also didn't find the main character Wren appealing — immature, making dumb decisions. Perhaps her character grows as th ...more
Carrie
Jan 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Review coming soon.
AJ
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Received this arc and I can’t wait to dive in!

”Because you are the only person who has seen me for something beyond my magic. As anything but a monster.”

Although this book didn’t have the “gothic” setting I was expecting, it still had a dark, eerie setting, mystery, a slow-burn romance, unique magic and was absolutely fantastic!

The story sucks you in from the very first page as we meet Wren, a defiant, self conscious healer. Wren was such a relatable character. A young woman trying to prove
cossette
what a hauntingly beautiful, captivating book. rtc.
birdie
Mar 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, arcs, lgbtqiap
hi, it is me: an emotionally unstable reader that will scream at you to read this book.

okay. when i tell you i’m OBSESSED with this book, i’m telling you i sacrificed my last bit of sanity while reading this book. i read 400 pages in one sitting. am i okay?

HA! no?? i just sat down and read for close to an entire day??

like i said: my sanity is gone. but would i do it again? y e s !

so follow my wise advice and become as big a mess as me: read this book and scream (preferably in my dms, hint hint).
Allison Saft was born in a Philadelphia blizzard and has been chasing the sun ever since. After receiving her MA in English Literature from Tulane University, she moved from the Gulf Coast to the West Coast, where she spends her time hiking the redwoods and practicing aerial silks. Down Comes the Night is her debut novel.

• Amelia Unabridged
  • The Stolen Kingdom
  • The Dead and the Dark
  • Malice
  • Perfect on Paper
  • Namesake (Fable, #2)
  • The Project
  • The Descent of the Drowned (The Descent of the Drowned, #1)
  • A Dowry of Blood
  • The Family Upstairs
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • The Wolf and the Woodsman
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • A Golden Fury
  • These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)
  • Of Wicked Blood (The Quatrefoil Chronicles, #1)
  • A Dark and Hollow Star (A Dark and Hollow Star, #1)
  • Red Tigress (Blood Heir Trilogy, #2)

Articles featuring this book

“Maybe the only difference between a monster and a hero was the colour of a soldier's uniform” 0 likes