Start by marking “The Last Sister (Columbia River, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last Sister (Columbia River, #1)

The Last Sister

(Columbia River #1)

Three sisters’ secrets collide in a shocking novel of suspense by the Wall Street Journal and Amazon Charts bestselling author of the Mercy Kilpatrick series.

Twenty years ago Emily Mills’s father was murdered, and she found his body hanging in the backyard. Her younger sister, Madison, claims she was asleep in her room. Her older sister, Tara, claims she was out with

Published January 14th 2020 by Montlake

Start your review of The Last Sister (Columbia River, #1)
Maureen Carden
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, fbi, netgalley
The Last Sister by Kendra Elliot succeeds on several levels. First off if gives us an updated look at Ava and Mason even though they still aren’t married. Will summer never come? Then there is the delight in knowing this is the beginning of a new Elliot series, so don’t worry if you haven’t read previous books of the FBI agents. Finally, this is a first rate mystery involving brutal murders, hate crimes, some zany characters and a missing sister.
I am saving--at least for prior readers of the
Berit☀️✨
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a compelling crime thriller. This is the first book in Kendra Elliot’s new Columbia River series. Mystery, history, romance, sisters, small town, racism, Family secrets, zany aunts. Emily is shook to the core when she finds her friend’s dead body stabbed multiple times and her husband dead as well hung from a tree. The first thought is that this is a murder suicide, but Emily is not convinced. This is too similar to a prior murder in this small town years ago when Emily‘s father ...more
Erin
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, series, kindle
Thanks to Netgalley and Montlake Romance for an egalley in exchange for an honest review.

FBI Agents Zander Wells and his partner, Ava McClane, find themselves in a small Orgeon town that has just witnessed a horrific murder. A couple slain in their home and the husband hung by his neck in the backyard. Is it a murder-suicide? A racially motivated crime? Or is it connected to a long ago murder? Although the local police resent their presence, the agents cannot but help feel that someone is
Linda Strong
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it

Emily Mills' father was murdered 20 years ago. She found him hanging from the tree in their backyard. This seems to have set off a chain of events ... her mother eventually committed suicide .... her older sister disappeared and hasn't been seen or heard from since.

This night, her friends and neighbors were brutally murdered. The wife was stabbed multiple times, her husband was found hanging from a tree.

It's like deja vu all over again. Emily and her sister have tried to forget their childhood
Carrie
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Review coming soon.
Dianne
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My Rating: 4.5 Stars!

Small town secrets can be deadly, especially if they are left to fester for twenty years and history repeats itself. A closed case may not be closed after all and a new double homicide may be linked to the dirty little secrets that hide in plain sight as racial hatred rears its ugly head, once again.

The murder of Emily’s father destroyed her family and a man was punished, but two new racially motivated murders will bring FBI agent Zander Wells to Oregon. Together, Emily and
Sophia
A gritty death with ties to a dark past, a family keeping secrets, and a small Oregon coastal town ready to boil over when a pair of FBI agents rush to get to the bottom of things. Tension is high and the path to the truth has to twist and turn its way to the end before all is said and done. I wouldn't have it any other way when it comes to a Kendra Elliot book. This one lived up to expectation and I'm thirsty for more.

The Last Sister is a standalone story in a new series. It does spin off an
İlkim
I received a copy of this book via Netgalley.com in exchange for an honest review.

Lately Kendra Elliot became one of my favorite authors. This book was listed fifth book in the Callahan & McLane series in Netgalley; so I didn't want to start from the last one, I read previous four books before. And I realized this one could be read by alone, you don't need the know about Callahan & McLane books. Our main character is FBI agent Zander Wells and he is partner of Ava McLane. They are
☕️Kimberly
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
From the violent crime scene we stumble upon in the opening scene with Emily Mills, we know something sinister has happened in this small Oregon town where everyone knows everyone. For Emily the scene in the backyard is all too familiar and when the local sheriff talks murder-suicide, Emily puts a call into the FBI.

