Start by marking “Tiny Little Brother” as Want to Read:
Tiny Little Brother

Tiny Little Brother

The journey of one big sister and her tiny little brother told through a poetic short story. Dedicated to big sisters, big brothers, little sisters and little brothers everywhere. From the #1 Munn Quay Times bestselling author, Leva Khal.
Published June 2nd 2019 by Ania Inna ra

To ask other readers questions about Tiny Little Brother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tiny Little Brother

Belinda
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars - complementary Ebook by the author ☘☘☘
It has to sink in. This story is so honest that it hurts.
I can not decide this is a book for adults, teens or kids. But surely it is a book for little brothers and big sisters. Or for big brothers and little sisters. 🐥🐥🐥
I liked ready it. But it took some time to give it a place and a review. 🦋🦋🦋
marilyn
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is for teens, young adults, and adults and is both written and illustrated by Leva Khal. I was attracted to it because of the cover art but inside there is so much more. This is a nitty gritty little book, showing how a baby born into the family of a sixteen year old girl, changes her life for the better despite the heartaches of life. This book also touches on depression, separation, the harms of trying to overachieve, and leaving those you love to find what is best for you. But still ...more
etherealfire
poignant, touching
Rebecca McNutt
Tiny Little Brother, a poetic fiction story complete with simple, engaging illustrations, is a lot deeper than it appears at first glance. An honest, un-sugarcoated look at a real family and a sister whose younger brother eventually leads to conflict, Tiny Little Brother really doesn't lie about the struggles that can happen between siblings, and it deals with heavy themes such as depression and sibling rivalry, but ultimately it's a book about how a brother and sister can be different people an ...more
Susan's Reviews
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times cute, many times joyful and contemplative during the early years. Then they start to age, conflicts arise and big sister and little brother start to live their own lives . A sweet but also realistic story.
My thanks to the author for a complimentary ebook in exchange for an honest review.
Cara Smyth
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful story about the love a big sister has for her little brother. Full of love and emotion and truth this book is beautifully illustrated and written
chloe ♡
i was granted a review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

what an adorable little story told in verse. the illustrations were so cute, and the author described the love-hate relationship between siblings really well.
Anastasia シ
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, arc
*a copy was provided by NetGalley*

Super adorable book!
I don't read poetry often, but I when I do I always seem to choose something I actually like. It was simple, had engaging illustrations, and is a lot deeper than it appears.
This tells the story of the love a big sister has for her little brother. I'm an only child so I couldn't personally relate to it. But I can relate in some ways, like when I visit my younger cousins (9 &12), I definitely see something similar to what was described.
I'
Melissa
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older sisters who helped raise their baby brothers
Recommended to Melissa by: Leva Khal
This was a bittersweet poetic picture book that touches upon more serious themes of family and growing up.

I would recommend this to those who helped raise their baby siblings. I think many older siblings (specifically older sisters) would enjoy this book or be able to relate to it more. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of those people since I only have a younger brother who is only a year younger than I am. I've never treated my brother as a baby and was never very protective of him.... (in fact, he
Anomaly
I'm so conflicted by this book. I found it in the YA section, but it's far closer to a children's book because it's so simplistic in both art style and writing. Most second graders would be able to understand the book with minimal help from an adult (or older sibling). Teens... I honestly can't imagine they'd be able to read this without feeling embarrassment because of how simply it's written.

In fact, I found it so odd that this is from the perspective of someone who was sixteen when her little
Eileen
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is a sibling, anyone who enjoys poetry
I had to sit with this one a bit to fully realize the impact of the book. I initially categorized it as a children's book, but now that I have had time to think of it, I think it's got a lot to say for young adults, and really anyone who is a sibling. Poetry is not my favorite genre, partly because I don't always "get it", but I was drawn to this book because of the title and the illustration on the cover. This book covers the relationship between older sister and baby brother, and it is realist ...more
Vanessa
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-x
Tiny Little Brother by Leva Khal is a sweet little book about a young girl who is sixteen and how she copes with her new baby brother. It's cleverly written and takes you through the stages of his life and how she deals with it and comes to love her new brother. This book touches on separation, depression, sibling rivalry, jealousy, and how she deals with it. I love the illustrations throughout, they may be simple but, a lot of thought and love has been put into these to go with the story.
This
Clare Bird
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
Tiny Little Brother by Leva Khal
Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for my honest review!

I give this book four out of five birds. I was first drawn to the book because of the cover. I’m a sucker for a good cover. I don’t often read poetry, but I did enjoy the flow of this book. I think the reason this book resonated with me, especially right now, is because I just had my third baby and it’s a boy. I’ve loved watching his two older sisters adapt to him. This book describes some
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book through NetGalley and the author. I thought it was a children’s book until I read it. I’m not a big fan or poems but this flowed nicely and was easy to follow. It’s a touching story of an older sister being surprised by the birth or her little brother. Without giving spoilers, it touches on all aspects of both the older sister and little brother’s lives as they grow into adults. The struggles of the sister and how she thinks her little brother sees her and how he really sees ...more
Asriani
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tiny Little Brother is a quick read book. This simple narrative poetry is beautiful. It is about big sister and her little brother. Although it is a poetic story, I could feel the bond between them and how it was developed and getting stronger.

