Start by marking “No More Naps!: A Story for When You're Wide-Awake and Definitely NOT Tired” as Want to Read:
No More Naps!: A Story for When You're Wide-Awake and Definitely NOT Tired

No More Naps!: A Story for When You're Wide-Awake and Definitely NOT Tired

It’s time for a nap but, just like stubborn toddlers everywhere, Annalise Devin McFleece won’t have anything to do with bedtime. Dad tries to encourage sleepiness by pushing her around the park in her stroller. Along the way, they pass a man sitting on a bench, dog walkers walking dogs, a boy on a skateboard, kids playing ball, a girl practicing her juggling, and others. E ...more
Published February 4th 2020 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about No More Naps!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No More Naps!

Start your review of No More Naps!: A Story for When You're Wide-Awake and Definitely NOT Tired
Calista
I was around for my niece and nephew as tots and neither one of them liked naps. The niece would take a nap, but the nephew might sleep 30 minutes tops. He is not a sleeper. It was rough.

This story is about a tot who will not nap. She screams and shrieks so loud that the whole neighborhood can hear her above the construction worker with a jackhammer. So, the father takes her for a ride in the stroller and she will not sleep, but she is quiet. Then a man on a park bench says, if you will not nap
Bea
Is that cover not perfect? Completely irresistible. Illustrator Espinosa perfectly captures a pissed off toddler. Just look at that expressive face, the eyes, the rigid body. Yeah, Espinosa has spent time around a toddler, lol. That same care is seen inside the book. With a few lines and color, Espinosa captures a toddlers emotional highs and lows as well as the poor folks having to deal with a tired, uncooperative toddler.

Annalise Devin McFleece does NOT want to nap. Her parents are tired, the
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

I've lost count of how many times I've read this book! I read it to the girls when it arrived (I like to get their reactions to books meant for them), and they've asked me to read it over and over again. I think it's because they can relate to the main character, since they never want to take naps themse
Lindsey
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
My daughter and I both yawned about twenty times while reading. It would be cute for storytime.
Sara Grochowski
My 3-year old nephew found this story hilarious! He's a bit too antsy for the full length text, but we read bits - especially the loooong, drawn out cries from the nap-resisting Annalise - and named and counted different animals, identifed who was sleeping and who was awake in each scene, and practiced predicting what might happen next. The illustrations are wonderfully expressive and perfect for mimicking and identifying! ...more
Becky B
Annalise Devin McFleece refuses to take a nap. Her crankiness is infiltrating the entire neighborhood with its loudness, so her Dad takes her on a walk in hopes that will put her to sleep. Everyone they meet is more than willing to take a nap and soon the entire community is napping except Annalise. Will she ever nap?

This is a very humorous reverse psychology (and kind of reverse Sleeping Beauty) tale. A little touch of hyperbole, a fantastic situation, and an unconventional solution to a common
Rod Brown
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
A stubborn toddler refuses to nap (which gave me some bad flashbacks to my daughter's often sleepless childhood). I thought it unfolded in a sort of bland and silly way as everyone except the little girl started falling asleep . . . until my daughter pointed out it was rather turning into the scenario for a horror movie. Alas, that potential was not realized.

(FYI - My daughter is back from college due to coronavirus, so she, my wife and I spent an hour reading picture books aloud together.)
Jamille Parks
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
This was cute. I liked how they were all going to sleep to help the little girl go to sleep.
Edward Sullivan
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Napping is not something anyone has to encourage me to do.
Rebecca Ann
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great choice for parents of children who have just learned the word No. The story helps children understand their feelings, the consequences of their actions, and how to manage it all.
Becky
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First sentence: Annalise Devin McFleece did not want to take a nap. She would fuss. She would fume. She would scream. She would shriek. But she would not ever--no, NEVER--take a nap. (Do you know anyone like that?)