FBI Zander Wells and his partner Ava McLane arrive on the scene hours later. The crime scene is a mess, but the young woman who called was right, this appears to be a hate crime and
Trude
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
20 years ago....a man in a small Oregon coastal town was hanged and his family nearly destroyed. Present day...a young African American teacher is stabbed to death and his body left hanging from a tree, his young wife brutally murdered. FBI agents Zander Wells and his partner are sent to investigate the deaths as possible hate crimes. This is a fast paced tension filled story with several surprises along the way. I loved it!! I've spent quite a bit of time along this section of the Oregon Coast ...more
Jackie
Book Info
Expected publication: January 14th 2020 by Montlake Romance
ISBN 1542006708 (ISBN13: 9781542006705)
Series Callahan & McLane #5
Other Editions (4)
Source:Netgalley EARC
Buy book from
Amazon B&N

BOOK BLURB

Kathy Martin
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Emily Mills goes to an employee's home to see why she is late for work, she isn't expecting to find her employee murdered and her black husband also murdered and hanging from a tree in their backyard. This brings backs horrible memories for Emily whose own father was hanged twenty years earlier. When the local sheriff looks like he's going to call it a murder-suicide, Emily decides to call in the FBI.

Zander Wells and his partner Ava McLane come to begin their investigation since it could be
BleuBelle
The mystery and the writing were great. I would have loved to have more romance in the book (there's only a kiss and a promise of a future).
Carolyn McBride
This was a pretty good book. I enjoyed the setting, It felt real enough that I could easily imagine being soaked to the skin by the damp fog. I connected easily enough with Zander, really felt bad for the guy in a couple of places. His heart is good, even if damaged. It was nice to see that something good eventually came his way. Poor Ava, though!

The Aunties were a hoot. Each of them was distinct, no matter that they all coordinated. I loved the fact that nearly everyone in the cast had
Sonia Cristina
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I had great joy reading the books featuring Mercy and Truman, but I’m so excited that Kendra Elliot returned to the characters from the previous series, Callahan & McLane series! Zander was an intriguing character in that series and I so wanted to see him featuring his own book and I was so excited for the release of The Last Sister.

It was so exciting to see Zander, Ava and Mason; these characters are very special and I missed them. I'm the kind of reader that, sometimes, falls more for the
I liked both MCs in the first installment of this brand new series. Both had endured something(s) that was horrific and lived to tell the tale. I liked that there wasn't much romance in this one and that they took things slow. Seeing Ava and her man (can't remember his name, sorry!) was a nice touch too. The mystery was surprising, and while I didn't really get the feeling that I could've ever figured out the identity of the perpetrator on my own, I do feel like it all made sense in the end.

I'm
Carolyn
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elliot-kendra
This small, economically depressed town has a secret and it is a doozy! Murder, eccentric unconventional characters and decades old mysteries combined with racially charged overtones contribute to this new book from Kendra Elliot. Another gripping page turner from this talented author.
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews
4.5 fantastic stars. This was a great who done it mystery. I loved that it is connected to Ava’s series. I really am looking forward to the next one in the series. I really think the writing as always is super.
Stephanie Phillips (Stephanie's Book Reports)
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.

I love a good suspense book. Add in a touch of romance and sold! The Last Sister is a great combination of both. Though really the focus of this book is really the women and the murders. Not so much the romance. Works for me though. I read this book really quickly...didn't want to put it down.

I enjoyed getting to know these characters and seeing what they're made of. Pretty sure you will enjoy them as well. I mean, how much stuff can a
Faith Hurst-Bilinski
The Last Sister was good. That is literally all that came to mind when I finished reading it. It was good. It wasn't great. It wasn't bad. It wasn't something I would tell people they had to go and read but if they asked I'd say, sure.

The best part are Zander and Ava. I want to know more about them. Ava especially since she barely appeared in this one but there seems like there is a lot there to unpack if you flesh it out. Maybe that was in another book. I may have to go back and read that. The
Kaye
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it
If you're a mystery reader who steers clear of romance novels, don't be put off by the fact that The Last Sister is published by Montlake Romance. The author Kendra Elliot -- while known as a mystery-romance writer -- does a good job in this book (just as she does in her Mercy Kilpatrick "prepper" series) at using the romantic thread of the narrative only as the spice to the story. It is one of the lesser ingredients, perhaps in the proportion that romance actually occurs in most of our lives.