Another thing I like from this book is its cute illustration
Renée
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not expect this book to touch me as much as it did. I do not have siblings, but I could still relate to almost every sentence in this book.
I will not comment on the poetry itself since poetry is not something I read regularly.

I think this is a book that should be read multiple times and that one should take their time reading it. I relate so much with the main character and I believe she faces struggles and shows us a reality that we all recognize in our daily lives.

My only complaint is
Meg
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written book full of poems about a little brother and an older sister.

This book nearly brought me to tears. It shows how the little brother is growing up through the sisters eyes and all the struggles she is going through at the same time.

It shows the bond between family and relationships and how we should always take a moment in our day to appreciate it.
Amy
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully heartwarming short story told through poetry and illustrations. The rhythm brought out the passion and the simple yet elegant art style enhanced this charming tale of the ups and downs but ultimate love of family.
Tiffany
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This sweet story follows a big sister and a little brother through the different stages of their life. It was a quick and enjoyable read.
Jordan
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free in a Goodreads giveaway.

I think this story is more for older children and teens, the poems are very simple rhymes and words easy enough for a second grader to read. The story is fairly simple also and I think it actually could have had more depth. I would have enjoyed that. The ending is rather abrupt. The illustrations are very nice. The style is sort of webcomic meets Madeline.
Cindy
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I expected

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sad, depressing, and real. Wasn't what I expected and I'm not all that interested in poetry.
Sam
At first this seems to be a light hearted and joyful poem about a new addition to the famiy told through the eyes of the big sister. But as with life things change as both grow older and have to face the real world in all its darkness and cruelty covering themes as diverse as sibling rivalry and peer pressure to depression and social anxiety. The words themselves remain light even as their meaning darkens, creating a poem that increases in impact long after you've finished reading. The illustrat ...more
Angie B.
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea really what this book was when I opened it to read it. I won it in a giveaway, it caught my eye because I am a big sister to a tiny little brother. Initially I was a little disappointed that I was unable to open it on my kindle, but as it turned out I didn’t mind reading it on my phone because it was a quick read.

I enjoyed the illustrations, they were a pleasant surprise that I wasn’t expecting. I am 9 years older than my one and only brother, so I could relate to the sister a lot
Debbi Hicks
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tiny Little Brother is a short story written in prose. Big Sister isn't happy that a Baby is coming. Everything she feels changes as he grows. This is not a Children's Book I'd say it's more for older teens and adult siblings. This story could have probably made a beautiful full length novel. I did think of relationships with siblings who are much older than you and this is an accurate portrayal for many. I thought the illustrations were delightful and would consider gifting this to a MUCH older ...more
Elizabeth
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, goodreads, family
I like the way the story flowed, and the the illustrations grew on me more and more. The book is funny, sweet, sad, and wistful in places.

There were one or two spots where I wasn't quite sure I was correctly understanding what exactly had happened. I would have liked to have things explained a bit in an afterward, but that probably has more to do with my lack of familiarity with poetry than anything else. Still, I did enjoy the story and the way it was told.
Regina Tula
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet Relational Story

The sibling cycle is beautifully highlighted in this charming story of love between sibliling. Add the parental dynamic and the stresses of life's survival for a young adult and you have a golden combination. One where the loss of time it is realized, and love of self is realized; most important.
Eva
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's complicated! This was a book that took little time to read yet a long time to digest. The story has many layers, some sweet and loving and some disturbing and frightening. Through it all, the big sister does her best to hold herself together and give her brother all the love she can. I am sure I will read this book again and again.
El
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-reading
This just wasn’t for me (after I waited so long for the Ebook to work too!)
Some of the prose didn’t flow right & the images just weren’t great, like I know they were meant to be that kind of style but it just wasn’t for me.
Lexy
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, comics, poetry
The writing wasn’t my style, but the story and the art leveled it up for me. This book deals with depression and family, two hard subjects well developed.

I’m at lost for better words, I just wish the writing was a little more adult.
Lucy
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Odd little book, I thought the first half was quite good, nice story for young teenagers about a new addition to the family, it then turned a bit dark but I don't know why, this would make it for older teens. The pictures are great, fun and definitely tell the story.
Leva Khal grew up in a limbo between the contrasting worlds of the Middle East and the West. She found herself lost, with an identity crisis, wandering in search of a sanctuary, where she could discover her true self. She would eventually build her own in the art of poetry and storytelling, on her journey to find herself and make sense of her world.
“If someone