Premise/plot: Annalise Devin McFleece stars in this oh-so-relatable picture book. It's a good example of what you see is what you get. When a book is titled NO MORE NAPS! parents know exactly what to expect. The cover pictures a defiant, cranky red-haired baby who looks ready to put up
Kate
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a cute children’s picture book about a little girl who refuses to take a nap. Everybody else in the world decides to nap, so there’s no more naps left for her to take.
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
This was a cute story about one little girl that won't nap. Her dad takes her on a walk and everyone they encounter falls asleep. My the end the little girl is tired, but there are no more naps available! Luckily, she finds a friend to offer her one of theirs.

My daughter and I really enjoyed reading this story. The illustrations were a great visual to go with the story. It was an engaging read and one we will read again and again!

I was provided an advanced review copy of this book for free. I a
Beth
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the most adorable book! I wish my kids were still little. They would have loved this!
Katie Fitzgerald
This is a fun take on the toddler who refuses to nap. My current toddler actually doesn't resist naps that much, but she does grumble and fuss like the girl in the book about other things, and I think my bigger kids will find that amusing. For a story time, it would be really fun to pair this with a book like Silly Sally for a different spin on the sleepy theme. I'm going to hang onto my copy until we resume story time this summer to see if I can make that work! ...more
Rich Farrell
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is adorable, with great facial expressions on little Annalise Devin McFleece and a story that is both silly and sensical.
Karen
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This toddler has a very strong opinion about nap time. She does NOT approve. Her patient but seriously sleepy daddy takes her for a walk in the park as a last resort. Everyone there is ready for a nice rejuvenating rest. As her dad pushes her stroller, seemingly asleep on his feet, our girl is finally drowsy, but will she sleep? She does, and gets a much needed nap at last.

A darling and determined little girl is a humorous heroine in this picture book about a negative napper. The illustrations e
Barbara
There's no denying that chapter book author Chris Grabenstein is funny and imaginative. In this picture book--his first--he describes a situation with which many new parents may be familiar but takes it in a surprisingly different direction. Annalise Devin McFleece simply won't go to sleep no matter what her parents try. In a desperate attempt to lull her to sleep, her father heads outdoors and strolls her around the park, thinking the motion will have the right effect on her. But Annalise stays ...more
Kathryn
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-read
Liked it
Beth
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sometimes it take a village to get a kid to nap... or in this case, a whole city.
Kelsey
Age: Toddler-Preschool

Annalise Devin McFleece is a stubborn little nap-avoider. Her dad desperately takes her for a calming stroll in the park where they see every other sentient being fall asleep before she does. Not being one to back down, she becomes enraged that all the naps have already been taken until a kind cat offers her one of his.

Silly, undeniably relatable, and soothing for the nap-averse. Perfect to the T.
Randi
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cute twist on this. What happens if all of the naps are taken when you finally decide you need one?
Jaymie
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
So cute!
Leslie
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a brand new picture book. The kids enjoyed it at Story Time.
Ruby
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Funny and cute to read aloud, we liked going over all the people and animals sleeping.
Kari
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An adorable book with great illustrations that makes children laugh and is an enjoyable family read.
Nik
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm NOT sleepy! ...more
Pam
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations capture this toddler's expressions so clearly. Parents everywhere will identify with this struggle. She's determined to stay awake and defies all persuasions until the whole world is sleeping. Then she wants to do it too. Humor comes through clearly.
A terrific read aloud for families.
Mala Ashok
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
When it's time for a nap, Annalise McFleece doesn't what to take a nap. She says the only word she knows, "No" and adds "Waaaa.." to it. Her father takes her to the park hoping she will fall asleep; but that only causes all the creatures in the park to fall asleep! At last she feels sleepy but...read this well-illustrated, well written book to find out what happens! ...more
Michele
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a fabulous read-aloud where sleepy people volunteer to take a nap for energetic Annalise; and when she is finally ready for some rest, all the naps are already taken!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Sun Flower Lion
  • The Heart of a Whale
  • Don't Feed the Coos!
  • We Are Water Protectors
CHRIS GRABENSTEIN is a #1 New York Times bestselling. His books include the LEMONCELLO LIBRARY series, the WONDERLAND series, and many fun and funny page-turners co-authored with James Patterson. You can visit Chris at ChrisGrabenstein.com.