In
Anne - Books of My Heart
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, coyer, ng-pub-author
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I discovered this author with the Mercy Kilpatrick series and decided to try this new Columbia River series. I'm totally in a mystery/thriller with a touch of romance mood so The Last Sister fit well. The murder case is in the foreground with the romance barely there.

The law enforcement in the story are smart and caring. They
Tracy Wood
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finding a dead body is something that stays with you, especially if, as a child, it was your father who died. Emily Mills had tried, successfully for the most part, to keep the dark memories from that day hidden but when she discovers a second body twenty years later everything rushes back at her. She has always known her family had secrets, secrets she had never tried to discover but now everything is different and the past is about to catch up to her.

Special Agent Zander Wells and his partner
Farshana S A
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Many thanks to Net Galley , Montlake Romance and Kendra Elliot for this awesome book.

This is my first book by Kendra Elliot even though her books have been popping up on my recommendations list for a while now and am more than happy that her book did deliver the goods. The Last Sister is partly a family drama and partly a murder mystery. There's a dash of romance too that adds brilliantly into the story.

3 sisters, Tara, Emily and Madison are victims of a crime nearly 20 years ago that destroyed
Reen
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you NetGalley for the copy of The Last Sister by Kendra Elliot that I read and reviewed.
This book was just okay for me. From the start I felt like I was starting in the middle of a book that I had already missed part of. I know that Zander and his partner had a past in a previous book that I had already read but frankly I don’t remember much about it because I read over 100 book a year and without a bit of a back story to refresh my memory it is hard to set things apart and this was one of
Dean Williams
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this advanced reader copy from NetGalley and Montlake. The following review reflects my honest thoughts on the book.

“The facts were tenuously connected, as in a spiderweb, many pieces were missing.”

The Barton family are the foundation and backbone of Bartonville and are central to many of the secrets hidden within this small, remote, coastal town. When the investigation of a double murder becomes the job of FBI agents Zander Wells and Ava McClane these buried secrets begin to
Pelusa Rivera
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a while that I have read a Kendra Elliott and I was so happy that I did. This is a new series and it started out with a boom! We meet FBI agent Zander and Wellls and he is partnering with Ava McLane. They are investigating a possible murder having to do with race. We get connections from the KKK, and a murder that happened 20 years before..Grab and Enjoy!
April
The Last Sister
Columbia River, Book 1
By: Kendra Elliot

This was an interesting suspenseful murder mystery.

The narration was well done. The characters were well portrayed by: Cassandra Campbell, Mikael Naramore.

I borrowed this book from Kindle Unlimited.
Kate (kate_reads_)
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Thank you to Brilliance Audio for the advance listening copy of The Last Sister.

I really enjoyed the audiobook performance of this story - it was told alternating between a male and female narrator following two of the main characters and I enjoyed that.

However, the story itself fell a little flat for me. I never felt particularly connected to any of the characters. In one case where there was supposed to be a romantic connection - I just didn’t see it. Learning about the current murders and
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Kendra Elliot is the Wall Street Journal and Amazon Charts bestselling author of the Mercy Kilpatrick series. She has sold over 7 million books worldwide and is a three time winner of the Daphne du Maurier award.

• Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert #1)
  • Wind Chill (Stormwatch #3)
  • Snow Brides (Stormwatch #5)
  • Deep Freeze (Stormwatch #2)
  • Little Secrets
  • Frozen Ground (Stormwatch #1)
  • Cold Heart Creek (Detective Josie Quinn #7)
  • Down the Darkest Road (Cady Maddix Mystery, #2)
  • Snow Blind (Stormwatch #6)
  • Black Ice (Stormwatch #4)
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • Whisper of Bones (Widow's Island #3)
  • You Are Not Alone
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • The Lies We Hide
  • The Last Wife
  • Close to You
  • Snow Creek (Detective Megan Carpenter, #1)
An Amazon #1 selling author, Kendra Elliot has sold over 7 Million books and been on the WSJ best seller list ten times.

She grew up in the lush Pacific Northwest and still lives there with her family and three cats. She's fascinated with forensics, refuses to eat anything green, and dreams of living every day in flip flops.

*New series!* THE LAST SISTER and THE SILENCE